Official Samsung UNXXF7100 Owners Thread - Page 103 - AVS Forum
First ... 101  102  103 104  105  ... Last
LCD Flat Panel Displays > Official Samsung UNXXF7100 Owners Thread
jcphcf73's Avatar jcphcf73 07:51 PM 11-11-2013
I've enjoyed reading everyone's posts and I'm finally close to pulling the trigger on this TV purchase. It seems that the majority of posts are regarding TVs 65" or smaller. Can anyone attest to the performance of the 75" model? I know that it drops the Cinema Black feature so the only real upgrade from the 75f6400 is the native 240hz.

Is this worth the extra $1000 over the f6400?


Any insight would be greatly appreciated! smile.gif

AMW22's Avatar AMW22 08:22 PM 11-11-2013

Thanks David for your feedback. Glad to hear your are happy with your 65" F7100.  Hopefully there will one more price drop between now and Superbowl Sunday :)


upstate-avfan-da's Avatar upstate-avfan-da 10:13 AM 11-12-2013
So I got my best but bf preview ad email..... UN65F7100 is crying out to me :-)

I have a UN55D8000. I really want to step up to 65" but wondering if this will be enough upgrade to warrant the $?

Anyone in here go from D8000 to F7100? Or is it moot since D to F line has had enough upgrade so my D8000 is sub par to the F7100?

I would love the F8000 but almost an extra grand! Ack

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk
jcphcf73's Avatar jcphcf73 10:47 AM 11-12-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcphcf73 View Post

I've enjoyed reading everyone's posts and I'm finally close to pulling the trigger on this TV purchase. It seems that the majority of posts are regarding TVs 65" or smaller. Can anyone attest to the performance of the 75" model? I know that it drops the Cinema Black feature so the only real upgrade from the 75f6400 is the native 240hz.

Is this worth the extra $1000 over the f6400?


Any insight would be greatly appreciated! smile.gif


No one has a 75" f7100? I was hoping for some feedback since the reviews of this size are tough to come by.

Thanks again in advance.
ChrisSD's Avatar ChrisSD 01:28 PM 11-12-2013
I have the 75 inch and with one exception, the picture is great. 3D is great, colors are great, black level is great. The only problem is the clouding and flashlighting when the screen is black or mostly black. I often watch in a pitch dark room though and it wouldn't be a problem if your watching in a lit room. The flashlighting really doesn't bother me either, its just the clouding that is distracting. Its seems though that this is a very common problem for any TV of this size, regardless of brand. I actually have a tech coming out this Friday. Will update after appointment.
jcphcf73's Avatar jcphcf73 02:45 PM 11-12-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisSD View Post

I have the 75 inch and with one exception, the picture is great. 3D is great, colors are great, black level is great. The only problem is the clouding and flashlighting when the screen is black or mostly black. I often watch in a pitch dark room though and it wouldn't be a problem if your watching in a lit room. The flashlighting really doesn't bother me either, its just the clouding that is distracting. Its seems though that this is a very common problem for any TV of this size, regardless of brand. I actually have a tech coming out this Friday. Will update after appointment.

Thanks for the input! How long ago did you get the TV?
cannondale0815's Avatar cannondale0815 03:02 PM 11-12-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgh26 View Post

Why not a wireless Keyboard and a Wireless Mouse. I know it's NOT Virtual but it does do the trick for me. Right click the Mouse while watching TV anyware on the screen and a Menu Pops up that lets you select one of four choice's with a simple Left click of the Mouse.
1. Launch the Smart Hub.
2. Turn OFF the TV..
3. Go into Tools..
4. Select the Main Menu screen.

I always use my wireless Keyboard to type everything needed while using the TV Web Browser..

One last thing. You don't need to spend a lot of $ and buy the Samsung keyboard. A very cheap Logitech USB Wireless Keyboard works OK. I also use a very cheap Wireless USB Microsoft Mouse which also works good!

Just an idea for you anyways.........................

Took me a while to respond, but you are absolutely right! Any wireless mouse/keyboard combo works apparently. I tried the Lenovo handheld mouse/keyboard remote thingy that often sells for around $35, and it works great!!!

Thanks for the tip!

-J
cannondale0815's Avatar cannondale0815 03:07 PM 11-12-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjl290 View Post

I think many people would be suprized how many manufacturers use parts from other company's when they produce a product.the TV that replaced my current Samsung was a sumsung 6187s the DLP chip was made by Mitsubishi.i have a onkyo 606 avr the HDMI board is blown out the Diods that blew out are made by Mitsubishi.Samsung products are made to Samsung spec that's what matters

I thought all DLP chips are from Texas Instruments.
cannondale0815's Avatar cannondale0815 03:09 PM 11-12-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainmohawk View Post

Anyone have any ideas for my problem?

