Official Samsung UNXXF7100 Owners Thread - Page 130 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #3871 of 5359 Old 12-21-2013, 01:48 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 16

Micro dimming makes the face little darker,  I am comparing this with my 55" 6300 next to it, micro dimming gives black and white more depth, but while watching movies, I notice people faces are little darker compare to 6300, is there a way to turn off the micro dimming? If not, is there a way to brighten up the people faces little bit?

I got an excellent price on 55 F7100, in my opinion the picture quality on Blu Ray movies are identical between 6300 & 7100, I would say 6300 adds more brightness and pop, just my opinion

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3872 of 5359 Old 12-21-2013, 04:15 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 123
I realize now that for DirecTV (1080i sources) its better to have:

Digital Clean View set to Off

MPEG Noise Filter set to Low

Film Mode on Auto 2 most of the time, unless its HD Net Movies, MGM HD or Sony Movie Channel like-channels ( where Auto 1 is better).

Auto Motion Plus set to Custom - Blur Reduction 10 and Judder Reduction 0 with LED Clear Motion: On.

This is the best way to reduce artifacts, pixelation the "soap-opera-effect" and MPEG Compression- especially for fast motion scenes.
Pittspgh likes this.
post #3873 of 5359 Old 12-21-2013, 08:22 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by PiratesCove View Post

I realize now that for DirecTV (1080i sources) its a must to have:

Digital Clean View set to Low

MPEG Noise Filter set to Low

Film Mode on Auto 2 most of the time, unless its HD Net Movies, MGM HD or Sony Movie Channel like-channels ( where Auto 1 is better).

Auto Motion Plus set to Custom - Blur Reduction 10 and Judder Reduction 0 with LED Clear Motion: On.

This is the only way to reduce artifacts, macroblocking the "soap-opera-effect" and MPEG Compression- especially for fast motion scenes.
I actually have found that I prefer

Dig clean view off
Mpeg NR off
Film mode Auto 1 (read in another thread it is actually best even though it defaults to auto 2)
Auto motion clear (virtually no soa)
Sharpness 10

Using the clean view and Mpeg NR kill my detail and make it look like a highly compressed file. Blurry, etc. I tried it with several channels and it looks better to me turned off.

post #3874 of 5359 Old 12-21-2013, 10:28 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by missourian View Post

Mine came with 16 upgraded to 18, samsung is very poor and they wont provide any firmware notes on what they fixed, general consensus is 17 & 18 improved the picture quality
Take that "consensus" with a grain of salt; people here are munching on a bag of placebos. smile.gif I compare the exact same content all the time on my HTPC and I haven't seen a change in picture quality from a firmware update in recent memory.
post #3875 of 5359 Old 12-21-2013, 10:55 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by rurifan View Post

Take that "consensus" with a grain of salt; people here are munching on a bag of placebos. smile.gif I compare the exact same content all the time on my HTPC and I haven't seen a change in picture quality from a firmware update in recent memory.
yea I don't notice a difference between 1117 n 1118
post #3876 of 5359 Old 12-22-2013, 12:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjsiv View Post

Dig clean view off
Mpeg NR off
Film mode Auto 1 (read in another thread it is actually best even though it defaults to auto 2)
Sharpness 10

Using the clean view and Mpeg NR kill my detail and make it look like a highly compressed file. Blurry, etc. I tried it with several channels and it looks better to me turned off.

I tried this settings at least 1080i and 720p TV channels are much better , I will play with it somemore

post #3877 of 5359 Old 12-22-2013, 06:09 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjsiv View Post

Dig clean view off
Mpeg NR off
Sharpness 10

I have experimented with Dig Clean View off, auto and low & MPEG NR off, auto and low.

For DirecTV, only MPEG NR low gives an problem-free image on all types of channels- especially fast moving scenes.

Dig Clean View can cause loss of detail, so off would be better.

Auto 1 gives more resolution for films, but can cause stuttering with Auto Motion Plus (AMP).

AMP Clear still has a little soap-opera effect, its there- the judder is being reduced.

Bottom line is- use what works for you.
emileg likes this.
post #3878 of 5359 Old 12-22-2013, 07:19 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
I had a problem When I turned the tv on this morning . The image was very dark like the back lighting was not working. I tried several channels with no change. So I turned it off and back on a minute later and it was fine.

