Forum Jump: 

post #721 of 917 Old 02-20-2014, 08:28 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by heresnowhy View Post

I've no idea what this update "fixed." I haven't noticed a single thing change, aside from having to login to all of my apps again.

I honestly don't know what version I was running prior (I hadn't updated in a while) but since I updated to 1121, I've noticed massive drop-outs in audio-levels in the speakers. If I go into the sound settings and change the audio settings, from say "Movie" to "Clear Voice", and then back again -- boom -- the audio levels return, so it's something in that subsystem that is going wonky and changing it causes it to reset its levels.

Wish I knew how to fix THAT. Anyone else seen this particular problem, and have any suggestions?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #722 of 917 Old 02-23-2014, 08:22 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I received the UN50F6400 the other day and so far I'm not that impressed. My old Panasonic still looks better to my eye. The viewing angle is atrocious; even sitting dead in the middle I can see it washing out toward the edges, and if I move up or down the blacks turn purple. I haven't looked in the SM but I'm certain I got the awful MVA panel (code: AD03). I'm still trying to decide whether it's worth returning to Amazon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dredd View Post

I honestly don't know what version I was running prior (I hadn't updated in a while) but since I updated to 1121, I've noticed massive drop-outs in audio-levels in the speakers. If I go into the sound settings and change the audio settings, from say "Movie" to "Clear Voice", and then back again -- boom -- the audio levels return, so it's something in that subsystem that is going wonky and changing it causes it to reset its levels.

Wish I knew how to fix THAT. Anyone else seen this particular problem, and have any suggestions?

I had that problem while briefly using the TV speakers. I thought it was the video I was watching.
post #723 of 917 Old 02-23-2014, 09:20 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11

Well it's been a few weeks now with my UN55F6400 and I have to say I'm quite happy with it. I see a lot of people reporting stuff like horrible side view and what not. Really, who watches TV from the sides? If you are that picky, go and find an old CRT and be done with it. :) (Relax people, I'm joking... Sort of)

So here's my review thus far. Details as follows. 

Samsung UN55F6400 (Not sure what panel I have as I haven't researched to find out, I know it's a Samsung panel though at least)

Mounted on a Z-Line Z-Line Aviton ZL517-44MixU http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=4903803&CatId=5511 $99 on sale with coupon, hurry!

Connected to Yamaha RX-V475 via HDMI (HDMI2 - ARC)

Samsung BD-F5900 (3D Wifi)

HTPC (custom built HP, soon to be upgraded before it dies)

I watch OTA TV mostly, using my HTPC as my DVR so that source as a benchmark isn't really fair since the video is 1080i and all.

Everything runs through the AVR, just so we're clear as to why I don't report any of the sound issues some of you seem to have. Who uses the TV speakers anymore? Unless you're in a bedroom maybe. 

IMAGE QUALITY: 

The TV is fantastic. I've been messing with calibration settings and what not and I know I still have to find my personal sweet spot, but overall I'm happy with the picture quality. Having come from an LG 42LD450 this was a MAJOR improvement overall. Not just in picture quality but also in features. The TV has a great picture, despite the normal LED/LCD issues people rip on. 

Yes, I have that annoying "ghost" image coming from all four corners of the screen when viewing really dark images, but it seems to fade away depending on content/source? Sometimes I notice it, sometimes I don't. Keep in mind, I only really notice it when the room is pitch black. With any lights on, I hardly can see it at all. I can't afford to spend another $1,000 to upgrade to a back lit panel so I'll "suffer" with it for now. I'm not really suffering, it's not that big of an issue really. 

I've had to get used to the whole motion control thing. Using the preset modes can be tricky, that depends on the content really. But the custom setting has been good all around. Not too cartoon/soap opera like yet it clears up the motion quite nicely. I suggest the custom setting for this. 

