Sony W802a Series vs Samsung F6400 series vs Panasonic ST60 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 04-25-2013, 10:02 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 16
So I've been researching and imo these are the top 3 TV's coming out this year as far as value,picture quality, and manufacturer recognition. I'm sure a lot of you potential buyers have been looking at these models as well, which one do you like best and why?

Sony W802A Series Features

•Full HD 1080p
•Dynamic Edge LED backlight
•X-Reality™ PRO,
•Motionflow™ XR 480,
•built-in Wi-Fi,
•Screen Mirroring with NFC,
•S-Force Surround Sound, SimulView™,
•Skype®,
•watch 3D with 4 pairs of passive glasses

Pansonic St60 Series Features

◾My Home Screen
◾Swipe & Share 2.0
◾Voice Guidance
◾Infinite Black Pro
◾2,500 Focused Field Drive
◾1080p Full HD Resolution, Full HD 3D
◾Electronic Touch Pen (Optional Accessory)

Samsung F6400 Series Features

•black bezel and cabinet with "Black Luminus" stand
•tuner receives over-the-air HDTV broadcasts (antenna required)
•QAM cable TV tuner (subscription required to receive cable channels — contact your local service provider for details)
•displays 3D images when you wear Samsung's active 3D glasses (two pairs of glasses are included)
•2D-to-3D conversion adds 3D-like depth to non-3D video sources
•LED edge backlight with Micro Dimming for superior picture contrast
•Clear Motion Rate 480 blur reduction (120Hz refresh rate plus backlight scanning)
•Internet-ready Smart TV — plays Netflix® video and more (subscription required for some services)
•supports up to 5.1-channel audio with streaming movie services like Netflix and Vudu™ (audio quality depends on your connection speed)
•built-in Wi-Fi® to link to a wireless network
•built-in web browser
•dual-core processor for improved web browsing and app multitasking
•AllShare™ video and music streaming from a DLNA-compatible Windows® PC
•2-way screen mirroring via Wi-Fi — send content wirelessly from device-to-TV or TV-to-device with compatible Samsung smartphones and tablets
•Skype™-compatible (requires Samsung camera — sold separately)
•wireless keyboard-compatible (keyboard not included)
•built-in stereo speakers (10 watts x 2)
•illuminated touchpad remote with built-in microphone for voice control
•free downloadable Android app lets you use a compatible smartphone or tablet as a remote control
•Anynet+ simplifies control of compatible Samsung components via the HDMI connection (HDMI-CEC)
•meets ENERGY STAR® requirements

Gamertag: Elder Sasquatch
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 04-25-2013, 01:33 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 469 Post(s)
Liked: 419
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sasquatch321 View Post

So I've been researching and imo these are the top 3 TV's coming out this year as far as value,picture quality, and manufacturer recognition.

Value:
What's the price?

Picture Quality:
What's the size and what makes the picture quality "worth" the price?

Manufacturer recognition:
Doesn't mean anything IMO. (Unless you're comparing to Dynex, Insignia, Hisense or any other "off-brand")
post #3 of 9 Old 04-25-2013, 01:47 PM

Liked: 11
Forget the samsung.

If you plan on only watching movies and TV shows get the ST60.

If you plan on doing any gaming get the W802.

post #4 of 9 Old 04-25-2013, 04:55 PM

Sony I have samsung but if I can afford Sony I would've went that route
post #5 of 9 Old 04-25-2013, 11:32 PM

the w802a does not compete with the f6400 at all btw. The r550 is more of the competitive model to the f6400, the w802a competes against the f7100,7500, and possibly even the f8000 model.

Currently Using:
SONY 55HX750
LG 55LM7600
B&W Panorama 1
post #6 of 9 Old 04-26-2013, 11:32 AM - Thread Starter

Well Sony makes a solid tv, I currently have an Ex720 series model and have been very happy with its gaming performance. But the W802a is now believed to be using an IPS panel from LG, The problem with this panel is its contrast ratio is rated around 1000:1 and that doesn't help with black levels. Some buyers have said they are disappointed to find the black levels are indeed lighter this year. I guess I'm interested now to find out what the Samsung 6400 and 7100 series are using for panels, before I go ahead and decide to go with the higher input lag on a ST60.

post #7 of 9 Old 05-28-2013, 04:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 36
I think the black levels on modern IPS panels have improved. I was impressed with the black level on the Sony KDL-55W802A when I configured it in the store. You just have to use the right settings IMO.

Yesterday, I read that the Panasonics use IPS-ALPHA technology, which can get brighter than the IPS LG technology in the Sony. So after this awesome discovery, I looked the Panasonics up online yesterday. To my disappointment, the TC-L47 (was it ST60 or VT60) might have fit on my bottom shelf if I was able to find a lower-profile stand, but its price is nearly double the Sony KDL-47W802A. Panasonic's other two 47 inch models might have been more affordable, but they would be too wide for me to place my two front speakers on each side. So I was thinking of going with the TC-L42S60 because of the IPS-ALPHA technology, but then I remembered that with the combination of my sight impairment and wanting others to be able to view it from around the room, I really need to fit as large a viewing area on my shelf as possible. So far, the Sony KDL-47W802A is the only panel with a 47 inch viewing area that will accomidate my height and width. I'm hoping that I'll be able to get the Sony W802 series as bright as I got it the first time I checked it out. I guess I'll have to make sure that the power saver, auto light senser,, Scene Select Sync, and the auto light limiter are disabled, set Scene Select to General, and make my preferred settings, including fooling with the dynamic range under Pro.
post #8 of 9 Old 05-28-2013, 08:31 AM - Thread Starter

I got a chance to see the W802a at Best Buy yesterday and I would say it has the nicest design of any tv in the store. To my eyes it popped out more compared to tvs around it because of the IPS panel inside, which is now making me seriously consider this tv. The picture had vibrant color and pop with a good show of depth, making it look better than even the Samsung F7100 series. The fact that it also has the lowest input lag in the world for an LED, has me very intrigued to pull the trigger. With one week to go before I make a purchase it's going to be a tough call between this and the Samsung F7100. I just can't bring myself to go with plasma due to too much care needed and high input lag.

post #9 of 9 Old 09-24-2013, 03:21 PM

Liked: 10
What tv did you end up buying? I am strongly considering buying a 55" w802a from Sony because of the good picture quality and amazing low input lag scores.

Did you like what you bought and why?
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Sony Bravia Kdl 47w802a 47 Class Full Hd 3d Led Lcd Internet Tv , Samsung Un75f6400 75 Inch 3d Slim Smart Led Hdtv , Panasonic Tc P60st60 60 Inch 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv , Samsung Ssg 3100gb 3d Active Glasses Black Only Compatible With 2011 3d Tvs
Gear in this thread - 3100gb by PriceGrabber.com