Not sure if I should return my TV or not. Advice Please? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 04-26-2013, 10:36 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello,

As the title says. I'm not sure what I should do. So if anyone can offer advise and or help it's much appreciated. And thanks in advance for checking this out and reading.

(Model of TV : LG47CS570)

I am unsure what I should do now. I recently purchased a HDTV at Future Shop. I really like the TV but after a few days I noticed an issue. Everything else about the TV is great. But this issue is really bothering me. I believe it is called "Dirty Screen Effect" or a "Uniform" issue. But I am not sure. It's a constant issue. Whenever there is an image that is of a brighter nature (Sky, Grass, Ice etc) and the camera pans there is this issue you see on the screen that looks like dirt or a veil over the screen. Since the TV is used a lot for gaming this is a big concern. I am still within my 30 days return (not much longer though. Only a few days) and I have a 3 year extended warranty plan with Futureshop. I am not sure what to do... the TV is too large to take to the store (It was delivered). I am not even sure if this is covered under the warranty or if a normal exchange would be warranted since it's within the 30 days. The other issue is I am concerned with returning it and getting another one with some other issue bigger then this one. Can someone offer help or advice on this issue? I paid a nice amount of money and I'd like a nice TV without issues. I am trying to just not let this get to me but it's not easy... it's bothersome. Please if you can let me know my options or give some advice. Thank you.

--H-Falcon
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 04-26-2013, 11:05 PM

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Can you post some pics so we can see the severity of it?

Bxbigpipi
post #3 of 8 Old 04-26-2013, 11:23 PM - Thread Starter

How could I capture that on pics? When the image is still you don't notice it. Only with motion do you notice it...
post #4 of 8 Old 04-26-2013, 11:58 PM

Liked: 35
No tv is perfect. JUst back up further & further away until it's no longer an issue.
post #5 of 8 Old 04-27-2013, 12:13 AM

Liked: 21
I would return it. You will forever be wondering if it is just a drawback of the technology or a fault with your unit - and you will spew if you see another one that doesnt have the issue and you are stuck with yours.
If it costs nothing to return it then get it swapped and if it still does it, at least you know it's 'normal'.
I did the same with my Sharp LC60LE940X unit with backlight bleed and crap 3d. It's still crap, but at least i know it's designed that way and not a fault with the unit (which is some consolation).
post #6 of 8 Old 04-27-2013, 05:55 PM - Thread Starter

The problem with returning it is if I get a unit that is even worse. Or has some other issue that is more noticeable. How many times can I return it before they say "enough is enough". I don't even know if they will allow me to return it or if this falls into the "it still works under normal operation or falls within guidelines so you can't return it" type thing. I'm just not sure. And since it's not a smaller unit it's not like I can just take it in. I have to arrange delivery and all that. Ugh... this is so annoying.
post #7 of 8 Old 04-27-2013, 06:32 PM

Liked: 13
I wish I could help you. I've been through 8 TVs over the past year from different retailers trying to buy a new one. They've all had some problem, from buzzing and flicker with the plasmas, to blue shadows, banding, DSE (dirty screen effect), flashlighting, or overall poor uniformity on the LCDs. Either I'm super-unlucky or TV's now just suck. The irony is that they usually look/sound fine in the store which gets your hopes up, but of course when you get home with yours and open the box you can see or hear a problem within minutes and you get sick to your stomach. I am the type of person whose eye is drawn to the imperfection the whole time I'm trying to watch the set, so I have had a hard time settling for flaws on my expensive new TV.

I'm going to try a direct-lit LED next because getting an edge-lit without uniformity issues is harder than winning the lottery, apparently. Here we go again!

I've dealt with Best Buy for most of these sets and they have always been great about it. Thanks to their "Perfect Match Promise" they have come to my house to pick up the sets every time without charging me. And yes, every time you return a set it is a gamble that you will exchange one flaw for another. (Yay! No DSE. Oh wait, are those dead pixels? $#!+) I would advise you to ask Future Shop what would happen if you exchange and the new set is no better or worse. They should be able to tell you if it will be a problem or not.
post #8 of 8 Old 04-27-2013, 07:03 PM

I own both the 42CS570 and the 47CS570 and I do not have a dirty screen on either one ..just beautiful displays with zero clouding and bright vibrant colors with really white whites and great blacks....I am puzzled why this is happening to you...I just returned a Samsung 40ES6100 an LED with horrific edge lighting that bled through dark colors..I saw the rave reviews on my new sets and I am so glad to have picked up these beauties before they were sold out..try to see if you can get a replacement of your defective set..these sets are amazing so far...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays