Forum Jump: 

post #3331 of 5203 Old 11-30-2013, 08:03 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenX View Post

well i have a 60" 7100 from best buy and i am very disappointed...picture looks like crap...very pixelated in the faces, rapid motions, edges from hands and arms....i tried all sorts of calibrations posted here and another forums and nothing...do i have to return it or i have to pay 250 for calibration and hope the crappy Pixelated HD will go away... before this a have 6 series 47"sammy and now this TV LED is in my bedroom and it look gorgeous as usual... anyone before me has this issue and if yes how do you fix it??? thanks

Exchange it for another one. If you're not happy with that, then get another TV. If you don't play video games, grab the Panasonic ST60.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3332 of 5203 Old 11-30-2013, 08:13 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 28
I think what he is overlooking is that there is a HUGE difference in the appearance of source material between a 47" and a 60" TV. Most anything looks good on a smaller TV like that. Anything short of bluray will definitely show the deficiency of the source, especially on this TV. Garbage in, garbage out. Also try turning off the mpeg noise reduction and the digital clean view as it can cause the artifacts described. Make sure the sharpness isn't too high. But I have a feeling it is the source he's feeding it.

post #3333 of 5203 Old 11-30-2013, 08:47 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjsiv View Post

I think what he is overlooking is that there is a HUGE difference in the appearance of source material between a 47" and a 60" TV. Most anything looks good on a smaller TV like that. Anything short of bluray will definitely show the deficiency of the source, especially on this TV. Garbage in, garbage out. Also try turning off the mpeg noise reduction and the digital clean view as it can cause the artifacts described. Make sure the sharpness isn't too high. But I have a feeling it is the source he's feeding it.
I forgot I had done a picture reset after trying Cnets settings. When re calibrated using Pirates settings I forgot to turn them off again,so thanks for the reminder and problem solved.
post #3334 of 5203 Old 11-30-2013, 10:44 PM

Liked: 10

Thought i'd post my settings after owning the TV for a couple of weeks now.  Used the Xbox One calibration feature to finalize my settings:

Picture Mode: Standard (Game Mode: On)

Backlight: 16

Contrast: 100

Brightness: 32

Sharpness: 26 (from suggestions here)

Color: 45

Tint: 50/50

Picture Size: Screen Fit

Dynamic Contrast: Low

Black Tone: Off

Flesh Tone: 0

Color Space: Auto

White Balance: Defaults

Gamma: 0

Motion Lighting: Off (Game Mode)

Color Tone: Standard

Digital Clean View: Auto

MPEG Noise Filter: Auto

HDMI Black Level: Normal

Film Mode: Off (Game Mode)

Auto Motion Plus: Off (Game Mode)

Cinema Black: High

The setting i'm most surprised about is the Xbox One calibration suggesting to turn the brightness down to 32. I really like these settings, try 'em out (if anyone has suggestions for tweaking, let me know)!

About to update my firmware to 1117 right now as well, hope everything is working well. 

post #3335 of 5203 Old 11-30-2013, 11:48 PM

Liked: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sketchkid79 View Post

Tried out 3D for the first time today... found out it keeps the 2D/3D picture options separate, so I set mine again for 3D, only with a tad more brightness.(due to the glasses)  Unfortunately HDMI Black and Cinema Black are unavailable in 3D mode.  I understand it's better to have 3D a little brighter, but I do miss the deep blacks.... anyone found a workaround for getting the 3D viewing closer to 2D in image quality?

Btw, do the glasses charge up when 3D mode is off?  Anyone found a good storage solution, and also good wipes to use for the lenses?

I do notice a little eye soreness unfortunately frown.gif

Thanks.
Here's a suggestion for you. Instead of raising the brightness, go into the 3D Menu and set 3D light Control to High. Default is Low. Also this setting will automatically Reset back to Low when the TV is turned Off. This setting helps retain the deep blacks as opposed to bumping up the brightness a bit to compensate for the 3D glasses.

