post #5161 of 5324 Old 06-05-2014, 08:17 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 122
Quote:
Originally Posted by SiGGy View Post

All of these settings... warm1, warm2, standard are just targeting a specific white target in the center of the color triangle. They are "presets" to different white balances. You can calibrate with any of them; usually you can hit the D6500 with most of them. But not always; and sometimes not without other quirks. It's usually best to start with what is closest to your intended target this will require the least amount of adjustment. If you were calibrating you would put up a white slide change between standard, warm1, warm2 and see which is closest to the target you wanted.

Standard might target 8500
Warm1 might be 7500
Warm2 6500 (D65)

Once that point is targeted all other colors between white and the primaries are based from that point. The triangle you see surrounding that arc is the 709 color space. Notice Red, Green, Blue, Yellow, Cyan, Magenta balls? Those are all of the color targets. See the dashed lines that go from the D6500 target out to each primary? Every time you change the white target you change those lines. So pick D8500 as a target and draw your own dashed lines. You can see how changing the white target will effect a lot more than you think.

+1, Awesome Post !

For further reading on Color Temperature (and picture accuracy):

http://www.curtpalme.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=35322
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #5162 of 5324 Old 06-05-2014, 08:56 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
One issue I'm having with this TV is I can't play 3D Blurays on my PS3.I have an hdmi cable connected from the TV to the PS3 and I can play 3D content from the TV but not on my PS3. When I first turned on my PS3 it adjusted to 1080P then it said that my TV is capable of 3D but it had my screen size at 19 inches I had to adjust to 60 inches. When I put in a 3D movie Cloudy With A Chance Of Meatballs it loads a color box but then nothing happens. When I try another movie a flashlight loads but then again nothing happens. When I play DREDD it loads and I click play in 3D but after 30 seconds of playing it always shuts off and says that I'm not connected to a source. Has this happened to anyone? Can anyone tell me what's going wrong? Thanks
post #5163 of 5324 Old 06-05-2014, 12:08 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked: 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanmcde2587 View Post

Actually, in the professional calibrations that I found online are they messing with any settings that would help the whites look more white?

Sorry, forgot to address this question.

Yes, they do. Just dialing in a white balance preset (color temp) of standard, warm1, warm2 (whatever) doesn't mean your white balance is set correctly/completely. So during calibration if you do choose to use D65 as your target and select warm2 to get you close you would then go adjust both the coarse and fine white balance controls to ensure you are hitting D65 from low to high stimulus. White balance is probably one of the most important things to calibrate in terms of color reproduction. A lot of people don't know but the entire image is based off of a black and white image! Color is applied on top of the black and white image, so if your white balance is off everything is off.

Kinda goes like this...

1. Pick your color temp target
2. Pick what mode (warm1, warm2...) gets you closest
3. Calibrate 2 point coarse white balance (high and low luminance) to your target
4. Calibrate 10 point fine white balance to your target (from low to high luminance in step of 10) i.e. 10 to 100. 10 being dark; 100 be brightest.

Some TV's behave differently; so the steps might be different and or logic be drastically different. But that is the basics. You are missing steps 3 & 4 if you don't have a calibration done. I have seen the out of box white balance on the 65" F7100 with AUO screen and it's not terrible (this is the TV I own). So don't get too caught up in the calibration part, but it would make it more accurate.
ryanmcde2587 likes this.

-SiGGy
post #5164 of 5324 Old 06-05-2014, 01:24 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:

Yes, they do. Just dialing in a white balance preset (color temp) of standard, warm1, warm2 (whatever) doesn't mean your white balance is set correctly/completely. So during calibration if you do choose to use D65 as your target and select warm2 to get you close you would then go adjust both the coarse and fine white balance controls to ensure you are hitting D65 from low to high stimulus. White balance is probably one of the most important things to calibrate in terms of color reproduction. A lot of people don't know but the entire image is based off of a black and white image! Color is applied on top of the black and white image, so if your white balance is off everything is off.

Kinda goes like this...

3. Calibrate 2 point coarse white balance (high and low luminance) to your target
4. Calibrate 10 point fine white balance to your target (from low to high luminance in step of 10) i.e. 10 to 100. 10 being dark; 100 be brightest.

