Forum Jump: 

post #3601 of 5213 Old 12-10-2013, 08:56 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjsiv View Post

I set up two modes. Standard and movie. My room is completely light controlled so standard is for with lights on (back light 12 and micro dimming) and movie is for dark viewing with lights out. I actually have to run the back light at 4 in the dark because this thing is so bright. But with the back light that low, the lack of micro dimming in movie mode is irrelevant. I'm currently watching man of steel on Blu-ray and the picture is amazing. I used the WOW disc to get in the ballpark, but had to adjust it to my preference some. Going strictly off of patterns, the picture was a bit too gray. I'm probably clipping my blacks slightly, but I've finally got my TV to where I'm not playing with the settings constantly. Very happy right now.

So, I can have different calibrations for each mode and each input. Can 3d be calibrated separately?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3602 of 5213 Old 12-10-2013, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeBringer View Post

Very nice,

My wife has a similar (cabinet) design in mind. Do you mind giving me the width dimension? I think our wall is longer and she wants the cabinet to extend nearly all along the wall.

--Smoke

Sure thing: it's 70 7/8x10 1/4"x 10 1/4". I chose it because it covered both the power outlets and the cable/internet outlets so I could keep all the components and wires inside and out of sight without having to rewire anything. It looks like the shelf is actually on sale right now too for only $85 at Ikea: http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/60133931/
post #3603 of 5213 Old 12-10-2013, 08:58 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by dudley07726 View Post

So, I can have different calibrations for each mode and each input. Can 3d be calibrated separately?

Yes.

post #3604 of 5213 Old 12-10-2013, 09:47 AM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgh26 View Post

FYI Samsung NEVER accurately documents their firmware update changes/improvements. From early on, we have seen the mostly the same comments from one release to another. Anybody waiting to get the page description for Ver 1118 update will surely be disappointed unless Samsung finally starts to truely do what they should With their lack of documentation to their own support people as well as the rest of us owers, this really needs to be addressed. Some of us have complained to their support groups about this topic and have heard the BS about getting the feed back to upper management with promises of better documentation in future releases but that NEVER seems to happen for some reason. On the bright side, Ver 1117 has really shined on my TV for picture quality/Color Pop and the little bugs remaining in the Smart Hub really aren't a big deal for me. 3D & Blu-ray are KILLER GREAT!!!!! I'm not upgrading after reading some of the early comments. I don't want to go backwards & have viewed every firmware version release for the F7100 from early on.... Ver 1117 just works for the most part & I'm not sure due to the complex nature of the smart platforrm, they will ever get 100% bug free.

I would say its not really a good idea to upgrade to every version released unless they indicate a major bug fix.

Since my TV came with v1111 going to v1117 seemed like a good idea.

What one needs to realize is that an incremental upgrade may fix some minor issue and break something else
taken care of previously or see if they document a major fix is included.

So my rule of thumb on this, just like on my home built computer, I will skip a few upgrades before going after another one.
post #3605 of 5213 Old 12-10-2013, 10:10 AM

Quote:

Yes.

How is the 3D done separatetly? Thanks
post #3606 of 5213 Old 12-10-2013, 11:47 AM
Advanced Member

Put in a 3d disc and adjust your settings. When you switch back to 2d your 2d settings will be there.

post #3607 of 5213 Old 12-10-2013, 12:01 PM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wirth05 View Post

I also used the xbox one calibration tool and couldn't be happier with the results. My settings are very close to yours within +/- 2 on everything. Except I'm using native color space and warm 2 color tone. I couldn't believe how needlessly high my color setting was. It is currently 41 , set using the blue filter and the xbox one calibration tool. Picture quality is amazing. Anyone with an xbox one I highly recommend using this tool for yourself as everyone is in different environments and every tv is different.

On a separate note, is anyone else having trouble downloading the new firmware update? It keeps telling me the internet connection is unstable, but the tv is connected to the internet and is working fine.

Thanks and happy tweaking!
Josh

Yeah man, the Xbox One calibration is great! It's a very basic version of the AVS HD 709 calibration disk I also used... I suggest downloading and using that as well, as it can get some of the fine tweaking of the colors down.  