The glasses that come with the TV do not charge but they do show a battery charge level when pairing to the TV.

You're right about Cinema Black not being selectable in 3D Mode but I'm not sure what you are refering to with HDMI Black though.

I hope this helps since the 3D Mode on the TV when using 3D light control set to High is very bright even with the glasses.
post #3336 of 5203 Old 12-01-2013, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjsiv View Post

My source is Dish Network PVR, all HDMI cabled.. I upgraded to a Hopper PVR and they are going to set it up on Tuesday.. So I'll give the TV a fighting chance because I love the features.. And I think I search an isf tech to calibrate the TV
post #3337 of 5203 Old 12-01-2013, 10:08 AM

Liked: 21
Hey everyone. I just bought this TV last night. The 65 inch. I am liking it so far except for one thing. Which brings me here. I know being an led there is going to be light bleed. However, it seems to be pretty bad in the lower left corner. There is a "beam" of light going out at a 45 degree angle. None of the other corners do this. Was just wondering if this was normal or not. It is pretty distracting at night. Not so much during the day. Can I fix this myself? Should I return? Thanks for the help.
post #3338 of 5203 Old 12-01-2013, 10:42 AM

Liked: 12
Have had my 60 inch 7100 for three days now...used disney wow disc for basic calibration and pirates cove settings for more advanced settings...been doing some additional tweaking and have got the picture where I want it....i have zero complaints...gorgeous picture...3D looks great...watching football now..no motion issues whatsoever. am extremely happy with this purchase and glad i waited it out for the black friday week price drop at amazon...their enhanced delivery went smooth...the guys attached the stand and all my connections...for what its worth they mentioned theyve been getting alot of returns of the 8000 series...folks not happy...said the 7100 is a solid pick. so overall a great experience...kicking back and enjoying my early xmas present!! thanks to everyone here who has posted...this forum has been an invaluable resource.
macmane likes this.
post #3339 of 5203 Old 12-01-2013, 11:04 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thelt2000x View Post

Hey everyone. I just bought this TV last night. The 65 inch. I am liking it so far except for one thing. Which brings me here. I know being an led there is going to be light bleed. However, it seems to be pretty bad in the lower left corner. There is a "beam" of light going out at a 45 degree angle. None of the other corners do this. Was just wondering if this was normal or not. It is pretty distracting at night. Not so much during the day. Can I fix this myself? Should I return? Thanks for the help.

What mode are you using? Movie mode disables local dimming which usually takes care of the uniformity issue. How high is your backlight? The higher the backlight setting, the more prominent it can be as well.

post #3340 of 5203 Old 12-01-2013, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgh26 View Post

Here's a suggestion for you. Instead of raising the brightness, go into the 3D Menu and set 3D light Control to High. Default is Low. Also this setting will automatically Reset back to Low when the TV is turned Off. This setting helps retain the deep blacks as opposed to bumping up the brightness a bit to compensate for the 3D glasses.

The glasses that come with the TV do not charge but they do show a battery charge level when pairing to the TV.

Thanks for the tip.  I guess my question for the glasses is how do they (the battery) charge up?  I saw the charge level on the tv going down and up at times.

Had a weird situation last night - the brightness levels would randomly fade up and back down (to normal levels), and all the eco settings are off.  What fixed this was turning Cinema Black off (from high) - it still maintained the dark levels it had, but the brightness blooms stopped.  The only things I did yesterday was mess around with 3D, and hooked up a new Onkyo Receiver.  The receiver does have hdmi pic settings. (auto/movie/custom, etc)  I just left it at custom - was it overriding the tv settings somehow?

