Forum Jump: 

Old 03-21-2014, 11:10 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by cchunter View Post

Very happy with my 60in F7100 as well. Picture looks awesome. As far as the Sharp panel I have no issues. I think its very thin. Whats the difference between the Sharp panel in the 60in and the other Samsung panels? Half an inch? Quarter of an inch?
and see that's the thing right there the only difference is the bezel if anyone thinks different they are liars because if u say pq or uniformity issues well I beg to differ for the simple fact all u have to do is scroll through the posts on here from people with Samsung panels and see complaints about pq or uniformity issues Lol
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-22-2014, 02:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 285 Post(s)
Liked: 567
Why can't every channel on Directv look like HGTV. That channel just pops in every way. Anyone else feel the same?

Denon 4520
Klipsch RF-7II's, RC-64II, RS-62II's
SVS SB13 Ultra
Sony BDP-S790, PS4
Panamax 5300PM
Samsung UN60F7100 3D LED
Old 03-22-2014, 02:35 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:

Why can't every channel on Directv look like HGTV. That channel just pops in every way. Anyone else feel the same?

Try Smithsonian HD. Usually very good HD.
Old 03-22-2014, 02:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by asburyf View Post

Try Smithsonian HD. Usually very good HD.
Bah!! I don't get that channel! !

Denon 4520
SVS SB13 Ultra
Sony BDP-S790, PS4
Panamax 5300PM
Samsung UN60F7100 3D LED
Old 03-22-2014, 11:36 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Anybody had their Smart Hub Applications disapear recently? Mine were completely GONE Early yesterday. Not even the Web Browser was left. Really Strange for sure! I did the Smart Hub Reset thing and all was back to normal except for having to re-uninstall the one's I don't want. This Firmware Version 1021 has just got issues and I hope they get a newer one out real soon!eek.gif
Old 03-23-2014, 12:54 AM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgh26 View Post

Anybody had their Smart Hub Applications disapear recently? Mine were completely GONE Early yesterday. Not even the Web Browser was left. Really Strange for sure! I did the Smart Hub Reset thing and all was back to normal except for having to re-uninstall the one's I don't want. This Firmware Version 1021 has just got issues and I hope they get a newer one out real soon!eek.gif

This happened to me a couple firmwares ago. it's not unique to 1201.
mgh26 likes this.
Old 03-23-2014, 12:57 AM

inFAMOUS Second Son on PS4 is the game right now to show off this TV.

Old 03-23-2014, 07:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pg22 View Post

inFAMOUS Second Son on PS4 is the game right now to show off this TV.

you are so right I opened mine last nite and the graphics and detail in this game on this tv is jaw dropping!!!! This tv is amazing with my ps4
Old 03-23-2014, 10:13 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 122
Quote:

HDNet Movies is almost perfect, other channels can show MPEG Noise, Macro-Blocking and Motion Blur due to lower bandwidth and MPEG-4 compression.

3 years ago almost every DirecTV channel looked incredible, especially CNNHD.
Old 03-23-2014, 10:27 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked: 36
I just ordered this from Paul's TV yesterday. Looking forward to replacing my 56" DLP. I grabbed the 60" flavor.

I'll be dialing it in based on these settings:

http://reviews.lcdtvbuyingguide.com/samsung-lcd-tv/samsung-f7100-picture-settings.html

Can't wait !!!
Old 03-23-2014, 10:29 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PiratesCove View Post

HDNet Movies is almost perfect, other channels can show MPEG Noise, Macro-Blocking and Motion Blur due to lower bandwidth and MPEG-4 compression.

3 years ago almost every DirecTV channel looked incredible, especially CNNHD.

My contract w/ the local cable company is up in October. I'm considering DirecTV as I heard the PQ is still very good. I'm assuming folks mean that relative to cable PQ.
Old 03-23-2014, 11:57 AM

Liked: 10
Hey I just started playing Infamous today. Game looks beautiful. My colors look a little washed out and a little red/orange though, what settings do you guys use for game mode???
Old 03-23-2014, 12:00 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 18

So, two rather counter intuitive settings I've been playing with the last few days have been color space: auto and sharpness: 0. For the color space, I always just assumed "native" would be providing the least adulterated picture, but as noted a few pages back, auto is actually the correct setting for this. As for sharpness, I always thought of it as 50 being the "normal" picture that you can either make blurrier or crisper by moving it one direction or the other (not that I ever kept it on 50, way too high), but as it turns out the original picture is 0 and anything higher subjects the picture to processing that tries to enhance edges, and adds plenty of artifacts when doing so. Why sharpness is even a setting on a digital 1080p signal is almost baffling, but I guess people are so used to seeing those artifacts it might be hard to live without them.

