Official Samsung UNXXF7100 Owners Thread - Page 136 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #4051 of 5251 Old 12-31-2013, 05:55 PM
AVS Special Member
 
venus933's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 1,025
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 169 Post(s)
Liked: 169
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonEQuest View Post

I just got my 75" 7100 about 2 weeks ago and although the picture quality is very good. I am underwhelmed when comparing it to the 7 year old 58" Samsung plasma it replaced. I looks good but the colors are just not quite as rich and I am not used to this clouding thing that happens everytime you have a black screen. Is there any way to "fix" the clouding? I heard one guy say he massaged/rubbed his screen while on a low light setting and got rid of the clouding but I tried that (maybe it is a newbie prank) and it didn't work for more than a second then returned. Any thoughts?rolleyes.gif

Some people have had positive results from the massaging technique so it's not a newbie prank (I also heard some say it made their problem worse). I've also heard loosening the screws at the corners might help. And there's the it will go away over time technique. But most likely it's either live with it or return the television (something you probably don't want to do with a 75 inch size TV).

Some LCDs employ micro dimming schemes to largely eliminate clouding but the poorer ones introduce blooming (EX: Vizio "M" series). The F8000 and Sony LCDs with micro dimming (not to be confused with frame dimming such as the w802a) are examples of LCDs with good micro dimming schemes with minimal blooming.

The F7100 does have a micro dimming scheme but I hear it's not that effective but if you haven't enabled it then give it a go. The F7500 has a better micro dimming scheme then the F7100 but a steeper price too. Some people are fortunate and get a good panel but what you're experiencing is not all that unusual with edge lit LCDs without an elaborate dimming scheme.

If you want to familiar yourself more with backlighting, dimming schemes and blooming then I suggest reading from the link below. Good luck.

http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-33199_7-57572740-221/led-lcd-backlights-explained/
emileg and JonEQuest like this.

Samsung PN51F8500
Samsung PN60E7000
OPPO BDP-103 Universal Disc Player
MartinLogan Motion Vision Gloss Black 5-Channel Soundbar
MartinLogan Dynamo 700 10-inch Wireless Ready Subwoofer
venus933 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4052 of 5251 Old 12-31-2013, 06:30 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
PiratesCove's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Homestead, FL
Posts: 4,056
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Zaaaaayyyy View Post

Has anyone notice with the new 1118 software version,their is more motion blurr with blu-rays then before version 1117, and I own a oppo bdp-105,and version 1117 was perfect,I also always had auto motion clear thanks

I'm still on fw. ver. 1117, I use Auto Motion Plus- Custom - Blur 10 - Judder 0 - LED Clear Motion On for Blu-rays.

There is no motion blur or "Soap Opera Effect".

Auto Motion Plus - Clear works best on 1080i (Broadcast HDTV) with Film Mode: Auto 1 or Auto 2.

There is a little motion blur and a hint of "Soap Opera Effect", but it gives a stutter-free picture.
PiratesCove is offline  
post #4053 of 5251 Old 12-31-2013, 07:35 PM
Advanced Member
 
NJPapi1977's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 609
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 38
I renamed hdmi 1 to pc for ps4 and it reduces lag but i wanted to get feedback on which gives better pq

Game Mode or PC rename
NJPapi1977 is offline  
post #4054 of 5251 Old 01-01-2014, 01:15 AM
Newbie
 
wmmania's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 8
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11

 I saw 55'', 60'' and 65'' F7100 models side by side in factory default settings.
 Only 60'' has different color change, especially looking from side angle.
 I tested PiratesCove setting for an example, only 60'' has different color.
 (Maybe 60'' has to have different calibration settings.)
 Some people can't tell the difference after calibration, though. They are happy in a way.

 

 


1.
About the panel:
Among 55'' 60'' 65'', ONLY 60'' has different panel. (That's why 60'' has thicker bezel.)

 

 

I don't think un55f7100 is far inferior than un55f8000. 

 Also, I think un65f7100 is not that inferior than un65f8000,
    whereas un60f7000 is MUCH inferior than un60f8000.

 


 That's because they have different starting points: Panel.

 

 

 Sammy always says [NO comment] about the panel lottery.
 Some innocent workers for Samsung say EVEN Sharp panels meet their standards.

