Official Samsung UNXXF7100 Owners Thread - Page 10 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #271 of 5222 Old 05-25-2013, 08:18 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Well it's Movie mode for me from now on. I have to say, when viewing the Tv's Browser with PIP on that was being viewed in movie mode, the color palette of the web page is a perfect match to my hi-def monitor I have for my PC. I have always seen a pinkish tinge in the grays like in the boxes "Post a Reply" or "Start a New Thread" at the top of the page but when starting the Smart Hub in Movie mode, the colors are very accurate out of the box and better with minor tweaks. You have to have PIP turned on to actually view the Browser in Movie Mode or the Defalt will be Standard. As far as using Movie Mode, I still avoide the yellowish hue of Warm2 by using Standard Color Temp but that is a personel prefrence of mine. Movie Mode on this TV compared to the ES 7100 series is just much better to my eyes. For the first time since my D-6000, I'm viewing cable and blu-ray in Movie Mode instead of Standard and the Colors are GREAT in every way with just as much POP as Standard always had! biggrin.gif
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #272 of 5222 Old 05-25-2013, 09:20 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Hi all,

Just placed an order for the 55f7100. I'm coming from a 46UND7000 which had flashlighting and screen uniformity issues. Hoping the F7100 is the beast it seems to be.

How do I check to see which panel I get? Do I have to remove the back or something? Would appreciate some tips/pics!
post #273 of 5222 Old 05-25-2013, 10:36 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Has anyone found a way to use smart hub with their receiver? If the TV would pass 5.1 audio broadcast through optical or not switch my vsx52 to the TV input when using hdmi-cec this would be a done deal!

Sharp Elite Pro 60

Pioneer Elite VSX-52 Receiver

Pioneer Elite  BDP-62FD BluRay

post #274 of 5222 Old 05-25-2013, 10:36 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmisterio View Post

Hi all,

Just placed an order for the 55f7100. I'm coming from a 46UND7000 which had flashlighting and screen uniformity issues. Hoping the F7100 is the beast it seems to be.

How do I check to see which panel I get? Do I have to remove the back or something? Would appreciate some tips/pics!
Its on a sticker on the back.

Sharp Elite Pro 60

post #275 of 5222 Old 05-26-2013, 12:24 AM

Liked: 11
Also, I believe the 'version' is on a sticker on both ends of the box.
post #276 of 5222 Old 05-26-2013, 04:13 AM

Liked: 25
My UN60F7100 arrived yesterday. Spent the good part of the day hooking it up to my new Yamaha RX-V673 receiver, along with my Apple TV, Blue-Ray and DVR. I ran out of optical inputs on the receiver, so I used only an HDMI cable with ACR for connecting the TV with the reciver. In that case, the HDMI cable can provide audio back to the receiver's HDMI output. As I began to try out the Smart Hub apps, such as Pandora, I was disappointed to find that the receiver was receiving only a PCM signal and not Dolby Digital. However, then I used the Netflix app. Most shows, even Glee, were PCM. But some movies, such as The King's Speech, had a Dolby symbol on the info page when you select that movie. And, amazingly, the receiver shows that, in fact, it is receiving the Dolby Digital signal via the the HDMI cable with no optical cable required.

Thus, to answer the question previous posters have asked, yes the TV apps will pass along Dolby Digital via ACR HDMI if the original material is so encoded. If not, you get PCM. Still a decent sound, by the way.

This is my first post on the AVS forum in many years and it is good to be back. A generous thanks to all those who have posted since the TV came out and have provided so much useful information.
post #277 of 5222 Old 05-26-2013, 08:39 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Liked: 111
Wow, the Touch Remote batteries are drained already.

I read that this could happen in another thread, but its still unexpected...

Looks like the Remote's Bluetooth uses a lot of power.

Maybe its because I retired the DirecTV remote (and traditional remote).

The 3D Glasses are kind-of flimsy, so I suggest using the Samsung SSG-3750CR 3D Rechargeable glasses.

They charge quickly, last longer and fit better.

http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-Electronics-SSG-3750CR-Rechargeable-Glasses/dp/B00BMMPPCS
post #278 of 5222 Old 05-26-2013, 08:51 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgh26 View Post

As far as using Movie Mode, I still avoide the yellowish hue of Warm2 by using Standard Color Temp but that is a personel prefrence of mine. Movie Mode on this TV compared to the ES 7100 series is just much better to my eyes. For the first time since my D-6000, I'm viewing cable and blu-ray in Movie Mode instead of Standard and the Colors are GREAT in every way with just as much POP as Standard always had! biggrin.gif

I only use Standard picture Mode for Xbox360, due to Game Mode's default (with Warm 2).

I always liked Movie Mode best, but with Warm1- the F7100 picture is so awesome I switched to Warm2 and it still has "Pop".

