Official Samsung UNXXF7100 Owners Thread - Page 172 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #5131 of 5204 Old 05-28-2014, 04:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Agreed but in this situation not even the same ingredients. The whole panel lottery just stinks. Samsung is betting on 99.9 percent of its consumers either never figuring it out or not caring.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #5132 of 5204 Old 05-28-2014, 05:36 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by wmmania View Post

I made it. I successully calibrated my F7100. sRGB 100% (Thanx, PiratesCove.)

Average gamma: 2.21

contrast  3185:1

Average Δ E: 0.4

( Default Standard mode Δ E: 26.21 
PiratesCove movie mode Δ E: 6.55 )

The thing was BLUE! Blue becomes somewhat weaker.

Other's setting is not always right d/t the fact that every panel is somewhat different!

So it's important to calibrate your own TV  !!

I like F7100 so much. smile.gif

Have you tried a bt.1886 gamma? Hard to dial in with the 10 pt and 2pt but it does impove shadow detail.

What did you measure for black level? Did you use a checker board patern?

-SiGGy
post #5133 of 5204 Old 05-29-2014, 08:09 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by theroys88 View Post

I could not disagree with your opinion more. We are not talking about a few capacitors. This is the panel we are talking about. All the best electronics cannot overcome a bad panel. These panels have different pixel technology and are inferior in contrast, black levels, contrast ratios, response times, and off axis viewing. Samsung no longer releases contrast ratios because these non Samsung panels differ as much as 50% in CR. Samsung sends only sets with Samsung panels to raters. Why do you think that? This is my third Samsung set and the first without a Samsung panel. My last two had great black levels and great contrast. Both had a fantastic picture. Both had clouding. A problem that seems to still plague Samsung sets. My new set with a AU Optronics AMVA panel has no clouding, flash lighting,ghosting or uniformity issues. What it does have is a very average picture with average blacks and CR. Though not illegal this practice by Samsung is unfortunate. We are not talking apples to apples. These panels are manufactured from different pixel technology which is accepted in the industry as inferior. Tiered as follows: 1.Samsung 2.Sharp 3.AUO 4.CMO

I don't know if everything you wrote is true, but clearly who made the panel matters. The point I was trying to make is that perhaps it's worth unboxing the tv and having a look before deciding whether you like the picture.
post #5134 of 5204 Old 05-29-2014, 08:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Personally I like to get the purchase right the first time. This time I fell short of that. I did not due enough research before purchasing this set. If I had I would have bought locally so I could control whip panel I purchased. Unfortunately my wife loves the set so I am keeping it. Don't get me wrong, Samsung panels have their issues. Mainly clouding. My last two Samsung sets had clouding. One worse then the other. I lived with it because those sets had such a great picture. I do appreciate Sony's stand to use only Sony panels. I hope that Samsung will abandon this practice in the future. Would love to hear from any members with a AUO panel and their thoughts and impressions.smile.gif
post #5135 of 5204 Old 05-30-2014, 09:49 AM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by theroys88 View Post

Personally I like to get the purchase right the first time. This time I fell short of that. I did not due enough research before purchasing this set. If I had I would have bought locally so I could control whip panel I purchased. Unfortunately my wife loves the set so I am keeping it. Don't get me wrong, Samsung panels have their issues. Mainly clouding. My last two Samsung sets had clouding. One worse then the other. I lived with it because those sets had such a great picture. I do appreciate Sony's stand to use only Sony panels. I hope that Samsung will abandon this practice in the future. Would love to hear from any members with a AUO panel and their thoughts and impressions.smile.gif

Sony uses panels from other manufacturers; for example the Sony W802A from last year was an LG IPS panel.

Backlight uniformity issues (clouding, flashlighting, banding) are fundamental to the LED side lit technology, you're going to have that problem no matter who made it. The Samsung panels with extremely thin bezel (all F7100 except the 60") may be extra fragile and succeptible to warping of the backlight diffusion layer during handling. I have personal experience with that, seeing a clean set develop major uniformity issues after I manhandled it down to fix the stand's leaning.