 

 I'm not sure Sharp provides their "latest cutting-edge panels" to Samsung.
 But, one thing for sure is
if the Sharp panel price was higher than that of Samsung panel, they'll use their own panel.

 

 

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

I know BB and other stores have the 55F8000 above the 60F7100 efficiently.
Basically, F8000 is somewhat superior to F7100 in dimming control and CMR, etc.

(But not much!! In a certain review, F7100 has better than F8000 in contrast ratio.)
However, the difference btw 55F8000 and 60F7100 mainly comes from panel changes.

 

The gap between panels is unbridgeable.

 

If the store displays 65''F7100 and 65''F8000, their marketing hype would not effective d/t both 65'' have samsung panel.


--------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

 


2.
About the bezel: 

 

All about design..... it depends on your preference.
(Looks robust and strong, that's right!)

 

 

BTW,
In Samsung.

 

The cheaper the thicker. (SLIM AND SLEEK; their strategy.)
F6300 F7100 F8000..... the cheaper models have thicker bezel.
(60''F7100 model has thicker bezel than 75''!)

 

 

 

 


So who wants to buy cheaper-style-model with the same price?


I just want to get what I paid for and what I researched.

wmmania is offline  
post #4055 of 5251 Old 01-01-2014, 06:56 AM
Member
 
msny's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 107
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by wmmania View Post

 I saw 55'', 60'' and 65'' F7100 models side by side in factory default settings.

 Only 60'' has different color change, especially looking from side angle.

 I tested PiratesCove setting for an example, only 60'' has different color.

 (Maybe 60'' has to have different calibration settings.)

 Some people can't tell the difference after calibration, though. They are happy in a way.




1.
About the panel:

Among 55'' 60'' 65'', ONLY 60'' has different panel. (That's why 60'' has thicker bezel.)


I don't think un55f7100 is far inferior than un55f8000. 
 Also, I think un65f7100 is not that inferior than un65f8000,

    whereas un60f7000 is MUCH inferior than un60f8000.



 That's because they have different starting points: Panel.


 Sammy always says [[COLOR=B22222][B]NO comment[/B][/COLOR]] about the panel lottery.

 Some innocent workers for Samsung say EVEN Sharp panels meet their standards.

 I'm not sure Sharp provides their "latest cutting-edge panels" to Samsung.
 But, one thing for sure is

if the Sharp panel price was higher than that of Samsung panel, they'll use their own panel.



I know BB and other stores have the 55F8000 above the 60F7100 efficiently.

Basically, F8000 is somewhat superior to F7100 in dimming control and CMR, etc.
(But not much!! In a certain review, F7100 has better than F8000 in contrast ratio.)
However, the difference btw 55F8000 and 60F7100 mainly comes from panel changes.

The gap between panels is unbridgeable.

If the store displays 65''F7100 and 65''F8000, their marketing hype would not effective d/t both 65'' have samsung panel.






2.
About the bezel: 

All about design..... it depends on your preference.

(Looks robust and strong, that right!)


BTW,

In Samsung.

The cheaper the thicker. (SLIM AND SLEEK; their starategy.)

F6300 F7100 F8000..... the cheaper models have thicker bezels.

(60''F7100 model has thicker bezel than 75''!)






So who wants to buy cheaper-style-model with the same price?

I just want to get what I paid for and what I researched.


I have the 55' F7100 and I'm happy with it. My brother has the 65" F7100 and he is happy with his also.
I would just say this, if your happy with your 60" F7100 even if the panel is different so what?

There are plenty of calibration settings for this TV that span ALL the different sizes in this forum.
If you cant find one that suits your needs buy the software and do it yourself or hire a TV person.
Wouldn't most people do this regardless of the make and model they own anyway?

Also, Samsung's warranty is the same for every size in the line, no?
So there backing the panel as if it was there's anyways.

One would be surprised to find the
content of materials and sources for all kinds of products out there.
I own a high end German car, but found out that 10% of the parts were made in Mexico, should I dump it
because of that?

