Samsung UNXXF6400 Thread - Page 13 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #361 of 881 Old 08-29-2013, 07:29 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Does anyone know if that set fares well in regards to gaming? And does the micro dimming positively, or negatively affect the picture quality when gaming? Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #362 of 881 Old 08-30-2013, 04:22 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
The review just came out on CNET.com and it was average. The reviewer says black levels are not that good and picture quality is that great. To any owners of this set, is this accurate? I bought the 75 inch yesterday. Here is the link.

http://m.cnet.com/reviews/samsung-un75f6400/35650367
post #363 of 881 Old 08-30-2013, 07:35 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Typical reviewer nonsense IMO. Many others are guilty of what cnet is doing here. They review the 55" and apply their findings to all size sets in the line. This is a patently bad idea since different sized panels are sourced differently (sometimes even the same sizes panels are sourced differently...) yielding often wildly different results even though the sets otherwise share the same features. I understand they can't review every size, but IMO they need to remove references to other sizes in the review.

He faults the stand yet the stand for the 75" is different that the one for the smaller sets.

He compares the PQ to other mfr sets, some of which however are not available in 75", making the comparison meaningless.

He faults off axis viewing though these sets are not especially worse than almost every other edge lit led that I've seen. In other words, it's more a technology limitation than a fault of the 6400.

He left dynamic contrast off but it does produce improved perceived contrast even if it may result in some loss of shadow detail. It may not be technically accurate to use this but it can improve the perceived black levels.

He also set hdmi black to Normal when Low is the correct settings. He says that it said greyed out, but he should've tried a source that allows you to switch. Once you switch it stays as such. Low is the correct setting for Video levels and may explain his complaints about the black levels.

As for his comments about PQ I simply have to disagree. Though blacks are obviously not reference level, they are easily "good enough" when combined with great color accuracy and the immersive size at 75" to yield a very satisfying experience. Throw in the current $3500 price and I think this set is a steal. I suppose I'm biased but if I weren't happy with my 75" (and I paid $4k for it...) I would've returned it.

Stuck up, half witted, scruffy looking, nerf herder.
Double True!
post #364 of 881 Old 08-30-2013, 10:58 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by legnaz View Post

The review just came out on CNET.com and it was average. The reviewer says black levels are not that good and picture quality is that great. To any owners of this set, is this accurate? I bought the 75 inch yesterday. Here is the link.

http://m.cnet.com/reviews/samsung-un75f6400/35650367

Some of the gripes are accurate (but minor) but I'd say they're off on the picture quality. Here's another review that is more accurate based on my experience with the TV so far:

http://reviews.lcdtvbuyingguide.com/samsung-lcd-tv/samsung-un55f6400.html

Don't believe everything on the Interwebz! A duck's quack DOES echo!
post #365 of 881 Old 08-30-2013, 02:31 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulpa View Post

Some of the gripes are accurate (but minor) but I'd say they're off on the picture quality. Here's another review that is more accurate based on my experience with the TV so far:

http://reviews.lcdtvbuyingguide.com/samsung-lcd-tv/samsung-un55f6400.html

Agreed.

Double True!
post #366 of 881 Old 08-30-2013, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulpa View Post

I agree as well... The Samsung F6400 is a great TV. I had the Vizio M Series and the picture quality was good but really dark and had a lot of uniformity issues. With the low amount of calibration options I was unable to fix a lot of issues with the Vizio. Unfortunatly I had to return it and got a Samsung F6400 instead. The Samsung has a lot of options for calibration, which I like. I like a picture that pops and the Samsung provided that with still a great picture. Moive mode did seem to be the most accuret. I don't know what it is with Cnet Calibration Settings but I don't like like them. Cnet seems to be a big fan of Plasmas and dark picture.