As for the firmware, it downloaded and installed just fine for me last night. It's still not up on the site either. No changelog.

post #3608 of 5213 Old 12-10-2013, 01:34 PM

Liked: 14
Quote:

For starters, turn all of the processing off. All the noise reduction, frame interpolation, dynamic black and white settings, all of it except for cinema black. All of those settings can create artifacts and fluctuations. Now put in a bluray and see how things look. I wouldn't use anything else when determining picture quality. This set (along with others I have tried) are sensitive to source material, especially at larger sizes.
This made a pretty big difference for me with DirecTv input. Usually I turn all that stuff off, but had been messing with it to try and get rid of a little cloud near the bottom if the screen goes black(eco sensor with min backlight of 2 actually seemed to really help with that problem). I like the Dynamic Contrast for certain things and had it on "Low." Turning it off made the faces on Sport Center go from sorta pasty to very clear. Also turned off AMP, well, pretty much everything but CinemaBlack. Overall picture seems more clear for lower quality source material.
post #3609 of 5213 Old 12-10-2013, 01:50 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 111
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgh26 View Post

FYI Samsung NEVER accurately documents their firmware update changes/improvements. From early on, we have seen the mostly the same comments from one release to another. Anybody waiting to get the page description for Ver 1118 update will surely be disappointed unless Samsung finally starts to truely do what they should With their lack of documentation to their own support people as well as the rest of us owers, this really needs to be addressed. Some of us have complained to their support groups about this topic and have heard the BS about getting the feed back to upper management with promises of better documentation in future releases but that NEVER seems to happen for some reason. On the bright side, Ver 1117 has really shined on my TV for picture quality/Color Pop and the little bugs remaining in the Smart Hub really aren't a big deal for me. 3D & Blu-ray are KILLER GREAT!!!!! I'm not upgrading after reading some of the early comments. I don't want to go backwards & have viewed every firmware version release for the F7100 from early on.... Ver 1117 just works for the most part & I'm not sure due to the complex nature of the smart platforrm, they will ever get 100% bug free.

I'm also planning to stay with fw. ver. 1117 -

It does seem like people are happy with fw. ver. 1118, so far.

I'll wait to see how other owners react to the update.
Brettzies likes this.
post #3610 of 5213 Old 12-10-2013, 01:58 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 111
Quote:

So I've had this TV for a couple weeks now, 65 inch version. For starters, turn all of the processing off. All the noise reduction, frame interpolation, dynamic black and white settings, all of it except for cinema black. I'm guessing most of the poor picture and movement complaints are due to compressed cable/satellite signals. My directv shows obvious artifacts and crappy picture on my TV. I know this is due to signal, not the TV. So far, I am extremely impressed with this set and it's far, far better than most of the others I have tried.

+1, I also have DirecTV and a few channels have macroblocking and artifacts due to the MPEG compression and low bandwidth.

3 years ago DirecTV looked almost perfect....now its HD-Lite:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HD_Lite
post #3611 of 5213 Old 12-10-2013, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PiratesCove View Post

I'm also planning to stay with fw. ver. 1117 -

It does seem like people are happy with fw. ver. 1118, so far.

I'll wait to see how other owners react to the update.

Yeah i'm fine with v1118. Honestly, I couldn't tell any picture quality differences since I bought the TV and updated to v1116. Can't speak to any Smart Hub issues/fixes since I don't use any of that crap at all, but normal TV operation is exactly the same, no problems. 

post #3612 of 5213 Old 12-10-2013, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PiratesCove View Post

+1, I also have DirecTV and a few channels have macroblocking and artifacts due to the MPEG compression and low bandwidth.

