TV with motion smoothing as PC monitor - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 04-19-2013, 04:10 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I want to hook up my yet to be bought TV to my PC and use as a monitor for desktop and gaming but I also really hate the 60 Hz refresh rates and I'm looking at the panels with motion smoothing technology such as 240 CMR and Sony motion flow. I was wondering if anybody with the TV that has these types of technology for motion smoothing has tested it with their PC to see if you can still enable the motion smoothing technology while it is hooked up to your PC. Even if this disables 444 subsampling I would still be okay with it because I don't think 444 is necessary for PC gaming. I would rather have the motion smoothing technology when gaming.

I know there will be some input lag, but of course the less input lag, the better.

I know that the 144 Hz monitors as well as the light boost trick, but these are TN panels and only go up to 27 inches.

Here's some quotes from other forums that I found regarding this topic. Apparently the Sony motion flow technology is pretty good but I can't confirm that it works with PCs because the quotes I found were from PS3 and Xbox users. If anyone has a Sony motion flow TV could you try it on your PC and see if you can get the motion flow going and how the input lag is?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 04-20-2013, 08:32 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I have a Sony 32EX720 hooked up to a GTX 670 4GB.
Performance is generally well, but the refresh rate still caps out at 60Hz according to nVidia control panel.
post #3 of 7 Old 04-20-2013, 12:17 PM - Thread Starter

. Have you looked into the new Nvidia LCD overclocking utility that latest set of drivers? Some people have been able to squeeze 10 or 20 Hz extra, and there is one guy who reported being able to send and display 120 Hz to his tv:

http://120hz.net/showthread.php?852-Managed-to-force-120Hz-on-a-Vizio-e3d420vx

gotta use the right cable certain hdmi only does 60hz
post #4 of 7 Old 04-20-2013, 05:45 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I tried creating a custom resolution of 1920 x 1080 @ 120 Hz, but it wouldn't work.
TV reports unsupported signal.
If I remember correctly Sony XR240 isn't really 240.
post #5 of 7 Old 04-20-2013, 06:04 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 37
I wouldn't spend too much time trying to force the TV into higher refresh rates. The motion technologies can give you the same visual effect as having a higher refresh and frame rate without actually having either. I played through the PC version of Tomb Raider (2013) on the Sony HX850 with Motionflow enabled and the fluidity and lack of motion blur was fantastic, even though I certainly was not getting more than 60 frames per second.
post #6 of 7 Old 04-20-2013, 10:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 19
Quote:
I would rather have the motion smoothing technology when gaming.

So you want your tv to be creating extra frames that shouldn't be there in the first place?
Quote:
I know there will be some input lag, but of course the less input lag, the better.

ANY kind of motion processing will be too much for gamers.
Quote:
Apparently the Sony motion flow technology is pretty good but I can't confirm that it works with PCs because the quotes I found were from PS3 and Xbox users.

As far as the tv is concerned, a 1080p tv input is the same as a 1080p pc input. It shoudn't matter at all. But as I said above, you really don't want motion processing.
Quote:
. Have you looked into the new Nvidia LCD overclocking utility that latest set of drivers? Some people have been able to squeeze 10 or 20 Hz extra, and there is one guy who reported being able to send and display 120 Hz to his tv:

There is no hdmi standard of 120hz input. The max a tv can accept is 60hz.
post #7 of 7 Old 04-21-2013, 05:16 PM - Thread Starter

oh yeah forgot bout hdmi. doesn't 1.4 do above 60?

the guy in the link i posted did it with a dvi cable and hdmi adapter

dvi and dport does 120

yeah some ppl dont mind the extra input lag. twitch gamers will tho. if the input lag from interpolation on TV's is minimal i would be fine playing my single players games on it. can't beat a 120hz+ big screen when it comes to nice visuals

but does the motionflow option when gaming cause eyestrain? cuz i hear it flickers the backlight to reduce blur. not sure if it flickers at 60 or 120hz. its a combination of strobing backlight + frame interpolation both contributing to reduce blur
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page