Official Samsung UNXXF7100 Owners Thread - Page 174 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #5191 of 5213 Old 07-07-2014, 04:06 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hey all.

For some reason my previous post didnt go through so if it does pop up I apoligize for the double post.

A little backstory:

In January (2014) I finally upgraded from a 2007 Sharp Aqous to a Pn60f5500 Plasma. I initially enjoyed it but ultimately returned it due to trailing and such when playing games.

My 2nd buy was a Toshiba 58L7300. Big mistake. Clouding, terrible motion and bad blacks.

Ive read about 2300 posts into this thread (So up until August 2013) but i just cant bring myself to read ALL of it.

So my question is, have most if not all the initial issues with this tv been fixed? Clouding, the dimming issue, the power cycling? I really would like to get a 55" of this tv. Apparently its great for gaming. Im on the fence between this and a Sony 55w900a. Input and PQ are both important to me (Ps3,Ps4 and blu-rays)

Im sorry for such a long post. Id really like to be well informed before dropping 1500-2000 on a new panel.

Thank you in advance to anyone who replies and helps me with my decision.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #5192 of 5213 Old 07-08-2014, 07:11 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Polishdebin View Post
Hey all.

For some reason my previous post didnt go through so if it does pop up I apoligize for the double post.

A little backstory:

In January (2014) I finally upgraded from a 2007 Sharp Aqous to a Pn60f5500 Plasma. I initially enjoyed it but ultimately returned it due to trailing and such when playing games.

My 2nd buy was a Toshiba 58L7300. Big mistake. Clouding, terrible motion and bad blacks.

Ive read about 2300 posts into this thread (So up until August 2013) but i just cant bring myself to read ALL of it.

So my question is, have most if not all the initial issues with this tv been fixed? Clouding, the dimming issue, the power cycling? I really would like to get a 55" of this tv. Apparently its great for gaming. Im on the fence between this and a Sony 55w900a. Input and PQ are both important to me (Ps3,Ps4 and blu-rays)

Im sorry for such a long post. Id really like to be well informed before dropping 1500-2000 on a new panel.

Thank you in advance to anyone who replies and helps me with my decision.
I have the 55 inch and it is great for gaming. Power cycling is gone. Dimming has improved. I don't really notice it while gaming. Doesn't bother me on game mode. Clouding depends on luck. It's a gamble as always with edge lit displays. I get zero clouding with a bias light behind tv and back light set to 4 or 6.
post #5193 of 5213 Old 07-08-2014, 11:47 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Does anyone know if I can I get true 5.1 out of my UN557100 optical digital out?

Of note, I connecting to my AV1 input on my new 2014 Yamaha RX-V677.

Thanks in advance.
post #5194 of 5213 Old 07-08-2014, 07:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 14
5.1 from OTA and apps that support DD. Everything else converted to PCM.
post #5195 of 5213 Old 07-09-2014, 05:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theroys88 View Post
5.1 from OTA and apps that support DD. Everything else converted to PCM.
Would this make a siffer
post #5196 of 5213 Old 07-09-2014, 06:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by matrix123 View Post
I have the 55 inch and it is great for gaming. Power cycling is gone. Dimming has improved. I don't really notice it while gaming. Doesn't bother me on game mode. Clouding depends on luck. It's a gamble as always with edge lit displays. I get zero clouding with a bias light behind tv and back light set to 4 or 6.
Thanks for taking the time to reply. Yeah the panel "lottery" posts have me slightly weary of getting a 7100. But on the other side of things I havent read into the w900 and im sure it has just as many uniformity issues/clouding issues as this tv.
post #5197 of 5213 Old 07-09-2014, 06:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shimmy Bang Bang View Post
Would this make a siffer
What is a Siffer?
post #5198 of 5213 Old 07-09-2014, 06:52 AM

Quote:
Thanks for taking the time to reply. Yeah the panel "lottery" posts have me slightly weary of getting a 7100. But on the other side of things I havent read into the w900 and im sure it has just as many uniformity issues/clouding issues as this tv.
Yes they prob will. I just looked into ways to Diminish the clouding. Highly recommend a bias light. Can never go back now. Love the look. Also I had the 60 (3 of them) in which I took back cause of terrible clouding. Read that the 60 in is made by sharp and 55 made by Samsung. The 55 looked miles better with only minimal clouding. Also the build quality was better than a 60. Highly recommend the 55 in.
post #5199 of 5213 Old 07-09-2014, 07:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by matrix123 View Post
Yes they prob will. I just looked into ways to Diminish the clouding. Highly recommend a bias light. Can never go back now. Love the look. Also I had the 60 (3 of them) in which I took back cause of terrible clouding. Read that the 60 in is made by sharp and 55 made by Samsung. The 55 looked miles better with only minimal clouding. Also the build quality was better than a 60. Highly recommend the 55 in.
Im glad you brought that up because I wad wondering if that had ever been confirmed? I had wanted a 60" but due to this Im getting the 55". Are all 55" gaurenteed to have a Sammy panel? From what ive read Im going to assume so.
post #5200 of 5213 Old 07-09-2014, 07:09 AM