3 years ago DirecTV looked almost perfect....now its HD-Lite:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HD_Lite

Be glad you aren't stuck with AT&T Uverse like me for a few more months.
post #3613 of 5213 Old 12-10-2013, 04:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brettzies View Post

Maybe try connecting to a different hdmi port on the tv? I have mine going into hdmi3 via a DenonAVR. The Denon is set to Expanded(0-255). Even if I change that to (16-235) it looks the same and doesn't appear to be washed out. I will say that Sports Center doesn't look that great where as the local CBS news(1080i) looks pretty fantastic for the anchors. I definitely do not feel like it's washed out on mine, not like if the PS3 is set different from the tv. Otherwise, not sure what else to suggest. My Directv Receiver doesn't really have any color options that I have found, just video resolutions which I have them all checked.
I have tried different ports and have literally changed the settings over 100 times. It has consumed me. I played with the hdmi black on the ps3 and the difference when they don't match is what my tv looks like all the time on directv. I paid a lot for the tv and I watch blu rays of course but the majority of the time I use it to watch tv. I feel like there has to be a way around that setting being grayed out. In my opinon I feel as I should be able to change any setting I want no matter what the tv "thinks". I called samsung and they didn't have a clue so frustrating. Is there any way to trick the tv and opening up that option? I'm at my wits end and don't know what else to do but deal with a subpar picture. I have an old vizio in the garage that is 6+ years old and it has much brighter dark vibrant colors.
post #3614 of 5213 Old 12-10-2013, 04:52 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 78
Has anyone had any luck vertical banding and terrible off angle viewing with a panel replacement from Samsung? I am currently playing the last of us at the moment and the vertical banding in the darker areas of the game are terrible top to bottom gray splotches. When you pan the camera it only gets worse.
post #3615 of 5213 Old 12-10-2013, 05:01 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by theDude003 View Post

I have tried different ports and have literally changed the settings over 100 times. It has consumed me. I played with the hdmi black on the ps3 and the difference when they don't match is what my tv looks like all the time on directv. I paid a lot for the tv and I watch blu rays of course but the majority of the time I use it to watch tv. I feel like there has to be a way around that setting being grayed out. In my opinon I feel as I should be able to change any setting I want no matter what the tv "thinks". I called samsung and they didn't have a clue so frustrating. Is there any way to trick the tv and opening up that option? I'm at my wits end and don't know what else to do but deal with a subpar picture. I have an old vizio in the garage that is 6+ years old and it has much brighter dark vibrant colors.

The options available are a result of the signal being fed. Just like film mode is only available with interlaced signals, hdmi black level is only available with certain sources. (I think it has something to do with it being a computer type source which is why the PS 3 allows it but others don't). I've had various tvs and projectors and a they all behave the same way.

post #3616 of 5213 Old 12-10-2013, 05:02 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Shankenstein View Post

Has anyone had any luck vertical banding and terrible off angle viewing with a panel replacement from Samsung? I am currently playing the last of us at the moment and the vertical banding in the darker areas of the game are terrible top to bottom gray splotches. When you pan the camera it only gets worse.
What picture mode are you using?

post #3617 of 5213 Old 12-10-2013, 05:22 PM

Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Shankenstein View Post

Panel types and replacing a panel are notoriously subjective issues so take if w a grain of salt .... But fwiw I had some banding on my Sharp (AH01) panel and swapped to get a TH02 ( sammy) panel which had no banding but slight clouding ...not noticeable unless i "look" for it .I posted pix of both panels several pages ago...Good Luck!!
post #3618 of 5213 Old 12-10-2013, 07:32 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

What picture mode are you using?
For film based content movie with pirates setting, standard for gaming. It is across all content.
post #3619 of 5213 Old 12-10-2013, 08:20 PM

Folks, how do i do a full TV reset? I do not see the option in my menu. is there some key combination?

post #3620 of 5213 Old 12-10-2013, 09:09 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Zaaaaayyyy View Post

Tried updating and says internet is unstable and my connection is working anyone else having this problem?
Tried over and over again. First time tv won't let me update. Seeing what your seeing.
post #3621 of 5213 Old 12-10-2013, 09:17 PM

Liked: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by msny View Post

I would say its not really a good idea to upgrade to every version released unless they indicate a major bug fix.

Since my TV came with v1111 going to v1117 seemed like a good idea.

What one needs to realize is that an incremental upgrade may fix some minor issue and break something else
taken care of previously or see if they document a major fix is included.

So my rule of thumb on this, just like on my home built computer, I will skip a few upgrades before going after another one.