Look forward to the 2014 full array LED backlight sets from Vizio and Toshiba; some day we'll be rid of this wretched side lit technology.
post #5136 of 5204 Old 05-31-2014, 08:10 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi all hope everyone is having a great weekend I have the 60" and was wondering if anyone could recommend some settings for gaming please and thanks smile.gif
post #5137 of 5204 Old 05-31-2014, 11:24 PM

-Picture menu
Picture Mode: Standard
Backlight: 10
Contrast: 90
Brightness: 44
Sharpness: 8
Color: 50
Tint: G50/R50

-Advanced Settings menu
Dynamic Contrast: Off
Black Tone: Off
Flesh Tone: 0
RGB Only Mode: Off

--Color Space submenu
White Balance (see below)
10p White Balance Off
Gamma +1
Expert Pattern Off
Motion Lighting Off

--Color Space Submenu
Color Space: Custom
Red: R 52 G 0 B 0
Green: R 0 G 50 B 0
Blue: R 0 G 0 B 56
Yellow: R 50 G 50 B 0
Cyan: R 0 G 50 B 50
Magenta: R 51 G 0 B 53

--White Balance sub menu
R Offset 26
G Offset 26
B Offset 26
R Gain 25
G Gain 25
B Gain 25

Picture Options Menu
Color Tone: Warm2
Digital Clean View: Off
MPEG Noise Filter: Off
HDMI Black Level: Low
Film Mode: Off
Auto Motion Plus: Off
Cinema Black: Low

Try these setting and see how you like them
mayala03 and ygrene321 like this.
post #5138 of 5204 Old 06-01-2014, 12:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartan36 View Post

-Picture menu
Picture Mode: Standard
Backlight: 10
Contrast: 90
Brightness: 44
Sharpness: 8
Color: 50
Tint: G50/R50

-Advanced Settings menu
Dynamic Contrast: Off
Black Tone: Off
Flesh Tone: 0
RGB Only Mode: Off

--Color Space submenu
White Balance (see below)
10p White Balance Off
Gamma +1
Expert Pattern Off
Motion Lighting Off

--Color Space Submenu
Color Space: Custom
Red: R 52 G 0 B 0
Green: R 0 G 50 B 0
Blue: R 0 G 0 B 56
Yellow: R 50 G 50 B 0
Cyan: R 0 G 50 B 50
Magenta: R 51 G 0 B 53

--White Balance sub menu
R Offset 26
G Offset 26
B Offset 26
R Gain 25
G Gain 25
B Gain 25

Picture Options Menu
Color Tone: Warm2
Digital Clean View: Off
MPEG Noise Filter: Off
HDMI Black Level: Low
Film Mode: Off
Auto Motion Plus: Off
Cinema Black: Low

Try these setting and see how you like them

Awesome! Thanks so much I will try these out and see how I like them. Do you play with game mode on or off? Thanks again
post #5139 of 5204 Old 06-01-2014, 12:27 AM

You could play with it on and will result in very fast input lag but you do lose a little picture quality. However with these settings there is little notice in input lag. I play games with it off because I have all the settings off it actually makes the TV faster. Enjoy and Cheers smile.gif
post #5140 of 5204 Old 06-02-2014, 01:57 PM

Thanks again Spartan! I put these into two inputs, one for my ps3 and one for ps4 and must say that the picture looks awesome! Thanks again my friend and cheers!
post #5141 of 5204 Old 06-02-2014, 09:00 PM

Your very welcome smile.gif
post #5142 of 5204 Old 06-03-2014, 12:23 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
what size is yur panel?
post #5143 of 5204 Old 06-03-2014, 01:39 PM

If you are asking me...my panel is 60"
post #5144 of 5204 Old 06-04-2014, 01:20 PM

Hello all. I just had a quick question (I hope) on calibration. I have a UN55F7050 which I understand is basically the same as a 7100. Every single guide I see out there tells me to start with movie mode and warm 2 when calibrating. Whenever I go to movie mode and warm 2 the entire picture looks waaay too, well... warm.

Please reference the following article:

http://www.cnet.com/news/what-is-tv-color-temperature-and-why-does-it-matter/

If I bring my color temperature to warm 2 and perform all of the other calibration settings as recommended by lcdtvbuyingguide or cnet or some others I have found here on the forum they all end up looking like the first image in that article. Just way too red. Standard seems to be the only color temperature that looks "right" to me and is closest to the middle image in that article. Is there a reason for this? Am I missing something or does everyone just like their whites to be red and I'm the weird one?