So far so good, just wish it all wasnt so complicated :)

post #3341 of 5203 Old 12-01-2013, 11:23 AM

I had it in standard. Should I put it in movie mode? I have my backlight at 15. Is the beam of light normal? Thsnks
post #3342 of 5203 Old 12-01-2013, 01:19 PM

Liked: 25
Quote:

I had it in standard. Should I put it in movie mode? I have my backlight at 15. Is the beam of light normal? Thsnks
I have my backlight at 8. Some clouding noticeable only during credits or between scenes, but never during normal content.
post #3343 of 5203 Old 12-01-2013, 01:21 PM

Do you have beams of lights at the corners?
post #3344 of 5203 Old 12-01-2013, 03:15 PM

Oh yes, here's another tip for all recent new owners (like myself). Be sure to go to Samsung's website and upgrade the firmware to the latest & greatest. I only purchased mine a week or so back, manufactured Oct 1st, and the software was several versions behind. It's already known that the most recent update attempts to address some of the picture issues that folks have talked about. I used a USB stick vs upgrading over wifi - more reliable that way. Instructions are available in Samsung's support website.

And don't forget to do a full reset afterwards.

Hope this helps some of you guys!

EDIT - Hah, in fact, another firmware upgrade just went out on the 27th, which I did not have either! Time to download! cool.gif
post #3345 of 5203 Old 12-01-2013, 03:51 PM

Quote:

Do you have beams of lights at the corners?
Depends on how you define beams. I would say it looks like a cloud at night. More pronounced in the lower left corner. But less noticeable in the standard mode than the movie mode. In the Standard Mode: under advanced settings, set Dynamic Contrast to Off, Black Tone to Dark and under Picture Options, set HDMI Black Level to Low. No reason to have Backlight greater than 8. Let me know if this helps.
post #3346 of 5203 Old 12-01-2013, 05:34 PM

8 all the time or just when watching a movie. Should I be in movie mode all the time? 8 seems kind of low however, I am going to try it for the football game tonight.
post #3347 of 5203 Old 12-01-2013, 05:48 PM

Quote:

8 all the time or just when watching a movie. Should I be in movie mode all the time? 8 seems kind of low however, I am going to try it for the football game tonight.
Since firmware update 1116, I generally watch in the standard mode. The microdimming, which I used to hate, is now much less powerful and it does reduce clouding. In the movie mode, clouding is more noticeable. I keep the backlight at 8 all the time whether I am watching DVR, Smartphone or Apple TV content. Other settings include Contrast 95, Brightness 45, Sharpness 50 and Color 50. In all fairness, I have not had an opportunity to see what the picture looks like while watching a football game.

There is so much trial and error to get a good picture. Yesterday I tried setting Black Tone to Darker and HDMI Black Level to Normal. However, the picture in the standard mode became much to bright with very low contrast. Night scenes were overly bright. Today I changed back to my original settings. I think the picture quality is now spectacular.

I am not certain what v. 1117 will bring and will wait for some feedback before I install it.
post #3348 of 5203 Old 12-01-2013, 06:44 PM

would anyone be able to tell me why hdmi black level setting is greyed out...its set on normal but i cant change it no matter what picture mode i select...my set top box is connected via hdmi cable to hdmi 1 input on tv...thanks.
post #3349 of 5203 Old 12-01-2013, 07:28 PM

Liked: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sketchkid79 View Post

Thanks for the tip.  I guess my question for the glasses is how do they (the battery) charge up?  I saw the charge level on the tv going down and up at times.

Your welcome... This applies to the UNF7100 series... We are talking about the US model correct? The 3D glasses that come with the UNF7100 Series do not charge up so I guess the Battery indicator may not be 100% accurate at times depending on a few variables. There are some aftermarket one's out there that do have that feature but I imagine they would require some type of charger. Our 3D Glasses batteries are throw away (non chargable) & replacable when drained. I don't have a clue if they make them in a re-chargeable style but that would also require a seperate charger

Had a weird situation last night - the brightness levels would randomly fade up and back down (to normal levels), and all the eco settings are off.  What fixed this was turning Cinema Black off (from high) - it still maintained the dark levels it had, but the brightness blooms stopped.  The only things I did yesterday was mess around with 3D, and hooked up a new Onkyo Receiver.  The receiver does have hdmi pic settings. (auto/movie/custom, etc)  I just left it at custom - was it overriding the tv settings somehow?

