Official Samsung UNXXF7100 Owners Thread - Page 154 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #4591 of 5212 Old 03-04-2014, 07:13 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10

Anyone have any advice for the Samsung UN55F7100 vs. the Sony KDL-55W802A

I have an older UN55B7100WF which has a black line through the panel, and the extended warranty says it's not worth repairing so they are offering to replace it. They gave me a choice of the UN55F7100 or the KDL-55W802A.

I don't have any specific requirements, the features seem fine for me. I'm not crazy about the silver bezel or stand, I'd rather have black but that's not a show stopper. I've read through some of this thread (153 pages wow!), and some reviews on other sites, both models seem like fair replacements, I'm leaning towards this one. Any advice?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4592 of 5212 Old 03-04-2014, 07:36 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfileX View Post

Anyone have any advice for the Samsung UN55F7100 vs. the Sony KDL-55W802A

I have an older UN55B7100WF which has a black line through the panel, and the extended warranty says it's not worth repairing so they are offering to replace it. They gave me a choice of the UN55F7100 or the KDL-55W802A.

I don't have any specific requirements, the features seem fine for me. I'm not crazy about the silver bezel or stand, I'd rather have black but that's not a show stopper. I've read through some of this thread (153 pages wow!), and some reviews on other sites, both models seem like fair replacements, I'm leaning towards this one. Any advice?

Go look at thw W802A in a store and make sure you can live with the 1" shadow around the edges before you consider it.
If that doesn't bother you and you're still on the fence, the W802A is one of the best sets for gaming.

Otherwise, I personally think the F7100's micro bezel looks much nicer.
post #4593 of 5212 Old 03-05-2014, 08:24 AM

I just ordered the UN46F7100AFXZA

Pretty excited. Any true, tested calibration settings I should use? I mostly watch sports and movies.
post #4594 of 5212 Old 03-05-2014, 01:44 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 110
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonnie1892 View Post

I just ordered the UN46F7100AFXZA

Pretty excited. Any true, tested calibration settings I should use? I mostly watch sports and movies.

Settings: http://www.avsforum.com/t/1470900/official-samsung-unxxf7100-owners-thread/4020#post_24142810
post #4595 of 5212 Old 03-05-2014, 02:55 PM

Liked: 19
i want to enhance my colors without messign with the skin tones, are there any specific settings for RBG i need to mess with to do that?

TV; samsung 65F7100
AVR: Sony 7.2 1040
Blu Ray: Oppo 103D
post #4596 of 5212 Old 03-05-2014, 03:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 433
Direct TV installed today!! Good riddance Charter!! Yes the picture quality is sooo much better. I am very happy with my decision on buying the 7000 series.
Rey L likes this.

Denon AVR 3312
Klipsch RF-7II's, RC-64II, RS-62II's
SVS SB13 Ultra
Sony BDP-S790, PS3
Panamax 5300PM
Samsung UN60F7100 3D LED
post #4597 of 5212 Old 03-05-2014, 04:02 PM

okay so i got my oppo 103 blu ray player hooked up. been messing with the settings, i am debating whether or not to send it back and get the 103D because supposedly the darbee is a better processor, however, ive come across an issue. the 103 has a "color enhancer" setting that goes up to 4, it enhances your colors without increasing skin tones! which i think is pretty cool. another cool setting this oppo has is 'saturation'. everyone knows that samsungs have oversaturated skin tones that makes skin tones look fake, ive noticed this and so have alot of other people. well guess what people, all u gotta do is turn saturation to -2 and skin tones look normal! then you bump up the color enhancer and all the other colors go back to normal/looking good, hence, the skin tone issue is essentially fixed!! but the 103D does NOT have color enhancer, so this little trick is not possible on the D series. therefore, i may save the extra 100bux and just keep the 103.