Quote:
Im glad you brought that up because I wad wondering if that had ever been confirmed? I had wanted a 60" but due to this Im getting the 55". Are all 55" gaurenteed to have a Sammy panel? From what ive read Im going to assume so.
I believe so. Either way you look at it the 55 is a better choice. And I can say that cause I've owned both. Also with latest updates there are zero issues to report. And if gaming is your thing, this tv will impress. Just remember to use game mode. Another tip is to use Piratecoves setting. They are the best. Cheers.
post #5201 of 5213 Old 07-09-2014, 05:11 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 16
I have a 60" with no clouding issues .
post #5202 of 5213 Old 07-09-2014, 06:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theroys88 View Post
What is a Siffer?
That was my bad. I didn't mean to post that typo, I bumped send on my cell phone and didn't realize that it sent.

What I meant to say, does using 'optical digital out from TV to receiver' have any disadvantages when compared to using 'cable box HDMI to receiver along with HDMI video out to TV'?
post #5203 of 5213 Old 07-09-2014, 07:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shimmy Bang Bang View Post
That was my bad. I didn't mean to post that typo, I bumped send on my cell phone and didn't realize that it sent.

What I meant to say, does using 'optical digital out from TV to receiver' have any disadvantages when compared to using 'cable box HDMI to receiver along with HDMI video out to TV'?
If you want DD or DTS 5.1 you will have to go from your components to your receiver. I believe only Sony and Vizio sets pass DD.
post #5204 of 5213 Old 07-11-2014, 11:27 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 55
Quote:

So my question is, have most if not all the initial issues with this tv been fixed? Clouding, the dimming issue, the power cycling?
Power cycling still seems to happen. But it's always turning *on* without notice (including turning my receiver on); then it will shutoff a few minutes later.

Clouding was easily fixed just wiping the screen gently with a high quality plush microfiber cloth. You have to kinda massage it out. Unless you move the TV and stress the panel I don't see it coming back. It's been many months since I did mine... There's even a thread about wiping/massaging somewhere.

Never had any dimming issues in movie mode.

I have a 65" AUO panel, AH01. (discussed in detail in the Samsung panel thread) almost all of the 65" F7100's are AUO panels.

(values measured myself in movie mode, all processing turned off)
.008fl MLL (black)
39fl (white).
5,000:1 contrast; static (very good for edge lit LCD)

Motion is good, only real issue I have seen with this TV is off axis viewing. Its about 30 degrees total. So 15 to the left or right of center. A higher flat gamma will improve side viewing. But I would recommend a BT.1886 gamma on this TV to help with shadow detail...

-SiGGy

Last edited by SiGGy; 07-11-2014 at 11:36 AM.
post #5205 of 5213 Old 07-16-2014, 07:02 AM

Liked: 0
I was wondering for the people using the same source for gaming and watching movies (ps4 or xbox one), what are you guys doing for the picture settings.

I switched the name of the source of my ps4 to PC (to achieve a better input lag) and by doing that I cannot switch the Picture Mode from "Standard" to "Movie".

What are you gamers doing?
post #5206 of 5213 Old 07-16-2014, 11:08 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by spdecoste View Post
I was wondering for the people using the same source for gaming and watching movies (ps4 or xbox one), what are you guys doing for the picture settings.

I switched the name of the source of my ps4 to PC (to achieve a better input lag) and by doing that I cannot switch the Picture Mode from "Standard" to "Movie".

What are you gamers doing?
I game on the ps4 and I use standard picture mode
post #5207 of 5213 Old 07-16-2014, 01:29 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by spdecoste View Post
Input lag is identical between PC Mode and Game Mode. I have measured with the Bodnar device many times.

PC Mode displays RGB without converting to YUV422 for processing, but has less color control options and much lower saturation (I think it's undersaturated for gaming). PC Mode also has CE Dimming disabled like Movie Mode.

I recommend that you use Game Mode / Standard and (mostly) defeat CE Dimming by setting Brightness to 53 and White Balance R/G/B-Offset to 21.
post #5208 of 5213 Old 07-16-2014, 05:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rurifan View Post
Input lag is identical between PC Mode and Game Mode. I have measured with the Bodnar device many times.