FEATURES: 

The Smart Hub is nice, not too slow and not too quirky. I'm used to the Samsung smart hub since I have their Blu Ray player and I had a Samsung Galaxy Tab so I'm familiar with their interfaces and what not. It's nice to have. I can't say much about streaming content because I don't use Netflix or Hulu, but viewing YouTube on it works pretty damn well. I've tried to cast things to it but had issues before. With the new software update, I'll give it another shot from my Nexus 7. 

Networking features are pretty nice. I've got a lot of movies on my HTPC (MKV and other formats) and so far it's played them all quite nicely. I almost don't even use the HTPC for that anymore? I installed Plex to the TV and run the server from the HTPC, but honestly with DLNA and all I find that I can just use the TV's native software for that. It sends the audio nicely to the AVR, less switching for me. 

3D: 

I can't comment on 3D because I have yet to really get it to work. I don't know, maybe my eyes just can't view it. I have issues with one eye that screws with my depth perception so I think that's why. I've set up the glasses, pressed the power button a ton of times and noticed no change. I was using their 3D app to view sample videos and couldn't get anything, but that's no big loss since the few times I've seen 3D in the theaters, I was never really blown away by it. Maybe I'm doing it wrong or I should custom set up my 3D? 

AUDIO: 

Again, I can't give a fair judgement on this because I never use the internal speakers. When I first set it up I heard them briefly and they sounded like TV speakers, I'm never impressed by them. The only time I'd ever use them is, well never? I can say if you're using ARC, be careful. Sometimes you have to switch your output format when you're using a new source/app. So just keep an eye out for that. Otherwise, once you get used to that then you'll be alright if you're hooked into an AVR/Sound system. 

OVERALL: 

Like I said, major improvement over the old LCD I had. I originally was shopping for a Plasma, looking at a Samsung vs Panasonic ST60. I couldn't find the Panasonic ANYWHERE and when I went to the store, I wasn't as impressed with the Plasma as I thought I'd be. I know they aren't as bright, which IS a concern for me. I'd rather have too much light to turn down than not enough to turn up. I also wasn't blown away by the motion, but then again the source wasn't the greatest there. Still, I'd rather not invest as much into old tech that's going away. So that's my fair assessment to this TV. I can't really beat it up or threaten to return it because at this price point, you're pretty much getting what you pay for. 

If anyone has any advice or input to what I've said, by all means please chime in. 

Also look for my other post in the Bic Acoustech forum for pictures coming soon. I still am fine tuning my setup and just got a new TV Stand so I haven't taken great pictures yet of the setup. 

post #724 of 917 Old 02-23-2014, 12:17 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ketnis View Post

I received the UN50F6400 the other day and so far I'm not that impressed. My old Panasonic still looks better to my eye. The viewing angle is atrocious; even sitting dead in the middle I can see it washing out toward the edges, and if I move up or down the blacks turn purple. I haven't looked in the SM but I'm certain I got the awful MVA panel (code: AD03). I'm still trying to decide whether it's worth returning to Amazon.

It sounds like you got a lemon, as mine is not as bad as that. I would return it and get another or something else, because mine doesn't do what you describe, and I wouldn't tolerate any TV that did.

Don't believe everything on the Interwebz! A duck's quack DOES echo!
post #725 of 917 Old 02-23-2014, 01:19 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulpa View Post

It sounds like you got a lemon, as mine is not as bad as that. I would return it and get another or something else, because mine doesn't do what you describe, and I wouldn't tolerate any TV that did.
Absolutely. What he said!
post #726 of 917 Old 02-23-2014, 01:25 PM

That's not good to hear. Has anyone returned something this size to Amazon? Would I have to pay return shipping? The outer box it came in is enormous.
post #727 of 917 Old 02-23-2014, 01:39 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 60
Amazon has a whole section dedicated to returns. It really depends on circumstances.

Alternatively, you could contact Samsung and see if they can't service it. They will come to you. If they can't fix it, it'll be replaced.

