2. Seating distance
About 12'

3. Size/placement limitations
Want at least a 46" TV

4. Uses and sources
Xbox and Movies

5. Room lighting

Dim Lit

I have found three TVs that I am trying to decide upon. They are open items from Best Buy and I can get them for a good deal.
I am looking at these TVs:

Samsung UN46D7000 http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-UN46D7000-46-Inch-1080p-Silver/dp/B004O6MN7E

Sony BRAVIA KDL46HX800 http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-UN46D7000-46-Inch-1080p-Silver/dp/B004O6MN7E

Panasonic VIERA TC-P50UT50 http://www.amazon.com/Panasonic-VIERA-TC-P50UT50-50-Inch-Plasma/dp/B00752VKFK

I can get any three of these TVs for $500. I am trying to find out which one will be the best for me but I am stuck. I was hoping you guys could help me out. I don't care if the TV is a Smart TV I just want a really good picture. Let me know which you guys recommend.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 04-19-2013, 12:13 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Great! Asking before buying is the best to do before spending your hard earned money on a TV that you could use for a long time. I am a gamer as well and I regretted a lot not asking before making my TV purchase. Well, first of all, you should not buy an LCD/LED for gaming. I bought a Samsung 120HZ 46" and you can see a lot of judder, or whatever is called, when there is movement on the screen. If you are gaming on an LCD, you will notice it a lot more. I highly doubt that 240HZ solves this. So go for a plasma. Now, make sure to get the response time as low as possible because this will avoid input lag, and yeah, you do not want input lag for games.

OK, now, plasmas are great for gaming and provide a wonderful picture quality, however, you need to make sure that it is not an old model because those are more probably to get burned in, specially if you are playing games.

I would buy the Samsung one, but I don't know, let's wait for more people to answer but not right now because it is very late and probably not many people feel as answering threads at this time haha. Good luck! smile.gif
post #3 of 5 Old 04-19-2013, 03:13 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Villagepeople View Post

Great! Asking before buying is the best to do before spending your hard earned money on a TV that you could use for a long time. I am a gamer as well and I regretted a lot not asking before making my TV purchase. Well, first of all, you should not buy an LCD/LED for gaming. I bought a Samsung 120HZ 46" and you can see a lot of judder, or whatever is called, when there is movement on the screen. If you are gaming on an LCD, you will notice it a lot more. I highly doubt that 240HZ solves this. So go for a plasma. Now, make sure to get the response time as low as possible because this will avoid input lag, and yeah, you do not want input lag for games.

OK, now, plasmas are great for gaming and provide a wonderful picture quality, however, you need to make sure that it is not an old model because those are more probably to get burned in, specially if you are playing games.

I would buy the Samsung one, but I don't know, let's wait for more people to answer but not right now because it is very late and probably not many people feel as answering threads at this time haha. Good luck! smile.gif

I edited my post and changed out one of the TVs. The Samsung one is not one I will be able to get anymore. What do you think between these three TVs? Anyone else have any thoughts?
post #4 of 5 Old 04-23-2013, 08:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 201 Post(s)
Liked: 294
I have a 50" 2012 plasma it games real nice . Minor Temp image retention goes away after regular viewing . If you do go plasma keep your contrast and brightness ~50% or so when gaming . Also have a 32 inch toshiba 2012 model as well it has a game mode and games pretty well.
if the games you play do not have static (still) images then there is no worry . lots of newer games are getting better about this . IF you get an LCD/LED try to find one with a game mode Some of the Toshiba sets are good and have game modes. The SONY is a good set if you can turn off or turn down the smooth motion if not it might not be the greatest game set. OTOH if it has a game mode that will usually do that for you..
Google the model #'s, something like "Is Sony KDL46HX800 good for gaming " you might find some opinions out there.
The panny might be the best gamer , picture will be good also.

"The wireless music box has no commercial value. Who would pay for a message sent to nobody in particular?"
- David Sarnoff's associates at RCA the 1920's -
post #5 of 5 Old 04-23-2013, 11:02 PM

Something I don't see mentioned much is 30fps games show double image on plasma. Like if you pan the camera around quickly on GTA you'll see two trees or two buildings. Dirt 3 was just awful. Replays on Forza 4 were garbage you'd see your car and then another version of your car trailing behind it. My plasmas had great pictures but the IR from huds and double image sucked. Got an LCD now and love not worrying about leaving the tv on espn or worrying about playing a game to long.

Turn the brightness down! You've had your TV to bright now you have to leave your TV on with low contrast and brightness with no channel logos or huds.
The FIRST page of a samsung plasma manual says: "DO NOT display a still image (such as a video game) on the plasma display panel for more than SEVERAL MINUTES as it can cause screen image retention."

What a joke no wonder only a few companys still sell these things. They do have the best picture available though. I don't think they have the best picture if you've got your brightness/contrast super low and the screen blown out in zoom 2 stretch mode to avoid black bars or logos like a lot of people recommend. Just my opinion. I would never buy another plasma.
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page