If one is not happy with there set either return it, if possible, or resell it on the internet.
Plenty of people would be happy with it.
msny is offline  
post #4056 of 5251 Old 01-01-2014, 08:57 AM
Senior Member
 
mgh26's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 384
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Happy New Year everybody....... I'm currently watching the Rose Parade & all I can say is WoW!!!! So real, I just jumped off a float to post this.biggrin.gif Best picture I've ever seen for a live parade. The 7100 just ROCKS!!!!
macmane likes this.
mgh26 is offline  
post #4057 of 5251 Old 01-01-2014, 10:59 AM
Member
 
Mike Zaaaaayyyy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 131
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 17
NHL 14 Winter Classic! Who here is watching this?
slapshot likes this.
Mike Zaaaaayyyy is offline  
post #4058 of 5251 Old 01-01-2014, 12:04 PM
Member
 
david3772's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 140
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by msny View Post

I have the 55' F7100 and I'm happy with it. My brother has the 65" F7100 and he is happy with his also.
I would just say this, if your happy with your 60" F7100 even if the panel is different so what?

I have to chime in and agree with msny here. The subject of the panel manufacturer is one I see raised too often here, IMO. Within a given display size, I am not convinced the manufacturer of the panel determines the quality of the picture. We are happy with our 65", which seems to contain a Sharp panel according to what I have read here.

What bothers me is that people who read this site are judging their new televisions before they even open the box. They prejudge the set based on the letters on the label, already believing that this panel is better than that panel. Open it, watch it, adjust it, and see what you think.

David
david3772 is offline  
post #4059 of 5251 Old 01-01-2014, 12:07 PM
Member
 
milkk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 129
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Zaaaaayyyy View Post

NHL 14 Winter Classic! Who here is watching this?

+1 Happy New Year. They need to have more games like this each year smile.gif

Samsung UN55F6300AF
Sony KDL-40Z4100
milkk is offline  
post #4060 of 5251 Old 01-01-2014, 12:14 PM
Member
 
Mike Zaaaaayyyy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 131
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by milkk View Post

+1 Happy New Year. They need to have more games like this each year smile.gif
Happy New Year, I agree more games like this,looks beautiful on this TV!
Mike Zaaaaayyyy is offline  
post #4061 of 5251 Old 01-01-2014, 12:34 PM
AVS Special Member
 
GusGus748s's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Visalia, CA 93291
Posts: 6,385
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 594
So, last night the wife, and I decided to watch Iron Man 3 in 3D, and I am not too fond of this active 3D. The passive 3D TV I had before (Vizio M551D-A2R) was better. So, I am not too sure I will be keeping this TV after all. 2D quality is great, but 3D is lacking. The glasses are pretty bad too. I can see the square around my eyes all the time, which is pretty annoying when you are trying to watch the movie.

Media Server: UnRaid Server: 15TB of storage and growing :).


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

 

Home Theater Set Up:


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

GusGus748s is offline  
post #4062 of 5251 Old 01-01-2014, 01:35 PM
Newbie
 
crv16's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 3
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have the 60" version of this tv. I'm trying to connect it to my Sony HT-CT350 sound bar, which has two optical inputs. I originally fed the sound bar by HDMI cables -- cablebox -> tv(HDMI1), soundbar ->tv (ARC/HDMI2), bluray -> soundbar and xbox -> soundbar, but it was a pain toggling between inputs and wrestling with the soundbar not handling the audio switching well. It often would switch audio to tv speakers when I changed inputs. Powering off/on sound bar would solve it.

Anyway, I thought that feeding everything to the tv directly, and only output audio from tv to soundbar would simplify things. However, with optical connection, I'm not getting any sound out of my soundbar.

On TV, set audio to external speakers.
Connected optical cable from tv to soundbar (optical input labeled TV)
Switch input on soundbar to TV
No sound. If I unplug the optical cable from soundbar, I can see a red glow coming from tip of cable. Volume on sound bar is set to an appropriate level.

Any ideas how to troubleshoot this?

Thanks!
crv16 is offline  
post #4063 of 5251 Old 01-01-2014, 01:47 PM
Advanced Member
 
NJPapi1977's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 609
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by david3772 View Post

I have to chime in and agree with msny here. The subject of the panel manufacturer is one I see raised too often here, IMO. Within a given display size, I am not convinced the manufacturer of the panel determines the quality of the picture. We are happy with our 65", which seems to contain a Sharp panel according to what I have read here.