Don't believe everything on the Interwebz! A duck's quack DOES echo!
post #728 of 917 Old 02-24-2014, 03:16 PM

Purchased the Samsung UN50F6400 on Feb. 1 along with a Sony HT-CT260H sound bar. Took a bit to set it all up. I have 4 HDMI sources so that was one of the reasons I purchased the 6400. I have the sound bar set up to power on and off with the TV remote but once on I have to turn the sound bar off and back on to control the volume with the TV remote. I purchased a One For All universal remote that works pretty good controlling all my devices.
I think the TV is great. I turned off the motion stuff and noise reduction stuff. Don't like the look. I tried other sound bars including Samsung's around the same price point but like the sound of the Sony the best. No other problems with the TV or sound bar except my cat likes to lick the sound bar. I have to cover it when I'm not watching TV. I guess he likes it too.
post #729 of 917 Old 02-24-2014, 11:10 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
hi all i bought this tv yesterday .. i got the 46 f6400 and it is made in egypt

i always sought different websites and forums for tv calibration settings since like 6 years .. tv calibrations
with only hand and eye came my hobby .. but i always don't like the calibrations done on cnet and etc.
i don't like the result at all and i always tuned my settings from samsung default picture profiles

so i would like to share my settings with you and i am sure that you will find it the best one so far for watching movies
at dim and low light condition

of course you can tailor color and brightness and sharpness to your likeness as i am concerned more by blackness
and natural color looking with an extra punch of contrast and colors

i am on firmware 1116

i owned a samsung series 6 b6000 before and i always used movie mode for settings but this time i will use standard mode
because i think it is the best mode in which micro dimming works also we need "motion lightning " option under " advanced settings "
side note : only thing i hate about the f6400 the matt screen as the old b6000 used to have that glossy clear glass that resulted in much
better picture .. samsung this time limited this glossy screen to series 7 screens and above .. too lame sammy

i repeat this is not about colors or sharpness it is about blackness and naturalness and i will tick important options with ( imp )
so these ticked by ( imp ) you cannot fiddle with but others you can change for your likeness

picture mode : standard ( imp ) you must choose standard but you can change any options under it to your likeness
such as color , backlight , sharpness etc....

backlight : 16
contrast : 100 ( well apparently contrast over 95 tends to have pinkish greys )
brightness : 45
sharpness : 25
color : 50
tint : 50\50

picture size : screen fit

advanced settings :

dynamic contrast : medium ( imp )
black tone : off
flesh tone :0
rgb : off
color space : auto ( imp )
white balance
10p white balance off
gamma 0 ( imp )
expect pattern off
motion lighting on ( imp )

picture options :

color tone : standard
digital clean view : off ( imp )
mpeg noise filter : off ( imp )
hdmi black level greyed yuv instead of rgb ( imp )
film mode greyed
motion plus : custom 10 10
led clear motion on ( imp )

please tell me your opinion .. as i think you will like the level of black and natural colors and details also contrast
these settings only tried on pc via hdmi to watch blu ray movies YUV
post #730 of 917 Old 02-24-2014, 11:22 PM

also there is something weird about motion plus option ?!!!!!

i use pc on 1080p 60 hz on hdmi 2 .. when motion plus set to custom 10 10 and led option on
it works and give soap opera like effect but after opening multiple movies on pc and minimizing
and changing windows sizes the motion plus option seems to suddenly stop working and soap opera effect lost ?!!!!!

anyone here knows why ?? .. in the past i used to to use motion plus but only on 24 hz as 60 hz on old samsung sets
used to stutter every couple of seconds or even dos not work but this set surprised me with smooth motion plus on 60 hz .. only drawback
that i don't know why it stops working all of a sudden

also motion lightning defaults to OFF every time i change input ?!!!!
post #731 of 917 Old 02-27-2014, 09:28 AM

Just got the 50F6400 TV and playing around with the settings.
On two of the Picture options, Dynamic and Normal, the ADVANCED SETTINGS option is grayed out. ANyone know why?
post #732 of 917 Old 02-27-2014, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hybucket View Post

Just got the 50F6400 TV and playing around with the settings.
On two of the Picture options, Dynamic and Normal, the ADVANCED SETTINGS option is grayed out. ANyone know why?

