Forum Jump: 

post #5041 of 5233 Old 05-02-2014, 07:49 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wirth05 View Post

Anyone using a Yamaha rx-v575 avr with the f7100? Seems to be a good buy, just making sure there are no incapability issues.
I have that combo
No issues I have a blueray; DirectTV and AppleTV going through the Yamaha then to 7100.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #5042 of 5233 Old 05-02-2014, 12:19 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wirth05 View Post

Anyone using a Yamaha rx-v575 avr with the f7100? Seems to be a good buy, just making sure there are no incapability issues.

Quote:
Originally Posted by heresnowhy View Post

That Yamaha would be just fine for your application. As for your other question; You would connect your STB to the receiver via HDMI and your receiver via HDMI to the TV's HDMI 2 port labeled ARC. No optical cable is required in this scenario. I know on my older Yamaha Zone 2 works with the radio and can be assigned from any of the existing analog inputs to Zone 2.

I have the Yamaha RX-V673 and the sound as good as it gets with my 40-year-old JBL Century L100 speakers. The only annoyance with ARC and HDMI control is that after correctly recognizing the cable box (on HDMI2) or Apple TV (on HDMI 3), the receiver switches to AV4. The picture remains but the sound goes silent. There are two remedies.One is to each time press HDMI 2 or 3 on the remote to immediately bring back the correct sound source. The other is to get rid of ARC and HDMI control and use optical cables instead. I have chosen the former to reduce the spaghetti in the back and to make it easier for my wife to operate. This is a known defect to Yamaha and other receiver manufacturers, but none of their engineers choose to fix the problem. We have had the TV and receiver for a year now and have learned to live with pressing the button. It only happens when you first turn the equipment on.
post #5043 of 5233 Old 05-02-2014, 01:32 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by emileg View Post

I have the Yamaha RX-V673 and the sound as good as it gets with my 40-year-old JBL Century L100 speakers. The only annoyance with ARC and HDMI control is that after correctly recognizing the cable box (on HDMI2) or Apple TV (on HDMI 3), the receiver switches to AV4. The picture remains but the sound goes silent. There are two remedies.One is to each time press HDMI 2 or 3 on the remote to immediately bring back the correct sound source. The other is to get rid of ARC and HDMI control and use optical cables instead. I have chosen the former to reduce the spaghetti in the back and to make it easier for my wife to operate. This is a known defect to Yamaha and other receiver manufacturers, but none of their engineers choose to fix the problem. We have had the TV and receiver for a year now and have learned to live with pressing the button. It only happens when you first turn the equipment on.

This I believe is a widespread concern from all receivers connected CEC to a Samsung TV. Cable boxes are not CEC compliant, therefore not detected on powerup. It will always revert to the input it detects on powerup. My Harman Kardon, Pioneer, Yamaha, and Onkyo all did this same thing..
post #5044 of 5233 Old 05-02-2014, 01:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 180 Post(s)
Liked: 479
Quote:

This I believe is a widespread concern from all receivers connected CEC to a Samsung TV. Cable boxes are not CEC compliant, therefore not detected on powerup. It will always revert to the input it detects on powerup. My Harman Kardon, Pioneer, Yamaha, and Onkyo all did this same thing..
My Denon also does the same thing. Its not a big deal once you get used to it.

Denon 4520
Klipsch RF-7II's, RC-64II, RS-62II's
SVS SB13 Ultra
Sony BDP-S790, PS3
Panamax 5300PM
Samsung UN60F7100 3D LED
post #5045 of 5233 Old 05-02-2014, 05:05 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 112
Quote:
Originally Posted by emileg View Post

Jumping from 1122 to 1200 sounds like a major update. I noticed Skype is available, but our TVs do not have cameras

I updated to Firmware Version 1200 and it looks excellent.

The picture quality processing is superb, especially motion handling.

The F7100 has all the Motion Control Smart Features of the F8000, except the camera.

The third USB port down is labeled TV/CAMERA.