I now prefer the accurate whites and when I switch to Dynamic with Standard Color Temp. it looks surreal.

I believe that accurate color, realistic color saturation, lower sharpness and reference color temperature takes a little time to adapt to.

When a viewer begins to expect that picture at home, like they expect/accept at the local cinema its all "clicks".
post #279 of 5222 Old 05-26-2013, 08:56 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by emileg View Post

This is my first post on the AVS forum in many years and it is good to be back. A generous thanks to all those who have posted since the TV came out and have provided so much useful information.

+1, I learned from AVS for years and now its all about sharing that knowledge and giving back.
post #280 of 5222 Old 05-26-2013, 09:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 89
Quote:

Well it's Movie mode for me from now on. I have to say, when viewing the Tv's Browser with PIP on that was being viewed in movie mode, the color palette of the web page is a perfect match to my hi-def monitor I have for my PC. I have always seen a pinkish tinge in the grays like in the boxes "Post a Reply" or "Start a New Thread" at the top of the page but when starting the Smart Hub in Movie mode, the colors are very accurate out of the box and better with minor tweaks. You have to have PIP turned on to actually view the Browser in Movie Mode or the Defalt will be Standard. As far as using Movie Mode, I still avoide the yellowish hue of Warm2 by using Standard Color Temp but that is a personel prefrence of mine. Movie Mode on this TV compared to the ES 7100 series is just much better to my eyes. For the first time since my D-6000, I'm viewing cable and blu-ray in Movie Mode instead of Standard and the Colors are GREAT in every way with just as much POP as Standard always had! biggrin.gif
Do your cable channels appear sharper on the F7100 than the ES7100? Images on the ES appear soft and not very sharp for local channels. Does the video processing appear to be better on the F series?
post #281 of 5222 Old 05-26-2013, 09:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Also Sunday sales papers indicate decent price on this model this week, so may go check it out in the store.
post #282 of 5222 Old 05-26-2013, 10:49 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by tylerSC View Post

Also Sunday sales papers indicate decent price on this model this week, so may go check it out in the store.

Yep best buy just reduced by another 200 bucks from what I bought at on Thursday. Great value now at 1599

Xbox Live- bucknuts07

PSN-bucknuts07

post #283 of 5222 Old 05-26-2013, 10:51 AM

Liked: 50
Quote:

Do your cable channels appear sharper on the F7100 than the EH7100? Images on the EH appear soft and not very sharp for local channels. Does the video processing appear to be better on the F series?
Since there is NO EH-7100 I assume yor are reffering to the ES-7100. The F7100 has better video processing when watching cable over the ES series. The over-all picture is less grainy and is very sharp to the eye. The ES-7100 does have a sharp image espically with blu-ray but it does appear that this F series may have a better processing Engine as I never use the noise filters and DO NOT see anywhere near the background noise I noticed when watching my COX Cable box with sharpness set to 20 on both models. The best part of the F-7100 improvements are the lack of clouding and probably the best screen uniformity that has been produced in a Edge Lit LED TV mabye as good as the best LCD TV's for quite a few years now. Not perfect due to a small amount of flashlighting in the corners but with the latest firmware, Cinema Black takes care of that for all 2D viewing. I do hope they add the feature to 3D since it does appear that flashlighting shows up more so then when viewing 2D. There are still some of the F Series TV's that are being returned due to hardware issues mostly related to flawed panels so Samsung really really does need to step it's quality control up as well as some panels getting stress damaged (seems to induce clouding) as some have reported due to poor shipping practices. I believe the latest release builds are less likely to have the flaws of the first one's sold as stated on the european 8000 forum. If true, it appears that Samsung has begun to step up it's quality control/manufacturing practices which would be a really good thing for everyone!
post #284 of 5222 Old 05-26-2013, 10:52 AM

Liked: 10
Quote:

I just saw the 55 inch is $1600 as opposed to the usual $1800 so I think im going to get it in a few minutes. I keep seeing this is an awesome tv for gaming and that is the main reason for wanting to upgrade my tv.
post #285 of 5222 Old 05-26-2013, 11:06 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

My UN60F7100 arrived yesterday. Spent the good part of the day hooking it up to my new Yamaha RX-V673 receiver, along with my Apple TV, Blue-Ray and DVR. I ran out of optical inputs on the receiver, so I used only an HDMI cable with ACR for connecting the TV with the reciver. In that case, the HDMI cable can provide audio back to the receiver's HDMI output. As I began to try out the Smart Hub apps, such as Pandora, I was disappointed to find that the receiver was receiving only a PCM signal and not Dolby Digital. However, then I used the Netflix app. Most shows, even Glee, were PCM. But some movies, such as The King's Speech, had a Dolby symbol on the info page when you select that movie. And, amazingly, the receiver shows that, in fact, it is receiving the Dolby Digital signal via the the HDMI cable with no optical cable required.

