2013 Vizio E650i-A2 E-Series LED Smart TV - NON-Razor series - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 23 Old 04-12-2013, 01:47 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Anybody buy a Vizio E650i-A2 yet? Looks like they just started selling as of April 1, 2013. This set uses Direct LED and not Edge-lit like the E Razor series. Looking for opinions.

My current 5 year old 65" DLP has a failing DMD chip mad.gif Looking to stay in the 60"-65" range. This is in my living room with bay windows so a Plasma is out. I don't care about smart apps or 3D. I was looking at last years M650VSE which are roughly the same price.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 Old 04-12-2013, 07:09 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by caddyroyalty View Post

Anybody buy a Vizio E650i-A2 yet? Looks like they just started selling as of April 1, 2013. This set uses Direct LED and not Edge-lit like the E Razor series. Looking for opinions.

My current 5 year old 65" DLP has a failing DMD chip mad.gif Looking to stay in the 60"-65" range. This is in my living room with bay windows so a Plasma is out. I don't care about smart apps or 3D. I was looking at last years M650VSE which are roughly the same price.

If you're plasma is out because of glossy screen, then you might not want the M650. I think it has a glossy screen similar to plasmas.

Rick
post #3 of 23 Old 04-13-2013, 09:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickie View Post

If you're plasma is out because of glossy screen, then you might not want the M650. I think it has a glossy screen similar to plasmas.

Rick

No glossy screen on M650VSE.

It is all about quality...that is the picture

JVC & NEC 8" CRT with 106" wide Stewart screen. All NHT speakers driven by Pioneer Elite AVR and bluray

Custom dedicated 8 seat theater

post #4 of 23 Old 04-13-2013, 10:18 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaspianM View Post

No glossy screen on M650VSE.

My bad then. Thanks for clarifying. I had made the assumption that the 650 screen was same as the 651. Sorry for the misinformation.

Thanks
Rick
post #5 of 23 Old 04-13-2013, 01:45 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickie View Post

My bad then. Thanks for clarifying. I had made the assumption that the 650 screen was same as the 651. Sorry for the misinformation.

Thanks
Rick

I think its the 3D that makes the panel have that gloss finish, like the M3D651SV. I'm assuming the new M601d and M651d will have glossy screen as well.
post #6 of 23 Old 04-24-2013, 05:52 PM

Liked: 12
Quote:

I'm in the same boat as you, my Samsung DLP has dead pixels and bad caps. Was also looking at this Vizio.
post #7 of 23 Old 04-24-2013, 07:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I think its the 3D that makes the panel have that gloss finish, like the M3D651SV. I'm assuming the new M601d and M651d will have glossy screen as well.

Samsung es6500  is 3D and no glossy screen.

It is all about quality...that is the picture

JVC & NEC 8" CRT with 106" wide Stewart screen. All NHT speakers driven by Pioneer Elite AVR and bluray

Custom dedicated 8 seat theater

post #8 of 23 Old 04-26-2013, 07:39 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 91
No one has purchased this TV yet???

All I've seen is pointless glossy screen replies. (and by the way the M650VSE is a glossy screen guys!)

I'm not happy with my E-series 70" and not a fan of edge-lit

Saw this today at Costco for less and rear LED ... may be a winner for the price!

No one has this set yet???
post #9 of 23 Old 04-27-2013, 05:03 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 91
Nobody???

Thinking of moving from the 70" E to this one due to it not being edge-lit plus I couldn't be much worse then the 70"

Would love to hear back from some users and owners of this TV ... can't seem to find any reviews anywhere yet.
post #10 of 23 Old 04-28-2013, 11:23 PM

right,I had made the assumption that the 650 screen was same as the 651. Sorry for the misinformation.thanks
post #11 of 23 Old 04-28-2013, 11:23 PM

right,I had made the assumption that the 650 screen was same as the 651. Sorry for the misinformation.thanks 4.gif
post #12 of 23 Old 05-01-2013, 04:05 PM

Just bought one of these today as a replacement for an E601i-A3 that had the video loss problem.

First thoughts -- out of the box, this thing is THICK. Fully three times as thick as the E601i. Other than that, though, no negatives that I can see.

During daytime watching with the defaults -- first off the auto brightness is turned on by default and makes the screen looks completely washed out. Turning that off instantly brings the set into a reasonably watchable state of tune. With that, the image is much improved from the E601i. Significantly more vibrant and sharper, plus the backs seem much blacker (I noticed this seeing the side bars on an HD channel with an SD commercial).

Overall, I'm impressed so far. I'd like to hear other's opinions and/or see links to real reviews.

Side benefit -- same remote control commands as the E601i, so no reprogramming necessary.
post #13 of 23 Old 05-01-2013, 04:14 PM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by tremor13 View Post

Just bought one of these today as a replacement for an E601i-A3 that had the video loss problem.

First thoughts -- out of the box, this thing is THICK. Fully three times as thick as the E601i. Other than that, though, no negatives that I can see.

During daytime watching with the defaults -- first off the auto brightness is turned on by default and makes the screen looks completely washed out. Turning that off instantly brings the set into a reasonably watchable state of tune. With that, the image is much improved from the E601i. Significantly more vibrant and sharper, plus the backs seem much blacker (I noticed this seeing the side bars on an HD channel with an SD commercial).

Overall, I'm impressed so far. I'd like to hear other's opinions and/or see links to real reviews.

