Forum Jump: 

post #3691 of 5357 Old 12-14-2013, 05:25 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by livejazzD View Post

Found another "maybe" on preventing the TV from controlling the Receiver's input:

The receiver manual includes a setting for "HDMI Control" under "Network Standby" in the home menu. 

Per the manual: "You must adjust the setting of this receiver as well as the connected Control with HDMI-compatible components in order to make use of the Control with HDMI function." ... "When the unit's power is turned off and you have a supported source begin playback while using the Control with HDMI function, the audio and video outputs from the HDMI connection are output from the TV."

Well that's clear as mud, but I would imagine Samsung's "Anynet" = "Control with HDMI." So if this is turned on in the receiver, it might be the culprit. I thought this receiver setting was only for allowing passthrough, but it sounds like this subsetting might also have to do with the issue.

It would really help if the manual didn't describe two settings in almost exactly the same way. 

I'll try it this evening!
Worth a try. But I think the setting has to do with allowing HDMI control, that is when you turn your TV on, the receiver will turn on as well. It should also allow the receiver to get the AV signal back from the TV to the receiver through the same HDMI cable. I am afraid that if you turn this off, then you won't be able to get sound from the Smart Hub apps back up the HDMI cable to the receiver. However, you have nothing to loose. I believe persistence pays off. Look how many tries it took Thomas Edison to invent the electric light bulb. I am rooting for you:)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3692 of 5357 Old 12-14-2013, 06:07 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I've downloaded and installed 1118 via Ethernet connection fine last night. Can't notice differences as of yet tho.
post #3693 of 5357 Old 12-14-2013, 07:48 AM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wirth05 View Post

I'm still having issues updating to firmware 1118. At first it would immediately say connection is unstable and would stop. For the last two days the download has started and gets to 59% everytime and then says the connection is unstable and stops. My internet is dependable, I play games online everyday with no issues, netflix, etc... Any ideas?

Wirth05 Me too wouldn't connect at first now stops at exactly 59% every time
I ran a speed test from the browser and I'm getting get my max 30mb down.
I was going to try a full reset Tv reset but haven't had time yet.

Mad
post #3694 of 5357 Old 12-14-2013, 08:07 AM

I had the same issue. What I did was reset the internet on the Tv  re install Wifi password.  Then install 1118. Try this to see if it works for you.  Hope it helps. 

post #3695 of 5357 Old 12-14-2013, 08:27 AM

Liked: 10
I had to reset my TV to factory settings to get ver. 1118 to install.
post #3696 of 5357 Old 12-14-2013, 08:36 AM

Here what I notice on my tv from the 1118 update. The pq is the same as 1117.  Internet on the tv is a little faster, remote is smoother, cm is a lot better, wifi does not drop out or loose any account info nor does it stop in the middle of the movie any more, usb movies / video is faster play,(i notice slight change in audio could just be my ears lol) All the issue ive had had on the tv are fix as of now crossing my fingers.  Also make sure you reset you tv after update and start fresh.  If you are using firmware 1117 and do not have any issue.  I would not update to 1118 as it may cause issue you didn't have before.  Also I think any update you do threw the tv is a minor update major update get done threw the usb.  I let you guys know if I notice any thing else on the 1118 update hope this info helps

emileg likes this.
post #3697 of 5357 Old 12-14-2013, 08:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by luislou View Post

I had the same issue. What I did was reset the internet on the Tv  re install Wifi password.  Then install 1118. Try this to see if it works for you.  Hope it helps. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by luislou View Post

Here what I notice on my tv from the 1118 update. The pq is the same as 1117.  Internet on the tv is a little faster, remote is smoother, cm is a lot better, wifi does not drop out or loose any account info nor does it stop in the middle of the movie any more, usb movies / video is faster play,(i notice slight change in audio could just be my ears lol) All the issue ive had had on the tv are fix as of now crossing my fingers.  Also make sure you reset you tv after update and start fresh.  If you are using firmware 1117 and do not have any issue.  I would not update to 1118 as it may cause issue you didn't have before.  Also I think any update you do threw the tv is a minor update major update get done threw the usb.  I let you guys know if I notice any thing else on the 1118 update hope this info helps
Welcome to AVS Forum. Congratulations on your first two posts and making them so informative to our thread's members.
post #3698 of 5357 Old 12-14-2013, 08:50 AM

I too have the same issues with upgrade to ver 1118.  Stops at 59%.