FYI... New Firmware update V 1111

Cnet reviewed on V 1110

Either it's the placebo affect of me thinking the new update made the picture quality better or they really did fix some of the issues.
Either way I am happy smile.gif
post #367 of 881 Old 08-30-2013, 03:46 PM

Hey everybody.
After a long, long time reading, reading and more reading, and viewing and more viewing in stores, I have placed an order for the 65F6400 from Amazon, and it is due to arrive next Wednesday.

Thank you all for posting your opinions and observations.

I've read this entire thread (as well as the 7100 and 8000 threads), and I don't really see a consensus on settings. I understand the CNET settings referred to above are on the dark side, which is NOT what I want. I like accurate but with pop. My room is often somewhat bright. For example, they recommend MOVIE mode, but I found with setting up other TVs that MOVIE mode is more often than not, dark and dull.

So is there some kind of consensus on what settings to use to start with (knowing that I will tweak as time goes by)?
I am especially interested in the settings for good motion handling for sports, but without SOE.

Thanks.
post #368 of 881 Old 08-30-2013, 10:54 PM

Liked: 12
Hi
I'm looking for a new 55 inch TV to replace my aging 46 Samsung LCD. I stumbled on the F6400 which is in my price range (about $1300).
May I ask why you decided on this TV rather than the Panasonic ST60 plasma which most everyone seems to be raving about? I've never had a plasma but it seems the reviews claim that TV is simply amazing and it's about the same price as this Samsung F6400.

Thanks for your input
post #369 of 881 Old 08-31-2013, 05:24 AM
AVS Club Gold

My primary 6400 is a 75" but I also have a 50" in another location. The ST produces deep blacks and a very very nice picture. Bottom line for me though is that plasma just doesn't work. My kids game, and also have a habit of leaving static graphics intensive screens on for hours on end. Image retention and burn in are still issues even with today's best plasmas. If you don't believe it's true then look in the image retention and burn in threads in the plasma forums. Some will say it's panel or settings dependent, and that may be true. But it's not a chance I was willing to take. (I also wanted a 75" set which also ruled out plasma).

Edit - Frank: I use movie mode and find it has plenty of pop but also surprisingly good blacks. Great combo IMO. I use Buzz's settings found in the F8000 thread. I've posted them here in this thread along the way. Try them for starters. You can always go to Standard or whatever if you desire more pop. Welcome to the 6400 family.

Double True!
post #370 of 881 Old 08-31-2013, 09:12 AM

Anthony,

Isn't it true that Movie mode cancels out micro-dimming? Micro dimming was one of the primary reasons I decided on the 6400 rather than the 6300.
post #371 of 881 Old 08-31-2013, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank_K View Post

Anthony,

Isn't it true that Movie mode cancels out micro-dimming? Micro dimming was one of the primary reasons I decided on the 6400 rather than the 6300.

I recall reading this in the f7100 thread. That's why when i had the 7100, I kept my tv in standard mode.
post #372 of 881 Old 08-31-2013, 05:35 PM

Hey all.. picked up my 75f6400 this week... turned it on and set it up and absolutely loved it and gave it the batman test to see some (what I think) brutal clouding.

This is on backlight 8 with brightness 45 contrast 80 I believe. I tried moving all values up and down and it got barely any better. Thinking I should take it back in... during scenes with joker alone on camera in the dark it is like someone is beaming spotlights through the walls behind him.

I tried the rub out method and it barely seemed like it was doing anything. Almost seemed to move the clouding around somehow. I need to get a new TV at the futureshop warehouse which is only open monday to friday so hopefully next week I can get it. My panel was the TH01 which is a samsung panel so I expected better of this. Does anyone know if there is a panel lottery with the 75" screens? I Also bought a 50f6800 with a panel NH02 (Chi mei electronics s-vga made panel) and it actually performs very well. No clouding that I could notice, no banding, no flashlighting, and good viewing angles up to about 60 degrees off center! I was blown away actually. I expected the reverse scenario. Not too impressed with the viewing angles on the 75 incher... seems the vertical viewing is very unforgiving, sitting on my couch if I lay down on it the contrast starts to shift and that is with the TV on a stand roughly 20-24" high (not too sure right now).