What bothers me is that people who read this site are judging their new televisions before they even open the box. They prejudge the set based on the letters on the label, already believing that this panel is better than that panel. Open it, watch it, adjust it, and see what you think.

David

If you have a 65 then you do not have a sharp panel

Only the 60 has the sharp panel


At the store I noticed it right away that the 55 version not only had a smaller bezel but the colors popped more then the 60

Both right next to each other.
NJPapi1977 is offline  
post #4064 of 5251 Old 01-01-2014, 02:26 PM
AVS Special Member
 
JChin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Mesquite Tx
Posts: 8,530
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked: 134
Quote:
Originally Posted by crv16 View Post

I have the 60" version of this tv. I'm trying to connect it to my Sony HT-CT350 sound bar, which has two optical inputs. I originally fed the sound bar by HDMI cables -- cablebox -> tv(HDMI1), soundbar ->tv (ARC/HDMI2), bluray -> soundbar and xbox -> soundbar, but it was a pain toggling between inputs and wrestling with the soundbar not handling the audio switching well. It often would switch audio to tv speakers when I changed inputs. Powering off/on sound bar would solve it.

Anyway, I thought that feeding everything to the tv directly, and only output audio from tv to soundbar would simplify things. However, with optical connection, I'm not getting any sound out of my soundbar.

On TV, set audio to external speakers.
Connected optical cable from tv to soundbar (optical input labeled TV)
Switch input on soundbar to TV
No sound. If I unplug the optical cable from soundbar, I can see a red glow coming from tip of cable. Volume on sound bar is set to an appropriate level.

Any ideas how to troubleshoot this?

Thanks!

Hi crv16, double check the optical cable doesn't have any small protective plastic caps at end.

And as a quick test, remove the optical cable from the tv and plug it into the cable box, bluray or xbox to see if audio comes through the soundbar.
missourian likes this.
JChin is offline  
post #4065 of 5251 Old 01-01-2014, 03:46 PM
Member
 
missourian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 101
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by wmmania View Post
 
 

 

 

 

 
Since Oct.2013
 
55'', 65''   TH02   sammy panel      9/10
60''          HH01   sharp panel       7/10    (cheaper price panel)
 
 
Sharp panel is inferior in color deviation of viewing angle to Samsung panel. 
(Clouding/Flashlight issue is minor.)
AU Optronics panel is not provided after oct.2013. (yes, it's inferior to sharp panel.)
 
If you want to go sharp panel, you may go "SHARP TV" with cheaper price rather sammy with higher price.
 
 
Second thing to know is 60'' 7100 has twice thicker bezel than 55''. (Even thicker than 75'' !!)
IMHO, there's no reason to buy 60''.
 
 
I called SAMSUNG and they said "NO COMMENT" about the panel lottery.

I agree, Samsung established a reputation of good panel manufacturer , they shouldn't be installing others and charge the same 

missourian is offline  
post #4066 of 5251 Old 01-01-2014, 04:46 PM
Newbie
 
wmmania's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 8
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by david3772 View Post


I have to chime in and agree with msny here. The subject of the panel manufacturer is one I see raised too often here, IMO. Within a given display size, I am not convinced the manufacturer of the panel determines the quality of the picture. We are happy with our 65", which seems to contain a Sharp panel according to what I have read here.

What bothers me is that people who read this site are judging their new televisions before they even open the box. They prejudge the set based on the letters on the label, already believing that this panel is better than that panel. Open it, watch it, adjust it, and see what you think.

David

 

   I chime in with your opinion as I said. Adjust it! (happy in a way.)

 

   Happy new year, everyone~

wmmania is offline  
post #4067 of 5251 Old 01-02-2014, 02:47 AM
Member
 
GPtimes2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 168
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
I have to chime in and agree with msny here. The subject of the panel manufacturer is one I see raised too often here, IMO. Within a given display size, I am not convinced the manufacturer of the panel determines the quality of the picture. We are happy with our 65", which seems to contain a Sharp panel according to what I have read here.

What bothers me is that people who read this site are judging their new televisions before they even open the box. They prejudge the set based on the letters on the label, already believing that this panel is better than that panel. Open it, watch it, adjust it, and see what you think.