Side benefit -- same remote control commands as the E601i, so no reprogramming necessary.

If you could, could you please take a night photo if the screen straight on with a widescreen movie? I really want to see how the black bars blend into the surrounding dark shadows.

I'm really curious about the blacks to see if they're an improvement over my edge lit Sharp. Thanks.
post #14 of 23 Old 05-01-2013, 05:25 PM

Massively long day here today, so I can't do it tonight, but I'll take a look and see. The "clouding" was something that I definitely saw on the edge-lit E601i. As soon as the unit powered up, there was a non-uniform blotchiness all along the lower portion. Not something that was noticeable during viewing, but definitely there every time it was turned on. This has shown nothing of the sort so far.
post #15 of 23 Old 07-26-2013, 07:02 AM

with not a lot of info or reviews out on this TV I took a chance on it. the price to size ratio was just too good. after a few days of use I've got to say I'm fairly impressed. without doing a side by side I think it has better black levels than my 3 year old Samsung plasma.

my only real complaint is digital artifacts on some satellite channels is fairly prevalent but that isn't really a fault of the TV. blu rays and games look great
post #16 of 23 Old 07-26-2013, 08:31 AM

Liked: 11
Any sign of bleed or banding? and if possible picture of a black and a gray screen in dark room?
post #17 of 23 Old 07-26-2013, 11:15 AM

I haven't noticed any bleeding or banding. I'll try to get you a picture tomorrow evening.
post #18 of 23 Old 07-27-2013, 09:29 PM

This is a 1080i from DirecTV 16:9

This is 4:3 with black bars

This is on an HDMI with no connecting devices. The picture makes it look a lot worse than it really is. The blotches are barely noticeable to my naked eye

If I can remember I will try to take pictures of some movie credits. That'd be better I think
post #19 of 23 Old 07-29-2013, 02:55 AM

Thanks for the pictures cchant! I'll take your word for it that the camera makes the blotches look worse but in shocked they're there to begin with! It almost looks like my edge-lit e601i but on the opposite side. Mine is visible to the naked eye, however.

Did you ever have any experience with the edge lit E-series (like the 601i or the 701i)? I too can't find any info on the e650i and I'm strongly considering returning my e601i for the e650i if it has better PQ
post #20 of 23 Old 07-29-2013, 06:14 PM

I don't have much experience with the e601 or e701 besides just viewing them in store.

I didn't get a chance to take some pictures of credits but I will say that blotches are not visible while watching content and there are black bars on the screen.

they are only visible to me when on an input with no signal. to me it is a non issue. if it was easily visible during dark scenes it would bug me but it doesn't appear to be a problem.
post #21 of 23 Old 07-29-2013, 08:15 PM

Same here. The only time I see the blotches on my e601i is on startup or blank screens really. I have yet to watch a Blu ray on my TV yet (I don't own a Blu ray player) so I won't know what movie conditions look like either. I don't care about TV thickness really so I'm just going for best PQ/Bang for buck with screen size. Am incorrect in assuming 65 is significantly larger than 60?
post #22 of 23 Old 11-09-2014, 09:15 AM

Liked: 0
I bought one

Quote:
Originally Posted by falconman515 View Post
No one has purchased this TV yet???

All I've seen is pointless glossy screen replies. (and by the way the M650VSE is a glossy screen guys!)
I'm not happy with my E-series 70" and not a fan of edge-lit
Saw this today at Costco for less and rear LED ... may be a winner for the price!
No one has this set yet???
E650i-A2
Since I've had it (late 2013) I initially like the TV's picture quality.
I control it with a DirecTv RC66RX controller.
However, on a regular basis, when changing the volume, the TV's volume bar gets stuck, going all the way up or down, even though you release the volume button.
At that point, the volume is all the way down or up(blasting) and the TV doesn't respond to being turned off, either by the DirecTv remote, the Vizio remote, or pressing the power button on the TV itself.
Since the TV's power cord (in my situation) is not accessible, I have to run out into the garage and turn off the circuit breaker to that wall, and turn it back on after 30 seconds. Once the TV is back on, it's ok... until it happens again, which is at least once a week.

At this point I don't know if it's a remote code issue, where the code chosen works most of the time, but it is the wrong EXACT code for the TV.
post #23 of 23 Old 11-09-2014, 09:20 AM

Liked: 0
E650i-A2
Since I've had it (late 2013) I initially like the TV's picture quality.
I control it with a DirecTv RC66RX controller.
However, on a regular basis, when changing the volume, the TV's volume bar gets stuck, going all the way up or down, even though you release the volume button.
At that point, the volume is all the way down or up(blasting) and the TV doesn't respond to being turned off, either by the DirecTv remote, the Vizio remote, or pressing the power button on the TV itself.
Since the TV's power cord (in my situation) is not accessible, I have to run out into the garage and turn off the circuit breaker to that wall, and turn it back on after 30 seconds. Once the TV is back on, it's ok... until it happens again, which is at least once a week.

At this point I don't know if it's a remote code issue, where the code chosen works most of the time, but it is the wrong EXACT code for the TV.
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Vizio E Series E650i A2 65 Inch 1080p 120hz Smart Hdtv , Vizio 65 Inch Razor Led Smart Fhdtv M650vse , Samsung Un60es6500 60 Inch 3d Slim Led Hdtv
Gear in this thread