Thus, to answer the question previous posters have asked, yes the TV apps will pass along Dolby Digital via ACR HDMI if the original material is so encoded. If not, you get PCM. Still a decent sound, by the way.

Due you have HDMI CEC enabled? In my case when I use a smart hub the TV would switch my receiver to the TV input which isn't a problem. The problem is that when I first turn on everything (using harmony 900) after 5-10 seconds the TV switches the receiver to the TV input even with smart hub disabled during start up. This leads to a black screen as the TV input has no video (smart hub only). I have to manually switch the receiver back to my direct tv HDMI input. Hope that makes sense.

Sharp Elite Pro 60

post #286 of 5222 Old 05-26-2013, 11:11 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Do your cable channels appear sharper on the F7100 than the ES7100? Images on the ES appear soft and not very sharp for local channels. Does the video processing appear to be better on the F series?

I also had the ES7100 and F7100- definitely better video processing.

MGMHD used to have large grey artifacts via. DirecTV on the ES, none are on the F.

Quote:

The F7100 has better video processing when watching cable over the ES series. The over-all picture is less grainy and is very sharp to the eye. The ES7100 does have a sharp image especially with blu-ray but it does appear that this F series may have a better processing Engine as I never use the noise filters and DO NOT see anywhere near the background noise I noticed when watching my COX Cable box with sharpness set to 20 on both models. The best part of the F-7100 improvements are the lack of clouding and probably the best screen uniformity that has been produced in a Edge Lit LED TV maybe as good as the best LCD TV's for quite a few years now. Not perfect due to a small amount of flashlighting in the corners but with the latest firmware, Cinema Black takes care of that for all 2D viewing.

+1, Better and more solid HD and SD picture.

I was spoiled with the Samsung A850- it had outstanding picture quality (no banding), yet had clouding (without energy savings auto) and lighter black levels.

The F7100 has better black levels, no clouding, minimum flashlighting, really accurate colors and no artifacts.

The ES7100 had a great picture except for the banding (in 3D), clouding with the center 'V', dead pixels, picture noise/grain and random artifacts.
post #287 of 5222 Old 05-26-2013, 12:05 PM

I never *ever* buy extended warranties, but on the other hand, I've never paid anywhere near this much for a TV before.

Is an extended warranty worth it in this case?
post #288 of 5222 Old 05-26-2013, 12:25 PM

Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaronoff View Post

I never *ever* buy extended warranties, but on the other hand, I've never paid anywhere near this much for a TV before.

No, you have 30 days to return it to the store and a year under manufacturers warranty. If you buy a lemon it's most likely something you're going to notice in the first year.

Gamertag: Elder Sasquatch
post #289 of 5222 Old 05-26-2013, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaronoff View Post

I just bought this tv literally 10 minutes ago and I got a 2 year warranty on it just to be safe. I usually never get a warranty on anything but when she said it covers everything but physical damage I got it.
post #290 of 5222 Old 05-26-2013, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by XBRSteve View Post

Due you have HDMI CEC enabled? In my case when I use a smart hub the TV would switch my receiver to the TV input which isn't a problem. The problem is that when I first turn on everything (using harmony 900) after 5-10 seconds the TV switches the receiver to the TV input even with smart hub disabled during start up. This leads to a black screen as the TV input has no video (smart hub only). I have to manually switch the receiver back to my direct tv HDMI input. Hope that makes sense.
Yes, HDMI CEC seems to be enabled, though I don't know what "CEC" means. What are the benefits and disadvantages of having CEC enabled?
post #291 of 5222 Old 05-26-2013, 02:26 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Yes, HDMI CEC seems to be enabled, though I don't know what "CEC" means. What are the benefits and disadvantages of having CEC enabled?
It allows the TV to control other devices through HDMI.

Sharp Elite Pro 60

post #292 of 5222 Old 05-26-2013, 06:30 PM

Quote:

It allows the TV to control other devices through HDMI.
Thank you for explaining CEC. I noticed that the receiver turns on and off with the TV. In fact, if I turn off the TV with the DVR remote, the receiver turns off as well. Now if I can only get my new Yamaha RX-V673 from acting up, I'll be very happy. There are 64 pages on that AVS Forum thread for me to catch up on.
post #293 of 5222 Old 05-26-2013, 11:12 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Thank you for explaining CEC. I noticed that the receiver turns on and off with the TV. In fact, if I turn off the TV with the DVR remote, the receiver turns off as well. Now if I can only get my new Yamaha RX-V673 from acting up, I'll be very happy. There are 64 pages on that AVS Forum thread for me to catch up on.
What is your Yamaha doing?