TV; samsung 65F7100
post #4598 of 5212 Old 03-05-2014, 04:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ray0414 View Post

okay so i got my oppo 103 blu ray player hooked up. been messing with the settings, i am debating whether or not to send it back and get the 103D because supposedly the darbee is a better processor, however, ive come across an issue. the 103 has a "color enhancer" setting that goes up to 4, it enhances your colors without increasing skin tones! which i think is pretty cool. another cool setting this oppo has is 'saturation'. everyone knows that samsungs have oversaturated skin tones that makes skin tones look fake, ive noticed this and so have alot of other people. well guess what people, all u gotta do is turn saturation to -2 and skin tones look normal! then you bump up the color enhancer and all the other colors go back to normal/looking good, hence, the skin tone issue is essentially fixed!! but the 103D does NOT have color enhancer, so this little trick is not possible on the D series. therefore, i may save the extra 100bux and just keep the 103.
I've heard the Darbee is mostly for projection and you will not gain much for an LED or Plasma if anything. Again I say this after what I've researched and I can't say because I have not experienced for myself.

Denon AVR 3312
SVS SB13 Ultra
Sony BDP-S790, PS3
Panamax 5300PM
Samsung UN60F7100 3D LED
post #4599 of 5212 Old 03-05-2014, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cchunter View Post

I've heard the Darbee is mostly for projection and you will not gain much for an LED or Plasma if anything. Again I say this after what I've researched and I can't say because I have not experienced for myself.

plenty of people in the darbee thread tho do say the enhancer makes a difference even on led and plasma tvs. im pretty sure they are being truthful because the darbee enhancement is compared to the sharpness setting on the regular 103, just puttin the sharpness up to 1(goes all the way to 16) will instantly improve the sharpness of the picture, more details immediately jump out. its actually quite impressive, so without the 103 sharpness setting the normal picture does look pretty soft, and thats with the tv sharpness set at 45. i could probably post some pictures later to show the difference and how much better it does look with the 103 sharpness +1.

TV; samsung 65F7100
post #4600 of 5212 Old 03-05-2014, 04:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

plenty of people in the darbee thread tho do say the enhancer makes a difference even on led and plasma tvs. im pretty sure they are being truthful because the darbee enhancement is compared to the sharpness setting on the regular 103, just puttin the sharpness up to 1(goes all the way to 16) will instantly improve the sharpness of the picture, more details immediately jump out. its actually quite impressive, so without the 103 sharpness setting the normal picture does look pretty soft, and thats with the tv sharpness set at 45. i could probably post some pictures later to show the difference and how much better it does look with the 103 sharpness +1.
I don't run my sharpness any higher than 20 on my tv settings. If I do it has tiny speckles everywhere if you look close.

Denon AVR 3312
SVS SB13 Ultra
Sony BDP-S790, PS3
Panamax 5300PM
Samsung UN60F7100 3D LED
post #4601 of 5212 Old 03-05-2014, 05:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cchunter View Post

I don't run my sharpness any higher than 20 on my tv settings. If I do it has tiny speckles everywhere if you look close.

I tried keeping it low at 1st but it was just way too blurry. Whemn I get home ill set the tv sharpness to 20 and flip between 0 and 1 sharpness on the oppo.

TV; samsung 65F7100
post #4602 of 5212 Old 03-05-2014, 05:11 PM

Liked: 17
Quote:

Hey ray,did you link it yet to your cable? Again I would keep the 103 as well instead of the D edition..
post #4603 of 5212 Old 03-05-2014, 05:37 PM

Ok, I have to ask if anyone else has this problem. It seems that after every firmware update, some apps stop working properly and I have to uninstall them and reinstall them. I can think of two, mainly Spotify and HBOGo, where I have to reenter my login after every firmware update. It's a real pain because I don't have a keyboard connected. I have the 55" F7100.

Why can't Samsung get better software designers? The Smart Hub thing is pretty much "functional" (with many little issues like the one I just mentioned) but the UI is beyond terrible. Is there a way to go directly to the app screen even, or do I always have to press left? And then I can't change the order of the "featured" apps at all. HUH? WHYYY? I even had to look up how to change the position of the other apps because it's not clear at all. How does it make sense that you have to go down to "More Apps" to do this? I can name a million things wrong with the Smart Hub. Don't get me started on the controller and the "More" button which pretty much means more nonsensical and needlessly complicated crap. Otherwise, I love this TV with its nice picture, once you do your calibrations. The hardware is solid.

