Forum Jump: 

post #3421 of 5266 Old 12-04-2013, 12:38 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by imike View Post

Maybe I am mistaken but it seems that you have an underscan (your image is smaller than screen size)
Are you by any chance running cable signal on input marked as PC?
no I don't think. Some movies that come on let's say showtime will have the black bars on the top and bottom. I have my screen size to screen fit
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3422 of 5266 Old 12-04-2013, 01:05 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjsiv View Post

On my set, pirates settings were too red for me. No offense to pirate. He's a great resource on this thread and all of his contributions are greatly appreciated. My taste is just different.

I felt the same way about the settings Pirates posted.   Thanks for posting yours; I plan to try them later this week along with teqzen's.

My 55F7100 is replacing a decade-old RCA 38" tube HD set, so with that as the barometer the difference in PQ is nothing short of spectacular with very little tweaking to the factory settings so far.

Does anyone have Blu-Ray player recommendations that pair well with this TV?  It seems most of the players have functions redundant to what's offered in the 7100s (WiFi, apps, etc.), so I'm assuming one that simply plays discs would be all I need...?

post #3423 of 5266 Old 12-04-2013, 01:48 PM

Hi i have a question regarding the apps such as youtube, Netflix, etc. I can get sound through the TV speakers but unable to get it play in surround sound. My receiver is a Denon if hat makes a difference, any way to fix this? Thanks
post #3424 of 5266 Old 12-04-2013, 02:06 PM

I fix it. It seem when I put my tv on screen fit that small line will appear but when I put it to 16:9 its gone strange
post #3425 of 5266 Old 12-04-2013, 02:28 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Anyone have compression and macroblocking issues with direct TV. Got it installed today and it looks like crap on my 65 inch. I've had Directv in the past and it always seemed to look better. I've tried every setting I can think of (yes it's set to 720 & 1080). I think it may be as good as it gets which isn't good because they said since the install is done, I'm stuck with it for 2 years. Sons of anarchy was almost unwatchable. I've done it all (switched inputs, cables, settings). Anyone have similar issues?

post #3426 of 5266 Old 12-04-2013, 03:42 PM

Liked: 22
Quote:

Anyone have compression and macroblocking issues with direct TV. Got it installed today and it looks like crap on my 65 inch. I've had Directv in the past and it always seemed to look better. I've tried every setting I can think of (yes it's set to 720 & 1080). I think it may be as good as it gets which isn't good because they said since the install is done, I'm stuck with it for 2 years. Sons of anarchy was almost unwatchable. I've done it all (switched inputs, cables, settings). Anyone have similar issues?

I did. I was told it was the source. But I have since returned the TV due to the light bleed and clouding. It was just too much for me.

FWIW, I have gone back to my old TV, which is a bit smaller lcd, played the same content, and did not see anything resembling "micro blocking".

Do with that what you want.....
post #3427 of 5266 Old 12-04-2013, 03:57 PM

Very nice TV! Got the UN60F7100 and absolutely loving it! Not feelin' the remote so much,... not as much as I thought I would. My Galaxy SG4 is smoother. Got it just in time,... the UN60F7100 is back up to $1899.99 almost everywhere online,... Amazon, BB, Sears, etc.! Don't know about in the stores. 

This thread is a gold mine! Props to all who have contributed in here. It will no doubt be my Bible, Encyclopedia & Diary over the next couple days/weeks! Thanks guys. 

post #3428 of 5266 Old 12-04-2013, 04:37 PM

Liked: 11
Just purchased this today from Abes of Maine directly at their warehouse in Central Nj, only about 20 miles away. No hassle, no hard sell on extras, etc. $1075 plus tax. Brand new, factory sealed. Had them open it in front of me. Perfect. Plays great. Already upgraded the firmware. Much lower than the $1297!everyone else is selling it for. No one would match the price. Not Best Buy, PC Richards, J&R. No one! Best price I saw during Black Friday w/e was $1197.
post #3429 of 5266 Old 12-04-2013, 05:19 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 119
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgh26 View Post