I thought the blooming with Cinema Black when set to High was fixed a few firmware versions ago but Medimum works fine for me for displaying really dark black bars without noticable blooming when watching Letter Box movies.

So far so good, just wish it all wasnt so complicated smile.gif
Well that's sure the truth... This thing should should be called "You need to be SMART TV" with a disclamer that "The TV requitres an IQ of 155 or above or some features may be disabled". Well not quite that complicated really but..... 7 months in, I'm still tweaking things but not very much. Discovering things along the way was half the fun I guess.biggrin.gif
post #3350 of 5203 Old 12-01-2013, 09:06 PM

Liked: 23
Been messing around with tv settings for the ps4 and I find changing rgb mode to full on ps4 and changing HDMI black level to normal on the tv actually gives a very nice picture
post #3351 of 5203 Old 12-01-2013, 09:23 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 72
I would like to know everyone's feeling on FW:1117.4. I downloaded and install about an hour ago and personally noticed a significant improvement in PQ. The microdimming seems to have been improved substantially. Helping with some mild flashlighting and clouding I had noticed before and overall image depth 2D and black level performance. My roommate has an 42ST30 from 2011 and the Samsung side by side 2D and 3D is better. I know that we don't get the reference level blacks that the ST50/60 owners brag about, but having owned an NX720 I feel that the F7100 can stand as a great bang for the buck. Again let me know your thoughts .
post #3352 of 5203 Old 12-01-2013, 10:12 PM

Is this TV overkill if you're not planning on gaming at all? That's the impression I got from JPowers at the top of this page 112. If so, what's best for watching DVDs, HD broadcast TV, HD movies from broadcast TV, and streaming stuff online sometimes / streaming TV shows from HBO GO for example that aren't available on demand?

post #3353 of 5203 Old 12-01-2013, 11:50 PM

Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feurian View Post

Is this TV overkill if you're not planning on gaming at all? That's the impression I got from JPowers at the top of this page 112. If so, what's best for watching DVDs, HD broadcast TV, HD movies from broadcast TV, and streaming stuff online sometimes / streaming TV shows from HBO GO for example that aren't available on demand?

No, you misunderstood. GreenX wasn't happy with his 7100. I told him to exchange for another 7100 to see if it improved what he wasn't happy with. The Panasonic ST60 is the highest reviewed TV on Cnet, but it suffers from horrible gaming lag. That's why I mentioned it. Overkill has nothing to do with it, only the shortcoming of the ST60.
post #3354 of 5203 Old 12-02-2013, 05:21 AM

Hi all,

My last post was 08/2007, so it's been awhile. I need to replace an old Sony XBR set and I am looking for something in the range of 70"-75". I have narrowed down the choices to either the Samsung 75F7100 or 75F8000. I actually have the 75F7100 on order from BB, but I am waffling a bit. It would seem that the 2 biggest differences (aside from price) between these units are the Smart TV hardware (dual vs quad core processor), and the lack of micro-dimming on the 7100 (apparently only lacking on the 75F7100 which is what I have on order). So I am thinking that the Smart TV differences won't impact me, as I use a Tivo as my STB and can access most services from there. I'll also be adding either an XBox or a PS4 once the dust settles in that arena, and will have even more choices for "Smart TV" in the future. However the lack of the micro-dimming worries me a bit more. Having said that, we watch sports, and NetFlix movies most often, and don't use any DVD (Blue-Ray) at all. So I think I'll be happy with the 7100 series and hope not to be disappointed that I didn't pony up the extra $2,000.00 for the 75F8000. But of course I'd like to know any stories of someone who has a F757100 and is regretting not upgrading to the 8000 series.

