Official 2013 Vizio E650i-A2 (65" Full Array) Owners Thread - Page 2 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #31 of 49 Old 10-25-2013, 10:36 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Just picked up this set the other day at Costco, I have a Disney WOW Blu Ray coming today, so in a few days I will be able to post what the settings ended up being.

Just have the old Monster ISF dvd settings for now and is very nice but I think it could get better.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 49 Old 10-25-2013, 05:29 PM

good,Very pleased with this TV's PQ. Not using the internal speakers, but glad I didn't spend more. Great Value!

6.gif

post #33 of 49 Old 10-31-2013, 06:34 AM

I bought this TV from Walmart for $1179 ... my review is mixed... I like the size of the TV, and am satisfied with the built in sound... however the picture quality requires a lot of adjustment to get right, but looks promising (Still working on it though).  The smart TV functions are infuriatingly dumb... most of all is lack of DLNA supported formats it.  The TV crashes every every time i try to access my server.

post #34 of 49 Old 11-02-2013, 05:25 PM

I'm buying this tv tonight at walmart for 1178. I've been watching the pricing for a while. It's replacing a 50" Panasonic plasma TC-P50G10. The panasonic was only 4 yrs old when it died and the only available replacement parts were from panasonic making it a $500 repair. No thanks! I learned from that to make sure to have a long extended warranty and to think twice about panasonic. I mean seriously, the build date was Sept 2009. i'm excited about my new pending purchase.
post #35 of 49 Old 11-06-2013, 09:30 AM

Using the Disney World of Wonder Optimize Blu Ray disc.

Preferred Settings:

(number) = little to no change range

Backlight: 21 (20 to 40)

Contrast: 47 (46 to 48)

Brightness: 50 (49 to 51)

Sharpness: 8 (6 to 10)

Color: 51 (50 to 52

Tint: +1 (0 to +2,using blue filter)

Color Temperature – Custom (All @ 50)

Advanced Settings (All Off, chasing your tail otherwise)

Noise Reduction – Off

MPEG NR – Off

Color Enhancement – Off

Adaptive Luma – Off

Film Mode – Off

Ambient Light Sensor – Off

Backlight = OPC DRC

As you can see most adjustments need to be within just a few to be correct. And sets can vary enough that your optimal setting could be a few off of the above.

The moral of this story is if you want the most out off your HDTV you need to spend the $17 or so for a calibration disc to get the most out of the set.

Out of the box factory settings the Picture Quailty is a 6 out of 10, with a (Disney WOW) calibration disc it is a 9 out of 10.
post #36 of 49 Old 11-15-2013, 10:07 AM

Changed Backlight setting from OPC (Optimal Power Control) To DCR (Dynamic Contrast Ratio)

The OPC setting had a slight change in brightness level from some scenes to other scenes that was undesirable.
post #37 of 49 Old 01-09-2014, 01:53 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Just chiming in - I just picked up this TV from CostCo to replace my older Mitsubishi HDTV that died and I love it. Thanks all for the settings to tune the picture - it definitely helped.

Given the low price of this TV, I wouldn't be surprised to see more people pick this model up.
post #38 of 49 Old 01-12-2014, 07:15 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Alright well, first problem smile.gif

I'm trying to turn off the TV's speakers when watching OTA signals as I send the audio to my receiver via the optical cable. however the TV never remembers the 'speakers off' setting. Every time I turn the TV back on, that setting resets to 'on.' As far as I can tell so far, it's the only setting that doesn't save. Any tips or tricks or thoughts on how to prevent this from happening?

Thanks!

EDIT: And I just got an answer from Vizio support. I had to turn the CEC setting to 'off'. Doing that allowed the TV to keep the internal speakers off. Just FYI for anyone else who runs into this problem!
post #39 of 49 Old 01-19-2014, 12:27 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Here's a picture - dark room, no video, input set to HDMI-1.

I've read all the reviews on Amazon - there's a couple people saying the backlighting is very consistant; there's two or three that say it's not. Maybe it's a quality control issue.