Some TV's behave differently; so the steps might be different and or logic be drastically different. But that is the basics. You are missing steps 3 & 4 if you don't have a calibration done. I have seen the out of box white balance on the 65" F7100 with AUO screen and it's not terrible (this is the TV I own). So don't get too caught up in the calibration part, but it would make it more accurate.
man you are very informative I appreciate this info!! Thanks
post #5165 of 5324 Old 06-05-2014, 01:48 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by camilli View Post

One issue I'm having with this TV is I can't play 3D Blurays on my PS3.I have an hdmi cable connected from the TV to the PS3 and I can play 3D content from the TV but not on my PS3. When I first turned on my PS3 it adjusted to 1080P then it said that my TV is capable of 3D but it had my screen size at 19 inches I had to adjust to 60 inches. When I put in a 3D movie Cloudy With A Chance Of Meatballs it loads a color box but then nothing happens. When I try another movie a flashlight loads but then again nothing happens. When I play DREDD it loads and I click play in 3D but after 30 seconds of playing it always shuts off and says that I'm not connected to a source. Has this happened to anyone? Can anyone tell me what's going wrong? Thanks

Interesting. I have the 60" 7100 as my monitor in my secondary area. I don't watch much 3D because I use an older Denon receiver as an A/V switcher which does not support 3D. However, I used to have it set up in a way which allowed my 120GB "slim" PS3 (the first slim, not the newer "super slim") to be connected directly to the Samsung. It played 3D movies without problem (although the PS3 cannot output lossless audio at the same time). The picture looked fantastic but it always required me to goof around with the cables (I more often watch 2D movies and prefer lossless sound). So, as long as your PS3 is connected directly to your Samsung TV and your setting are adjusted properly in the PS3 video output section I'm honestly not sure what the problem is. You're talking about a PS3 and not a PS4, correct? (PS4 can't run 3D but PS3 can)
post #5166 of 5324 Old 06-05-2014, 02:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 260 Post(s)
Liked: 551
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanmcde2587 View Post

Apparently warm 2 gives you the industry standard color temperature
I use warm 2 all the time with standard

Denon 4520
Klipsch RF-7II's, RC-64II, RS-62II's
SVS SB13 Ultra
Sony BDP-S790, PS4
Panamax 5300PM
Samsung UN60F7100 3D LED
post #5167 of 5324 Old 06-05-2014, 07:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott_lb View Post

Interesting. I have the 60" 7100 as my monitor in my secondary area. I don't watch much 3D because I use an older Denon receiver as an A/V switcher which does not support 3D. However, I used to have it set up in a way which allowed my 120GB "slim" PS3 (the first slim, not the newer "super slim") to be connected directly to the Samsung. It played 3D movies without problem (although the PS3 cannot output lossless audio at the same time). The picture looked fantastic but it always required me to goof around with the cables (I more often watch 2D movies and prefer lossless sound). So, as long as your PS3 is connected directly to your Samsung TV and your setting are adjusted properly in the PS3 video output section I'm honestly not sure what the problem is. You're talking about a PS3 and not a PS4, correct? (PS4 can't run 3D but PS3 can)

Thanks for responding. I have bello hdmi cable connected to back of the ps3 into hdmi port 2. I can turn on the PS3 and play bluray's fine when I try to watch 3d movie it takes forever to load and when it does load the screen flickers like crazy, then it says source can not play. The only 3D movie that I was able to play was Wreck it Ralph, all the others I tried it would flicker and not play. Guess I need to buy a 3D bluray player
post #5168 of 5324 Old 06-07-2014, 02:25 PM

Please need calibration for ps4 Thanks
post #5169 of 5324 Old 06-07-2014, 08:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:

Have you tried a bt.1886 gamma? Hard to dial in with the 10 pt and 2pt but it does impove shadow detail.

What did you measure for black level? Did you use a checker board patern?

I think I read that your panel was a AUO panel version AH01. Have the same panel as that. Did you get a contrast ratio, brightness and black level after calibrating the set.?
post #5170 of 5324 Old 06-08-2014, 08:51 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by theroys88 View Post

Personally I like to get the purchase right the first time. This time I fell short of that. I did not due enough research before purchasing this set. If I had I would have bought locally so I could control whip panel I purchased. Unfortunately my wife loves the set so I am keeping it. Don't get me wrong, Samsung panels have their issues. Mainly clouding. My last two Samsung sets had clouding. One worse then the other. I lived with it because those sets had such a great picture. I do appreciate Sony's stand to use only Sony panels. I hope that Samsung will abandon this practice in the future. Would love to hear from any members with a AUO panel and their thoughts and impressions.smile.gif

I'll post after I get my 65" set from Amazon and let you know what I see from the AUO panel. Seems I too should have looked for the Samsung panel code and not go the Amazon route. Or, maybe settling on the 60" set (Sharp panel.)
From what you mentioned, most likely it will be an AU Optronics panel. Coming from a 2008 Sony, I'm not sure my thoughts and impressions could help.
post #5171 of 5324 Old 06-09-2014, 08:17 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked: 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by theroys88 View Post

I think I read that your panel was a AUO panel version AH01. Have the same panel as that. Did you get a contrast ratio, brightness and black level after calibrating the set.?