The Ver 1117 is Excellent for watching Blu-rays. The clarity was amazing and motion @24P was flawless last night while viewing a RedBox Rental. The 1080I STB picture is about the same but I have bumped up the sharpness a little more without seemimg to intruduce more artifacts. Over all, this version has been Good but I'm un-clear what the changes are from Ver 1116 that has been very popular so far. I'm on the fence about Standard & Movie Modes now. Standard is so GOOD on my set (No flashlighting in 2 D) that I am switching between Movie & Standard depending on the source material. I was a Standard fan but in Movie Mode, this TV looks so good from a calibration standpoint with earlier firmware versions, I switched. BUT NOW..... and over the last few firmware updates, Standard has been improved in every way from less micro-diming to a very accurate Gray Scale that approaches near picture perfect Movie Mode.

+1, I updated to fw. ver 1117 and Movie Mode looks very impressive.

I only use Standard for gaming..so I can really speak on its improvements...

Samsung has finally got really good with its updates...
post #3430 of 5266 Old 12-04-2013, 05:33 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

On my set, pirates settings were too red for me. No offense to pirate. He's a great resource on this thread and all of his contributions are greatly appreciated. My taste is just different.
Quote:
Originally Posted by agent15 View Post

I felt the same way about the settings Pirates posted.   Thanks for posting yours; I plan to try them later this week along with teqzen's.

I know exactly how both of you feel.

I used to hate Warm 2 for the Color Tone (Temperature).

Now I have adjusted and like the industry 6500K Color Temperature Standard.

http://www.curtpalme.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=10457

Try adjusting the Color Tone settings to your liking.

I also used to prefer higher Sharpness, now lower looks better to me.
post #3431 of 5266 Old 12-04-2013, 05:42 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Anyone have compression and macroblocking issues with direct TV. Got it installed today and it looks like crap on my 65 inch. I've had Directv in the past and it always seemed to look better. I've tried every setting I can think of (yes it's set to 720 & 1080). I think it may be as good as it gets which isn't good because they said since the install is done, I'm stuck with it for 2 years. I've done it all (switched inputs, cables, settings). Anyone have similar issues?

Some channels have more macroblocking than others- its not the F7100.

I keep the DirecTV 1080i output and use Film Mode: Auto 1 or Auto 2 for the HDTV.

You can try using Digital Clean View and MPEG Noise Filter to reduce some of the problem.

The cause is DirecTV's MPEG-4 Compression and large amount of HD channels' effect on bandwidth.

The channels used to look almost perfect before 2010's increase in compression and drop in bandwidth.
post #3432 of 5266 Old 12-04-2013, 05:45 PM

Aright guys, finally broke down and downloaded/burned the AVS HD 709 (AVCHD) calibration disk, and spent a couple of hours calibrating my TV according to my eye. Confirmed the settings with the Xbox One calibration tool, the settings were perfect. Here's to anyone who wants to try!

Picture Mode: Standard (Game Mode: On)

Backlight: 12

Contrast: 94

Brightness: 46

Sharpness: 10

Color: 40

Tint: 50/50

----------------

Picture Size: Screen Fit

----------------

Dynamic Contrast: Off

Black Tone: Off

Flesh Tone: 0

Color Space: Custom

Red: 42/0/0

Green: 58/0/0

Blue: 60/0/0

Yellow: 58/58/0

Cyan: 0/59/59

Magenta: 42/0/42

White Balance: Defaults

Gamma: 0

----------------

Color Tone: Warm1

Digital Clean View: Off

MPEG Noise Filter: Off

HDMI Black Level: Low

Cinema Black: High

----------------

Xbox One Settings

Color Depth: 24 bits per pixel

Color Space: TV (RBG Limited)

Feel free to leave me feedback and any tweaking suggestions! Edited for some last minute tweaks...