because they are set by samsung in these modes .. it is normal
post #733 of 917 Old 02-27-2014, 09:12 PM

anyone here knows how to turn screen from matte to glossy biggrin.gif .. when i use the 3d glasses the view becomes like glossy so anyone thought of this before
post #734 of 917 Old 02-28-2014, 09:45 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by mustafa811 View Post

anyone here knows how to turn screen from matte to glossy biggrin.gif .. when i use the 3d glasses the view becomes like glossy so anyone thought of this before

Yup, Ebay, then buy a 7 series : )
post #735 of 917 Old 02-28-2014, 12:52 PM

Just picked up a 60UNF6400 from best buy this weekend, had it delivered Wednesday and wanted to give you guys here a great shout out for making the buying process go so much smoother because of all the knowledge you armed me with.

Process-wise, I walked into the store looking to buy the 55UN6300, but after looking at the differences and having a wonderful wife who talked me into the larger size, we walked out with the bigger, higher end model.

We stepped up from a Philips 42" plasma, and I was a little leery of the LCD, but the way the picture popped out at us, we decided that the brightness was worth the loss of the black quality.

I was also a little leery of the clouding, flashlighting, etc., but figured I was not that discsiminating in my TV viewing, and I was happy to see that I was right. On the black transitions between Apps and at startup, I can see that we have moderate clouding, but it is completely invisible to me for practical watching. I am happy to be a less sensitive customer in this regard.

We have the TV hooked up to a Sony STR-DN1000 receiver, which is old enough that I do not have ARC, so Power, HDMI and Optical Audio are the only connections we are using, we have an Apple TV hooked up, and will see if the new TV's Smarts will allow us to redeploy the Apple TV elsewhere. So far, so good. No wireless issues and my wife has been happily watching Netflix through the TV.

It is currently sitting on the same stand where the old TV sat, but our goal is to mount it on the wall above a fireplace. I am looking at the MonoPrice 8587:

http://www.monoprice.com/Product?c_id=108&cp_id=10828&cs_id=1082806&p_id=8587&seq=1&format=2&utm_expid=58369800-11.R-enhtUGRrSdHz5vzpVS2g.0&utm_referrer=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.monoprice.com%2FCategory%3Fc_id%3D108%26cp_id%3D10828%26cs_id%3D1082806

Any comments on this mount? I am gearing up the courage to mount it myself, but would appreciate any tips. The bottom of the TV would be about 6 feet up and we are trying to figure out if looking up at a TV becomes second nature, because right now it seems as if it will be strange. I have read about the mounts which drop down in front of a fireplace and the like, but don't think that we will be going to something that massive and expensive.

My final comment is about the 3D. I had no interest in getting a 3D TV, but have been very impressed with the 2D->3D conversion. Haven't logged a ton of hours, and don't intend to watch everything in 3D, but I can see the attractiveness and am glad my wife talked me into getting it. So for all of you who think that 3D is just a gimmick, spend some time looking at it before you write it off completely. It was a peasant surprise to me.

Thanks again for all of the knowledge and passion that you guys display for the average guy. Being able to tap into your area of expertise is a real treat!

Rob
post #736 of 917 Old 03-01-2014, 11:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rpyle1 View Post

Just picked up a 60UNF6400 from best buy this weekend, had it delivered Wednesday and wanted to give you guys here a great shout out for making the buying process go so much smoother because of all the knowledge you armed me with.

Process-wise, I walked into the store looking to buy the 55UN6300, but after looking at the differences and having a wonderful wife who talked me into the larger size, we walked out with the bigger, higher end model.

We stepped up from a Philips 42" plasma, and I was a little leery of the LCD, but the way the picture popped out at us, we decided that the brightness was worth the loss of the black quality.

I was also a little leery of the clouding, flashlighting, etc., but figured I was not that discsiminating in my TV viewing, and I was happy to see that I was right. On the black transitions between Apps and at startup, I can see that we have moderate clouding, but it is completely invisible to me for practical watching. I am happy to be a less sensitive customer in this regard.