Pre rubbing

Post rubbing

It's all over the place. I noticed while I was rubbing in some areas where the cloudiness was in the middle while the pixels were warping colors it looked like circular outline about half the diameter of a penny of like the head of a screw. I wonder if that's some component or connection/snap/something in the back pressing on it giving it some of the cloudiness...

ANyways, I'll probably take it back and try for another. THat seems pretty bad to me
post #373 of 881 Old 08-31-2013, 06:16 PM

Had my 65" for 3 days, and when watching football today a vertical line appeared about 2 inches in on the left. Bright blue pixels the full height of the glass. Tried everything to fix it, but ended up exchanging at store and waiting right now for software to update on new TV. I really like this set and hope I don't have anymore issues. Anyway, have others had this problem and if known what was the cause?
post #374 of 881 Old 08-31-2013, 06:22 PM

Well crap. Just got to main screen and this set has a blue line on the right side - don't know what to do.
post #375 of 881 Old 08-31-2013, 06:59 PM

Liked: 12
Great I was just thinking of buying this tv and now I read all these problems!
post #376 of 881 Old 08-31-2013, 07:35 PM

Chatted with Samsung and they concluded it is a hardware issue - duh! Anyway, store where I purchased is out of them so going to trade it in at different location. Hopefully will have better luck, but going to make them unbox and plug it in at the store before I leave.
post #377 of 881 Old 09-01-2013, 08:44 AM
AVS Club Gold

Frank - yes Movie disables it apparently. People were having issues with wonky performance in certain low light scenes iirc in the 7100 thread...the on screen brightness (or, dimness) would fluctuate mid scene, even if what was on screen didn't really change. When I got my set I immediately entered Buzz' settings as a starting point and was very happy with the results so left them as is, in Movie. Between that and what I'd read about the inconsistent performance of the micro dimming I never tried to dial Standard in. Switching to Standard doesn't look so hot to me (obviously I'd have to change other settings) but maybe I'll give it a try.

Strikingmoose - WOW that clouding is horrible, especially in the first pic. The rub out seemed to help quite a bit though even that second pic is a fair bit worse than anything I see on mine. As for screws, etc. yes - some have speculated that it's a physical pressure point causing this kind of thing. Some, myself included, have resorted to loosening certain screws on the back of the set. I loosened my lower left corner screw as that's where I had the worst clouding as well as corner flashlighting. Seemed like it helped, though it wasn't that bad to begin with, and it may be placebo effect smile.gif

As for panel lottery I think there is an aspect of this for every set at every size, even if all the panels for a given size set come off the same exact line. I bet even two sequentially produced panels could look quite different. The tolerances nowadays are so exacting in these thin sets that what are likely extremely small differences in fit and finish seem to produce quite a it of variability from set to set. Though I purchased at Amazon, some retailers like Robert Zohn at Value Electronics will actually pre-vet a set for you to make sure you get a good one if you opt for calibration services. This costs extra obviously smile.gif

All that said the relatively minor clouding I had seems to have improved over time, almost as if the set loosens up over time. Again though, hard to say if that's just me getting used to it or of it really has improved. I'm very happy with the set overall.

Double True!
post #378 of 881 Old 09-01-2013, 12:41 PM

Just returned home with my 3rd unit and so far no blue line this time. I really like this TV and not sure what I will do if this one doesn't work out.
post #379 of 881 Old 09-01-2013, 03:50 PM
AVS Club Gold

Hopefully third time's the charm Tantrum!

Btw I spent some time this afternoon trying to dial in settings with Standard. Tbh I couldn't find a combination of settings I was happy with. Also, noticed some strange behavior in the Sharpness setting while in Standard. In Movie, it is exactly what it sounds like - it makes the picture sharper (but in a sort of digitally enhanced way; I hate it so set it to zero). In Standard however, it seems to be some kind of brightness control. Anything lower than around the mid 40s was way too dim to watch, and zero was almost a black screen. Weird.