Samsung better be careful if Apple decides to ever release a TV. I can guarantee you that the software will be a million times more thoughtfully designed.
post #4604 of 5212 Old 03-05-2014, 07:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kohmei View Post

I'm aware of the problem mostly from the 6300 thread, so you might want to look that one up for more detailed solutions, as it seems pretty quiet around here. I don't even have a receiver and just use the built-ins, so my solution is just to pick the stereo audio track for Netflix, as for whatever reason it defaults to 5.1 and down mixes it to stereo anyway. Really makes the issue all the more glaring since it should be evident to anyone who is simply using the TV + Netflix, though it does happen very rarely. Some content seems more problematic, for instance TV shows (Family Guy, Walking Dead are huge offenders), and movies seem mostly unaffected as far as I've noticed.

There also does seem to be some randomization on my end: the drop outs occur around the same spot, but don't happen at precisely the same time, and the duration of the drop out can also fluctuate greatly from a fraction of a second to a minute or longer. If you're getting the exact same pattern at the exact same spot all the time, I'm more tempted to believe it's an error with that particular stream than the specific problem that I've encounter, though the pathology could still easily be related.

Indeed annoying, but I spent the last 6 months searching for a television with DSE/banding/flashlighting/clouding levels I can tolerate, and this is the only one of around 12 different contenders I found passable. Everything else has a work around ultimately, but a low quality screen is always going to be just that.

Seems the main problem is no one really knows exactly who to blame, and Samsung is very conveniently hiding behind that. I imagine small minorities of people are off trying to blame Netflix, their receiver manufacturer, etc, etc, but yeah, this is Samsung's problem and as far as I can tell it affects all of their 2013 smart TVs. I really encourage writing a short note to tell them how you feel about this.

Here's the 6300 thread where there's a bit more on the matter: http://www.avsforum.com/t/1467138/official-samsung-un-f6300-series-led-tv-owners-thread/930

Good luck.
Just out of curiosity, have you tested it with both hdmi and optical? Did you get around the issue with a switch/hub?
post #4605 of 5212 Old 03-06-2014, 12:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Zaaaaayyyy View Post

Hey ray,did you link it yet to your cable? Again I would keep the 103 as well instead of the D edition..

yep sure did. The picture improvement is nice!as I stated above the improved skin tones from lowering saturation give the tv a muchhh better picture. No longer looks over saturated and up scaling helps clean it up too. The higher end channels look best tho. Major improvement on sports now too when u fiddle with settings.
Mike Zaaaaayyyy likes this.

TV; samsung 65F7100
post #4606 of 5212 Old 03-06-2014, 02:06 AM

I just bought a UA55F7100 a few days ago. Was an upgrade to my 40" LA40N81. Wow, this tv is NICE! I did a lot of research before buying and this is the one I picked.

I have it set up with live TV and all my movies running from a HTPC (Win 8.1 WMC). I also have Foxtel (satellite tv). Both of these run via HDMI cables into a Yamaha receiver. Then I have one HDMI receiver output to the TV.

I have enabled RGB output on the PC (AMD CCC) and have the TV HDMI input renamed to PC to give the 1:1 pixel mapping etc.

But of course this disables the majority of available display settings. I'm quite happy with how I have the picture set up, but just wonder if there is a better way to do it? Does the Screen Fit option do the same thing? Or does renaming to PC change additional things to make the display work better with the PC?

post #4607 of 5212 Old 03-06-2014, 09:44 AM

Liked: 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by scotsman25 View Post

But of course this disables the majority of available display settings. I'm quite happy with how I have the picture set up, but just wonder if there is a better way to do it? Does the Screen Fit option do the same thing? Or does renaming to PC change additional things to make the display work better with the PC?

Renaming an input to PC turns off basically all post-process image enhancement features to minimize input lag, though in practice this only lowers it by about 5ms from game mode. (43ms vs 38ms or so)

If you're just looking for a 1:1 pixel mapping, screen fit does exactly that.

post #4608 of 5212 Old 03-06-2014, 12:38 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:

Renaming an input to PC turns off basically all post-process image enhancement features to minimize input lag, though in practice this only lowers it by about 5ms from game mode. (43ms vs 38ms or so)

If you're just looking for a 1:1 pixel mapping, screen fit does exactly that.