post #3433 of 5266 Old 12-04-2013, 06:11 PM

Ok,... any suggestions on a DVD player that would match up nicely with the 7100 (60" version)? Budget: $169.99+ST I'm thinking would be fine. Is it absolutely important to go with a Samsung branded unit? Given all the smarts loaded into the 7100, can you get away with a non-smart WiFi unit and just rely on the 7100? I'm thinking a great unit would be even greater when it comes to price in it's non WiFi version. Thanks.

post #3434 of 5266 Old 12-04-2013, 10:03 PM

Hello

I'm new to the forum. Looking for some help with the 3-D glasses that come with the UN55F7100AFXZA Samsung smart tv. According to the manual, you simply push down on the small button for a second and a message shows up on the tv saying the glasses are connected. The button alternates red/green.

When turning the glasses off, the manual says to push down on that same button and it turns red for a second or two to shut off.

I can't do the latter and get the glasses to turn off.

Thank you for your time!!!
post #3435 of 5266 Old 12-04-2013, 10:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffster15 View Post

Hi i have a question regarding the apps such as youtube, Netflix, etc. I can get sound through the TV speakers but unable to get it play in surround sound. My receiver is a Denon if hat makes a difference, any way to fix this? Thanks[/quote

Fixed, now using hdmi 2 which has ARC which i had no idea haha, glad its working now.
post #3436 of 5266 Old 12-04-2013, 10:19 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by EricJrSax View Post

Ok,... any suggestions on a DVD player that would match up nicely with the 7100 (60" version)? Budget: $169.99+ST I'm thinking would be fine. Is it absolutely important to go with a Samsung branded unit? Given all the smarts loaded into the 7100, can you get away with a non-smart WiFi unit and just rely on the 7100? I'm thinking a great unit would be even greater when it comes to price in it's non WiFi version. Thanks.

Eric, as far as brands go the only advantage may be that your TV remote also works all the need functions on the BluRay player so one less remote to deal with. As for a smart BluRay player vs non smart if don't know if you can find a 3d BluRay that doesn't have those features. Samsung BD-F5900 can be had for around $89 from newegg.com
post #3437 of 5266 Old 12-05-2013, 05:50 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Hi i have a question regarding the apps such as youtube, Netflix, etc. I can get sound through the TV speakers but unable to get it play in surround sound. My receiver is a Denon if hat makes a difference, any way to fix this? Thanks[/quote

Fixed, now using hdmi 2 which has ARC which i had no idea haha, glad its working now.

Hello

I noticed that to. If my receiver is on it will play audio through the surround speakers and you tube will play through the tv speakers.

How did you fix that with the hdmi arc??? Looks like I will need another cable?
post #3438 of 5266 Old 12-05-2013, 06:24 AM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by srg914 View Post

After researching the panny plasma threads, it seems plasma has its own set of issues....100 hour break-in...don't watch letterbox or logos or streaming banners...need to run screen wipe and pixel shifter..lol.  I like watching what I want, when I want without being concerned about image retention or burn in.   So.....I cancelled the exchange...contacted Samsung...they have me setting backlight to 7 and give it two weeks.  Since I have until Jan. 31, 2014 to return to amazon, I will keep my Samsung and my fingers crossed.  I really do love the picture...except when a dark scene shows up and I see the light blooming in all four corners.  Hopefully this will resolve itself with time...if not....I don't know what I'll do for a replacement.  I appreciate any comments.

Well, last night I watched a movie with the lights off and the dark scenes were intolerable.  Blobs of light in every corner.  From what I've been reading, Samsung's advice of turning down backlight and waiting two weeks is just their stock answer to what is basically a manufacturing defect that they are well aware of.  My impression is that all LED tvs can have this flashlighting/clouding problem, but Samsung is known to be one of the worst offenders.  So do I exchange this set for the same model and just hope I get lucky?  Kind of like buying a car that you have nothing but trouble with, then trading it in and buying the same model.  I laugh when people ask if these clouds and light bleed is normal.  Would you buy a refrigerator that didn't keep your food cold and ask if that is normal?  We are spending upwards of $2k on these sets and I for one expect a uniformed picture.  I want to love this tv as when viewing non-dark content the picture is awesome.  But I will not compromise myself as a consumer.  So this whole process seems to be a crap shoot, buy a tv, get it home, see if it has these problems, exchange it, try again, rinse and repeat.  Very frustrating.  Will be doing some more research to see if there is a brand that at least has a better reputation of putting out a quality products, free of defects.  Any thoughts?