Yes, very true. Sometimes I think people are down on something because it makes them feel that theirs is better (justifies their purchase). I can tell you that the 60" sharp panel has an amazing picture once it's adjusted, and by all reports, the samsung does also. Until we see full calibration reports from a reliable calibrater ( DNice, ChadB, or someone who does it for a living), we can assume it is an opinion or works of a wantabe or tinkerer (EVERYONE here has an agenda for being here). I don't think the profesionals are trying to calibrate this model side by side (like they do at the anual shootout), so that may be a mute point. So if any of the sharp Debbie Downers has any credintials and\or reports, please feel free to share them.

As to this-

I
Quote:
saw 55'', 60'' and 65'' F7100 models side by side in factory default settings.
Only 60'' has different color change, especially looking from side angle.
I tested PiratesCove setting for an example, only 60'' has different color.
(Maybe 60'' has to have different calibration settings.)
Some people can't tell the difference after calibration, though. They are happy in a way.

This is a prime example. Pirate did an excalent job of getting his panel set to his likeing, but they look terrible on my sharp panel. I was able to get mine looking fantastic to my liking by tinkering and not being a profesional. So if you are making a purchase based on what you are reading here, consider the source, and judge for yourself. Hope this helps.smile.gif
GPtimes2 is online now  
post #4068 of 5251 Old 01-02-2014, 07:18 AM
Member
 
doubledownavs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 22
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi All - great thread for a great TV. I've really enjoyed the set since I got it on black Friday week.

I had a quick question that I assumed would be a simple fix, but I could not find it searching the thread (130 pages its tough to weed through). When I turn the TV on, it starts in the TV portion of the SmartHub. I then have to click the "enter" button which is the middle of the remote touch pad. Is there any way to get the TV to start up direclty watching full TV, so I do not have to hit enter? I prefer to use my cable remote, but there is no button on the cable remote that mimics this enter button. So everytime I turn on the TV i have to use two different remotes to get started.

My parents have direct TV and the same TV, they had a pro set up their system and when they turn it on, its not showing the SmartHub - it goes straight full screen television. Does anyone on here know how to change that?

Thanks in advance
doubledownavs is offline  
post #4069 of 5251 Old 01-02-2014, 07:51 AM
Advanced Member
 
cjsiv's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Peoria, IL
Posts: 673
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by GusGus748s View Post

So, last night the wife, and I decided to watch Iron Man 3 in 3D, and I am not too fond of this active 3D. The passive 3D TV I had before (Vizio M551D-A2R) was better. So, I am not too sure I will be keeping this TV after all. 2D quality is great, but 3D is lacking. The glasses are pretty bad too. I can see the square around my eyes all the time, which is pretty annoying when you are trying to watch the movie.

I had an LG 7600 before this set which was passive 3D. Last year I was on a quest for a great tv with passive 3D because I fell in love with it and HAD to have it. Well I went through 2-6700s and 2-7600s until I found one that had acceptable uniformity. What I found happening was I spent maybe one night every 6 months using the 3D. The rest of the time was 2D. Be careful before you return a set just because of its 3D performance.

I know everyones eyes are different, but here's what my opinion is. Passive 3D was clean with minimal artifact and virtually no eye fatigue. I have kids and the cheap glasses were great. Now switching to active with the Samsung, yes, there was initially more eye fatigue, but I adjusted to it rather quickly. Also I only watch 3D in a dark room now and that helps a ton with light leaking from the sides and seems to give a cleaner image. Max out the automation setting to get it as clean as possible. This set handles motion much better in 3D than my LG did which was supposed to be 240hz (really 120 with backlight scanning).The active is WAY crisper than the LG and plenty bright. Passive is only 480 per eye whereas the active is full 1080. The difference in resolution is readily noticeable to me. If you can watch in a dark room, try it and cut your backlight. My eye fatigue seemed to be much less with my backlight at 10 or 12 and still PLENTY bright. There is some extra ghosting, but not enough to really bother me. Ultimately, I have grown to like active just as much as passive, but that's just my opinion.