I did check it when the panel was new. I usually don't bother measuring black level; as it doesn't serve much purpose other than to report contrast ratio (it also helps set BT.1886). When I did check I believe it was .008fl with the backlight at 5 contrast at 100 (which is quite good).

Also the black level will change a bit when in "standard" mode depending what is being displayed the screen. So it's a bit of a challenge to calibrate that mode. I'll have to re-test with both movie and standard mode and see how much of a difference there is. Sometimes they tweak things during firmware updates; no clue what the TV will do now without testing.

The big gain I found during those sessions was using BT.1886 gamma to get shadow detail to show up more. If I recall BT.1886 was good in movie mode, but perfomed odd in "standard" with the variable backlight. Again I need to revisit. That was 10 firmware updates ago.

Really it's the black level that sets the contrast numbers; I usually dial the set in for around 35-37fl.

35fl peak white with .008fl black == 4,300:1 contrast ratio. Which is quite good for an edge lit LCD. I'll verify all of these things and report back when I can...

-SiGGy
post #5172 of 5324 Old 06-11-2014, 06:31 AM

Firmware update 1200 is out.

post #5173 of 5324 Old 06-12-2014, 07:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nawert View Post
Firmware update 1200 is out.
That update has been out for a month or so now unless u are just now updating yours
post #5174 of 5324 Old 06-12-2014, 07:34 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Firmware version 1200 is pretty stable.

It seems to be the firmware version to keep-

Unless a new version brings major picture improvement or a new/improved feature.
mgh26 likes this.
post #5175 of 5324 Old 06-13-2014, 08:44 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by PiratesCove View Post

Unless a new version brings major picture improvement or a new/improved feature.
Agree picture wise it is very stable. However, since the upgrade my cable box, Xfinity service Motorola MOR200BNR, has delinked from turning on when you hit the red button on the remote. I've tried reset, deleting and reinstalling box to no avail. I was hoping for a firmware update to address it. This happened in one of the earlier versions of firmware updates and was fixed down the road.

Anyone else experiencing this? Am I missing an obvious fix?
post #5176 of 5324 Old 06-13-2014, 02:23 PM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by ffjxc View Post
Agree picture wise it is very stable. However, since the upgrade my cable box, Xfinity service Motorola MOR200BNR, has delinked from turning on when you hit the red button on the remote. I've tried reset, deleting and reinstalling box to no avail. I was hoping for a firmware update to address it. This happened in one of the earlier versions of firmware updates and was fixed down the road.

Anyone else experiencing this? Am I missing an obvious fix?
My Cox Cable box quit turning On with the remote several FW versions ago & has never worked since. Mine still turns Off with the remote & also changes channels & has the guide functional so go & figure.

On a bright side, after this Forum FW update, my Login finally works without a cookie error when using the F7100 Browser. I hope they add the Go to the last new Post function back like it was before though. I guess that problem of mine was Never the Samsung FW after all!
post #5177 of 5324 Old 06-17-2014, 12:50 PM

Been messing around with motion settings and sharpness and at first sharpness at 0 was too blurry for me but I switched auto motion to custom 10 for blur and 3 for judder and led motion on and sharpness at 0 and I actually like the look of the picture itself its not blurry to me anymore for some reason maybe placebo who knows Lol peace
post #5178 of 5324 Old 06-23-2014, 11:29 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 17
I have a F6300 32" HDTV that I use mainly for console and pcgaming and occasional movie/shows watching. I saw at Best Buy a F7100 55" HDTV next to a F6400 of the same size showing the same video and I could notice a clear difference between both models being that the F7100 had almost Kuro/Oled black levels in comparison with the F6400. By reading some reviews of the F7100 all those reviews agree on the fact that "upgrading" from a F6300 to a F7100 makes no sense as the difference between picture quality in both models is minimal. Could it be that the F6400 at Best Buy was not well calibrated and the F7100 actually was calibrated? Do you think in gaming and shows picture quality the F7100 could be an improvement over the F6300 to justify the "upgrade"? Thank you!
post #5179 of 5324 Old 06-24-2014, 05:45 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by PiratesCove View Post

I agree as well. I'm pretty happy now. I have some problems with playback on my direct tv Dvr h 24. I get some motion blurr with recording playback only.
Does anyone know if the newer Dvr's from direct tv have improved any ?
post #5180 of 5324 Old 06-25-2014, 06:37 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by camilli View Post
Hey guys just got this TV It's great so far. Whats the best setting for auto motion plus when watching sports? And when watching movies?