Thanks

post #5145 of 5204 Old 06-04-2014, 01:25 PM

double post.... looks like the link went through after all somehow. I didn't realize it went through moderation. In that case, sorry for being a pain!

post #5146 of 5204 Old 06-04-2014, 01:36 PM

Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanmcde2587 View Post

double post.... looks like the link went through after all somehow. I didn't realize it went through moderation. In that case, sorry for being a pain!
I knw what u mean it takes time for your eyes to adjust but I do like standard more so than movie but I just can't deal,with the screen dimming
post #5147 of 5204 Old 06-04-2014, 02:01 PM

I don't mind movie mode at all! Just not on warm 2 for the color temperature, as soon as I change the color tone to standard on movie mode everything starts to look right.

post #5148 of 5204 Old 06-04-2014, 02:24 PM

Quote:

I don't mind movie mode at all! Just not on warm 2 for the color temperature, as soon as I change the color tone to standard on movie mode everything starts to look right.
maybe warm 1 ? Its not too heavy on the pink hue like warm2 is
post #5149 of 5204 Old 06-04-2014, 03:15 PM

Quote:

Hello all. I just had a quick question (I hope) on calibration. I have a UN55F7050 which I understand is basically the same as a 7100. Every single guide I see out there tells me to start with movie mode and warm 2 when calibrating. Whenever I go to movie mode and warm 2 the entire picture looks waaay too, well... warm.

Please reference the following article:

http://www.cnet.com/news/what-is-tv-color-temperature-and-why-does-it-matter/

If I bring my color temperature to warm 2 and perform all of the other calibration settings as recommended by lcdtvbuyingguide or cnet or some others I have found here on the forum they all end up looking like the first image in that article. Just way too red. Standard seems to be the only color temperature that looks "right" to me and is closest to the middle image in that article. Is there a reason for this? Am I missing something or does everyone just like their whites to be red and I'm the weird one?

Thanks

I don't like warm2 even if it is the most accurate movie calibration (IMO whites are ugly at D65); it's possible you just don't like the movie-standard settings.

You may also want to check that Color Space is not set to Native. That is the default in some modes and results in very oversaturated reds. Use Auto or Custom (even the untouched Custom defaults are better than Native).
post #5150 of 5204 Old 06-04-2014, 04:50 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 16
I watch just about all television in standard mode. Some movies in movie mode, some sports natural but % 95 standard mode warm 2. I have the 60".
post #5151 of 5204 Old 06-04-2014, 05:18 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Most folks don't adjust white color temperature on their work/home computer monitors. As well watch the tv mostly stock for a long time before trying to adjust it. So they get use to colder but brighter appearing stock settings.

Try leaving it on warm 2 for a couple of weeks. Let your eyes adjust. Then after a couple of weeks (dont cheat) try standard mode again. You'll see its very blue, cold and unnatural ;especially skin tones. People look 1/2 in the grave on standard or like they are low on oxygen at times.

Changing the white target also throws off color at low stimulus.

Worth a shot if you give it a fair try... Or don't wink.gif
rlindo likes this.

-SiGGy
post #5152 of 5204 Old 06-04-2014, 07:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked: 126
Quote:
Originally Posted by SiGGy View Post

Most folks don't adjust white color temperature on their work/home computer monitors. As well watch the tv mostly stock for a long time before trying to adjust it. So they get use to colder but brighter appearing stock settings.

Try leaving it on warm 2 for a couple of weeks. Let your eyes adjust. Then after a couple of weeks (dont cheat) try standard mode again. You'll see its very blue, cold and unnatural ;especially skin tones. People look 1/2 in the grave on standard or like they are low on oxygen at times.

Exactly. People who say white looks yellow or red at d65 (or close to d65) have simply been wired to think the higher temp white is white rather than it being blue biased. All it takes is a bit of time to adjust and they'll see white at d65 looks...white! Sadly they don't take the time and just see the accurate image for 3.2 seconds and then say "awful!" and go back to their brain wired wrong temp.

If d65 white looked yellow or red then it wouldn't have become the standard. I often think many don't seem to understand that. Would allllll those people who make a living in all these industries (tv, movies, photos, etc) really use a standard where the white doesn't look white? Am we to believe they're all crazy?

I also don't understand why people wouldn't want to see their content the way it is supposed to look yet hey, to each their own.

I will say that I am sure in some cases one being a bit colour blind will come into play so I can understand them complaining then although they may not realize they are a bit colour blind.

ROB
post #5153 of 5204 Old 06-04-2014, 07:40 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Hey guys just got this TV It's great so far. Whats the best setting for auto motion plus when watching sports? And when watching movies?
post #5154 of 5204 Old 06-05-2014, 04:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 428
Quote:
Originally Posted by slow ride View Post

I watch just about all television in standard mode. Some movies in movie mode, some sports natural but % 95 standard mode warm 2. I have the 60".
I also watch everything in standard mode. 60 incher here as well.

