Best 60 to 65 LED/LCD for under $1,500 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 12 Old 04-29-2013, 12:46 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 13
My sister is looking for a new TV for their living room and does not want to spend more than $1,500.00. She does not care about smart tv etc and 3D would be nice, but is not a must have.

She can not go with plasma because there is TONS of light in her living room. The TV does not also have to be the newest model. She is just looking for a solid TV with a great picture for bright room. Ideally the TV would be 65 inches but that may not be possible given her budget, so she may have to go with 60 inches or 55.

Can some people recommend a good set.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 04-30-2013, 08:58 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Anyone have any recommendations? BUMP
post #3 of 12 Old 04-30-2013, 09:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 631 Post(s)
Liked: 848
You are not going to get a great LED TV in that size for that price. You can get an amazing 60" plasma with a great screen for glare that does work well in bright rooms. The Panasonic ST60. You can even get a 65" S64 from Costco that does not have all the bells and whistles of the ST60 but does have a screen to reflect light.

No LED in this price will come close to the picture of these Plasma's. You will end up getting an LED with terrible flash lighting and horrible blur. If that it's what you want, Best Buy has some Samsung's on sale.
post #4 of 12 Old 04-30-2013, 10:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Sharp LC60-LE650 sells for 1199 most anywhere. Smart tv with dual-core processor,no 3D, 4 HDMI inputs vs 2 on Samsungs at this price point.

Plasmas do come closer to being "videophile" quality at this price point but don't compete as well with very high room brightness and are not idiot-proof in that you do have to exercise a little caution with them to avoid image retention. With the overcompression of most cable and satellite signals you're going to get compression blur on fast motion (which will show up just at bad on plasma) anyway.

For a videophile willing to exercise a little light control in the room and not likely to pause a video game for hours on end plasma's the answer, of course, but for casual family use in a sunny bright room led/lcd is a better fit. Most flashlighting/clouding is most noticeable when watching very dark content in a very dark room.

Steve S.
post #5 of 12 Old 04-30-2013, 11:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve S View Post

Sharp LC60-LE650 sells for 1199 most anywhere. Smart tv with dual-core processor,no 3D, 4 HDMI inputs vs 2 on Samsungs at this price point.

Plasmas do come closer to being "videophile" quality at this price point but don't compete as well with very high room brightness and are not idiot-proof in that you do have to exercise a little caution with them to avoid image retention. With the overcompression of most cable and satellite signals you're going to get compression blur on fast motion (which will show up just at bad on plasma) anyway.

For a videophile willing to exercise a little light control in the room and not likely to pause a video game for hours on end plasma's the answer, of course, but for casual family use in a sunny bright room led/lcd is a better fit. Most flashlighting/clouding is most noticeable when watching very dark content in a very dark room.

I have owned the LG 55lm7600 and the daytime glare was horrible. The front of the screen was like a mirror. While plasma's might not get as bright as an LED the filters on the screen actually do a better job with the reflections and obsorbing the light instead of keeping it on front of the screen.

For the LED route, I do believe more of the Sharp's have semi-matte screens which will be better for well lit rooms. I think the lower end Samsung LED will have a lot of glare to them. It is their higher end models that start to get better light filters on them.
post #6 of 12 Old 04-30-2013, 11:33 PM

Liked: 12
Not to hijack this thread, but my question is nearly identical to stepmback, only my budget is a bit higher.

Regardless of budget, what's the most affordable LCD/LED TV that even comes close to the picture quality of the ST60? I've already returned the ST60 and will now be returning the Samsung F5300 because both exhibit a horrid Rainbow Effect (RBE) for me that manifests as an obnoxious green flicker -- the ST60 was the worst between the two in this regard. I absolutely love the picture quality of these plasmas, especially the ST60, but I sadly couldn't live with the RBE. Now that I've pretty much confirmed any brand of plasma is going to have this problem, I've come to the sad realization I have to go back to LCD technology. I really want a beautiful TV though.

My budget is ~$2k, but I might be able to flex it a bit if I have to. I'm also looking for a 60"-65" set. Someone in the ST60 thread recommended the Sony X850, but that maxes out as a 55". frown.gif

Does anyone have any recommendations? What are my best options. I don't care at all about 3D or Smart TV features. Just want the best blacks, motion handling, and color accuracy I can get with LCD/LED that isn't like $5k (i.e. Sharp Elite).

Thanks!
post #7 of 12 Old 05-01-2013, 05:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikejer View Post

Not to hijack this thread, but my question is nearly identical to stepmback, only my budget is a bit higher.

Regardless of budget, what's the most affordable LCD/LED TV that even comes close to the picture quality of the ST60? I've already returned the ST60 and will now be returning the Samsung F5300 because both exhibit a horrid Rainbow Effect (RBE) for me that manifests as an obnoxious green flicker -- the ST60 was the worst between the two in this regard. I absolutely love the picture quality of these plasmas, especially the ST60, but I sadly couldn't live with the RBE. Now that I've pretty much confirmed any brand of plasma is going to have this problem, I've come to the sad realization I have to go back to LCD technology. I really want a beautiful TV though.