I haven't had time to play with the setiings other than to do what others have posted here and elsewhere; turn the advanced settings off, mode to vivid, etc.

I'll play with it a bit more this week. If I can't get this adjusted out, I'll take it back and try another one.
post #40 of 49 Old 01-19-2014, 08:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 28
Just came from a friend's house who had bought this set at Costco a couple months ago for $1200 and has it mounted on their living room wall, Saw a lot of Denver vs New England and Seattle vs San Francisco on it and this right after buying anew E series 40" backlit model with its limited 5 local dimming areas this past week also at Costco. The set looked very nice, certainly at $1200 for a 65 inches.
post #41 of 49 Old 02-21-2014, 08:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Hi all

Saw this at my local Costco this past weekend. The price makes it very tempting (will replace my 10 yr old projection TV).

Has the firmware issues been fixed in this model? I prefer buying from Costco mainly to get the 'free' 2 yr warranty included with the set.

Due to lack of activity on this thread, I'm taking that as a good sign as owners are enjoying the set smile.gif.

"There are 1 0 kinds of people in this world...one that can read binary while the other that can't!!"
XBL Tag: TacoKommando
My small HT setup:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/27565515@N04/

post #42 of 49 Old 03-04-2014, 05:25 PM

We're really happy with ours. No complaints at all.

Check here later for a thoughtful, funny, profound .sig line.
post #43 of 49 Old 03-13-2014, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayw View Post

We're really happy with ours. No complaints at all.

I concur, once adjusted to the correct calibration, very satisfied and would recommend.
post #44 of 49 Old 03-28-2014, 06:24 AM

Definitely a good set once it's calibrated properly (which is a little tricky). The splotchy backlighting is evident when the set is first turned on and there's no video playing, but if you play a video that has a dark background (such a end credits or a dark night time scene) then it goes away (at least on my set).
post #45 of 49 Old 04-07-2014, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by usmcnyc View Post

Definitely a good set once it's calibrated properly (which is a little tricky). The splotchy backlighting is evident when the set is first turned on and there's no video playing, but if you play a video that has a dark background (such a end credits or a dark night time scene) then it goes away (at least on my set).

Same here, the backlighting concern all but goes away once content is displayed. I have had it over 5 months now and the set is a very good value for the price. Many, myself included did not have the need for 3D, so this set fits very well.
post #46 of 49 Old 04-28-2014, 08:59 PM

I just got a new firmware update today!  It seems a little bit more responsive. 

post #47 of 49 Old 04-30-2014, 05:31 PM

Anyone know if this (or any Vizio) passes 5.1 sound from the Amazon Instant app via TOSLINK (Optical) or do you have to use ARC? I have tried Optical and only get stereo sound from Amazon titles that are marked 5.1. Thanks!

JayW

Check here later for a thoughtful, funny, profound .sig line.
post #48 of 49 Old 06-04-2014, 03:26 PM

Bought this TV a few weeks ago from Wal-Mart. I'm still trying to get it calibrated. The TV's biggest issue is the native 60hz refresh rate. I've got 4 other Vizio TV's from 37" to 55" (all several years old) and this one blurs the worst, even with smooth motion effect turned on High (I hate the soap opera effect).
post #49 of 49 Old 07-07-2014, 01:36 PM

Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by rombot View Post
Here's a picture - dark room, no video, input set to HDMI-1.

I've read all the reviews on Amazon - there's a couple people saying the backlighting is very consistant; there's two or three that say it's not. Maybe it's a quality control issue.

I haven't had time to play with the setiings other than to do what others have posted here and elsewhere; turn the advanced settings off, mode to vivid, etc.

I'll play with it a bit more this week. If I can't get this adjusted out, I'll take it back and try another one.
Was the new one any better? I'm having a similar issue with the dark black screen. See my crappy picture below.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0693.jpg (200.3 KB, 7 views)

Last edited by wryhaddock; 07-07-2014 at 02:53 PM.
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Vizio E Series E650i A2 65 Inch 1080p 120hz Smart Hdtv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page