Not sure it is worth the hassle to upgrade to ver 1118 if I have to do a reset.

post #3699 of 5357 Old 12-14-2013, 08:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 122
Ok, so I'm expecting delivery of my set to be set up this week. I wasn't sure how this was going to play out but I think I've figured out a way to turn this into a Christmas present for the family. I'm doing some work in the basement where set will go so putting up a tarp to hide it will be easy. I'd like to have it on and ready for them to "find" on Christmas morning. I thought maybe I'd purchase Oz the Great and Powerful 3D version just to have something cued up for that feature. Anyone thoughts about this movie or any other for 3D demo?
post #3700 of 5357 Old 12-14-2013, 10:48 AM

OK, so I pulled trigger on a 65" f7100. For a frame of reference, I've had a Samsung 55C650 in my HT system for 3 years now. The picture quality of that tv has been amazing since day one, with minor tweaks and no calibration. HD on the C650 is glorious, whether cable TV or BR. SD is pretty bad, but that seems to be true of most every LCD/LED TV. We decided to move the c650 into the den and get a larger tv for the HT. I dropped by BB many times over the past few months but, to be honest, I've not seen any tv produce the quality and detail of my c650. Not even the F8000 or the F8500 plasma. After reading 100's and 100's of reviews, I decided to give the 65f7100 a chance.

Bottom line, out of the box, comparatively disappointing. Exactly what I saw at BB. Not a bad picture, and I can probably get used to it, but nowhere near the detail found in my older tv (for example, faces have no detail), whereas my c650 showed even the pores in faces) and a few other problems I need to resolve if possible (macro blocking, mottling and graininess in dark scenes, some blurring then clearing when moving from scene to scene, etc). I upgraded to firmware 1118 soon after startup. I have extensively tweaked settings, but not to the extent of PiratesCove, etc. I will try these settings, and may also go for a pro calibration. Also, it seems like I need to consider a few other tweaks, but would like advice on following to start:

1. Should I use screen fit instead of 16:9?
  2. Should I do a full reset since I updated firmware?
  3. Should I turn dynamic contrast off?
  4. Does it matter what hdmi input I use? (Coming from Krell S1200 processor without ARC)

Any other settings I should consider changing /playing with? Thanks so much for any help you can provide.
post #3701 of 5357 Old 12-14-2013, 11:07 AM

Thank you hope I can be some help

post #3702 of 5357 Old 12-14-2013, 11:35 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffkad View Post

OK, so I pulled trigger on a 65" f7100. For a frame of reference, I've had a Samsung 55C650 in my HT system for 3 years now. The picture quality of that tv has been amazing since day one, with minor tweaks and no calibration. HD on the C650 is glorious, whether cable TV or BR. SD is pretty bad, but that seems to be true of most every LCD/LED TV. We decided to move the c650 into the den and get a larger tv for the HT. I dropped by BB many times over the past few months but, to be honest, I've not seen any tv produce the quality and detail of my c650. Not even the F8000 or the F8500 plasma. After reading 100's and 100's of reviews, I decided to give the 65f7100 a chance.

Bottom line, out of the box, comparatively disappointing. Exactly what I saw at BB. Not a bad picture, and I can probably get used to it, but nowhere near the detail found in my older tv (for example, faces have no detail), whereas my c650 showed even the pores in faces) and a few other problems I need to resolve if possible (macro blocking, mottling and graininess in dark scenes, some blurring then clearing when moving from scene to scene, etc). I upgraded to firmware 1118 soon after startup. I have extensively tweaked settings, but not to the extent of PiratesCove, etc. I will try these settings, and may also go for a pro calibration. Also, it seems like I need to consider a few other tweaks, but would like advice on following to start:

4. Does it matter what hdmi input I use? (Coming from Krell S1200 processor without ARC)

Any other settings I should consider changing /playing with? Thanks so much for any help you can provide.
I have the 60 inch and I have played around with many settings and still do to this day but my pq is amazing to me now. Yes I have dynamic contrast on low. I have my screen at 16:9 I use HDMI slot 1 for my stb box. I also use the audioquest HDMI cables for the tv and for my ps4 and I use standard mode and yes u should do a full reset after a firmware update.
post #3703 of 5357 Old 12-14-2013, 11:39 AM

Quote:

and since then i have a very clear picture and I see the pores u speak of too Lol I keep trying to add and find different things to make my picture more clear and defined and those audioquest cables gives me an amazing picture
post #3704 of 5357 Old 12-14-2013, 12:33 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Tried factory reset and switching wireless APs, update to firmware 1118 still fails every time at 59%.
I noticed the update procedure during the post-reset initial setup always fails to even start.
post #3705 of 5357 Old 12-14-2013, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by macmane View Post

and since then i have a very clear picture and I see the pores u speak of too Lol I keep trying to add and find different things to make my picture more clear and defined and those audioquest cables gives me an amazing picture

Thanks macmane. I do use AQ cables from both the cable box and the oppo bdp95 into the Krell, and from Krell into the tv. I will do the reset soon. Are there particular/specific adjustments you (or anyone else) have made that specifically addressed/improved image detail? This is my biggest gripe at the moment, and contrast, sharpness, etc, are not making any improvement. I want my pores and beads of sweat back, lol!
post #3706 of 5357 Old 12-14-2013, 02:27 PM

I have three UN32F5500 TVs, which I am having the same issue with. It will either not start to download, or stop 59%. I just kept trying at numerous times and finally have two of them updated. The third one I have yet to get to go past 59%.

