Samsung UNXXF6400 Thread - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 868 Old 04-09-2013, 06:25 AM - Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
avdoc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 1999
Location: Nashville, TN, USA
Posts: 352
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I have searched but haven't been able to find a thread on this TV. Since it will share microdimming with the 8000 series, I think this TV may be the best value in the 2013 Samsung lineup. I have seen the 60" on display at BB but haven't seen the 65" yet. Would welcome anyone's thoughts on this set as I will be upgrading from my Samsung 67" DLP soon.
avdoc is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 868 Old 04-10-2013, 07:57 PM - Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
avdoc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 1999
Location: Nashville, TN, USA
Posts: 352
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
bump
avdoc is offline  
post #3 of 868 Old 04-13-2013, 07:37 PM - Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
avdoc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 1999
Location: Nashville, TN, USA
Posts: 352
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Went by Electronics Express today and they had a 55 inch on display. Was VERY impressed with the picture even though it was up on a shelf with multiple other models under very poor conditions. Excellent black levels and shadow detail looked very good. There was no remote, so I couldn't change settings. BB has 65 inch on website as coming soon. The EE said they had 65 inch in stock, but rather buy from BB.
avdoc is offline  
post #4 of 868 Old 04-13-2013, 07:59 PM
Newbie
 
knight7b's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 7
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Were you able to check how the viewing angles were? I am interested in the F6400 as well, and will be upgrading from an old rear projection.
knight7b is offline  
post #5 of 868 Old 04-14-2013, 08:22 AM - Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
avdoc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 1999
Location: Nashville, TN, USA
Posts: 352
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Since it was on a shelf, it wasn't very easy but the viewing angles seemed to be fairly good. I have a Sony Bravia 720 from 3 years ago and it was much better than it off-axis as far as maintaining brightness.
avdoc is offline  
post #6 of 868 Old 04-14-2013, 10:17 AM
AVS Club Gold
 
anthonymoody's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: ny, ny usa
Posts: 5,639
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Am interested to see how the 75" version of this compares to the 7100 model.

Stuck up, half witted, scruffy looking, nerf herder.
Double True!
anthonymoody is offline  
post #7 of 868 Old 04-14-2013, 05:03 PM
Member
 
jhck66's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 131
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 17
I saw this TV at my local BB today and was struck how similar it was to the F6300 that was mounted right next to it. Knowing that the F6300 is a back lit design, is the F6400 also a back lit design? I performed my quick and dirty test to determine if it was edge lit by touching the bezel and it was cool to the touch. If it was edge lit it would have felt warm along the bezel that housed the leds. Anyone can confirm? Samsung website is less than useful on this subject. On a side note; Can't stand edge lit crap.
jhck66 is offline  
post #8 of 868 Old 04-15-2013, 12:14 PM
Newbie
 
tEhHoLLoW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 1
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
all F Series Samsung TVs are edge lit
tEhHoLLoW is offline  
post #9 of 868 Old 04-15-2013, 05:19 PM
Member
 
jhck66's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 131
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by tEhHoLLoW View Post

all F Series Samsung TVs are edge lit

Including their plasmas? :biggrin.gif It was announced by Samsung that the F6300 would be back lit and not edge lit around the time of CES. However, cnet has listed the F6300 as being edge lit; as have other retail sites (Crutchfield). Unless Samsung has dramatically redesigned the F6300 since their announcement and gave no notice of said changes their original statement stands. It is also possible that the original Samsung statements were in error or misinterpreted given Samsung's enormous and ever changing nomenclature. The fact that the TV is only 2 inches thick would lead one to think it is edge lit. However, the TV displayed the telltale dimming of the corners of the screen as seen on the EH6000 and the lack of heat emanating from the bezel would indicate it is back lit. I literally touched the screens of both the F6400 and the F6300 and there were no hot spots along the edges of the screen. FYI, there is another thread that seeks to find out if indeed the F6300 is the successor to the EH6000:

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1456872/samsung-unxxeh6000-vs-unxxf6000-series-f6300
jhck66 is offline  
post #10 of 868 Old 04-18-2013, 10:24 AM
Member
 
ShockwaveTXB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 94
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I just got the UN65F6400 and I must say I'm impressed. I also have last year's UN60ES6100, which is also impressive. I got the 65 for a new bonus room while the 60 will be the family/living room TV. Was considering both the 6400 or the 6300 but went with the 6400 due to the micro dimming, higher refresh rate and the 3D features. Well worth the extra $100 or so if you ask me.

