Is such lightbleeding considered normal? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 Old 04-12-2013, 08:55 PM - Thread Starter
Newbie
 
Andrey Andreev's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 4
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have just purchased LG 42LM669s. When reviewing a completely black image I have noticed that there is the typical for LED technology light bleeding. What I am asking is: are these levels of lgiht bleeding considered normal?

http://prikachi.com/images.php?images/18/6122018Q.jpg
http://prikachi.com/images.php?images/21/6122021z.jpg
http://prikachi.com/images.php?images/23/6122023e.jpg
http://prikachi.com/images.php?images/24/6122024u.jpg
Andrey Andreev is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 17 Old 04-12-2013, 09:06 PM
Senior Member
 
RollTide2011's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 400
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Most of that will probably go away with a little tweaking of the settings. Look for the owners thread for your model of tv and find settings others have posted. You may also want to check cnet.com if the reviewed your set there should be settings listed. That should get you by for the short time but I would recommend getting a calibration disk such a the one available on this site for free. Or spend $25 and get Disney Wow disk this option is great if you need instruction.
RollTide2011 is offline  
post #3 of 17 Old 04-12-2013, 09:09 PM
Senior Member
 
RollTide2011's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 400
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Oh and that's doesn't look too bad. But can't say for sure without knowing your settings.
RollTide2011 is offline  
post #4 of 17 Old 04-12-2013, 09:12 PM
Advanced Member
 
nickoakdl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 937
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Unfortunately, yes, if you have a edge-lit led lightbleed and/or flashlighting is considered normal. I bought an LG edge-lit led before I knew this and returned it because when watching a movie with black bars on top and bottom at night it was distracting. So much so everything looked like a dream sequence. Your options would be to look for a led that is backlit or has local-dimming, or go plasma.
nickoakdl is offline  
post #5 of 17 Old 04-13-2013, 03:30 AM - Thread Starter
Newbie
 
Andrey Andreev's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 4
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
well this one has local dimming and has backlit. The settings are the basic ones perhaps some additiona lsettings will remove that ? I am going to seriously test the TV this evening since it is only the third day of usage.

During daylight nothing is noticed and I am a bit worried if I change this I might not get a better one...
Andrey Andreev is offline  
post #6 of 17 Old 04-13-2013, 04:08 AM
AVS Special Member
 
eric3316's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 2,703
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 133 Post(s)
Liked: 605
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrey Andreev View Post

well this one has local dimming and has backlit. The settings are the basic ones perhaps some additiona lsettings will remove that ? I am going to seriously test the TV this evening since it is only the third day of usage.

During daylight nothing is noticed and I am a bit worried if I change this I might not get a better one...
Settings aren't going to make this go away. Lowering everything to make the screen as dark as possible to try and mask it doesn't fix the issue but will ruin the actual pq. Raising the local dimming to med or high will cause your picture to take a huge quality hit as well.

Looking at your pictures of your TV in a dark viewing I would say your screen looks normal(amazing we have to accept this as normal!) according to what edge lit LED screens produce. I have seen better and also have seen worse. It is up to you if you can live with it or not.
eric3316 is offline  
post #7 of 17 Old 04-13-2013, 05:07 AM
Senior Member
 
RollTide2011's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 400
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Andrew don't listen to to the plasma fanboys who like to come over to this forum page and bash the LCD models. I have 2 LEDs and with correct adjustment almost all flash lighting and clouding can be corrected un less there is a defect with your set and as I said yours doesn't look that bad because the camera always makes it appear brighter in the picture than in reality. The first thing is to make sure you are not using the pic setting of vivid, retail or whatever Your brand calls torch mode, you want to use normal or movie and the adjust from there. If you get a calibration disk you won't do the things mentioned above like crush the blacks.
RollTide2011 is offline  
post #8 of 17 Old 04-13-2013, 05:55 AM
AVS Special Member
 
eric3316's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 2,703
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 133 Post(s)
Liked: 605
Quote:
Originally Posted by RollTide2011 View Post

Andrew don't listen to to the plasma fanboys who like to come over to this forum page and bash the LCD models. I have 2 LEDs and with correct adjustment almost all flash lighting and clouding can be corrected un less there is a defect with your set and as I said yours doesn't look that bad because the camera always makes it appear brighter in the picture than in reality. The first thing is to make sure you are not using the pic setting of vivid, retail or whatever Your brand calls torch mode, you want to use normal or movie and the adjust from there. If you get a calibration disk you won't do the things mentioned above like crush the blacks.
Lol, plasma fan boy? I've had the 47lm4600, 55lm4600, 55lm6400, 55lm6700, and 2 55lm7600's. I am betting I have had more LED tv's in my house then you have so I sure can comment on this probably more then you can. Settings do not get rid of light bleeding. You can try to mask the issue at the expense of the pq but the bottom line is you are not fixing anything.