I wonder if this has anything to do with the fact that it is not yet on the Samsung web site?
post #3707 of 5357 Old 12-14-2013, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rurifan View Post

Tried factory reset and switching wireless APs, update to firmware 1118 still fails every time at 59%.
I noticed the update procedure during the post-reset initial setup always fails to even start.
Maybe we need to wait for firmware version 1119.
post #3708 of 5357 Old 12-14-2013, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemesis296 View Post

I recently bought a 46" F7100 from Best Buy, and I am having the most difficult time getting the smart remote to control my Dish Network DVR set top box. I've tried calling Samsung support and Dish Network and neither party has been very helpful with solving my problem. I have the ViP722k DVR from Dish Network, and I have the IR Blaster plugged into the back of the TV. No matter if I use the Universal Remote setup or the On TV Settings, I can't get the TV remote to control my box. It's really frustrating because the Smart Hub definitely can read the programming from Dish Network and it lets me pick shows to watch, but the changing of the channels just doesn't work.

Has anyone managed to get this TV working with a ViP722k DVR from Dish Network? I asked Samsung for a list of compatible devices which they replied "The 2013 lineup of Smart TVs is still very much in a trial and error state for various devices. Your device may not be compatible." If the model number shows up when I search for it, I'm assuming that means it should be compatible. Looking for any help with this situation. The Smart capabilities of this TV are pretty useless to me without being able to change the channel on my Dish box.

Thanks for the help!

- Nemesis

Nemesis,

Did you ever get this to work? I am having the same issues with my new TV.

Thanks,
Mike
post #3709 of 5357 Old 12-14-2013, 04:13 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:

Thanks macmane. I do use AQ cables from both the cable box and the oppo bdp95 into the Krell, and from Krell into the tv. I will do the reset soon. Are there particular/specific adjustments you (or anyone else) have made that specifically addressed/improved image detail? This is my biggest gripe at the moment, and contrast, sharpness, etc, are not making any improvement. I want my pores and beads of sweat back, lol!

Did you turn off the digital clean view and the mpeg noise filter?

post #3710 of 5357 Old 12-14-2013, 04:58 PM

Liked: 14
Quote:

Bottom line, out of the box, comparatively disappointing. Exactly what I saw at BB. Not a bad picture, and I can probably get used to it, but nowhere near the detail found in my older tv (for example, faces have no detail), whereas my c650 showed even the pores in faces) and a few other problems I need to resolve if possible (macro blocking, mottling and graininess in dark scenes, some blurring then clearing when moving from scene to scene, etc). I upgraded to firmware 1118 soon after startup.

I had a similar experience coming from a dead sony 60nx720 with directv only. Other inputs are excellent. Xbox one and ps3 bluray. I'm also on a 65F7100 v1118.

One thing I did to improve the picture quality of directv was turn off dynamic contrast. Even on low it made face detail on most channels look pasty. For dtv I like to use standard mode so I can calibrate movie mode for blurays. Anyway, I have normal contrast all the way down to 70 and pumped backlight up to 14, and brightness at 40. I also have the Eco sensor on with min backlight of 7. I'm also using cinema black on high, and black tone to darkest.

These settings are mostly to counter flashlighting, a minor cloud, and the pasty face situation. This May or may not be too dark or not contrasty enough for most people. On my panel, I'm pretty happy with it. I know I can pump the contrast more, but I want to see how these settings play put. I get nice inky blacks with no flashlighting or clouds, even when the screen goes fully black. On the downside, I can notice the micro dimming kick in every now and then as well as white text dim when the screen is black. Turning off the Eco sensor would probably eliminate that to some degree, but it really hasn't been distracting to me.

.brett
post #3711 of 5357 Old 12-14-2013, 06:17 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Quote:

A few have responded already but in regards to 16:9, I would use Screen Fit to accurately display the best detailed picture (one to one ratio) since 16X9 very slightly enlarges the entire screen image. Setting the Screen Size to16X9 comes in handy when using the Screen Fit Setting, somtimes the TV picture may display horzontal lines (noise) along the very top & bottom borders of the viewing area on the screen. Changing to the 16X9 Setting will increase picture size (height & width) a tiny amount just positioning the border noise outside the viewing area when set to16X9 screen size which hides this pretty common source discrepancy. I also use the 16X9 setting for all Letter Box material for slightly narrower Top & Bottom black bars since the viewing area is slightly inlarged. I hope this helps....
post #3712 of 5357 Old 12-14-2013, 08:33 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

I finally upgraded to 1117 firmware version and it definitely has improved the picture quality, specially the side angle viewing have improved a lot.