I agree with the OP, I feel this line is the best bang for the buck without sacrificing quality for value for Samsung's 2013 offerings. I did a lot of research before making a purchase and I just couldn't bring myself to consider anything else. The 7100 is great as well, but I didn't think the even high refresh rate would be that much of a difference. I also wasn't too worried about the Ultra Clear Panel coating the 7100 has to help reduce reflections since the room I'll be won't be an issue.

Right now I'm just waiting to see what everyone has their picture settings at.

I used to have a Kuro, and I had that professionally calibrated, but I wasn't going to bother with all that this time around. I loved the Kuro as everyone else has, but I just couldn't bring myself to ignore what I feel is a sharper, more intense image from today's LED TV's.

I only wish this year's new Smart Hub went right to the Apps page as I have no use for the On TV page. Also the touch pad remote takes a bit of getting used to.
ShockwaveTXB is offline  
post #11 of 868 Old 04-18-2013, 10:26 AM
Member
 
ShockwaveTXB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 94
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by anthonymoody View Post

Am interested to see how the 75" version of this compares to the 7100 model.

From what I can tell it looks like the 7100 has a higher refresh rate...the CMR 720 vs CMR 480. It also has an "Ultra Clear Panel" that basically helps reduce glare or reflections a bit more.

Beyond that I don't know that there's too much of a difference. Both have dual processors, micro dimming and 3D.
ShockwaveTXB is offline  
post #12 of 868 Old 04-18-2013, 10:40 AM
Advanced Member
 
bucknuts07's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 501
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Shockwave, I'm sure you will be able to answer this, how is the input lag on this set ? Also, this is a glossy set correct ? I have 2 sindows to the side, but always keep the blinds closed, so not sure if I need the 7100. Doesnt the ultra clear panel give you a sharper image ? Just curious, I have a Panny 50 inch gt25 that I like, but thinking of something new smile.gif

Xbox Live- bucknuts07

 

PSN-bucknuts07

bucknuts07 is offline  
post #13 of 868 Old 04-18-2013, 10:59 AM - Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
avdoc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 1999
Location: Nashville, TN, USA
Posts: 352
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Shockwave,
Any observations on viewing angle, uniformity or black levels? How far back do you sit? I tried Vizio 70 inch from 9 feet back but uniformity was terrible as were black levels. Thanks.
avdoc is offline  
post #14 of 868 Old 04-18-2013, 07:26 PM
Member
 
ShockwaveTXB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 94
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by bucknuts07 View Post

Shockwave, I'm sure you will be able to answer this, how is the input lag on this set ? Also, this is a glossy set correct ? I have 2 sindows to the side, but always keep the blinds closed, so not sure if I need the 7100. Doesnt the ultra clear panel give you a sharper image ? Just curious, I have a Panny 50 inch gt25 that I like, but thinking of something new smile.gif

Lag doesnt seem too bad, I haven't really noticed that aspect much. I don't think you'd need the 7100. I wouldn't consider this glossy at all. I had a plasma before, which was a lot more reflective and glossy.
ShockwaveTXB is offline  
post #15 of 868 Old 04-18-2013, 07:28 PM
Member
 
ShockwaveTXB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 94
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by avdoc View Post

Shockwave,
Any observations on viewing angle, uniformity or black levels? How far back do you sit? I tried Vizio 70 inch from 9 feet back but uniformity was terrible as were black levels. Thanks.

Viewing angle is good, I'm about 12-15 feet back right now, in my new house I'll be closer to 10.

Uniformity is solid, black levels are decent, not like a plasma, but I like the sharpness and vividness of the LED over plasma. Plasma, while having better darks, was softer to me.

The only thing I do notice that is a little off is the bleed from the sides being side lit or whatever. When the edges of the image are dark, you can tell. On plasma you wouldn't have that.
ShockwaveTXB is offline  
post #16 of 868 Old 04-19-2013, 07:18 AM
Advanced Member
 
bucknuts07's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 501
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShockwaveTXB View Post

Viewing angle is good, I'm about 12-15 feet back right now, in my new house I'll be closer to 10.

Uniformity is solid, black levels are decent, not like a plasma, but I like the sharpness and vividness of the LED over plasma. Plasma, while having better darks, was softer to me.

The only thing I do notice that is a little off is the bleed from the sides being side lit or whatever. When the edges of the image are dark, you can tell. On plasma you wouldn't have that.

Do you have the dimming on ? I'm really struggling with this led vs plasma thing. My Gt25 has good black levels, picture is kinda soft, so I'm kinda drawn to the sharper / clearer picture. My boys 8 and 10 years old game alot, havent had problem with ir, all though its always in back of my mind. Was really looking at the Panny St60, picture is supposed to be amazing, but high input lag is in the back of my mind. Typically, with Samsung led tvs, is the black level supposed to be better the higher you go up the series line ? For example, will the f7100 have better black levels ? Last thing, what type of panel do you have, and do you notice any blurring ?