I've had tvs from Panasonic, LG, Sony , Vizio and Samsung. You're probably going to have a hard time finding a tv to match the Samsungs performance and quality. They all have their problems. Trust me. I went through 7 TVs and 1 projector last year looking for perfection and there has to be a trade off somewhere. A "perfect" TV doesn't exist right now.

Good luck smile.gif

cjsiv is offline  
post #4070 of 5251 Old 01-02-2014, 08:14 AM
Member
 
JonEQuest's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 31
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by venus933 View Post

Some people have had positive results from the massaging technique so it's not a newbie prank (I also heard some say it made their problem worse). I've also heard loosening the screws at the corners might help. And there's the it will go away over time technique. But most likely it's either live with it or return the television (something you probably don't want to do with a 75 inch size TV).

Some LCDs employ micro dimming schemes to largely eliminate clouding but the poorer ones introduce blooming (EX: Vizio "M" series). The F8000 and Sony LCDs with micro dimming (not to be confused with frame dimming such as the w802a) are examples of LCDs with good micro dimming schemes with minimal blooming.

The F7100 does have a micro dimming scheme but I hear it's not that effective but if you haven't enabled it then give it a go. The F7500 has a better micro dimming scheme then the F7100 but a steeper price too. Some people are fortunate and get a good panel but what you're experiencing is not all that unusual with edge lit LCDs without an elaborate dimming scheme.

If you want to familiar yourself more with backlighting, dimming schemes and blooming then I suggest reading from the link below. Good luck.

http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-33199_7-57572740-221/led-lcd-backlights-explained/

I was real tempted to buy the Vizio M80 but read about the issues you described with them. I got the 7100 due to the 240hz panel and I have read it is real close to the 8000 in PQ. They don't make a 7500 in the 75" size so it was just the 7100 or 8000 for me. A huge jump in price of $2,000 for a TV (the 8100) that most said you can't really tell the difference between. I did spend the extra $1,000 for the better panel over the 6400 though. I will check out that link and see if there are more helpfull hints. I may also try to loosen the screws a bit. That makes sense since it seems that there is a tension somewhere. That must be why massaging works for some. Last night I noticed that the clouding actually seemed a little less noticeable but maybe it was just me wanting it better. If it is tension between layers then I can see how time and looser screws will help since materials aclimate to there enviroment over time and temperature change. Maybe loosening the screws ASAP may be the best before the warping is locked in by temp changes back and forth. For example if I put a long peice of plexiglas/lexan spanning across two boards the middle will eventually sag into a bow. If I then put that peice on edge the bow would likely stay forever until something else like heat reshapes it.
JonEQuest is offline  
post #4071 of 5251 Old 01-02-2014, 08:19 AM
Newbie
 
supz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 3
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Just used these settings on my new UN60F7050, and everything looks a lot nicer than from the factory defaults. The only difference is that I used the Standard instead of Warm1 color settings. In either case, everything looks a lot nicer. Thanks for the info!
supz is offline  
post #4072 of 5251 Old 01-02-2014, 08:38 AM
Senior Member
 
macmane's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 209
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by supz View Post

Just used these settings on my new UN60F7050, and everything looks a lot nicer than from the factory defaults. The only difference is that I used the Standard instead of Warm1 color settings. In either case, everything looks a lot nicer. Thanks for the info!
what settings did u use? Can u post them? Thanks
macmane is online now  
post #4073 of 5251 Old 01-02-2014, 08:59 AM
Member
 
GPtimes2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 168
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by doubledownavs View Post

Hi All - great thread for a great TV. I've really enjoyed the set since I got it on black Friday week.

I had a quick question that I assumed would be a simple fix, but I could not find it searching the thread (130 pages its tough to weed through). When I turn the TV on, it starts in the TV portion of the SmartHub. I then have to click the "enter" button which is the middle of the remote touch pad. Is there any way to get the TV to start up direclty watching full TV, so I do not have to hit enter? I prefer to use my cable remote, but there is no button on the cable remote that mimics this enter button. So everytime I turn on the TV i have to use two different remotes to get started.

My parents have direct TV and the same TV, they had a pro set up their system and when they turn it on, its not showing the SmartHub - it goes straight full screen television. Does anyone on here know how to change that?

Thanks in advance

Here you go-

Menu> Smart Features> On TV Settings> On TV Setup> Auto Start: Off.