For you Standard watchers, where is you Sharpness set, and does it dim the picture?

Double True!
post #380 of 881 Old 09-03-2013, 04:23 AM

I normally use standard mode on my other Samsungs, but with this one I had issues where the screen would go dim during varios scemes and never seem return to normal. So, I tried the Movie mode calibration in post #299 with a few minor changes and really like it (I used Warm1, left AMP on, and adjusted the brightness to my room). Anyway, at first I missed that "pop" of color, but after watching for a day with various content (news, sports, movies, nature, science, etc.) I actually prefer the new settings as the colors and skin tones seem more realistic. I would still like to have a good Standard calibration for those times when I do want brighter colors, but the screen dimming is a big pain to me and hard to explain to my family that the TV is not broken and what to do about it when I'm not around.
post #381 of 881 Old 09-03-2013, 08:09 AM
AVS Club Gold

Not sure if the dimming you are describing is the same issue that people reported in the 7100 and 8000 threads but could be. Mostly they say that it dims mid scene when nothing in screen changed. I assumed it would come back up when the shot changed.

Not surprised that you've come to like Movie. It's far more natural and realistic IMO. Yes, when you switch back and forth Standard (and all the others) have more pop and at a glance may seem "better" but this is basically the showroom effect and why sets come ootb in torch mode. Our eyes are drawn to brighter, garish images. But for extended, real world viewing, nothing beats the feeling of ahhhhhhh of a nicely dialed in set.

Fwiw I tried again to get Standard to look good and couldn't. Issues with Sharpness setting are still there as described above, but even with it set to allow the picture to be bright enough, I just couldn't get a natural, realistic looking image.

Double True!
post #382 of 881 Old 09-03-2013, 08:29 AM

I have tried to compare the different screens of the 6,7and 8 series regarding reflections. It seemed to me that the 6400 had a less reflective screen than the other Samsung models but it is diffucult to make a good estimation in a store where they are spread out and the lighting conditions differ,

Unfortunately I have windows behind the viewer position and a bright room which may bring out a lot of reflections on a glossy screen.

How does the screen handle reflections? And how does it stand in that regard compared to the other Samsung models?
post #383 of 881 Old 09-03-2013, 09:21 AM

Anthonymoody-
I just signed on, first time ever AVS. I have been tracking all your well written posts...you know more than I will probably ever learn...impressive. I just bought the 756400 yesterday, really excited and nervous because I feel like there are so many variables that an ignorant person like myself doesn't understand. My question is: from a guy who's NEVER done anything other than 'buy and watch', do I just need to look at your post from F8000/buzzard collation and do that? I watch sports 70% of the time, regular tv 20%, and movies 10%...obviously this is an investment to watch more movies, but I would REALLY APPRECIATE all instruction you can provide to someone who is very ignorant to all the information, right and wrong, out there.

Greatly appreciated!
post #384 of 881 Old 09-03-2013, 11:33 AM
AVS Club Gold

@Stormsoldat - unfortunately I've only ever had the 6400 in my home. I agree that stores are tough places to gauge reflections as their lighting is usual awful. I have windows behind my primary seating and during the day I can definitely see the reflections of the windows in the screen. It's not horrible and as long as I don't focus on it my mind tends to "lose" them and I become pretty engrossed in the picture. That said, if I were into critical daytime viewing, I'd get drapes for said windows smile.gif

@jpavlik - welcome and congrats! Sent you a PM as well, but yes I would definitely start with those settings I adapted from Buzz. Also, it's probably worth putting up some solid screens in a relatively low light room to see how much/bad clouding you have. If it's really bad using Buzz' settings, I would recommend the rub out method (which we can talk about...) There is another thread about the 75F6300 where the owner posted screen shots of bad clouding. If yours looks like that let's talk...