Sharp Elite Pro 60

post #294 of 5222 Old 05-27-2013, 04:17 AM

Quote:

What is your Yamaha doing?
When I use the TV or DVR remote to turn on the TV, my Yamaha RX-V673 receiver turns on as well. So far so good. However, after about 30 seconds, the receiver spontaneously shifts audio inputs to input 4 resulting in no sound. When I press HDMI input on the remote, the TV sound returns. Sometimes, after switching video inputs back to DVR after using the ARC from Smart Hub, the picture and sound are gone, replaced by total snow. The only remedy is to turn the receiver on and off again. To be fair, I have not had the chance to upgrade the firmware, nor have I read the 64 or more pages of the AVS Forum thread on this unit. I am starting now to read about the almost 2000 posts.

I bought the receiver to replace my 8 year old JVC. With just one cable going to the TV, I figured I could reduce the amount of spaghetti behind the set. However, I think I may have introduced several extra layers of complexity, especially for my wife. At least I was able to get the TV and receiver to turn on with the DVR remote as well as go straight to the DVR feed bypassing the Smart Hub. Now, if I can only get the audio to stay in place, I think she'll be fine.

Incidentally, the 673 was replaced by the 675 that only has one new and unlikely to be used feature. My local BB had one new 673 left that I was able to get for $356 instead of paying $599 for a new 675.

Thanks for your interest and listening to my rant.
post #295 of 5222 Old 05-27-2013, 06:14 AM

Liked: 27
My RX-v671 does the same with a Samsung UN55D8000. I generally keep CEC. on and just change back to HDMI a few moments after power up. The Blu-Ray reverting to tuner instead of HDMI and then powering back on every time you switch Imputs is far more frustrating.
I don't know if you'll ever get it to work exactly right. Good Luck
post #296 of 5222 Old 05-27-2013, 08:37 AM
dfp
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 18
I don't think there's anything wrong with any of your devices. HDMI-CEC (Anynet on Samsung) has been changing inputs at will for over five years. In the olden days, before ARC and SMART apps, we would simply turn it off in all devices and get a Harmony remote to be able to get away with only one remote. Hopefully someone can figure out how to get these features to work as advertised and let everyone know.
post #297 of 5222 Old 05-27-2013, 10:11 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfp View Post

I don't think there's anything wrong with any of your devices. HDMI-CEC (Anynet on Samsung) has been changing inputs at will for over five years. In the olden days, before ARC and SMART apps, we would simply turn it off in all devices and get a Harmony remote to be able to get away with only one remote. Hopefully someone can figure out how to get these features to work as advertised and let everyone know.
I guess I could add a smart hub activity to my harmony then use an optical cable. Why does Samsung do the input switch! Makes no sense to do it on power up.

Sharp Elite Pro 60

post #298 of 5222 Old 05-27-2013, 10:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Corrected my post. Was referring to the pic quality of the ES7100 compared to the F7100. Good to hear the F series has improved. But have decided to sell my 55ES7100 if I can locally. No perceived issues or problems, but after a month of owning this TV, it just reinforced my preference for plasma. Nice TV if you favor LED, but for me, the ST60 or F8500 plasmas seem to be the better choices. Even the S60 or F5300 look good if you can control glare. Although I was offered a 55FH6030 for $890, slightly under the current BB price. And for some reason, I do prefer these direct lit versions over the more expensive edge lit models.
post #299 of 5222 Old 05-27-2013, 01:25 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Hello all!
Its time to upgrade my TV here... in 2005 I got a Panasonic TH-50px50u, and then in 2009 I replaced it with a Panasonic TC-P50G10. While the plasma's were nice, i never got that amazing "wow" picture from them. Maybe it is personal taste, but the pictures never seemed sharp, never seemed amazing.. My source material is mixed, but mostly Comcast cable and OTA via my Tivo Premier, and some Xbox 360 gaming. We mainly watch sports (hockey, football, baseball) and your average run of the mill television shows.

I'm debating between the UN55F7050 (BJs version of the 7100), the 6400 and 6300

Any thoughts ideas on either? My major likes are crisp clean picture, and I do like a wider field of vision as we have seating that is dead on straight to about 45 degrees off center. Thickness of the unit is a non-issue as it will be inset into our entertainment unit. Smart TV apps do nothing for me, but looks like that is a non issue, try finding a good tv w/out that crap.

I can't remember which unit is direct lit or edge lit... i'll take PQ over either technology.

Thanks!
post #300 of 5222 Old 05-27-2013, 01:30 PM

Just mounted the 60" on the wall last night and watched a bit of The Avengers in 3D and it is pretty awesome. I've never really had a TV this nice or advanced before and don't even know where to start with calibration. Any advice?
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Samsung Un60f7100 60 Inch 3d Ultra Slim Smart Led Hdtv , Samsung Un46f8000 46 Inch 3d Ultra Slim Smart Led Hdtv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page