Also you should be able to set your cable remote to turn on your tv useing one of the samsung codes. Your cable company will have instructions or you could try a google querry. Hope this helps.
GPtimes2 is online now  
post #4074 of 5251 Old 01-02-2014, 09:28 AM
AVS Special Member
 
GusGus748s's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Visalia, CA 93291
Posts: 6,385
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 594
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjsiv View Post

I had an LG 7600 before this set which was passive 3D. Last year I was on a quest for a great tv with passive 3D because I fell in love with it and HAD to have it. Well I went through 2-6700s and 2-7600s until I found one that had acceptable uniformity. What I found happening was I spent maybe one night every 6 months using the 3D. The rest of the time was 2D. Be careful before you return a set just because of its 3D performance.

I know everyones eyes are different, but here's what my opinion is. Passive 3D was clean with minimal artifact and virtually no eye fatigue. I have kids and the cheap glasses were great. Now switching to active with the Samsung, yes, there was initially more eye fatigue, but I adjusted to it rather quickly. Also I only watch 3D in a dark room now and that helps a ton with light leaking from the sides and seems to give a cleaner image. Max out the automation setting to get it as clean as possible. This set handles motion much better in 3D than my LG did which was supposed to be 240hz (really 120 with backlight scanning).The active is WAY crisper than the LG and plenty bright. Passive is only 480 per eye whereas the active is full 1080. The difference in resolution is readily noticeable to me. If you can watch in a dark room, try it and cut your backlight. My eye fatigue seemed to be much less with my backlight at 10 or 12 and still PLENTY bright. There is some extra ghosting, but not enough to really bother me. Ultimately, I have grown to like active just as much as passive, but that's just my opinion.

I've had tvs from Panasonic, LG, Sony , Vizio and Samsung. You're probably going to have a hard time finding a tv to match the Samsungs performance and quality. They all have their problems. Trust me. I went through 7 TVs and 1 projector last year looking for perfection and there has to be a trade off somewhere. A "perfect" TV doesn't exist right now.

Good luck smile.gif

If it was just me that would be different, but when you have the wife and 2 kids saying that they like the way the 3D looked better on the Vizio it's hard to find an excused to keep this TV,which cost $750 more. I'm getting the 60 inch M-series Vizio. Thanks for your comments and suggestions.

Media Server: UnRaid Server: 15TB of storage and growing :).


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

 

Home Theater Set Up:


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

GusGus748s is offline  
post #4075 of 5251 Old 01-02-2014, 09:39 AM
Member
 
msny's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 107
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by GPtimes2 View Post

Yes, very true. Sometimes I think people are down on something because it makes them feel that theirs is better (justifies their purchase). I can tell you that the 60" sharp panel has an amazing picture once it's adjusted, and by all reports, the samsung does also. Until we see full calibration reports from a reliable calibrater ( DNice, ChadB, or someone who does it for a living), we can assume it is an opinion or works of a wantabe or tinkerer (EVERYONE here has an agenda for being here). I don't think the profesionals are trying to calibrate this model side by side (like they do at the anual shootout), so that may be a mute point. So if any of the sharp Debbie Downers has any credintials and\or reports, please feel free to share them.

As to this-

I


This is a prime example. Pirate did an excalent job of getting his panel set to his likeing, but they look terrible on my sharp panel. I was able to get mine looking fantastic to my liking by tinkering and not being a profesional. So if you are making a purchase based on what you are reading here, consider the source, and judge for yourself. Hope this helps.smile.gif

I think Pirates settings are a good baseline, since everyone tastes differ I used it as a starting point only.
I appreciate the effort of all those on the forum who have shared there calibrations!

As to the 60" panel issue, maybe someone has a good calibration for just that particular panel?

You might want to buy some software and do it yourself or hire a TV guy to do it.
msny is offline  
post #4076 of 5251 Old 01-02-2014, 09:44 AM
Member
 
msny's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 107
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by GusGus748s View Post

So, last night the wife, and I decided to watch Iron Man 3 in 3D, and I am not too fond of this active 3D. The passive 3D TV I had before (Vizio M551D-A2R) was better. So, I am not too sure I will be keeping this TV after all. 2D quality is great, but 3D is lacking. The glasses are pretty bad too. I can see the square around my eyes all the time, which is pretty annoying when you are trying to watch the movie.