Anyway, just a couple tips for someone still tweaking their display. I've really gotten the colors to pop (something I had yet to experience, even when I thought I had); sometimes I forget I'm looking at a TV screen it's so lifelike.

====

Adding full settings per request:

(Before making any of these changes, pick whether you want game mode: on or off, and set BD wise: off in advance, as changing these afterwards can alter the settings changes you just made)

Picture Mode: Standard

Backlight: 12

Contrast: 100

Brightness: 45

Sharpness: 0

Color: 50

Tint: G50/R50

Picture Size: Screen fit (unless you're dealing with a non-HDMI source, or one that is being under or overscaled (something you should really disable))

3D (not currently using this at all)

=Advanced settings

Dynamic Contrast: Off

Black Tone: Off

Flesh Tone: 0

RGB Only: Off

Color Space: Auto

White Balance: Reset to defaults (25 down the board)

10p White Balance: Off

Gamma: 0

Expert Pattern: Off

Motion Lighting: Off

=Picture Options

Color Tone: Standard

Digital Clean View/ MPEG Noise Filter: Off (I'm not too sure about these yet, but for a 1080p signal, they seem to only degrade PQ when set to anything but off. Might be more useful for 720HD/480SD signals)

HDMI Black level: Low (This might not be an option depending on your source, not sure why or what triggers it)

Film mode: Off (Unavailable, probably only for SD sources)

Auto Motion Plus: Off (This is a preference thing depending on how much you can tolerate judder/blurring. Any setting besides Off WILL introduce image artifacts.)

Cinema Black: Low (I have yet to figure out what this does lol)

I also have all eco settings turned off. A low sharpness value (10-20) might be better for 720/480 sources.

Another thing to note is that these settings will trigger auto-dimming (CE Dimming). I've come to the point where I actually prefer it for most content, but here is my post on a glitch that turns it off: http://www.avsforum.com/t/1470900/official-samsung-unxxf7100-owners-thread/4380#post_24334534

emileg and macmane like this.
Old 03-23-2014, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KPunk View Post

Hey I just started playing Infamous today. Game looks beautiful. My colors look a little washed out and a little red/orange though, what settings do you guys use for game mode???
I play on standard mode and my colors are deep and rich
emileg likes this.
Old 03-23-2014, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KPunk View Post

Is your TV set to movie mode or standard? I use pirates cove settings but movie mode was always far too washed out. I play (and watch everything) on standard. "Natural" has too much pop.
Old 03-23-2014, 05:52 PM
Advanced Member

Anybody try the settings I posted earlier? He's clearly a professional calibrater, I'm interested to see what you guys think. I don't have my set yet so I can't see for myself.
Old 03-24-2014, 03:11 AM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by pg22 View Post

This happened to me a couple firmwares ago. it's not unique to 1201.

Thanks alot for the reply. I never had seen it before now. BUT..... There is a new Firmware update just out, Ver 1122.2 & I installed it late tonight. So Far, the picture seems to have no bad affects and FINALLY the NetFlix application is fixed. The Web Browser & other applications seem to launch faster as they had before so it seems that this on-line update has worked out very good so far.rolleyes.gif
macmane likes this.
Old 03-24-2014, 04:38 AM

Liked: 12
Quote:

Thanks alot for the reply. I never had seen it before now. BUT..... There is a new Firmware update just out, Ver 1122.2 & I installed it late tonight. So Far, the picture seems to have no bad affects and FINALLY the NetFlix application is fixed. The Web Browser & other applications seem to launch faster as they had before so it seems that this on-line update has worked out very good so far.rolleyes.gif

I've had terrible lag lately with the apps. Hopefully 1122 will help. I'm on 1121 but will update as soon as I get home today....

Old 03-24-2014, 07:09 AM

Liked: 10

I tried s1njin's settings above on a UN55F6400. They look excellent on live content using source RVU (Directv). (Channel 212 or locals)

I made a couple changes from the above settings...

Brightness = 37

Auto Motion Plus = OFF or CLEAR

I'm switching back & forth between the 2.

Flesh tones look extremely natural & the texture is excellent. I dropped the brightness a little bit as 45 looked a little too washed out or cloudy

Old 03-24-2014, 07:20 AM

Quote:

did u do a factory reset mgh?
Old 03-24-2014, 08:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by s1njin View Post

Anybody try the settings I posted earlier? He's clearly a professional calibrater, I'm interested to see what you guys think. I don't have my set yet so I can't see for myself.