Denon AVR 3312
Klipsch RF-7II's, RC-64II, RS-62II's
SVS SB13 Ultra
Sony BDP-S790, PS3
Panamax 5300PM
Samsung UN60F7100 3D LED
post #5155 of 5204 Old 06-05-2014, 06:26 AM

Quote:

I half took you up on the offer. I moved to warm 1. Actually, after 1 movie my eyes seemed to adjust pretty well to warm 1 already.... perhaps this could be a good thing. I will try it out for a while and see how it looks. If it's not pissing me off like warm 2 was I'll switch it to warm 2 after a while.

Actually, in the professional calibrations that I found online are they messing with any settings that would help the whites look more white? If so maybe I'll just use one of those again and try it out for a couple weeks like you suggested.

Thanks!

post #5156 of 5204 Old 06-05-2014, 06:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cchunter View Post

I also watch everything in standard mode. 60 incher here as well.
I used to watch in standard all the time because warm looked to yellowish but then when I watch it for a week or so I got used to it and switch back to standard and Inotice standard does have a blue tint to it
post #5157 of 5204 Old 06-05-2014, 06:37 AM

But my question is does warm 1 or warm 2 the correct setting? I'm confused about those two
post #5158 of 5204 Old 06-05-2014, 06:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by macmane View Post

But my question is does warm 1 or warm 2 the correct setting? I'm confused about those two

Apparently warm 2 gives you the industry standard color temperature

post #5159 of 5204 Old 06-05-2014, 06:44 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I half took you up on the offer. I moved to warm 1. Actually, after 1 movie my eyes seemed to adjust pretty well to warm 1 already.... perhaps this could be a good thing. I will try it out for a while and see how it looks. If it's not pissing me off like warm 2 was I'll switch it to warm 2 after a while.

Actually, in the professional calibrations that I found online are they messing with any settings that would help the whites look more white? If so maybe I'll just use one of those again and try it out for a couple weeks like you suggested.

Thanks!

All of these settings... warm1, warm2, standard are just targeting a specific white target in the center of the color triangle. They are "presets" to different white balances. You can calibrate with any of them; usually you can hit the D65 with most of them. But not always; and sometimes not without other quirks. It's usually best to start with what is closest to your intended target this will require the least amount of adjustment. If you were calibrating you would put up a white slide and change between standard, warm1, warm2 and see which is closest to the target you wanted.

Look at this...

See that arc in the center? those are all of the whites you can target. (you can target anything, but that curve represents the whites).

Standard might target 8500
Warm1 might be 7500
Warm2 6500 (D65)

Once that point is targeted all other colors between white and the primaries are based from that point. The triangle you see surrounding that arc is the 709 color space. Notice Red, Green, Blue, Yellow, Cyan, Magenta balls? Those are all of the color targets. See the dashed lines that go from the D65 target out to each primary? Every time you change the white target you change those lines. So pick 8500 as a target and draw your own dashed lines. You can see how changing the white target will effect a lot more than you think.

** I used a screenshot from a Sony TV calibration (found via google images); so the dashed lines don't meet perfectly at D65. But you get the idea smile.gif In this case Magenta and Yellow primary color targets are a bit off. Throwing the dashed lines away from D65. If you look close you can see where the yellow and magenta should actually be... square boxes right next to the balls. I'm leaving out a bunch of other things but this covers the basic idea.
emileg, eric3316 and ryanmcde2587 like this.

-SiGGy
post #5160 of 5204 Old 06-05-2014, 06:57 AM

Quote:

All of these settings... warm1, warm2, standard are just targeting a specific white target in the center of the color triangle. They change the white balance and are "presets" to different white balances. You can calibrate with any of them; usually you can hit the D6500 with most of them. But not always; and sometimes not without other quirks. It's usually best to start with what is closest to your intended target this will require the least amount of adjustment. If you were calibrating you would put up a white slide change between standard, warm1, warm2 and see which is closest to the target you wanted.

Look at this...

See that arc in the center? those are all of the whites you can target. (you can target anything, but that curve represents the whites).

Standard might target 8500
Warm1 might be 7500
Warm2 6500 (D65)

Once that point is targeted all other colors between white and the primaries are based from that point. The triangle you see surrounding that arc is the 709 color space. Notice Red, Green, Blue, Yellow, Cyan, Magenta balls? Those are all of the color targets. See the dashed lines that go from the D6500 target out to each primary? Every time you change the white target you change those lines. So pick D8500 as a target and draw your own dashed lines. You can see how changing the white target will effect a lot more than you think.

Wow, thank you for that. That's pretty convincing :) I appreciate you taking the time to explain that. Makes a lot more sense now.

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Samsung Un60f7100 60 Inch 3d Ultra Slim Smart Led Hdtv , Samsung Un46f8000 46 Inch 3d Ultra Slim Smart Led Hdtv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page