One problem I am still having and that bothering me is, the scenes that are not very bright, still shows some haziness - Any inputs on how can I reduce is, any specific setting I should change that may help?

I have simple connection, i.e my Verizon set top box is directly plugged in to hdmi1 port and that's it...no gaming console or any receiver and blu ray player.

I tried different settings posted here, but I think most of them are for xbox or any other combination of systems...if anyone has simple one to one setting between STB and TV then please share the setting.

Thanks.

post #3713 of 5357 Old 12-14-2013, 10:37 PM

Liked: 29
Quote:

If you want a better picture, then buy a higher end TV. Audioquest snake oil isn't any better than any other good quality HDMI cable. If you want proof, have a friend do an A / B "blind" comparison between Audioscam and a decent Monoprice or Blue Jeans cable. Your picture will be identical, unless the cable is defective.
post #3714 of 5357 Old 12-14-2013, 11:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPowers View Post

If you want a better picture, then buy a higher end TV. Audioquest snake oil isn't any better than any other good quality HDMI cable. If you want proof, have a friend do an A / B "blind" comparison between Audioscam and a decent Monoprice or Blue Jeans cable. Your picture will be identical, unless the cable is defective.
ha funny u say that because I was the same as u in regards to cables and I along with a few friends did the good old blind eye test and we all except for one person could tell the difference as a matter of fact my cousin thought I bought a new tv but to each is own Lol
post #3715 of 5357 Old 12-15-2013, 03:52 AM

Liked: 14
Quote:

You have to try a lot of settings to find what works best for your TV. You should always be able to get great detail, as long as the source is sending it. Mine looks best when the cable box settings have 720p turned off and sending 1080i through. 480 i & 480p don't look very good no matter what else I do. On the TV, I get the best detail with digital clean view on low and the sharpness cranked up (currently at 90). It' almost like you can see inside peoples pores on some shows. But you won't get this much detail on everything, not even all blu-rays. I make my adjustments while watching something that looks good (like some of the news broadcast), and from my seating distance.Without the DCV on low I get graininess in the sharpness, even down to 0. Also check different modes after every update. Mine looked best on movie mode till the last update, now it looks best on standard. Also brightness, contrast and color can effect detail greatly. I am able to run contrast at 100 without loosing detail on this firmware. Turn it up till you loose detail in whites, then back it down till you get detail back. Same with color. For inky blacks, I run Black tone on Darkest. Then your backlight and brightness (or conbination of) should be adjusted for black detail. This is going to look best in a somewhat dim room. Look for shows with closeups of mans black suit and you shoul be able to see the lines of his lapel, buttons etc.... You may loose some dark detail in a couple of movies, like dark night, but It will look great for 99% of your viewing (at least for me). Hope this helps, you miliage may vary.smile.gif
WiSH2oo0 likes this.
post #3716 of 5357 Old 12-15-2013, 06:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mettech View Post

I too have the same issues with upgrade to ver 1118.  Stops at 59%.

Not sure it is worth the hassle to upgrade to ver 1118 if I have to do a reset.

The old saying "if it ain't broke why fix it?" comes into play
If you do have issues wait a couple of upgrades before you do it.
Unless its some kind of major fix, an incremental may do little to nothing and break something already fixed.

I'm at v1117 and plan to stay there for a while.
post #3717 of 5357 Old 12-15-2013, 06:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madb View Post

Wirth05 Me too wouldn't connect at first now stops at exactly 59% every time
I ran a speed test from the browser and I'm getting get my max 30mb down.
I was going to try a full reset Tv reset but haven't had time yet.

Since multiple users have the exact same issue at 59%, sounds to me like an issue with Samsung web site.
post #3718 of 5357 Old 12-15-2013, 06:20 AM

Quote:

Out of the box last week my set was terrible also, washed out picture and faces looked all white.

I suggest you use PirateCoves full calibration set then watch it for while.
Then tweak things from there. My only change was to go with a backlight of 10 vs 14.

What size screen do you have?
post #3719 of 5357 Old 12-15-2013, 08:32 AM

I updated to 1118 with no issues at all I wonder why everyone else is having a problem with downloading it
post #3720 of 5357 Old 12-15-2013, 08:42 AM

Quote:

I updated to 1118 with no issues at all I wonder why everyone else is having a problem with downloading it

Do you know how large the file was in bytes?
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Samsung Un60f7100 60 Inch 3d Ultra Slim Smart Led Hdtv , Samsung Un46f8000 46 Inch 3d Ultra Slim Smart Led Hdtv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page