Xbox Live- bucknuts07

 

PSN-bucknuts07

bucknuts07 is offline  
post #17 of 868 Old 04-19-2013, 07:21 AM
AVS Club Gold
 
anthonymoody's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: ny, ny usa
Posts: 5,639
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShockwaveTXB View Post

From what I can tell it looks like the 7100 has a higher refresh rate...the CMR 720 vs CMR 480. It also has an "Ultra Clear Panel" that basically helps reduce glare or reflections a bit more.

Beyond that I don't know that there's too much of a difference. Both have dual processors, micro dimming and 3D.

Thanks. The anti glare thing may be important for me based on the room. Hmm. At 75" it's a $1000 difference. I don't care about the other differences but the anti glare is an issue.

Stuck up, half witted, scruffy looking, nerf herder.
Double True!
anthonymoody is offline  
post #18 of 868 Old 04-19-2013, 10:56 AM
Newbie
 
skillzo1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 7
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Is there any calabration settings on this tv that anyone would like to share? Ive searched all over and im currently using settings from the 6000 series...its ok but feel it can use some more pop.
skillzo1 is offline  
post #19 of 868 Old 04-19-2013, 11:11 AM - Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
avdoc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 1999
Location: Nashville, TN, USA
Posts: 352
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I don't think the black levels will be any better on the F7100 than the F6400 since they use the same panel, see comparison chart at http://www.hdtv-news.com/samsung-tv-comparison-chart/
According to this chart, you would have to step up to F7500 or F8000 to possibly get better black levels.
avdoc is offline  
post #20 of 868 Old 04-19-2013, 08:44 PM
Member
 
ShockwaveTXB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 94
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by skillzo1 View Post

Is there any calabration settings on this tv that anyone would like to share? Ive searched all over and im currently using settings from the 6000 series...its ok but feel it can use some more pop.

I haven't found any either. For now I've just adjusted things based on my personal taste while eye balling things. Not sure If I'll have it calibrated or not.
ShockwaveTXB is offline  
post #21 of 868 Old 04-20-2013, 04:33 PM
Member
 
Maverickaim9's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 168
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Snoobley they have the 50' 6400 already. I just came from best Buy and they had it up.
Maverickaim9 is offline  
post #22 of 868 Old 04-20-2013, 05:53 PM
Advanced Member
 
Dr.Shankenstein's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 930
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by snoobley View Post

Yeah I just called them now and they have 3 in stock. Yay! Is it a big pain to return a tv at best buy?

If you do it let me know how the uniformity is on this set. I have always loved the image quality of Samsung, but their uniformity is sub-par. Also interested if they have been able to reduce overdrive trailing this generation. The VA panel they use offer fantastic PQ, but also have serious issues with overdrive trailing especially with the darker areas of a scene(Black).
Dr.Shankenstein is online now  
post #23 of 868 Old 04-22-2013, 11:13 AM
Newbie
 
psalata's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 3
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I am really hoping that someone can post what their settings are for the F6400. I got a 65 inch model a few days ago, i am having a tough time eyeballing everything. Also the Auto Motion Plus is really tough to figure out, i have it on Custom with Judder 10 and Blur 2 (but that might be reversed as I am not near it now, I took that setting from someone who had an older model). I really dislike the Soap Opera Effect, unless I am going to watch an action movie. This tv is replacing a Panasonic 55ST50. I loved that tv but I have too many windows in the room and the glare was too much so when I wanted to go to 65 I had to go LED.
skillzo1 likes this.
psalata is offline  
post #24 of 868 Old 04-22-2013, 12:18 PM
Member
 
markiedee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 186
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by psalata View Post

I am really hoping that someone can post what their settings are for the F6400. I got a 65 inch model a few days ago, i am having a tough time eyeballing everything. Also the Auto Motion Plus is really tough to figure out, i have it on Custom with Judder 10 and Blur 2 (but that might be reversed as I am not near it now, I took that setting from someone who had an older model). I really dislike the Soap Opera Effect, unless I am going to watch an action movie. This tv is replacing a Panasonic 55ST50. I loved that tv but I have too many windows in the room and the glare was too much so when I wanted to go to 65 I had to go LED.

Hey there i have played with the 46F6740 i know different model i'm from the UK and the motion settings i tried on it was judder 10 blur 5 and in all honesty i didn't notice any blur or judder just a smooth natural looking picture. Also for hd sources set the picture format to screen fit, and have all noise reduction settings to off.