It seems more like LED folks are the fanboys and have accepted this as normal. If you can deal with this problem then that is great. I don't even care which technology has the better picture and if it wasn't for the light bleed I would still own an LED right now.

The OPs question was is his level of light bleed normal and I responded yes. If he is okay with it then it is his choice to keep it. I am not trying to get him to switch to anything but don't pretend that a few settings will just magically get rid of the bleed. If you turn the TV off you won't notice it either.
eric3316 is offline  
post #9 of 17 Old 04-13-2013, 07:46 AM - Thread Starter
Newbie
 
Andrey Andreev's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 4
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
So basically as a summarry - it seems that this can be considered as normal. I really want a LED TV for many reasons and the plasma is not an option for me. I myself don`t like the "type" of picture it produces. I am also not fond of the amount of energy it consumes smile.gif So thank you for your comments - perhaps I will try to adjust the picture and will check whether this really bothers me.

Can anyone post a picture of their own setup - just to be used as a refference?
Andrey Andreev is offline  
post #10 of 17 Old 04-13-2013, 08:27 AM
AVS Special Member
 
CaspianM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: Land of Cardinals
Posts: 5,841
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrey Andreev View Post

So basically as a summarry - it seems that this can be considered as normal. I really want a LED TV for many reasons and the plasma is not an option for me. I myself don`t like the "type" of picture it produces. I am also not fond of the amount of energy it consumes smile.gif So thank you for your comments - perhaps I will try to adjust the picture and will check whether this really bothers me.

Can anyone post a picture of their own setup - just to be used as a refference?

Give it a few hundred hours and they should ease considerably.

Also set up a dark room setting with lower backlid which should help.

Your TV is not too bad at all.


It is all about quality...that is the picture

JVC & NEC 8" CRT with 106" wide Stewart screen. All NHT speakers driven by Pioneer Elite AVR and bluray

Custom dedicated 8 seat theater

CaspianM is offline  
post #11 of 17 Old 04-13-2013, 09:11 AM
AVS Special Member
 
eric3316's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 2,703
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 133 Post(s)
Liked: 605
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrey Andreev View Post

So basically as a summarry - it seems that this can be considered as normal. I really want a LED TV for many reasons and the plasma is not an option for me. I myself don`t like the "type" of picture it produces. I am also not fond of the amount of energy it consumes smile.gif So thank you for your comments - perhaps I will try to adjust the picture and will check whether this really bothers me.

Can anyone post a picture of their own setup - just to be used as a refference?
Not to start a plasma vs. LED war but my 60" Plasma is rated at $29 a year vs. a 55" LED at $14. Not a reason to pick one over the other since newer plasma's are much more efficient with energy.

Your TV is not that bad. How much is your picture effected in dark scenes. That is what really matters now how the screen looks with no picture.
eric3316 is offline  
post #12 of 17 Old 04-13-2013, 10:48 AM
Advanced Member
 
nickoakdl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 937
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by eric3316 View Post

Not to start a plasma vs. LED war but my 60" Plasma is rated at $29 a year vs. a 55" LED at $14.

Problem is, post-calibration plasmas cost / year can often double, unlike LEDs, whose post-calibration can often get cut in half. That means your plasma post-calibration is likely $50+ and your LED is probably less than $10.
nickoakdl is offline  
post #13 of 17 Old 04-13-2013, 02:12 PM
AVS Special Member
 
eric3316's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 2,703
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 133 Post(s)
Liked: 605
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickoakdl View Post

Problem is, post-calibration plasmas cost / year can often double, unlike LEDs, whose post-calibration can often get cut in half. That means your plasma post-calibration is likely $50+ and your LED is probably less than $10.
Lowering the backlight and contrast will reduce electric consumption. No need to pay $300 for someone to calibrate to get those savings. Anyway, this really isn't the thread to get into this and don't want to be called a plasma troll again but if you look at my history on this forum since I joined, I was all about LED TVs and could not imagine anything else. Luckily towards the end I had an open mind which led me to getting a plasma which I had no intention of. I still visit the LED forum because this is where I started and have had a lot of the LGs 2012 LED models so I know there are people like me who come here for help or ask about the flash lighting issues that they did not know about before purchasing an LED TV.

I am not one to sugar coat things. I don't make money if someone buys a plasma or an LED TV. I have no loyalty to any technology or manufacturer. Whoever makes the best product for the money I want to spend will get my purchase. That is how everyone should be thinking here. No one should eliminate any technology unless they are willing to put in some time to research everything and not just take a persons word for something. If someone makes a claim the first thing I do is find as much info as I can to either prove it true or false. It is our hard earned money in the end that we are spending so we need to be happy with our purchase because that is what we want and not what someone else convinced you that you wanted.
eric3316 is offline  
post #14 of 17 Old 04-13-2013, 02:29 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Jacob305's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 2,395
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by eric3316 View Post

Lowering the backlight and contrast will reduce electric consumption. No need to pay $300 for someone to calibrate to get those savings. Anyway, this really isn't the thread to get into this and don't want to be called a plasma troll again but if you look at my history on this forum since I joined, I was all about LED TVs and could not imagine anything else. Luckily towards the end I had an open mind which led me to getting a plasma which I had no intention of. I still visit the LED forum because this is where I started and have had a lot of the LGs 2012 LED models so I know there are people like me who come here for help or ask about the flash lighting issues that they did not know about before purchasing an LED TV.