Black screen for a second or two and then it returns with the info bar at the top of the screen as though I changed input. Audio plays.

Setup; 360, ps3, wii u, directv->marginmart hdmi switch->ht f5500w reciever-> tv.

Here's the link to my switcher: http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B001VNHPPS/ref=ya_aw_oh_pit

Might be a bad HDMI cable. Try a different one, maybe even from a different manufacturer (i.e. not same batch).
mgh26's Avatar mgh26 04:41 PM 11-12-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcphcf73 View Post

I've enjoyed reading everyone's posts and I'm finally close to pulling the trigger on this TV purchase. It seems that the majority of posts are regarding TVs 65" or smaller. Can anyone attest to the performance of the 75" model? I know that it drops the Cinema Black feature so the only real upgrade from the 75f6400 is the native 240hz.

Is this worth the extra $1000 over the f6400?


Any insight would be greatly appreciated! smile.gif
One other Key Feature that the UN75F7100 has that the 75F6400 doesn't is the Ultra-Clear Panel type. It gives you higher contrast & other benefits as well. Also because of the Native 240Hz Panel instead of the Native 120HZ 6400 Panel, The motion would surely be improved (as long as the source material is high quality). I don't think it would be a huge difference in that regard though.
jjl290's Avatar jjl290 04:55 PM 11-12-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by cannondale0815 View Post

I thought all DLP chips are from Texas Instruments.
I was told Mitsubishi
jjl290's Avatar jjl290 04:57 PM 11-12-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjl290 View Post

I was told Mitsubishi
you could be right though who knows
cannondale0815's Avatar cannondale0815 04:58 PM 11-12-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjl290 View Post

I was told Mitsubishi

Doubt it. Mitsubishi was (or maybe is?) one of the last makers of rear projection TVs, but the actual DLP chips that drive them are from TI:

http://www.dlp.com/technology/dlp-history/default.aspx
mrgud79's Avatar mrgud79 05:11 PM 11-12-2013
jcphcf73's Avatar jcphcf73 05:19 PM 11-12-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgh26 View Post

One other Key Feature that the UN75F7100 has that the 75F6400 doesn't is the Ultra-Clear Panel type. It gives you higher contrast & other benefits as well. Also because of the Native 240Hz Panel instead of the Native 120HZ 6400 Panel, The motion would surely be improved (as long as the source material is high quality). I don't think it would be a huge difference in that regard though.


I didn't realize that about the panel type difference. Thanks!
PiratesCove's Avatar PiratesCove 07:04 PM 11-12-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrgud79 View Post

CNET's review of Samsung F7100 series is out!

http://reviews.cnet.com/flat-panel-tvs/samsung-un55f7100/4505-6482_7-35643438.html

That review and video are very contradictory done by Ty Pendlebury.

He states the black level has no tint and great shadow detail and are a 25% improvement over the F6300 and F6400.

Then he says the blacks are "grey" but measures Black luminance (0%) at 0.008 which is labeled "Good".

His settings show the little time spent on calibrating the F7100:

http://forums.cnet.com/7723-19410_102-605389/samsung-f7100-picture-settings/

Red is 2 clicks from default, Green-default, Blue got 6 clicks, Yellow-default, Cyan-default and Magenta got 4 clicks.

The 10pt white balance got ignored and the White Balance Gains? default and Offset? 1 click each?

Contrast-default, Brightness-default, Sharpness-default, Color-default.....

A calibration without settings changed...rolleyes.gif

He also states he opted not to use the microdimming feature- despite the fact that there is not way to control this.

Bad, rush job review- too bad David Katzmaier didn't handle this one.

CNET dropped the ball, had a few turn-overs and threw some interceptions on this one.

My review of their review: 1/5 Stars.
david3772's Avatar david3772 07:39 PM 11-12-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrgud79 View Post

CNET's review of Samsung F7100 series is out!

http://reviews.cnet.com/flat-panel-tvs/samsung-un55f7100/4505-6482_7-35643438.html

Well, the review is interesting. Cnet doesn't like the 7100 as much as I do. Maybe PiratesCove is right with his questions regarding cnet's apparent lack of calibration.

The review claims the Sony W900 and the Vizio M-series have a better picture. The Sony is smaller than we wanted but we looked at the Vizio in several stores, and never encountered one that had a picture anywhere near as sharp as the F7100. Maybe it's me, but I don't think so.
mrgud79's Avatar mrgud79 07:53 PM 11-12-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by PiratesCove View Post

That review and video are very contradictory done by Ty Pendlebury.