Has anyone else experienced this or know what that was all about .
post #3879 of 5359 Old 12-22-2013, 07:50 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I have experimented with Dig Clean View off, auto and low & MPEG NR off, auto and low.

For DirecTV, only MPEG NR low gives an problem-free image on all types of channels- especially fast moving scenes.

Dig Clean View can cause loss of detail, so off would be better.

Auto 1 gives more resolution for films, but can cause stuttering with Auto Motion Plus (AMP).

AMP Clear still has a little soap-opera effect, its there- the judder is being reduced.

Bottom line is- use what works for you.

I was curious as to what your video and tv resolutions were set at on your direct tv box. My video is off - stretch - gray. My tv res. settings are just the 1080i and 1080p boxes checked.

Prior to this tv all the boxes were checked in the tv resolutions menu. Someone told me to change them to above the other day. Also, my power saving option is ON in the direct tv option. Thanks
post #3880 of 5359 Old 12-22-2013, 07:59 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by slow ride View Post

I was curious as to what your video and tv resolutions were set at on your direct tv box. My video is off - stretch - gray. My tv res. settings are just the 1080i and 1080p boxes checked.

Prior to this tv all the boxes were checked in the tv resolutions menu. Someone told me to change them to above the other day. Also, my power saving option is ON in the direct tv option. Thanks

I have Native: Off, Screen Format: Pillar Box, and Bar Color: Black.

I have all the TV Resolutions checked to test Native and the F7100's upscaling (not that good).

I have Power Savings : On.

Channel 125 is good to test 1080p.

I also use Picture Size: Screen Fit in the F7100's settings.
post #3881 of 5359 Old 12-22-2013, 08:34 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I have Native: Off, Screen Format: Pillar Box, and Bar Color: Black.

I have all the TV Resolutions checked to test Native and the F7100's upscaling (not that good).

I have Power Savings : On.

Channel 125 is good to test 1080p.

I also use Picture Size: Screen Fit in the F7100's settings.

What is the difference with having just 1080i and 1080p boxes checked ( instead of all resolutions options checked like yours)

Also, I had 16.9 selected on the 7100. You have screen fit. What's the difference ? Oh and pillar vs stretch and black vs gray? Thanks again ! 😊
post #3882 of 5359 Old 12-22-2013, 08:36 AM

Quote:

I tried to quote DSKrek here but having problems with my computer. Anyways, # 2 applies to me as well. I did turn up the color quite a bit on pirates settings. It helped some with the wash out.
Msny...I could not find your calibrations. Are they in this thread? Thanks

Try here.

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1470900/official-samsung-unxxf7100-owners-thread/3630#post_24064681
post #3883 of 5359 Old 12-22-2013, 09:11 AM
Advanced Member

Thanks. I will check them out. IN the meantime I need to adjust my whites. There is way too much pink tones in them. Any suggestions. They are set to pirates white settings. Thanks
post #3884 of 5359 Old 12-22-2013, 09:23 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

What is the difference with having just 1080i and 1080p boxes checked ( instead of all resolutions options checked like yours)

Also, I had 16.9 selected on the 7100. You have screen fit. What's the difference ? Oh and pillar vs stretch and black vs gray? Thanks again ! 😊

Screen Fit is a 1:1 pixel mapping it eliminates overscan: http://www.engadget.com/2010/05/27/hd-101-overscan-and-why-all-tvs-do-it/

The other resolution boxes checked gives the option to use Native and the TV will do the upscaling: http://www.techradar.com/us/news/television/everything-you-need-to-know-about-upscaling-484345

I like Pillar Box to keep the original aspect ratio of 4:3 and Black is just a preference.

The gray option is there for Plasmas to prevent image retention/ burn-in.
post #3885 of 5359 Old 12-22-2013, 09:58 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Heres a relatively informative post from a few years ago on the difference between Auto1 and Auto2 film modes if anyone cares to read it.