I think Fw. Ver. 1200 has some of that improved H series motion.
post #5046 of 5233 Old 05-02-2014, 05:21 PM

Quote:

Since it's an issue with the cable box. I wonder if it would fix the issue to run cable box into my xbox one and then into the avr. I actually like the tv features of xbox one anyway.... Come in from work and just say "xbox watch espn" ...
post #5047 of 5233 Old 05-02-2014, 06:16 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
are people still doing a full factory reset after updating?
Should I be doing this after each factory reset?
If so why?

thanks
post #5048 of 5233 Old 05-02-2014, 07:29 PM

Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrkyymrk View Post

are people still doing a full factory reset after updating?
Should I be doing this after each factory reset?
If so why?

thanks
I have never done a factory reset after updating as I didn't perceive a need to. Others have had different experiences, perhaps because they were using different equipment with the TV or making greater use of the Smart Hub. I just use the DVR, Samsung BluRay, and Apple TV. I only go to the Smart Hub for Amazon Instant Video, which is not on Apple TV.
post #5049 of 5233 Old 05-03-2014, 06:30 AM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by npat3 View Post

Yes, I also started to experience this last week. Pressing "menu" also brightened the picture for me, but when I closed the menu, it became dark again. Turning the TV off and then back on also resolved it, as Slow Ride described. I updated to firmware 1118, and it happened again..so I turned the TV off and on, and the problem has not come back so far. I will try a reset in a few days (since most people suggest doing so after the firmware updates). Hopefully, it is just a firmware issue, as I have owned the set for almost 5 months and never had the issue before.

I wanted to follow-up on this post from several months ago. I continued to have a problem with the TV turning on and having a dim backlight. It became progressively worse and eventually happened every 2 days. I called Samsung and they sent a local repair person out. He replaced the motherboard under warranty and I have not experienced the problem in 2 weeks. So, if anybody is experiencing a similar issue, I recommend having someone check it out before you start to get other problems or go out of warranty.
post #5050 of 5233 Old 05-03-2014, 10:59 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 16
I have too much pink at times in my whites. I really notice it when watching hockey. Can someone give me some advice on what custom setting to adjust. Would it be my whites or my color space settings ? Thanks
post #5051 of 5233 Old 05-03-2014, 03:09 PM

Liked: 11
I have suddenly developed a blue dotted vertical line through the right-side of my screen on my UN60F7100. In the pictures below, you can actually see it fades slightly towards the bottom of the screen. I bought the TV new from Best Buy about six months ago and have not had any problems with it until now.

I already called Samsung and they are sending out a tech to fix it under warranty. I just wanted to post here to see if anyone else has had this problem and to ask if anyone thought that the issue could be from my son hitting the TV. I don't know that he has ever hit the TV, but the first thing I thought about when I saw the line was that someone had to of hit the TV. There are no cracks or scratches though.

I'm pretty sure that it is hardware related and not software., but so far I have completely power-cycled the TV, done a factory reset, and made sure all updates are installed.

post #5052 of 5233 Old 05-03-2014, 04:12 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by willywonkaisrsh View Post

I have suddenly developed a blue dotted vertical line through the right-side of my screen on my UN60F7100. In the pictures below, you can actually see it fades slightly towards the bottom of the screen. I bought the TV new from Best Buy about six months ago and have not had any problems with it until now.

I already called Samsung and they are sending out a tech to fix it under warranty. I just wanted to post here to see if anyone else has had this problem and to ask if anyone thought that the issue could be from my son hitting the TV. I don't know that he has ever hit the TV, but the first thing I thought about when I saw the line was that someone had to of hit the TV. There are no cracks or scratches though.

I'm pretty sure that it is hardware related and not software., but so far I have completely power-cycled the TV, done a factory reset, and made sure all updates are installed.

As far as this problem goes, I also had a issue like yours on a ES7100 a while back & it turned out to be a bad Panel. I was able to slightly flex the panel frame & the line came & went but always returned. I believe you will need a new Panel as well. I don't think the issue was caused by your son or you would most likely see some damage to the screen surface. Good Luck with the Samsug repair. I hope you manage to get a good Panel replacement the first time if does have to get replaced.
post #5053 of 5233 Old 05-03-2014, 04:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PiratesCove View Post

I updated to Firmware Version 1200 and it looks excellent.

The picture quality processing is superb, especially motion handling.

The F7100 has all the Motion Control Smart Features of the F8000, except the camera.

The third USB port down is labeled TV/CAMERA.

I think Fw. Ver. 1200 has some of that improved H series motion.

I also did the Ver 1200 Update & ithe picture looks excellent & Motion as well. Thanks PiratesCove for the update information.

