Buy a cheaper, larger LED TV without 3D? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 04-21-2013, 12:29 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I am looking for a large (at least 60 inches) LED or plasma flat screen for a condo living room and am not too concerned about features (except those that interact with my laptop and digital camera).

One local retailer told me they had a 60" Sharp model at a fraction of the price of other brands' 60" TVs, mainly because it had no 3D.

Are there any drawbacks to buying an older model TV or even a current one without 3D? Are there other features that will not be available?

I am not concerned about 3D and do not think there is a lot of support for it yet, anwyay.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 04-21-2013, 04:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 138 Post(s)
Liked: 610
Budget? All comes dowm to what you want to spend. If the TV comes with added features no on will twist your arm to use them. What is you definition of cheap?
post #3 of 7 Old 04-21-2013, 06:11 AM - Thread Starter

I don't really have a budget; it's more that I don't really want to pay for 3D. The non-3D model they carried was 60% cheaper than the next cheapest 60 inch.
post #4 of 7 Old 04-21-2013, 06:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 138 Post(s)
Liked: 610
The thing is a lot of times the better TV's will have the 3d feature. Non 3d tv's aren't just cheaper because they lack 3d, they might also have a less quality panel. So you need to decide if you are more interested in picture quality or just getting something large whith an inferior panel.
post #5 of 7 Old 04-21-2013, 07:26 AM

Liked: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolnewbie View Post

I am looking for a large (at least 60 inches) LED or plasma flat screen for a condo living room and am not too concerned about features (except those that interact with my laptop and digital camera).

One local retailer told me they had a 60" Sharp model at a fraction of the price of other brands' 60" TVs, mainly because it had no 3D.

Are there any drawbacks to buying an older model TV or even a current one without 3D? Are there other features that will not be available?

I am not concerned about 3D and do not think there is a lot of support for it yet, anwyay.

Since you mentioned Sharp, I just got a marked down 70" 2012 model showroom display: 70LE640U. No 3D.

This replaces my 65" LG 65LW6500 passive 3D set in my home theater. The LG is a real mirror, and is now in our living room where the reflective screen is less annoying. While I like passive 3D occasionally, I have found I don't want to watch it very often. I dislike active 3D and since all the Sharps are currently active, I was glad to get the base model with no 3D. I wanted big, with good 2D picture quality, and am satisfied. You can get better picture quality, but be prepared to pay more.

My Sharp has decent native contrast, 2,200:1 according to one review I read, as opposed to the LG's 1,600:1. That makes a considerable difference in picture quality. Uniformity is pretty good for an edge-lit set, although not as good as full array. (All current offerings from Sharp are edge-lit AFAIK, the Elites having been discontinued). The screen is much less reflective than the LG and the viewing angle is good enough. I'd say about 40-45 degrees either way from dead center.

All Sharps have a reasonably good onboard media player. I play H.264 encoded MKVs (re-encoded from my Blu-Ray collection) direct from powered external 2 TB, ntfs formatted hard drives.

Good luck.
post #6 of 7 Old 04-25-2013, 10:34 PM - Thread Starter

Any other brand you would consider for a no 3D buy?

That was very helpful Fritzi, thanks.
post #7 of 7 Old 04-25-2013, 10:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked: 148
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolnewbie View Post

Any other brand you would consider for a no 3D buy?

That was very helpful Fritzi, thanks.
The 70" E series Vizio has some very good reviews and can be had for under $1600.
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page