We have the TV hooked up to a Sony STR-DN1000 receiver, which is old enough that I do not have ARC, so Power, HDMI and Optical Audio are the only connections we are using, we have an Apple TV hooked up, and will see if the new TV's Smarts will allow us to redeploy the Apple TV elsewhere. So far, so good. No wireless issues and my wife has been happily watching Netflix through the TV.

It is currently sitting on the same stand where the old TV sat, but our goal is to mount it on the wall above a fireplace. I am looking at the MonoPrice 8587:

http://www.monoprice.com/Product?c_id=108&cp_id=10828&cs_id=1082806&p_id=8587&seq=1&format=2&utm_expid=58369800-11.R-enhtUGRrSdHz5vzpVS2g.0&utm_referrer=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.monoprice.com%2FCategory%3Fc_id%3D108%26cp_id%3D10828%26cs_id%3D1082806

Any comments on this mount? I am gearing up the courage to mount it myself, but would appreciate any tips. The bottom of the TV would be about 6 feet up and we are trying to figure out if looking up at a TV becomes second nature, because right now it seems as if it will be strange. I have read about the mounts which drop down in front of a fireplace and the like, but don't think that we will be going to something that massive and expensive.

My final comment is about the 3D. I had no interest in getting a 3D TV, but have been very impressed with the 2D->3D conversion. Haven't logged a ton of hours, and don't intend to watch everything in 3D, but I can see the attractiveness and am glad my wife talked me into getting it. So for all of you who think that 3D is just a gimmick, spend some time looking at it before you write it off completely. It was a peasant surprise to me.

Thanks again for all of the knowledge and passion that you guys display for the average guy. Being able to tap into your area of expertise is a real treat!

Rob

3d on that screen is very good indeed except for the crosstalk .. i tested mine at store for apparent clouding or dead pixels and found severe clouding and stains in 1st panel .. tried another one and it seemed perfect .. after arriving at home i started to notice empty rectangle uneven lightning all over screen edges and most annoying on right side .. it seems related to led arrangement system
post #737 of 917 Old 03-02-2014, 07:13 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
I'm amazed with this technology having been around for a while now that issues like clouding and flashlighting are still as much of an issue as they are. I guess I don't know a "lot" about the technical issues and manufacturing processes and whatnot that are involved in producing these sets but it just seems odd to me that these issues are still as much of a problem as they are. I find it hard to believe that they haven't perfected something like the ability to evenly light something like a LCD panel, even a large one, and still maintain the thin profile, etc. I realize that TV technology remained unchanged for so many years and that these types of sets are relatively new in the grand scheme of things. It's just that so many amazing things can be done on such a small scale now days that it just seems (to me anyway) like some of these things issues should have been figured out by now.
post #738 of 917 Old 03-02-2014, 08:21 AM

I'm looking to buy a better pair of 3D glasses from amazon. I use prescription glasses and the 3D glasses that came with the TV are "crap". There are so many on amazon I'm not sure which ones to get that will work with this TV. I'm looking at the Xpand 3D Multibrand IR 3d Glasses. They seem to be reasonably priced but not sure if, or how well they will work. Any suggestions?

post #739 of 917 Old 03-02-2014, 08:22 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by soulrider View Post

I'm amazed with this technology having been around for a while now that issues like clouding and flashlighting are still as much of an issue as they are. I guess I don't know a "lot" about the technical issues and manufacturing processes and whatnot that are involved in producing these sets but it just seems odd to me that these issues are still as much of a problem as they are. I find it hard to believe that they haven't perfected something like the ability to evenly light something like a LCD panel, even a large one, and still maintain the thin profile, etc. I realize that TV technology remained unchanged for so many years and that these types of sets are relatively new in the grand scheme of things. It's just that so many amazing things can be done on such a small scale now days that it just seems (to me anyway) like some of these things issues should have been figured out by now.