Gonna have to give this a chance. I am on standard mode with my own tweaks but between you guys and the pros insisting on movie mode plus tweaks, maybe it's time I give it a shot. Won't lose anything by trying them out. Thanks s1njin....

Rey

Old 03-24-2014, 10:00 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 122
Quote:

Thanks for the information on the update.
Old 03-24-2014, 10:42 AM

Quote:

This is why you don't want DirectTV. Satellite is very bandwidth constrained, so almost all of the channels are using extremely low bitrates that makes them look ghastly bad.
Old 03-24-2014, 10:43 AM

I just received the 46" F7100 as a replacement from BB for my beloved Panasonic ST60 that had irreversible burn in. I'm very happy with screen uniformity and color, no banding at all either. But I have a major issue with picture quality while watching regular HD cable tv. My provider is RCN, if that matters. There is a fuzziness throughout the entire screen that I just always notice when watching tv. It makes the images less crisp and creates horrible artifacting during motion or on dark scenes, hard for me to explain other than it looks like heavy compression artifacting. I have a 2013 Sony tv in my living room and it does not have this issue at all, the Panasonic did not have this issue either. I will try blu-ray tonight. Could this just be the way the tv handles compression- it exposes it more than other tv's do? My panel is a Samsung panel I believe, TS-- are the 1st 2 letters. I've played around with every setting within the tv , nothing changes. Thanks for any input.
Old 03-24-2014, 10:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rurifan View Post

This is why you don't want DirectTV. Satellite is very bandwidth constrained, so almost all of the channels are using extremely low bitrates that makes them look ghastly bad.
DirectTV is SO much better than Charter Cable. There is a night and day difference IMO. So if you don't like DirectTV then what do you suggest?
Rey L likes this.

Denon 4520
SVS SB13 Ultra
Sony BDP-S790, PS4
Panamax 5300PM
Samsung UN60F7100 3D LED
Old 03-24-2014, 10:51 AM
Advanced Member

I've heard DTV is great, I've heard it sucks. *shrug*
Old 03-24-2014, 10:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I've heard DTV is great, I've heard it sucks. *shrug*
DTV is the best picture I've seen yet as far as cable goes. I mean there is no comparison. I had Charter Cable for years and after I made the switch a few weeks ago I was blown away at the PQ compared to Charter. Wasn't even close. Charter is horrible!!
Rey L likes this.

Denon 4520
SVS SB13 Ultra
Sony BDP-S790, PS4
Panamax 5300PM
Samsung UN60F7100 3D LED
Old 03-24-2014, 11:00 AM

Quote:

My contract w/ the local cable company is up in October. I'm considering DirecTV as I heard the PQ is still very good. I'm assuming folks mean that relative to cable PQ.

Note their conclusion at the very end: As you can see, these results show that the F7100 is very well calibrated out of the box

Look at the graphs, the difference is very minor before and after their professional calibration. Anybody interested in accuracy would be best off not touching the settings in Movie mode. (But reality is that most people don't actually want accuracy.)
Old 03-24-2014, 11:05 AM

Quote:

DirectTV is SO much better than Charter Cable. There is a night and day difference IMO. So if you don't like DirectTV then what do you suggest?

I don't watch broadcast TV, but a friend had DirectTV for years and almmost everything was muddy and overcompressed. Quality improvement was extremely obvious when he switched to Comcast cable a couple years ago. (Cable has a lot more bandwidth available to them.)
Old 03-24-2014, 12:22 PM

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by rurifan View Post

I don't watch broadcast TV, but a friend had DirectTV for years and almmost everything was muddy and overcompressed. Quality improvement was extremely obvious when he switched to Comcast cable a couple years ago. (Cable has a lot more bandwidth available to them.)

My experience with cable vs sat - I had Time Warner cable for a number of years. My biggest issues were service outages and equipment failures. After three years of Directv I've had no equipment issues. Everything works. The only service outages are during the rare, very heavy rainstorm, and even then it typically only stays out for a few minutes. I can even track thunderstorms by Directv! I know when its out that the worst of the storm is to my southwest, and will be here soon!

I'm sure cable companies differ, but Directv vs Time Warner, no comparison. Directv has better boxes, and in my opinion better PQ.

Tags
Samsung Un60f7100 60 Inch 3d Ultra Slim Smart Led Hdtv , Samsung Un46f8000 46 Inch 3d Ultra Slim Smart Led Hdtv
Gear in this thread