Hey there well for me I watch a lot of hockey and because of the fast paced action I like to just set the automotion to "clear" for that sport alone for everything else I don't even turn it on and have had zero problems. May want to try it out but to each there own. Good luck
post #5181 of 5324 Old 06-25-2014, 07:05 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by mayala03 View Post
Hey there well for me I watch a lot of hockey and because of the fast paced action I like to just set the automotion to "clear" for that sport alone for everything else I don't even turn it on and have had zero problems. May want to try it out but to each there own. Good luck
Hey guys

I was going to mention to all who use this board.. After a year with messing with auto motion plus settings, I have come to the conclusion for the best settings when watching anything.. And it's just to Turn it off! Leave it off for everything.. I turned it off and noticed a improvement in picture quality and after your eyes adjust you will realize that all content is very smooth from movies to sports.. It seems the motion is better with it off and there are no glitches or stutters.. It's perfect smooth.. Blu rays for some reason "look better" to me and again it is perfect smooth.. I was always messing with this damn thing.. To find out it looks noticeably better with it off! Anyways love to hear some comments! Turn it off for a day let your eyes adjust and you will find out it has better picture and it's just a gimmick that doesn't even work right..
post #5182 of 5324 Old 06-25-2014, 07:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrkyymrk View Post
Hey guys

I was going to mention to all who use this board.. After a year with messing with auto motion plus settings, I have come to the conclusion for the best settings when watching anything.. And it's just to Turn it off! Leave it off for everything.. I turned it off and noticed a improvement in picture quality and after your eyes adjust you will realize that all content is very smooth from movies to sports.. It seems the motion is better with it off and there are no glitches or stutters.. It's perfect smooth.. Blu rays for some reason "look better" to me and again it is perfect smooth.. I was always messing with this damn thing.. To find out it looks noticeably better with it off! Anyways love to hear some comments! Turn it off for a day let your eyes adjust and you will find out it has better picture and it's just a gimmick that doesn't even work right..
I have been using custom 10 blur and 4 judder with led clear motion on and ive had pretty good results but I also tried it off and that does have a prettier picture and smooth as well
post #5183 of 5324 Old 06-25-2014, 06:17 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by mayala03 View Post
Smooth for me. I get too much blurr with it set to off
post #5184 of 5324 Old 06-28-2014, 07:49 AM

Liked: 0
Default On TV Menu

When first turning on my 55F7100, the On TV menu is presented with the source (HDMI 1) playing in a small window on the top left - with smaller "coming up" windows across the bottom and right hand side. If I hit ok on the samsung remote it makes the HDMI 1 full screen.

I just upgraded my cable box and I now do not have the ability to select ok from my cable remote. This would mean that when turning the tv on I will have to use two remotes to simply watch cable.

Is there anyway to set the TV to open a default source full screen when turning the tv on instead of always opening the On TV menu and being forced to select the source?
post #5185 of 5324 Old 06-28-2014, 08:51 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
I have two questions, as I feel like my tv my be a bad one... I have the 60inch

1) What panel should I want to have?

2) What calibration are most people using? I can't seem to get a nice picture

Mainly for tv/movies and xbox one

Thanks!
post #5186 of 5324 Old 06-28-2014, 10:07 PM

Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 14
I use PirateCove's calibration. It works really well for me.
post #5187 of 5324 Old 06-29-2014, 05:48 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Have any idea where about it will be on here?

Thanks!
post #5188 of 5324 Old 06-29-2014, 08:12 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sha-non View Post
Have any idea where about it will be on here?

Thanks!

Here is a link to the Settings:

Official Samsung UNXXF7100 Owners Thread
post #5189 of 5324 Old 07-05-2014, 10:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by SiGGy View Post
Quote:Originally Posted by ryanmcde2587 

Actually, in the professional calibrations that I found online are they messing with any settings that would help the whites look more white?

Kinda goes like this...

Siggy,
Thanks for all the calibration help. It has helped. I am starting to enjoy this set. Interesting that I found out that Sony is using AUO panels all the way up the line to their flagship models. There sets are getting great reviews. My first HD set was a 34xbr960. I then got a 70" SXRD set which I dropped 4.5 K. Two years later, green blob and my fight with Sony began. After that I became a Samsung fan. This set being my third since 2007. Thanks again for the help
post #5190 of 5324 Old 07-07-2014, 01:38 PM

Yes, you can go directly to TV watching. There is a setting in the menu somewhere. I am not in front of the TV and I don't exactly remember where but it is there.

UN55F7100
V1116

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Samsung Un60f7100 60 Inch 3d Ultra Slim Smart Led Hdtv , Samsung Un46f8000 46 Inch 3d Ultra Slim Smart Led Hdtv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page