I think they could have eliminated it all together, but the general population doesn't notice nor care about it, and they demand the lower price point vs a superior product. Just my 2 cents.
post #740 of 917 Old 03-02-2014, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by soulrider View Post

You think that's bad, try buying a camera lens. You can spend $150 or $2500 on a lens and still get a bad copy of the lens. I've been lucky with most of mine, but I've had one or two over the years that I've had to swap for another copy because it was that bad. 

When it comes to the eyes, they are the hardest judge of character. 

post #741 of 917 Old 03-10-2014, 04:12 AM

I have f6400 (1118) and S4 active mobilephone. Smart view is not connecting via wlan. Do i need to change something in tv settings or what?.It would be cool to see tv on my S4.

And Screen mirroring is working fine and laggy from phone to tv.

post #742 of 917 Old 03-13-2014, 06:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rblancrt View Post

Thanks everyone for being  so helpful.  Already tried factory reset also.

Samsung support was not help, but I spoke with Netflix support and here is some info from that chat:

And I do have some news for you here.
11 minutes ago Netflix Daniel
So it does seem, that Samsung was not in Par with Netflix when these updates happened. We actually have a ticket for this issue, and are working with Samsung to fix this issue at hand.
9 minutes ago Netflix Daniel
Samsung should have been aware of this and should have advised but you but I am glad you contacted us so we could be the ones to let you know of what is going on. This is something that our team and the Samsung team is working on so we can get you a fix as soon as possible.

So, even though Samsung does not admit it to their customers they are aware of it.  Hopefully there will be a fix from Samsung, Netflix, or both eventually.

Finally gave in and called Samsung.  Stayed on the phone, got transferred around, and gave them remote access.  After they reset the Smart Hub through some service menu Netflix started working again. 

post #743 of 917 Old 03-14-2014, 04:16 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Just picked up the 55 inch model for $800 off, so i could not pass it up.
post #744 of 917 Old 03-16-2014, 09:24 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 17
I've had my 65" f6400 since Nov and must say it's my favourite tv to date.
Normally I upgrade my tv every year around Oct/Nov but I'm going to hang onto this one until 4k come into reasonable prices.

I'm currently using Buzz's f8000 settings which look decent, but I'm excited I have Michael Chen coming to calibrate it next weekend
post #745 of 917 Old 03-17-2014, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MagicMan3 View Post

Normally I upgrade my tv every year around Oct/Nov but I'm going to hang onto this one until 4k come into reasonable prices.

I'm currently using Buzz's f8000 settings which look decent, but I'm excited I have Michael Chen coming to calibrate it next weekend

Who is Michael Chen???
post #746 of 917 Old 03-17-2014, 10:49 AM

Well, my 75F6400 is having the infamous power cycling problem!. Called Samsung Tech, and will be covered under warranty but this is annoying!
Will update when fixed.
post #747 of 917 Old 03-17-2014, 12:14 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bypass911 View Post

Well, my 75F6400 is having the infamous power cycling problem!. Called Samsung Tech, and will be covered under warranty but this is annoying!
Will update when fixed.

I haven't really followed it to closely but I thought this power cycling issue was due to a bunch of bad capacitors on one of the boards and assumed Samsung had fixed this issue for current models. This has been going on with Samsung TVs for years and I thought it was a resolved issue.
post #748 of 917 Old 03-20-2014, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MagicMan3 View Post

I hope you will share calibration settings on this forum?

Sent from my HTC One S using Tapatalk
post #749 of 917 Old 03-20-2014, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonic debauchery View Post

Who is Michael Chen???

Apparently he is the creator of the THX Video Systems Calibration program.
post #750 of 917 Old 03-21-2014, 04:44 PM

New upstairs toy has arrived smile.gifbiggrin.gif
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Samsung Un46f6400 46 Inch 3d Slim Smart Led Hdtv , Sony Bravia Kdl32bx320 32 Inch 720p Lcd Hdtv Black , Samsung Un46f6300 46 Inch Slim Smart Led Hdtv , Samsung 50 Inch Led Hdtv Un50eh6000
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page