post #3439 of 5266 Old 12-05-2013, 06:34 AM

Liked: 17
Quote:

Well, last night I watched a movie with the lights off and the dark scenes were intolerable.  Blobs of light in every corner.  From what I've been reading, Samsung's advice of turning down backlight and waiting two weeks is just their stock answer to what is basically a manufacturing defect that they are well aware of.  My impression is that all LED tvs can have this flashlighting/clouding problem, but Samsung is known to be one of the worst offenders.  So do I exchange this set for the same model and just hope I get lucky?  Kind of like buying a car that you have nothing but trouble with, then trading it in and buying the same model.  I laugh when people ask if these clouds and light bleed is normal.  Would you buy a refrigerator that didn't keep your food cold and ask if that is normal?  We are spending upwards of $2k on these sets and I for one expect a uniformed picture.  I want to love this tv as when viewing non-dark content the picture is awesome.  But I will not compromise myself as a consumer.  So this whole process seems to be a crap shoot, buy a tv, get it home, see if it has these problems, exchange it, try again, rinse and repeat.  Very frustrating.  Will be doing some more research to see if there is a brand that at least has a better reputation of putting out a quality products, free of defects.  Any thoughts?

Hmm.. Is it the 60 incher? I did put up a post previously about issues with clouding and flashlighting, complete with pics etc. I had it changed once, and subsequently they replaced the panel inside to no avail. I got a refund and now I own the sony 55w904a. It comes with it's own issues but much less serious with very very little flashlighting and no clouding. Not sure how leaving it at 7 for a couple of weeks would help unless he's trying to get you to miss the return window
post #3440 of 5266 Old 12-05-2013, 06:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by congster View Post

Hmm.. Is it the 60 incher? I did put up a post previously about issues with clouding and flashlighting, complete with pics etc. I had it changed once, and subsequently they replaced the panel inside to no avail. I got a refund and now I own the sony 55w904a. It comes with it's own issues but much less serious with very very little flashlighting and no clouding. Not sure how leaving it at 7 for a couple of weeks would help unless he's trying to get you to miss the return window

Yep, the 60 inch.  no worries about the return window.  Purchased from amazon, have until jan. 31, 2014, but won't wait that long.  Can't see how this problem is going to magically disappear.  I would go with sony, just wish they made a 60 inch...and 65 inch gets more expensive for my taste.  The plasma people rave about their picture quality but then go into how you can't watch shows with logos, or streaming banners, or letterboxes....running screen wipes for an hour before watching, pixel shifter overnight after watching.  Like taking care of new born baby..lol.

post #3441 of 5266 Old 12-05-2013, 07:15 AM

Quote:

Yep, the 60 inch.  no worries about the return window.  Purchased from amazon, have until jan. 31, 2014, but won't wait that long.  Can't see how this problem is going to magically disappear.  I would go with sony, just wish they made a 60 inch...and 65 inch gets more expensive for my taste.  The plasma people rave about their picture quality but then go into how you can't watch shows with logos, or streaming banners, or letterboxes....running screen wipes for an hour before watching, pixel shifter overnight after watching.  Like taking care of new born baby..lol.
how long have u had the tv? I would think about returning it
post #3442 of 5266 Old 12-05-2013, 07:17 AM

Liked: 17
my previous post on the 60 incher: http://www.avsforum.com/t/1470900/official-samsung-unxxf7100-owners-thread/2550#post_23786438