There was question asked about having to do a Factory Reset after a Firmware Update. In the past I have had to do a Factory Reset after firmware updates to resolve issues that had cropped up directly after the update but only when I noticed non-functional or strange issues that weren't there before the update. So far, the Factory Reset has always resolved those type of issues for me. This Version 1200 update went very well for my TV and everything as far as I could tell was completely normal without any Factory reset required. SO.... I did a reset anyways and did not see any performance changes for the better so it was just a LOT of unnecessary work this time for sure.rolleyes.gif
post #5054 of 5233 Old 05-03-2014, 06:26 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgh26 View Post

I also did the Ver 1200 Update & ithe picture looks excellent & Motion as well. Thanks PiratesCove for the update information.

SO.... I did a reset anyways and did not see any performance changes for the better so it was just a LOT of unnecessary work this time for sure.rolleyes.gif

+1, Unless I have a serious issue I won't Factory Reset.

It takes over an hour to re-enter all the settings, and set-up the remote.
post #5055 of 5233 Old 05-03-2014, 06:34 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by willywonkaisrsh View Post

I have suddenly developed a blue dotted vertical line through the right-side of my screen on my UN60F7100.

That really sucks....I had a similar line on my Samsung A850.

Its a t-con board connection issue - the whole panels definitely needs replacing.

Unfortunately, it can happen over time as the bonds separate.

As was mentioned before, best of luck getting an "acceptable" replacement panel from Samsung.

I was 0/3, three times (A, D and ES series sets) which led to me getting the F7100.
post #5056 of 5233 Old 05-03-2014, 07:10 PM

Pirate, what current settings are you using? Any changes?
post #5057 of 5233 Old 05-03-2014, 07:12 PM

I feel like turning sharpness down <20 hurts detail but improves image noise (ants around objects). What's the perfect compromise?

Edit: I turned sharpness down on my cable box (time warner motorola dvr) and the ants seem to be less noticeable. Default on my twc box is "3" I've turned it down to "1". Any thoughts?
post #5058 of 5233 Old 05-04-2014, 06:23 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by slow ride View Post

I have too much pink at times in my whites. I really notice it when watching hockey. Can someone give me some advice on what custom setting to adjust. Would it be my whites or my color space settings ? Thanks

Bump. Any suggestions ?
post #5059 of 5233 Old 05-04-2014, 06:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 159 Post(s)
Liked: 623
Quote:

Bump. Any suggestions ?
You would really need a meter so you can adjust your grayscale correctly. It would be done through your 2pt or 10pt white balance settings. It is not something that can really be set using your eye.
post #5060 of 5233 Old 05-04-2014, 06:34 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:Originally Posted by Wirth05

Pirate, what current settings are you using? Any changes?

These Settings:

Official Samsung UNXXF7100 Owners Thread

Last edited by PiratesCove; 06-27-2014 at 09:49 PM.
post #5061 of 5233 Old 05-04-2014, 10:34 AM

Channel Guide Help

I've read the forums and can't seem to find the answer I need. Can someone give me a hand with configuring the guide?

I have a DirecTV DVR connected to the TV via an HDMI cable on the first input. I would like to use the Samsung remote only.

When I hit the guide button, it brings up the Samsung guide with all of the channels.
  • Can it be configured to load the DirecTV guide instead of the Samsung guide?
    - (Selecting More -> Second Menu - > GuideSTB brings up the DirectTV Guide from the DTV box. Can I swap functionality of the Guide button to this menu item?)
  • If not can it be configured to load the Samsung guide on the current channel, instead of always defaulting to channel 1?
  • If not can it be configured to only show channels I want? I've edited the list in Menu -> Broadcast -> Edit Channel, but this only appears to have modified the list displayed by selecting Menu -> Broadcast - Channel List.

DirecTV Genie Question

I have DirecTV, 1 Compatible RVU TV (The 7100), and two non compatible TVs.
  • If I get the Genie, do I have to use the big HD box on the main RVU TV?
  • If not, should I? What would be the advantage of doing this? Speed? Quality?
  • If not, what plugs into the RVU TV? Essentially, how is the signal getting from the box to my TV? Is it through the coax cable wire, power cable or ethernet/wifi network?
  • What input does the TV need to be on? I have a GoogleTV box. My DTV box plugs into it, and then it plugs into the TV. I can access it on screen at any time without changing inputs.
  • Would using the RVU improve my smart TV experience in any way, such as solving the guide issues I listed above?

Hidden / Expert / Service Menu
  • Does this TV have one? My old Samsung DLP had an extra hidden expert / service menu with advanced calibration features. It required resetting the TV into the specific mode.

Calibration

Has anyone used a spyder3elite for calibration? I have one and I'm curious if it would be worth my time to purchase the TV calibration software.