EDIT: here is that other thread.
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1488914/samsung-un75f6300-clouding

Double True!
post #385 of 881 Old 09-03-2013, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anthonymoody View Post

@Stormsoldat - unfortunately I've only ever had the 6400 in my home. I agree that stores are tough places to gauge reflections as their lighting is usual awful. I have windows behind my primary seating and during the day I can definitely see the reflections of the windows in the screen. It's not horrible and as long as I don't focus on it my mind tends to "lose" them and I become pretty engrossed in the picture. That said, if I were into critical daytime viewing, I'd get drapes for said windows

Thank you for the response!

When you say that you see reflections from the windows, is it with the blinds shut?

I think reflections in a screen can be very disturbing in dark scenes in movies or gaming since they often make details in those areas unseeable. I therefore consider it a lot worse than clouding or a dead pixel and that was the reason for which I chose a matte screen when I purchased my current tv. But it seems as if the glossy screens have improved somewhat in that aspect the last couple of years. My hope is that they have since I would really like to enjoy a large 6400 in my living room. smile.gif

Does anyone else have any experiences or thoughts about screen reflections on the 6400 and the other Samsung screens?
post #386 of 881 Old 09-03-2013, 05:08 PM

Storm, this is actually my 5th model Samsung LCD panel in my living area (don't ask) and they were all quite similar. I have two windows facing south directly behind my viewing area. During the day I must close the 1" wooden blinds or the reflection is unbearable (all I see in the TV is outside). However, with the blinds closed I have to intentionally try to see them in the reflection and 99.9% of the time I do not notice at all unless a really dark/black image is on the screen. Given my config, I see this being an issue with just about any set on the market. If you have blinds you can close or dark window treatments you will be just fine, otherwise you will be too annoyed to ever watch TV.
post #387 of 881 Old 09-03-2013, 05:13 PM

I'm having an issue with streaming media from my NAS (mp4 files) and was wondering if others can confirm and/or resolve. For whatever reason, when streaming directly to the TV the play and pause functions work, but forward and reverse do not (some error like 'function not supported' appears). These same files stream just fine to my PS3 with full functionality so I don't believe it is a file issue. FYI, using most recent firmware as updated when I setup the TV 2 days ago.
post #388 of 881 Old 09-03-2013, 05:20 PM

Anthony, yes it dims mid scene, but often it never undims (my word) when the scene changes. I can wait a couple of mins, change channels, go to apps, etc. but no change. The only resolution is to power cycle the TV.
post #389 of 881 Old 09-04-2013, 12:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Tantrum View Post

Storm, this is actually my 5th model Samsung LCD panel in my living area (don't ask) and they were all quite similar. I have two windows facing south directly behind my viewing area. During the day I must close the 1" wooden blinds or the reflection is unbearable (all I see in the TV is outside). However, with the blinds closed I have to intentionally try to see them in the reflection and 99.9% of the time I do not notice at all unless a really dark/black image is on the screen. Given my config, I see this being an issue with just about any set on the market. If you have blinds you can close or dark window treatments you will be just fine, otherwise you will be too annoyed to ever watch TV.

Thank you for sharing your thoughts!

I will definitely need to shut the blinds and hopefully that will be sufficient.

It seems that some brands have made some anti reflective innovations such as Sharp and Phillips moth eye screens but I have never seen them live. That's why I was thinking that perhaps Samsung also could be using some similar anti reflective screen properties on some of their models.

Skickat från min GT-I9300 med Tapatalk 4
post #390 of 881 Old 09-04-2013, 07:28 AM
AVS Club Gold

Reflections - the windows behind my seat don't have drapes or blinds (!) I need to remedy this but oddly it's not that annoying once I'm focused on the on screen image.

Dimming - switch to Movie to see if it still happens...

Double True!
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Samsung Un46f6400 46 Inch 3d Slim Smart Led Hdtv , Sony Bravia Kdl32bx320 32 Inch 720p Lcd Hdtv Black , Samsung Un46f6300 46 Inch Slim Smart Led Hdtv , Samsung 50 Inch Led Hdtv Un50eh6000
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page