---Smoke

endlessly (and mindlessly) in pursuit of clarity and precision
post #3355 of 5203 Old 12-02-2013, 09:05 AM

I don't knw y but the microdimming on standard is just unbearable for me. I love the pq from standard now but the microdimming just continues to make my picture dark as hell when dark scenes appear Smh I've tried a lot of different settings. It looks gorgeous in light scenes but dark scenes is unwatchable
post #3356 of 5203 Old 12-02-2013, 11:13 AM

Well..after three days thinking I hit the lottery with the 60 inch, I am exchanging it for the Panasonic VIERA TC-P60ST60 plasma.  $1600 on the Samsung and now there's severe light bleeding from all four corners.  Don't want to go through the trouble of replacing it with another of the same.  I have been reading this forum and was aware of this problem and took a chance, but unfortunately, I feel, this led backlight technology is flawed, imo.  My only reason for not going with the plasma originally was fear of image retention and/or burn-in, but I'll break it in as best as I can.  This Samsung is completely unwatchable in any semi-dark to dark scenes.  This Panasonic is $100 less too.

post #3357 of 5203 Old 12-02-2013, 11:22 AM

what did you set the RGB range to? full or limited?
post #3358 of 5203 Old 12-02-2013, 11:52 AM

Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by macmane View Post

I don't knw y but the microdimming on standard is just unbearable for me. I love the pq from standard now but the microdimming just continues to make my picture dark as hell when dark scenes appear Smh I've tried a lot of different settings. It looks gorgeous in light scenes but dark scenes is unwatchable

Cinema Black, Dynamic contrast, and Eco setting is most likely causing your problem of extreme microdimming.
Try settings below and tweak them to taste, I never get microdimming even in game mode.

Picture Mode: Standard
Backlight: 12
Brightness: 53
Sharp: 20
Color: 50
Tint (G/R): 50/50
Picture Size: 16:9
[3D]
3D Perspective: 0
Depth: 5
L/R Change: L/R Image
3D -> 2D: Off
3D Light Control: High
[Advanced Settings]
RGB Only Mode: Off
[Color Space] Native
White Balance]
R-Offset 14, G-Offset 14, B-Offset 14, R-Gain 25, G-Gain 25, B-Gain 25 (set offset lower for taste but make them equal or you may get unwanted micro-dimming, reduce R-Gain independently for red color taste )
Expert Pattern: Off
[Picture Options]
Dig Clean View: Off
MPEG Noise Filter: Off
HDMI Black Level: Low
Film Mode: Auto 1
Auto Motion Plus: Clear
Cinema Black: Off
Apply Picture Source: Current Source
post #3359 of 5203 Old 12-02-2013, 12:16 PM

Whats the size of your tv stand. I am waiting for my UN65F7100 and wanted a corner tv stand. Could you post a link to the stand ?

post #3360 of 5203 Old 12-02-2013, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by teqzen View Post

Cinema Black, Dynamic contrast, and Eco setting is most likely causing your problem of extreme microdimming.
Try settings below and tweak them to taste, I never get microdimming even in game mode.

Picture Mode: Standard
Backlight: 12
Brightness: 53
Sharp: 20
Color: 50
Tint (G/R): 50/50
Picture Size: 16:9
[3D]
3D Perspective: 0
Depth: 5
L/R Change: L/R Image
3D -> 2D: Off
3D Light Control: High
[Advanced Settings]
RGB Only Mode: Off
[Color Space] Native
White Balance]
R-Offset 14, G-Offset 14, B-Offset 14, R-Gain 25, G-Gain 25, B-Gain 25 (set offset lower for taste but make them equal or you may get unwanted micro-dimming, reduce R-Gain independently for red color taste )
Expert Pattern: Off
[Picture Options]
Dig Clean View: Off
MPEG Noise Filter: Off
HDMI Black Level: Low
Film Mode: Auto 1
Auto Motion Plus: Clear
Cinema Black: Off
Apply Picture Source: Current Source
thanks man I'm about to try them out
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Samsung Un60f7100 60 Inch 3d Ultra Slim Smart Led Hdtv , Samsung Un46f8000 46 Inch 3d Ultra Slim Smart Led Hdtv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page