Interesting. Any idea if it turns off Micro dimming? I'm decently happy with my image settings for my ps4 after using the high brightness trick in game mode, but if pc mode turns off Micro dimming then I might prefer using that.
post #4609 of 5212 Old 03-06-2014, 02:09 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:

This is not correct. Lag in PC mode and Game mode are identical (39ms center) on the F7100.
I know, because I have tested it repeatedly myself with the Bodnar device.

PC mode skips intermediate conversion to Y'CbCr 4:2:2 for standard color processing adjustments.
PC mode also disables CE Dimming.

I don't recommend PC mode for gaming due to the very low color saturation.
To defeat the annoying CE Dimming in Game mode, I recommend the B+WB workaround.
post #4610 of 5212 Old 03-06-2014, 03:35 PM

Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by zeuswsu View Post

Interesting. Any idea if it turns off Micro dimming? I'm decently happy with my image settings for my ps4 after using the high brightness trick in game mode, but if pc mode turns off Micro dimming then I might prefer using that.

There is a glitch I found to disable "micro" dimming in any picture mode here: www.avsforum.com/t/1470900/official-samsung-unxxf7100-owners-thread/4380#post_24334534

Quote:
Originally Posted by rurifan View Post

This is not correct. Lag in PC mode and Game mode are identical (39ms center) on the F7100.
I know, because I have tested it repeatedly myself with the Bodnar device.

PC mode skips intermediate conversion to Y'CbCr 4:2:2 for standard color processing adjustments.
PC mode also disables CE Dimming.

I don't recommend PC mode for gaming due to the very low color saturation.
To defeat the annoying CE Dimming in Game mode, I recommend the B+WB workaround.

It must have been another model I was thinking of. I couldn't stand PC mode because of how grey everything looked:( Even though for other reasons I thought it superior to game mode,  like not being forced into "movie mode" audio.

post #4611 of 5212 Old 03-06-2014, 03:42 PM

Thanks guys, I tried renaming from PC back to something else. All the options were back, but even after a lot of playing and trying some settings posted here, I just couldn't get it right. It was a little too dark...blacks were too black and lost detail. Nothing I tried fixed it.

I seem to have the best picture when I rename to PC and have brightness, contrast etc set to what seems to be the average settings anyway.

Given I have all my inputs going via the receiver, so everything is on one TV input, I have to compromise between what looks good on Blue Ray, mkv, live tv and satellite. 

Hmmmm...

post #4612 of 5212 Old 03-06-2014, 05:58 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I watched 300 on Blu-ray with the 2D to 3D conversion.....

Its mind-blowin' good.... biggrin.gif on the F7100.
post #4613 of 5212 Old 03-07-2014, 08:53 AM

Just picked up the UN60F7100 last week at Best Buy and am very pleased! Was just wondering about some of the advanced calibration settings...

Pirates: Would your calibration settings for Color Space, White Balance and 10p White Balance be advisable for the 60" Sharp display? I have a calibration disc and have used it the last number of years to tweak my other sets' standard picture settings. I'm assuming I might start with your Color Space, White Balance and 10p White Balance settings, then tweak contrast, brightness, sharpness, color and tint using the disc. Any harm in doing it this way?

Thanks in advance and for all the great info in this thread!
post #4614 of 5212 Old 03-07-2014, 09:16 AM

Hi Guys,

I know this has been mentioned before but it did not happen to me until last night. I have cloudiness on 3 spots and I was wondering if you guys have found a fix for this.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

post #4615 of 5212 Old 03-07-2014, 01:12 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by oak1a View Post

Pirates: Would your calibration settings for Color Space, White Balance and 10p White Balance be advisable for the 60" Sharp display? I have a calibration disc and have used it the last number of years to tweak my other sets' standard picture settings. I'm assuming I might start with your Color Space, White Balance and 10p White Balance settings, then tweak contrast, brightness, sharpness, color and tint using the disc. Any harm in doing it this way?

Thanks in advance and for all the great info in this thread!

Movie mode has specific settings.