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1271384/the-difference-between-samsung-film-modes

post #3886 of 5359 Old 12-22-2013, 10:01 AM

Quote:

Screen Fit is a 1:1 pixel mapping it eliminates overscan: http://www.engadget.com/2010/05/27/hd-101-overscan-and-why-all-tvs-do-it/

The other resolution boxes checked gives the option to use Native and the TV will do the upscaling: http://www.techradar.com/us/news/television/everything-you-need-to-know-about-upscaling-484345

I like Pillar Box to keep the original aspect ratio of 4:3 and Black is just a preference.

I have found that changing to Native mode for Smart Hub TV apps like YouTube TV, HBO Go
and Netflix is really the way to go for me. The only thing I was thinking of doing was to change the
Auto filters around and see if there were any changes, other then that my picture is superb.

I'm still having sound issues with the Samrt Hub apps. It seems like we have to turn it
way up to get any volume through the TV speakers.

So I still have to cable my Yamaha A/V and get that going.
post #3887 of 5359 Old 12-22-2013, 10:59 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

What would be the Difference between pillar box and Original format ? This only effects older shows that need to be stretched, right ?
post #3888 of 5359 Old 12-22-2013, 11:19 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10

Quick questions guys - did anyone get free subscription for netflix with recent purchase of F7100?

post #3889 of 5359 Old 12-22-2013, 01:02 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by msny View Post

I have found that changing to Native mode for Smart Hub TV apps like YouTube TV, HBO Go
and Netflix is really the way to go for me.

I was commenting on Native Resolution in the DirecTV STB.
Quote:

What would be the Difference between pillar box and Original format ? This only effects older shows that need to be stretched, right ?

I can't stand the Stretched screen. I prefer 4:3, 16:9 or 2.39:1 in its original form.
post #3890 of 5359 Old 12-22-2013, 01:04 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Thanks. I will check them out. IN the meantime I need to adjust my whites. There is way too much pink tones in them. Any suggestions. They are set to pirates white settings. Thanks

In Picture Options change the Color Tone- Warm 2 is the industry standard.
post #3891 of 5359 Old 12-22-2013, 02:33 PM

Liked: 11
I strongly prefer the picture in "Standard Mode" to "Movie Mode" (both adjusted to PiratesCove settings) but the micro-dimming is killing me when I play PS4 games. Is there some method or group of settings to make Movie Mode have the vibrant colors of Standard Mode?

Thanks!
post #3892 of 5359 Old 12-22-2013, 02:41 PM

Liked: 22
Can anyone post or email me a few landscape pictures that I can use on the TV? Also, is there a particular property the pictures have to have to show full screen on the TV and in the highest resolution possible?? I see several websites that sell pictures for display on an HDTV. But I certainly don't want to buy them.

Finally, what's the easiest and cheapest way to display the pictures in a slideshow on the F7100? Samsung says the TV does not support any slideshows (I believe LG and Sharp TV's do). I don't want to burn a CD or DVD because then I'd have to have my BluRay player running most of the time to display the pictures. Prefer not to wear it out doing that. I tried a USB just with some sample pictures from my laptop and the TV did not in fact do a slideshow. It just stayed on the first picture on the USB. I'm going to try a PowerPoint on the USB, but not sure if that will work or not. Is there an easier/better way?
post #3893 of 5359 Old 12-22-2013, 03:41 PM

Liked: 22
Just tried Powerpoint, and as I guessed, it didn't work. I suppose the TV only recognizes certain file types. And .ppt isn't one of them.

Any suggestions other than burning a DVD and having to use my BluRay player? It has amazed mehow hard it has been to figure this out. Is it me??
post #3894 of 5359 Old 12-22-2013, 03:51 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:

I had a problem When I turned the tv on this morning . The image was very dark like the back lighting was not working. I tried several channels with no change. So I turned it off and back on a minute later and it was fine.

Has anyone else experienced this or know what that was all about .

I had this several times with only one of the F7100's I've had. Randomly while switching video modes on the PS3 this problem would manifest -- where the backlight drops dramatically, and it's not caused by any user setting or eco sensor. I acts odd where you can cause it to recover by turning it off or some other actions, but then after a minute or so it goes back into the dim mode. The only permanent recovery I found was a factory reset every time. (I considered this a sign of a hardware problem, so I'm glad that particular set is gone.)
post #3895 of 5359 Old 12-22-2013, 03:59 PM

Liked: 10
I had the same problem as well. Happened 3 or 4 times over the course of 5-6 weeks. I am not sure if it was the TV or the Receiver (Yamaha RXV673). I have since checked the connections on all of the HDMI cables going into the receiver and the single HDMI out of the receiver to the TV. I have not had this problem since. It may have been a loose or mis aligned HDMI cable. Try and see if that works. The real problem is troubleshooting this type of issue as it is random.