Hope this helps.
psalata likes this.
markiedee is offline  
post #25 of 868 Old 04-22-2013, 12:39 PM
Member
 
CalebLevArn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 90
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
So I guess the F6400, F6800 and the F7100 can't dim letterbox bars?

Info below is from CNET.

''Both the F8000 and the F7500 can dim the letterbox bars, which leads to big improvements in perceived contrast for ultra-widescreen movies, but only the F8000 gets dimming across the whole screen.''

CalebLevArn is offline  
post #26 of 868 Old 04-22-2013, 02:24 PM
Advanced Member
 
Dr.Shankenstein's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 930
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by bucknuts07 View Post

Do you have the dimming on ? I'm really struggling with this led vs plasma thing. My Gt25 has good black levels, picture is kinda soft, so I'm kinda drawn to the sharper / clearer picture. My boys 8 and 10 years old game alot, havent had problem with ir, all though its always in back of my mind. Was really looking at the Panny St60, picture is supposed to be amazing, but high input lag is in the back of my mind. Typically, with Samsung led tvs, is the black level supposed to be better the higher you go up the series line ? For example, will the f7100 have better black levels ? Last thing, what type of panel do you have, and do you notice any blurring ?

Micro dimming is a non-adjustable function of the F6400. I have had the chance to check out in person at Best buy and was able to search all the menus, so unless it is hidden in a sub-menu (like game mode) it cannot be adjusted. I don't believe the ES6900/7100 were able to either. Samsung I believe stated that it is a software implemented (like a more aggressive dynamic contrast) feature not an actual faux zone dimming like LG(LED+) and Sony's (Dynamic Edge).
Dr.Shankenstein is online now  
post #27 of 868 Old 04-22-2013, 04:50 PM - Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
avdoc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 1999
Location: Nashville, TN, USA
Posts: 352
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
From what I understand this is correct. The "microdimming" is not dimming at all but a software feature to adjust contrast, apparently no dimming of LEDs. However, having said that, I was very impressed with this set on the shelf. Seemed to have excellent black levels and picture compared to others. Unfortunately until there is a review available no way to know how good it performs technically but considering the price I don't care if it looks good.

In reply to how easy BB returns are, VERY easy as long as you know the term. If you're not a silver member I think it's 15 days but check to make sure.
avdoc is offline  
post #28 of 868 Old 04-22-2013, 07:12 PM
Advanced Member
 
Dr.Shankenstein's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 930
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by avdoc View Post

From what I understand this is correct. The "microdimming" is not dimming at all but a software feature to adjust contrast, apparently no dimming of LEDs. However, having said that, I was very impressed with this set on the shelf. Seemed to have excellent black levels and picture compared to others. Unfortunately until there is a review available no way to know how good it performs technically but considering the price I don't care if it looks good.

In reply to how easy BB returns are, VERY easy as long as you know the term. If you're not a silver member I think it's 15 days but check to make sure.
15days is correct, they say it is to curve people buying digital cameras or televisions before leaving on vacation or watching sporting event(super bowl), using them and returning them for full refund. They considered a restocking fee, but felt this was a better option.
Dr.Shankenstein is online now  
post #29 of 868 Old 04-23-2013, 08:50 AM
AVS Special Member
 
PlasmaPZ80U's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 7,042
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 186
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Shankenstein View Post

Micro dimming is a non-adjustable function of the F6400. I have had the chance to check out in person at Best buy and was able to search all the menus, so unless it is hidden in a sub-menu (like game mode) it cannot be adjusted. I don't believe the ES6900/7100 were able to either. Samsung I believe stated that it is a software implemented (like a more aggressive dynamic contrast) feature not an actual faux zone dimming like LG(LED+) and Sony's (Dynamic Edge).

I think micro dimming is off in movie pic mode, at least that's what I read about the ES8000 about six months ago

it's essentially an advanced, localized form of dynamic contrast
PlasmaPZ80U is offline  
post #30 of 868 Old 04-24-2013, 05:38 PM
Newbie
 
macche's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 9
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
can you test is there is input lag?
i am planning to buy the 46 version of F6400, and I will use it mainly for gaming.
thx
macche is offline  
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Samsung Un46f6400 46 Inch 3d Slim Smart Led Hdtv , Sony Bravia Kdl32bx320 32 Inch 720p Lcd Hdtv Black , Samsung Un46f6300 46 Inch Slim Smart Led Hdtv , Samsung 50 Inch Led Hdtv Un50eh6000
Gear in this thread

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off