Yep, I tend to leave the tv on at a particular channel (babyTV) for my son and most if not all cable channels come with logos so plasmas are definitely a no go for me. Agree - we shouldn't have to babysit our TVs after having to shell out a few grand for them. ridiculous. The 65x900 look pretty good to me, but they are quite expensive.
post #3443 of 5266 Old 12-05-2013, 07:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by macmane View Post

how long have u had the tv? I would think about returning it

I've had it a week, but I can't imagine the that the problem is going to get better, it's defective.  I plan on returning it, but my issue now is what to replace it with?

post #3444 of 5266 Old 12-05-2013, 07:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by congster View Post

my previous post on the 60 incher: http://www.avsforum.com/t/1470900/official-samsung-unxxf7100-owners-thread/2550#post_23786438

Yep, I tend to leave the tv on at a particular channel (babyTV) for my son and most if not all cable channels come with logos so plasmas are definitely a no go for me. Agree - we shouldn't have to babysit our TVs after having to shell out a few grand for them. ridiculous. The 65x900 look pretty good to me, but they are quite expensive.

Saw your post...mine has that same clouding but in every corner!!!  Glad to find someone who agrees with me about the plasmas.  Maybe I should just get a refund and listen to the radio...lol!

post #3445 of 5266 Old 12-05-2013, 07:31 AM

Quote:

I've had it a week, but I can't imagine the that the problem is going to get better, it's defective.  I plan on returning it, but my issue now is what to replace it with?
these days tvs are like a roll of the dice because u never knw what your going to get. They all come wit some sort of an issue whether minor or major (which is sad because when spending large amount of money we should get what we pay for) its just what we r willing to put up with honestly
post #3446 of 5266 Old 12-05-2013, 07:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by macmane View Post

these days tvs are like a roll of the dice because u never knw what your going to get. They all come wit some sort of an issue whether minor or major (which is sad because when spending large amount of money we should get what we pay for) its just what we r willing to put up with honestly

Exactly....thinking about the 60 inch 7500...it has a Samsung panel, TH01.  But I'm wondering if these lighting/clouding problems are more of a result of poor manufacturing/quality control than the panels themselves, or just the inherent technology.  Plus this would be costing me an extra $600

post #3447 of 5266 Old 12-05-2013, 07:40 AM

Quote:

Exactly....thinking about the 60 inch 7500...it has a Samsung panel, TH01.  But I'm wondering if these lighting/clouding problems are more of a result of poor manufacturing/quality control than the panels themselves, or just the inherent technology.  Plus this would be costing me an extra $600
I have the 60 7100 that u have and mine is not perfect but the issues r really minor in my eyes so far Lol but I've heard good things about the 7500 as well. I mean it doesn't hurt to try it but if it were me any tv I would get I would use every feature on it within the warranty time frame to see if I would keep keep it Lol good luck on your search man and keep us posted
post #3448 of 5266 Old 12-05-2013, 07:42 AM

I'm watching the movie called "dark shadows" and it looks amazing on this tv. I also feel this is a real good movie to test out how well your tv is during dark scenes considering its a lot of dark scenes in it
post #3449 of 5266 Old 12-05-2013, 08:07 AM

Quote:

Hey guys I have the 55 inch 7100 and was about to return it for the same reason. Coming from a Panasonic 2008 plasma, watching in the dark was frustrating! I kept reading and trying settings but still no help. Then someone posted about massaging the screen. I was Skeptical at best. I used my microfiber eyeglass cleaning cloth and put the Sin City Blu-ray and paused on an all black screen with the lights off. I massaged just slightly harder than you would to clean fingerprint smuges and to my disbelief it worked! I did it a couple more times and now with the backlight set at 12 in natural or standard mode I see no flashlighting or clouding. I am very happy with this TV now! One of the best pictures I've seen! I would try it before I returned it and played the panel lottery!
post #3450 of 5266 Old 12-05-2013, 08:13 AM

Does anyone know if there is a difference between HDMI1 and HDMI2 (ARC) if you do not use ARC?

I think I saw somewhere that HDMI1 supports full RGB
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Samsung Un60f7100 60 Inch 3d Ultra Slim Smart Led Hdtv , Samsung Un46f8000 46 Inch 3d Ultra Slim Smart Led Hdtv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page