I did notice that when it happened, if I pressed the menu button on the TV remote the Menu display came up with no dimming at all, thats why I figured it may be something to do with the input signal.

Best of luck.
post #3896 of 5359 Old 12-22-2013, 05:12 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pg22 View Post

I strongly prefer the picture in "Standard Mode" to "Movie Mode" (both adjusted to PiratesCove settings) but the micro-dimming is killing me when I play PS4 games. Is there some method or group of settings to make Movie Mode have the vibrant colors of Standard Mode?

Thanks!

I go between natural ( sports ) and standard For movies
post #3897 of 5359 Old 12-22-2013, 05:17 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

In Picture Options change the Color Tone- Warm 2 is the industry standard.

It's already in warm2. I was thinking of adjusting the whites but I don't know what ones.
post #3898 of 5359 Old 12-22-2013, 07:23 PM

How to use HDMI Arc?

Guys My current settings is 

Coax --->Tivo------>55-7100(HDMI STB Port) 

I Tried below, I don't hear any volume, any help is much appreciated 

Coax ---->Tivo----->55-7100(HDMI STB Port)

55-7100(HDMI Arc Port)  ------->Samsung SoundbarFM45C(HDMI - Out)

post #3899 of 5359 Old 12-22-2013, 11:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pg22 View Post

Thanks!

Are you saying you want to play games in movie mode? Don't you use game mode? I also find micro dimming extremely annoying when gaming. While playing Far Cry 3 on PS3, I went out of bounds, and a timer started counting down for me to return to the play area, but the screen went completely black thanks to micro dimming and I had absolutely no sense of direction. I died, of course. When the game is dark, I just rename the input to PC and it turns off the micro dimming, but clouds and flashlighting will be more visible.
Quote:
Originally Posted by missourian View Post

How to use HDMI Arc?

Guys My current settings is 

Coax --->Tivo
>55-7100(HDMI STB Port) 

I Tried below, I don't hear any volume, any help is much appreciated 

Coax ---->Tivo
>55-7100(HDMI STB Port)
55-7100(HDMI Arc Port)  
>Samsung SoundbarFM45C(HDMI - Out)

It sounds like your sound bar isn't ARC compatible. I have an expensive HDMI 1.3 receiver that I don't really feel like replacing, so I bought a Monoprice HDMI switcher that's compatible with ARC and 3D. If you have a fiber optic or digital coaxial input on your sound bar, this would allow you to plug your PS4 into the switcher, and from there to the TV. The HDMI switcher allows sound to pass through to the TV, and also sends 5.1 audio to the sound bar by fiber optic, etc.
post #3900 of 5359 Old 12-22-2013, 11:43 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by JPowers View Post

Are you saying you want to play games in movie mode? Don't you use game mode? I also find micro dimming extremely annoying when gaming. While playing Far Cry 3 on PS3, I went out of bounds, and a timer started counting down for me to return to the play area, but the screen went completely black thanks to micro dimming and I had absolutely no sense of direction. I died, of course. When the game is dark, I just rename the input to PC and it turns off the micro dimming, but clouds and flashlighting will be more visible.

I absolutely play in "game mode" (for minimal lag) but in terms of what picture setting, I always use "Standard" (as opposed to Movie, Dynamic, or Natural).

I know that "Movie" seems to be the standard for most here, but I much prefer Standard's "pop" and vibrant colors. The only problem is that it has micro-dimming. I know that Movie mode does not.

Thus my question is whether there is a method (e.g., proper calibration) to get Movie mode to look like Standard mode, so I can avoid the micro-dimming while maintaining the vibrant colors of Standard mode.

Thanks smile.gif
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Samsung Un60f7100 60 Inch 3d Ultra Slim Smart Led Hdtv , Samsung Un46f8000 46 Inch 3d Ultra Slim Smart Led Hdtv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page