Standard Mode- same as Movie except Color 44 (Eco Sensor Off or 10) / Color Space – Auto (No 10p White Balance).

No harm in tweaking settings, find the look you prefer.
post #4616 of 5212 Old 03-07-2014, 04:06 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by joker927 View Post

Hi everyone. I just bought this TV to compare to my Samsung 60F5300 however I am having issues. I have never calibrated a TV before but I'm tech savy and have a decent understanding of the basics.

The colors on the TV look great and so do the black levels howvere the whites don't appear white. They have a red hue that makes them appear pink.
I found that lowering the R-gain value dramically from the default (25) to 5 resulted in white whites however this caused the overall color of the set to appear desaturated and less colorful.

Does anyone have any tips to try to get both colors and whites up to par (besides having a pro calibrate it).

Oh and I have both the Disney WOW and Spears and Munsil disks.

Thank you

What you are talking about is the white balance adjustment to fix the problem you have. These are coarse controls to adjust red (green and blue). Red-offset and red-gain. Both controls actually do the same thing, however each one effects different ranges of white.

So say the tv can display levels of white from 0 (black darkest) to 255 (bright white)

Red-offset is to adjust red drive from levels 0 to 128
Reds gain is to adjust red drive from levels 128 to 255

It gets a lot more complicated. Adjusting one will effect the other. Example: raising red-offset will in effect lower red-drive. I'm also leaving a bunch of things out.

These are very coarse adjustments to adjust white balance. The tv also has a 10 point white balance. However I wouldn't do these adjustments by eye.

The adjustment you made is too much. And you only adjusted red for the high range. Put both red settings back at stock and start again. Download a calibration disc and put up the grayscale slides to adjust white balance.

Use:
red-offset to adjust slides 10 to 50 IRE. (Best to use 30ire only for red offset)
Red-drive to adjust slides 50 to 100 IRE (best to use 70ire only for red drive)

In summary use 30 ire slide and adjust red-offset, use 70 ire slide and adjust red-gain

Just remember to adjust one and check the other....

Good luck!

-SiGGy
post #4617 of 5212 Old 03-07-2014, 04:45 PM

Liked: 17
I know this been mention before, trying my best to make the best of motion blurr,tried custom,motion on with 0 judder,worked better then clear motion,not much of a difference,and standard & smooth,camcorder effect is a no for me,any suggestion or tweets?,blu-ray player wouldn't be a problem of course,Oppo bdp-105 is what I own..
post #4618 of 5212 Old 03-08-2014, 07:54 AM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Zaaaaayyyy View Post

I know this been mention before, trying my best to make the best of motion blurr,tried custom,motion on with 0 judder,worked better then clear motion,not much of a difference,and standard & smooth,camcorder effect is a no for me,any suggestion or tweets?,blu-ray player wouldn't be a problem of course,Oppo bdp-105 is what I own..

To be honest I'd wait till the next firmware update before you tweak it too much. It seems like the firmware we are on now messed up the clear motion setting. Before the new firmware clear was always the best for me with little of the soap opera effect you talk about. I'm hoping they revert back to that with newer firmware.
Mike Zaaaaayyyy likes this.
post #4619 of 5212 Old 03-08-2014, 08:58 AM

Issue with facial colors on live broadcasts.

On the CBS Evening News (and others) Scott Pelly's face color looks overly
bright(white) and somewhat washed out. When they cut to a film story
all looks ok. Regualr show broadcasts are fine and nice. Using a local
cable system not air.

Using PirateCoves setttings, but wondering what adjustments I could make
to fix just this issue and not disturb anything else?

I find his settings are great for live sports, but in the Natural setting.
Everything else I set to movie.

Thanks!
post #4620 of 5212 Old 03-08-2014, 09:42 AM

Liked: 23
I am going to pick up the Sony kdl-w900a maybe n a month to go along with my 7100 and from the reviews I've seen on the Sony its even better than the f8000 from Samsung but lacks in the features department as the f8000 has. I guess u can't have your cake and ice cream with TVs Lol
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Samsung Un60f7100 60 Inch 3d Ultra Slim Smart Led Hdtv , Samsung Un46f8000 46 Inch 3d Ultra Slim Smart Led Hdtv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page