I am not one to sugar coat things. I don't make money if someone buys a plasma or an LED TV. I have no loyalty to any technology or manufacturer. Whoever makes the best product for the money I want to spend will get my purchase. That is how everyone should be thinking here. No one should eliminate any technology unless they are willing to put in some time to research everything and not just take a persons word for something. If someone makes a claim the first thing I do is find as much info as I can to either prove it true or false. It is our hard earned money in the end that we are spending so we need to be happy with our purchase because that is what we want and not what someone else convinced you that you wanted.

+1.

I felt the same way about plasmas until I got my first one a couple of years ago. I must say while I have to be more careful with it. I find the PQ so pleasing. the color and black on black is just amazing. I remember my lcd having the cloudy flashlight problem. that did bother me. I switched over to plasmas. speaking of color I like how the red and differnt colors on the plasmas are more proper color then anything I had seen before.

Jacob
Jacob305 is offline  
post #15 of 17 Old 04-13-2013, 03:15 PM
Member
 
bargugl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 148
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by eric3316 View Post

Not to start a plasma vs. LED war but my 60" Plasma is rated at $29 a year vs. a 55" LED at $14. Not a reason to pick one over the other since newer plasma's are much more efficient with energy.

Your TV is not that bad. How much is your picture effected in dark scenes. That is what really matters now how the screen looks with no picture.

The energy guide rating are based off what the tv draws on a default setting. Unfortunately, for plasma this is with stupid energy settings enabled that make the picture too dim. (This can be true with LED too but calibrated settings on LED do not draw that much more energy than the default) If you read the few reviews that bother to test energy usage once calibrated, energy draw for plasma is still about 2.5-3 times of an equivalent size LED (testing showed about 250-300 watts for plasmas in a 50" size vs about 100 watts or less for the LED). Plasmas are more efficient than older models but not anywhere near LED. With that said, it still only equates to about a $25-$30 difference in annual energy cost so it becomes more about environmental conscience than that much savings to your pocket book.

In regards to the OP's original questions, yes this is quite normal and as others have pointed out, it is a flaw of LED edge-lit that can majorly affect picture quality. If you have to go LED and the flashlighting is bothersome for you, you might want to check out some of the newer direct-lit models as they can be better in regards to this type of problem. Otherwise, plasma is still top dog for overall PQ.

For those curious, here is the energyguide testing guideline for on mode (In a nutshell by setting default settings on the set low enough, manufacturers can cheat a little bit and get a better result on the label):

1) Power measurements shall be performed with the product in its as-shipped condition for the
duration of On Mode testing, with all user-configurable options set to factory defaults, except as
otherwise specified by the test procedure.

2) Picture level adjustments shall be performed per the instructions in IEC 62087, Ed. 2.0, Section
11.4.8.

3) Products that include a “forced menu” upon initial start-up shall be tested in “standard” or “home”
picture mode. Products that do not include a forced menu shall be tested in the default picture
mode. In the case that no “standard” mode or equivalent exists, the first mode listed in the onscreen menus shall be used for testing and noted in the test report.


IEC 62087 Section 11.4.8 states:
The contrast and brightness of the television set and the backlight level, if it exists, shall be set as originally adjusted by the manufacturer to the end user. In the case that a setting mode must be chosen on initial activation, the “standard mode”or equivalent shall be chosen. In the case that no “standard mode” or equivalent exists, the first mode listed in the on-screen menus shall be selected. The mode used during the test shall be described in the report.
bargugl is offline  
post #16 of 17 Old 04-13-2013, 06:06 PM - Thread Starter
Newbie
 
Andrey Andreev's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 4
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have watched a movie tonight and turned the Cinema setting on (instead of Standard) and no light bleeding was noticed. So I guess what I have is a standard LED TV with bareable light bleeding. Thank you all for the comments smile.gif
Andrey Andreev is offline  
post #17 of 17 Old 04-14-2013, 04:15 AM
AVS Special Member
 
eric3316's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 2,703
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 133 Post(s)
Liked: 605
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrey Andreev View Post

I have watched a movie tonight and turned the Cinema setting on (instead of Standard) and no light bleeding was noticed. So I guess what I have is a standard LED TV with bareable light bleeding. Thank you all for the comments smile.gif
Glad you are happy with your TV. Now you can actually enjoy what it was meant for, watching TV!
eric3316 is offline  
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off