He states the black level has no tint and great shadow detail and are a 25% improvement over the F6300 and F6400.

Then he says the blacks are "grey" but measures Black luminance (0%) at 0.008 which is labeled "Good".

His settings show the little time spent on calibrating the F7100:

http://forums.cnet.com/7723-19410_102-605389/samsung-f7100-picture-settings/

Red is 2 clicks from default, Green-default, Blue got 6 clicks, Yellow-default, Cyan-default and Magenta got 4 clicks.

The 10pt white balance got ignored and the White Balance Gains? default and Offset? 1 click each?

Contrast-default, Brightness-default, Sharpness-default, Color-default.....

A calibration without settings changed...rolleyes.gif

He also states he opted not to use the microdimming feature- despite the fact that there is not way to control this.

Bad, rush job review- too bad David Katzmaier didn't handle this one.

CNET dropped the ball, had a few turn-overs and threw some interceptions on this one.

My review of their review: 1/5 Stars.

I have to agree with everything you said! 0.008 is not good, it's pretty damn amazing for a LED TV without "local dimming!" Ty contradicted himself with everything he wrote and said in the video!!!

Having owned 65'F8000 for three weeks, and now having a 75"F7100 right now, i can honestly say that F8000 is only a lil bit sharper vs F7100...and much more lagging especially while in "game mode"! Black levels are also 100% identical to naked eye.

I really laughed out loud, when he said that that the "tv's black luminance levels were grey," but then it scores good "Black luminance level of 0.008" But this is where he lost all of his credibility, and i quote Ty...

" On the most testing scene from the very dark "Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 2," you see an army amassing on a hill top. On the F7100 you can barely make out what the TV is trying to show you, compared to the superior low-level performance of the F8000 or Panasonic ST60, which showed the entirety of the scene, including the hilltop and the faces framed with black darkness, and not gray as on the Samsung."

But then he says this>>>

"While the black levels weren't very deep on the F7100, its shadow detail was pretty good" Get it? How can he say that black levels were gray, and then it scores a Black luminance level of 0.008???

Ty, please from now on let David Katzmaier do the reviews!
jcphcf73's Avatar jcphcf73 08:12 PM 11-12-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrgud79 View Post

I have to agree with everything you said! 0.008 is not good, it's pretty damn amazing for a LED TV without "local dimming!" Ty contradicted himself with everything he wrote and said in the video!!!

Having owned 65'F8000 for three weeks, and now having a 75"F7100 right now, i can honestly say that F8000 is only a lil bit sharper vs F7100...and much more lagging especially while in "game mode"! Black levels are also 100% identical to naked eye.

I really laughed out loud, when he said that that the "tv's black luminance levels were grey," but then it scores good "Black luminance level of 0.008" But this is where he lost all of his credibility, and i quote Ty...

" On the most testing scene from the very dark "Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 2," you see an army amassing on a hill top. On the F7100 you can barely make out what the TV is trying to show you, compared to the superior low-level performance of the F8000 or Panasonic ST60, which showed the entirety of the scene, including the hilltop and the faces framed with black darkness, and not gray as on the Samsung."

But then he says this>>>

"While the black levels weren't very deep on the F7100, its shadow detail was pretty good" Get it? How can he say that black levels were gray, and then it scores a Black luminance level of 0.008???

Ty, please from now on let David Katzmaier do the reviews!


mrgud79,

You wouldn't happen to have that Harry Potter he's referencing would you? I'm curious how the mentioned scene appears on a better calibrated TV.
mrgud79's Avatar mrgud79 08:16 PM 11-12-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcphcf73 View Post

mrgud79,

You wouldn't happen to have that Harry Potter he's referencing would you? I'm curious how the mentioned scene appears on a better calibrated TV.

Oh i sure do smile.gif do you know at what time that particular scene starts? Let me know, and i will take a pic right away, and post it here...
mountainmohawk's Avatar mountainmohawk 10:36 PM 11-12-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by cannondale0815 View Post

Might be a bad HDMI cable. Try a different one, maybe even from a different manufacturer (i.e. not same batch).

I'll try and test this if I get a chance. Could it really be the cables though? The picture cuts out for just a second but the audio plays even when the picture is gone. Shouldn't both the audio and video go out?
ChrisSD's Avatar ChrisSD 11:08 PM 11-12-2013
I've had it since the beginning of August.
jcphcf73's Avatar jcphcf73 12:12 AM 11-13-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrgud79 View Post

Oh i sure do smile.gif do you know at what time that particular scene starts? Let me know, and i will take a pic right away, and post it here...

