Is this a good deal or not? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 04-20-2013, 01:29 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I am able to purchase a 46" Sony Bravia KDL-46HX800 from Best Buy for $599.99.

Is this a good deal or not? It was Best Buy's shelf display so it has been on the shelf for a while now. It seems like it is in good condition and $600 seems like a pretty good deal to me but I am not sure if I should jump on this deal or not?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 04-20-2013, 03:30 PM

Liked: 13
Seeing as how that TV came out summer 2010 and has probably been running on vivid mode on average around 11 hours a day for almost 3 years. I would say no unless you plan on getting some sort of extended warranty.
post #3 of 6 Old 04-20-2013, 06:15 PM - Thread Starter

Well I can get the 2 year warranty for about $20 since I am a Best Buy employee. Ignoring the fact that the TV has been in use that long, is $600 a good deal for the TV or should I look elsewhere?
post #4 of 6 Old 04-20-2013, 07:09 PM

Liked: 13
Its a tough choice. From what I remember it was the 2nd highest TV from Sony that year. The XBR was above the HX800. It is a good deal but if 240Hz is not a must have you can find 120Hz 3D Smart TV's in 46 inch sizes for just a few hundred more than the HX800.
post #5 of 6 Old 04-20-2013, 08:25 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by theblackkeys View Post

Its a tough choice. From what I remember it was the 2nd highest TV from Sony that year. The XBR was above the HX800. It is a good deal but if 240Hz is not a must have you can find 120Hz 3D Smart TV's in 46 inch sizes for just a few hundred more than the HX800.

I am mostly going to be using it for gaming on my Xbox 360. I have considered a Plasma as well. I think I am going to hold off for now. I have heard 240Hz on LED TVs sometimes causes jitters while gaming. Is this true?
post #6 of 6 Old 04-21-2013, 03:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Location: Sacramento delta N. Cal. US Don't trust any air I can't see ☺
Quoted: 521 Post(s)
Liked: 361
Most 240 hz sets have the ability to set the refresh to 240, 120 or back to 60hz the Sony should provide that option or at least a game mode that should set it at 60hz for you. .
Even if not gaming I would check for that capability you will usually want 60Hz for gaming no more than 120hz which can be good with some games. .

Controlling the refresh rate is useful to reduce the "soap opera effect" that frame interpolation can produce on some TV programs .
and make game play better

Some TV's Have a game mode which turns down the refresh setting for you in addition to turning off other processing that could inhibit gaming .
check out these reviews of best gaming TV's .

http://lcdtvbuyingguide.com/best-gaming-tv.html

http://www.techradar.com/us/news/television/best-tv-for-gaming-what-you-need-to-know-935647\

So ............ You work at BB ................No Insignia eh........... hmmm ?

I have a 50 inch plasma that games real nice also a 32" Toshiba with game mode that does ok .
that being said the Sony is was about $1400.00 new An Amazon seller still has a new ones for $1299.00 That Sony is probably a pretty good set though but the hours are a concern.

You can find a number of 46" sets for around $600.00 Amazon has a TCL for $498.00 Tiger direct has a Toshiba 46" for $604.99
I've owned Sony and Toshiba in past (Just bought another Toshiba 32 at BB for the bedroom in January good picture) . I always have good luck and performance with both Sony and Toshiba .
No affil
check this out
Best HDTVs (44 - 49 inches)
http://reviews.cnet.com/best-43-49-inch-hdtvs/

Hires Music formats ..............."Why does it sound like a CD ?" ............. can we make it louder "?
"The wireless music box has no commercial value. Who would pay for a message sent to nobody in particular?"
- David Sarnoff's associates at RCA the 1920's -
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page