My budget is ~$2k, but I might be able to flex it a bit if I have to. I'm also looking for a 60"-65" set. Someone in the ST60 thread recommended the Sony X850, but that maxes out as a 55". frown.gif

Does anyone have any recommendations? What are my best options. I don't care at all about 3D or Smart TV features. Just want the best blacks, motion handling, and color accuracy I can get with LCD/LED that isn't like $5k (i.e. Sharp Elite).

Thanks!
I do not think much is going to come close to the PQ of the ST60 in the 2,000 range but what about the Samsung 60ES7500? It is a 2012 model and can be had for under $2000. I know you do not care about smart features and 3d but every better TV will have it. If you wanted a 2013 model the 60F7100 is also under 2k. Not sure how it holds up picture wise to the 2012 7500 though.

You can also probably find the es8000 for a little over 2k. Not sure how much of a boost you would get in pq over the 7500 though. You might need to inquire in the Samsung thread if you are interested in any of these models.

Not sure what other 60" TV's will give a better pq then these Samsungs.
post #8 of 12 Old 05-01-2013, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eric3316 View Post

I do not think much is going to come close to the PQ of the ST60 in the 2,000 range but what about the Samsung 60ES7500? It is a 2012 model and can be had for under $2000. I know you do not care about smart features and 3d but every better TV will have it. If you wanted a 2013 model the 60F7100 is also under 2k. Not sure how it holds up picture wise to the 2012 7500 though.

You can also probably find the es8000 for a little over 2k. Not sure how much of a boost you would get in pq over the 7500 though. You might need to inquire in the Samsung thread if you are interested in any of these models.

Not sure what other 60" TV's will give a better pq then these Samsungs.

Thanks for the response!

How does the ES7500 hold up to the Sony X850 in terms of picture quality and black levels? The consensus seems to be that -- for this price range -- the X850 is the clear winner. The problem? It's no bigger than 55"! Argh!
post #9 of 12 Old 05-01-2013, 02:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikejer View Post

Thanks for the response!

How does the ES7500 hold up to the Sony X850 in terms of picture quality and black levels? The consensus seems to be that -- for this price range -- the X850 is the clear winner. The problem? It's no bigger than 55"! Argh!
Don't know on that one. You said you wanted 60-65". Didn't consider any 55 inches in there. Not sure you will be happy going to a 55 once set on something bigger. 20% more screen real estate is a lot to give up.
post #10 of 12 Old 05-01-2013, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eric3316 View Post

Don't know on that one. You said you wanted 60-65". Didn't consider any 55 inches in there. Not sure you will be happy going to a 55 once set on something bigger. 20% more screen real estate is a lot to give up.

Yeah, I brought up the 55" X850 only because it seems to be in that LED sweet spot of good picture quality and reasonable price. But it's out of cycle now, and it's only 55"... which isn't really what I'm looking for. Ideally I don't want to have to settle lower than 60". 60" looks great in my space, and 65" would be perfect.

I don't know... I hope this search doesn't boil down to crappy picture quality vs the PST60's green flickering (RBE) in the sub-$2k (or even $2.5k) range, but if I want a 60"+ it's looking that way.

I really appreciate all the tips people have given me here though. It helps!
post #11 of 12 Old 09-06-2013, 12:48 PM

Liked: 10
I know nothing, and don't claim to either. Just joined and looking to do something with my living room. Unfortunately for me, my tiny starter house was a "model home" and they added an obscenely large gas fireplace that protrudes into my living room, forcing me to put a TV on it. It's also very high, which makes things uncomfortable, and I'm currently using another wall with my older Samsung 46" LCD TV on. I want to get a bigger TV and put it above the fireplace, to gain another wall in my living room for seating. This said, I also want a 60" or 65" LED TV for my home. I had a friend of mine tell me over and over the Sharp Aquos with Quattron was the best TV, but CNET's reviews say otherwise. If I wanted a reasonably priced TV (I also don't care about smart TV b/c I have a LG Blu Ray player) for Xbox play, and watching Blu Ray movies, and sports, is the Sharp mentioned above by Steve S. a good set? I never thought of Sharp as a good brand, until my friend mentioned the Quattron technology only for me to find CNET not liking it. My current 46" Samsung LCD is 120 hz and I like that, anyone want to help me out?
post #12 of 12 Old 09-06-2013, 01:00 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I just purchased the insignia 65" led from best buy last weekend for $1279 including tax and 5 year warranty. The picture wasn't great in the store, but with setting adjustment I am more than happy now. My last 2 TVs were Sony and Samsung. The insignia picture quality is as good as them if not better. I have not seen any blurring, clouding or any other noticeable picture flaws. For the price with Warranty, I don't think you can beat it.
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Panasonic Tc P60st60 60 Inch 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv
Gear in this thread - P60st60 by PriceGrabber.com