Coincidentally, I placed an order for the Blu-ray box set two days ago. I will do my best to find the scene before I get my hands on it.
jjl290's Avatar jjl290 05:27 AM 11-13-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by cannondale0815 View Post

Doubt it. Mitsubishi was (or maybe is?) one of the last makers of rear projection TVs, but the actual DLP chips that drive them are from TI:

http://www.dlp.com/technology/dlp-history/default.aspx
my point was to explain to people that manufacturers will often use parts from different companies.
jjl290's Avatar jjl290 10:29 AM 11-13-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrgud79 View Post

CNET's review of Samsung F7100 series is out!

http://reviews.cnet.com/flat-panel-tvs/samsung-un55f7100/4505-6482_7-35643438.html
review from cnet is a joke.I did a lot of research when I bought this TV.the picture on my samsung blows away my other two Samsungs.the best picture I have ever seen on a tv.with the right material on the screen the picture is stunning.I couldn't imagine it being any better.
oreb's Avatar oreb 03:08 PM 11-13-2013
I just read CNet's review of this TV.

Quote:
The F8000 on the other hand uses Micro Dimming Ultimate and Precision Black Local Dimming which turn the backlight on and off in hundreds of zones in response to onscreen content.


What? Hundreds of zones? It's more like 6 or 4. What am I missing here?
PiratesCove's Avatar PiratesCove 04:17 PM 11-13-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjl290 View Post

review from cnet is a joke.I did a lot of research when I bought this TV.the picture on my samsung blows away my other two Samsungs.the best picture I have ever seen on a tv.with the right material on the screen the picture is stunning.I couldn't imagine it being any better.

I am biased and like the F7100, yet my unbiased experience is that the review was incomplete and un-informed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oreb View Post

I just read CNet's review of this TV.


What? Hundreds of zones? It's more like 6 or 4. What am I missing here?

Another unsubstantiated claim...is it possible to completely re-edit a CNET review?
harveybirdman15's Avatar harveybirdman15 04:31 PM 11-13-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by david3772 View Post

Well, the review is interesting. Cnet doesn't like the 7100 as much as I do. Maybe PiratesCove is right with his questions regarding cnet's apparent lack of calibration.

The review claims the Sony W900 and the Vizio M-series have a better picture. The Sony is smaller than we wanted but we looked at the Vizio in several stores, and never encountered one that had a picture anywhere near as sharp as the F7100. Maybe it's me, but I don't think so.


Couldn't agree more. I was in Best Buy comparing these TVs literally hours before reading this review and there was no doubt the F7100 looked much better than the Vizio M-series. I really want to love the Vizio given its affordability, and while viewing two uncalibrated sets in a brightly-lit store environment doesn't provide the fairest comparison, the disparity was too great for me to believe that calibration alone could make up the difference.

The W900 was at least as good as the F7100 if not better in my estimation, but I should hope so considering that it costs $400 more and is way behind Samsung & LG with respect to smart features.


This review came off as a bit flippant. I don't recall CNET ever so actively steering consumers towards other TVs. "Just fork out the extra money for the Sony or buy a Panasonic plasma already!" I really think CNET has undermined its credibility with this one.
harveybirdman15's Avatar harveybirdman15 04:39 PM 11-13-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrgud79 View Post


Having owned 65'F8000 for three weeks, and now having a 75"F7100 right now, i can honestly say that F8000 is only a lil bit sharper vs F7100...and much more lagging especially while in "game mode"! Black levels are also 100% identical to naked eye.

This was my perception as well. The F8000 produces an astoundingly sharp image. Why is it that CNET never seems to mention sharpness in their reviews? Clearly that's an important factor in assessing a TV's image quality.
venus933's Avatar venus933 08:01 PM 11-13-2013
Based upon David Katzmaier’s review of the F8000 earlier this year the review of the F7100 was very predictable. As some may recall I pressed him on how the F7100 would compare to the F8000 and his reply to me was that he would be very surprised if the PQ of the F7100 would be nearly as good as the F8000. His reasoning being that the dimming scheme on the F8000 is the only one that’s not video based.

As far as the number of dimming zones, read the review of the F8000 and you’ll find out Samsung made that claim to Katzmaier.

Now cnet is misinformed and has no credibility. I didn’t see that coming!
Tags: Samsung Un60f7100 60 Inch 3d Ultra Slim Smart Led Hdtv , Samsung Un46f8000 46 Inch 3d Ultra Slim Smart Led Hdtv
First ... 101  102  103 104  105  ... Last

Up
Mobile  Desktop