PC Mode displays RGB without converting to YUV422 for processing, but has less color control options and much lower saturation (I think it's undersaturated for gaming). PC Mode also has CE Dimming disabled like Movie Mode.

I recommend that you use Game Mode / Standard and (mostly) defeat CE Dimming by setting Brightness to 53 and White Balance R/G/B-Offset to 21.
alright thanks for the tip, if I want to go back to my Movie settings, can I just turn off Game Mode and switch from "standard" to "Movie" to watch a Blu-Ray on my ps4? or I will lose my "standard" settings?
post #5209 of 5213 Old 07-18-2014, 06:50 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by slow ride View Post
I have a 60" with no clouding issues .������
Same I have the 60 with very minimal clouding and amazing motion.. My roommate has the 55 and there's no difference! It's the freaking same tv after you calibrate it.. It's all nerd talk
post #5210 of 5213 Old 07-18-2014, 08:09 PM

Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrkyymrk View Post
Same I have the 60 with very minimal clouding and amazing motion.. My roommate has the 55 and there's no difference! It's the freaking same tv after you calibrate it.. It's all nerd talk
what settings do u use I have the 60 inch as well
post #5211 of 5213 Old 07-20-2014, 03:46 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Freezing Issues

Hi all,

I've owned a 65" f7100 for about 6 months now. It is hanging in my media room and has little mileage on it. I am having an issue streaming with the Apps (Amazon VOD and Netflix are the only ones I use). After about 30 minutes of streaming, the both apps lag badly. It takes about 30 sec to 1 minute for the app to respond to the remote (video still playing fine). After about an hour, the video/audio starts freezing and gets progressively worse. At this point, the TV/app is unresponsive. I can see the red LED flash in response to the remote, but the app does not respond. I cannot even turn the TV off. If I select the smart hub button on the remote, the screen goes black and after 1 minute, and it may go back to the menu (if I'm lucky). As soon as I can cycle the TV off, back on, and reopen the App, the problem is fixed. I have to go through this nonsense every hour or so when I stream a movie. It is not a buffering issue.

To answer a few basic questions:

This issue just started a couple of weeks ago. I could stream perfectly fine without issue since I bought the TV.
I updated to the latest firmware (didn't help).
I updated Netflix and Amazon VOD to the latest software (didn't help).
I can stream from computers, phones, and game systems just fine throughout the house.
I am running an Ethernet cord directly to the TV.
Playing movies through an external player works perfectly fine (TV is responsive to remote throughout viewing).

Before spending 5 hours on the phone with Samsung and getting the run-around, I'm hoping someone on this board has some advice. I would greatly appreciate it.
post #5212 of 5213 Old 07-20-2014, 08:29 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Is the Marantz server down this AM? For the first time, I am unable to stream music from Internet Radio - says the server is disconnected. I am certain I haven't made any adjustments or changes to the unit. I can stream locally using the media server but can't connect online...

I've seen things you people wouldn't believe...

Roi Batty
post #5213 of 5213 Old Yesterday, 09:23 PM

I have exactly the same problem and it started to occur recently, about several weeks ago. I also have 65" f7100 and all the latest firmware/apps. Very annoying.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mspHtown View Post
Hi all,

I've owned a 65" f7100 for about 6 months now. It is hanging in my media room and has little mileage on it. I am having an issue streaming with the Apps (Amazon VOD and Netflix are the only ones I use). After about 30 minutes of streaming, the both apps lag badly. It takes about 30 sec to 1 minute for the app to respond to the remote (video still playing fine). After about an hour, the video/audio starts freezing and gets progressively worse. At this point, the TV/app is unresponsive. I can see the red LED flash in response to the remote, but the app does not respond. I cannot even turn the TV off. If I select the smart hub button on the remote, the screen goes black and after 1 minute, and it may go back to the menu (if I'm lucky). As soon as I can cycle the TV off, back on, and reopen the App, the problem is fixed. I have to go through this nonsense every hour or so when I stream a movie. It is not a buffering issue.

To answer a few basic questions:

This issue just started a couple of weeks ago. I could stream perfectly fine without issue since I bought the TV.
I updated to the latest firmware (didn't help).
I updated Netflix and Amazon VOD to the latest software (didn't help).
I can stream from computers, phones, and game systems just fine throughout the house.
I am running an Ethernet cord directly to the TV.
Playing movies through an external player works perfectly fine (TV is responsive to remote throughout viewing).

Before spending 5 hours on the phone with Samsung and getting the run-around, I'm hoping someone on this board has some advice. I would greatly appreciate it.
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Samsung Un60f7100 60 Inch 3d Ultra Slim Smart Led Hdtv , Samsung Un46f8000 46 Inch 3d Ultra Slim Smart Led Hdtv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page