If one is buying a TV for 3D performance I think most brands will disappoint from my understanding.
Its a gimmick to me and most shows and movies will never be made in 3D anyways.

My 2 cents.
msny is offline  
post #4077 of 5251 Old 01-02-2014, 09:57 AM
Member
 
msny's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 107
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonEQuest View Post

I was real tempted to buy the Vizio M80 but read about the issues you described with them. I got the 7100 due to the 240hz panel and I have read it is real close to the 8000 in PQ. They don't make a 7500 in the 75" size so it was just the 7100 or 8000 for me. A huge jump in price of $2,000 for a TV (the 8100) that most said you can't really tell the difference between. I did spend the extra $1,000 for the better panel over the 6400 though. I will check out that link and see if there are more helpfull hints. I may also try to loosen the screws a bit. That makes sense since it seems that there is a tension somewhere. That must be why massaging works for some. Last night I noticed that the clouding actually seemed a little less noticeable but maybe it was just me wanting it better. If it is tension between layers then I can see how time and looser screws will help since materials aclimate to there enviroment over time and temperature change. Maybe loosening the screws ASAP may be the best before the warping is locked in by temp changes back and forth. For example if I put a long peice of plexiglas/lexan spanning across two boards the middle will eventually sag into a bow. If I then put that peice on edge the bow would likely stay forever until something else like heat reshapes it.

There is no such thing as a "240hz" panel, its a marketing ploy nothing more.

Manufacturers market it that way but there using 60hz panels and employing software tricks to make it look better.
Samsung calls it "Auto Motion Plus"..

http://techreport.com/news/25300/240hz-lcd-monitor-boasts-va-panel-10-bit-color

http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-33199_7-57524894-221/what-is-refresh-rate/

http://www.wisegeek.org/what-is-auto-motion-plus.htm
msny is offline  
post #4078 of 5251 Old 01-02-2014, 10:19 AM
Member
 
doubledownavs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 22
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by GPtimes2 View Post

Here you go-

Menu> Smart Features> On TV Settings> On TV Setup> Auto Start: Off.

Also you should be able to set your cable remote to turn on your tv useing one of the samsung codes. Your cable company will have instructions or you could try a google querry. Hope this helps.

Thanks GPtimes2! Don't i feel like a complete newb. You'd think I could figure that out on my own! Happy New Year.
doubledownavs is offline  
post #4079 of 5251 Old 01-02-2014, 10:45 AM
Member
 
JonEQuest's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 31
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by msny View Post

There is no such thing as a "240hz" panel, its a marketing ploy nothing more.

Manufacturers market it that way but there using 60hz panels and employing software tricks to make it look better.
Samsung calls it "Auto Motion Plus"..

http://techreport.com/news/25300/240hz-lcd-monitor-boasts-va-panel-10-bit-color

http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-33199_7-57524894-221/what-is-refresh-rate/

http://www.wisegeek.org/what-is-auto-motion-plus.htm

I know about the scam with refresh rates. I also know that my "Auto Motion Plus 720" means nothing. My point was that I picked the Samsung 7100 with a panel that refreshes at twice the rate of the Samsung 6400 model for slightly better PQ. It is the same panel used in the 8000 series at triple the cost of the 6300/6400 series.
JonEQuest is offline  
post #4080 of 5251 Old 01-02-2014, 11:50 AM
AVS Special Member
 
GusGus748s's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Visalia, CA 93291
Posts: 6,385
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 594
The Samsung should be gone by Tuesday, and the new Vizio M601-A3R should be here the same day installed. Got the 60 Vizio for $1298 with 2 yrs extended warranty. Save about $500. As I said the sammy had good 2D quality, but 3D was awful.

Media Server: UnRaid Server: 15TB of storage and growing :).


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

 

Home Theater Set Up:


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

GusGus748s is offline  
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Samsung Un60f7100 60 Inch 3d Ultra Slim Smart Led Hdtv , Samsung Un46f8000 46 Inch 3d Ultra Slim Smart Led Hdtv
Gear in this thread

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off