I really like your rule of thumb on this. My last several firmware updates have been driven by a couple of Smart Hub bugs that hopefully would get resolved at some point. The picture quality on my TV has not been an issue for several versions now. Well that was my thinking but after so many updates, the Smart Hub bugs still remain. They are really no big deal so at this point, I'll just read what others are discovering here & maybe down the road, if & when a major improvement occures then I go for the latest firmware version. It's really sad to not have a clue what each update is correcting due to Samsung's lack of firmware update documentation. So it's hard to deturmine when a "major bug fix" has been provided. It's a good thing this Forum exists!!!biggrin.gif
post #3622 of 5213 Old 12-10-2013, 09:39 PM

Liked: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by someuser25 View Post

Folks, how do i do a full TV reset? I do not see the option in my menu. is there some key combination?

For a easy way to reset the TV without entering the Service Menu, just press the Menu Button on the remote. Select the "Support" Menu > Select "Self Diagnosis" > Scroll down & Select "Reset". Thats it! This takes you back to the Welcome Screen you saw when you turned On the TV the 1st time. You WILL have to re-program all your picture settings for each input as well as sound, Smart Hub, etc.
post #3623 of 5213 Old 12-10-2013, 11:01 PM

Absolutely loving this TV.

post #3624 of 5213 Old 12-11-2013, 04:27 AM

Yes Samsung needs to announce what is fixed in any release.
A lot of manufactures also list what there working on for the next release and submit a list of reported "bugs"..

It all has to do with helping the customer experience, and coming back for the next product.
post #3625 of 5213 Old 12-11-2013, 05:53 AM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by msny View Post

Yes Samsung needs to announce what is fixed in any release.
A lot of manufactures also list what there working on for the next release and submit a list of reported "bugs"..

It all has to do with helping the customer experience, and coming back for the next product.

Samsung does put out release notes for each firmware update. The problem is they are exactly the same every single time, and don't really tell us anything.

Stuck up, half witted, scruffy looking, nerf herder.
Double True!
post #3626 of 5213 Old 12-11-2013, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theDude003 View Post

Hey bud, I think I have the answer you are looking for. Hdmi black level is only available when the tv is being fed an RGB signal. You can change this in your cable boxes system menu. Hdmi black will be greyed out when the source is in ycbcr color format. I had to change this on my time warner cable box as well. Hope this helps.

Josh
post #3627 of 5213 Old 12-11-2013, 10:04 AM

I hung my Sammy 65F7050 with a Full Motion bracket but the cable are not long enough. Does anyone know where I can find the IR cable extender? I can't find one at monoprice. Can I simply use a 2.5 mm mono headphone plug extender? Also, how does the HDMI with ethernet work? I plan on hooking up the HDMI to my Pioneer 1021 receiver. Would it provide my receiver with internet? Also, I still can't figure out this ARC with my Pioneer 1021 because pass though HDMI hardly ever pops up when I turn the TV and receiver on. Sorry for all the questions!
post #3628 of 5213 Old 12-11-2013, 10:39 AM

Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wirth05 View Post

Hey bud, I think I have the answer you are looking for. Hdmi black level is only available when the tv is being fed an RGB signal. You can change this in your cable boxes system menu. Hdmi black will be greyed out when the source is in ycbcr color format. I had to change this on my time warner cable box as well. Hope this helps.

Josh
does att Uverse have this in the menu options??
post #3629 of 5213 Old 12-11-2013, 10:53 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4top455 View Post

Panel types and replacing a panel are notoriously subjective issues so take if w a grain of salt .... But fwiw I had some banding on my Sharp (AH01) panel and swapped to get a TH02 ( sammy) panel which had no banding but slight clouding ...not noticeable unless i "look" for it .I posted pix of both panels several pages ago...Good Luck!!
I have a TD01 panel on my 46". Samsung wants to set up a panel replacement for the TV. My question is would it be better to risk a panel replacement or simply exchange for the same model and forgo the service call?
post #3630 of 5213 Old 12-11-2013, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by macmane View Post

does att Uverse have this in the menu options??

It definitely should...you can even change between rgb and ycbcr on xbox 360 etc...

To access the system menu on my set top box (motorola) turn the cable box off and immediately press the menu button on the cable remote. The select hdmi settings...
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Samsung Un60f7100 60 Inch 3d Ultra Slim Smart Led Hdtv , Samsung Un46f8000 46 Inch 3d Ultra Slim Smart Led Hdtv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page