Thank you for the help everyone!
post #5062 of 5233 Old 05-04-2014, 12:07 PM

Quote:

Bump. Any suggestions ?

I also had a very slight pink hue in my whites in Standard Mode. Movie is just perfect out of the box. To help with the Standard whites, I lowered my Contrast setting to a point where the pink hue disappeared. I used the expert pattern #1 to view this while adjusting. Start at Contrast at 100 & turn down until the pink hue goes away. Mine disappears around a Contrast setting of 93. I am able to bring up the Contrast to 96 if I lower the 2 point white balance Red gain from default 25 down to 21. All offsets & Green & Blue gains are also at the default of 25. You really do need a meter to get these settings dialed in but try this & you may just get good results as I did. My Gray Scale looks Excellent in Standard on my F7100 where as my older defective ES7100 stayed Pink tinged NO Matter what I tried in every Picture mode including Movie Mode. Hope this helps you.
PiratesCove likes this.
post #5063 of 5233 Old 05-04-2014, 12:48 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 14

Would you say these can apply to other Samsungs (ie F6300) or F7100 only?

post #5064 of 5233 Old 05-04-2014, 01:25 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I also had a very slight pink hue in my whites in Standard Mode. Movie is just perfect out of the box. To help with the Standard whites, I lowered my Contrast setting to a point where the pink hue disappeared. I used the expert pattern #1 to view this while adjusting. Start at Contrast at 100 & turn down until the pink hue goes away. Mine disappears around a Contrast setting of 93. I am able to bring up the Contrast to 96 if I lower the 2 point white balance Red gain from default 25 down to 21. All offsets & Green & Blue gains are also at the default of 25. You really do need a meter to get these settings dialed in but try this & you may just get good results as I did. My Gray Scale looks Excellent in Standard on my F7100 where as my older defective ES7100 stayed Pink tinged NO Matter what I tried in every Picture mode including Movie Mode. Hope this helps you.

Ok thanks I will give it a try. I appreciate yours and Eric's reply.
post #5065 of 5233 Old 05-04-2014, 03:09 PM

Can someone explain to me how I can output audio via the optical out connection? I only see options to output to external speakers,TV speakers, receiver (I can not select this), and soundshare (I can not select this). Perhaps I am looking in the wrong place? I need to output the audio that is coming into the TV via the coax connection (over the air antenna) to my receiver. Thanks in advance for any help!
post #5066 of 5233 Old 05-04-2014, 04:25 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fshbrsh View Post

Would you say these can apply to other Samsungs (ie F6300) or F7100 only?

I'm not sure, try them and see how it looks.
post #5067 of 5233 Old 05-04-2014, 04:30 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

+1, Great advice for accuracy in Standard Mode.

I use Movie Mode for accuracy, I don't expect that for Standard.

I only use Standard for Xbox360 gaming. So I don't mind less accuracy and more POP.

I don't mind the white clipping at Contrast 100, but colors look too saturated above Color setting at 44.
post #5068 of 5233 Old 05-05-2014, 05:21 AM

Liked: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by trubrewcrew View Post

Can someone explain to me how I can output audio via the optical out connection? I only see options to output to external speakers,TV speakers, receiver (I can not select this), and soundshare (I can not select this). Perhaps I am looking in the wrong place? I need to output the audio that is coming into the TV via the coax connection (over the air antenna) to my receiver. Thanks in advance for any help!

I believe the optical is continuously outputting. I've hooked it up a few times for various reasons and it just worked.....
post #5069 of 5233 Old 05-05-2014, 08:43 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8ebok24 View Post

Could someone explain to me how to use the PIP like I'm 5 years old.  I've tried to read up on it, but it's just not clicking on what exactly I have to do.

Press the MORE button on the remote. Select PIP on the third screen. Turn PIP on. Select AIR or CABLE depending on what you have connected to the Antenna In connection in the back of the TV. Then select channel and position. What problem are you having?
emileg likes this.

PSN brakel

post #5070 of 5233 Old 05-05-2014, 08:48 AM

What do I connect to Antenna In?

Do I buy a separate Antenna?

I have my cable box connected to my hdmi 1, do I connect aux cables from the cable box to the tv too? Do I need a separate cable box?

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Samsung Un60f7100 60 Inch 3d Ultra Slim Smart Led Hdtv , Samsung Un46f8000 46 Inch 3d Ultra Slim Smart Led Hdtv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page