Official Samsung UNXXF7100 Owners Thread - Page 181 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

post #5401 of 5642 Old 02-06-2015, 05:44 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by emileg View Post
I am on 2203 with no problems. I skipped the 2204 update with people reporting problems with the Smart Hub. Was there a 2205 that I didn't know about or did Samsung go straight from 2204 to 2206? Thanks.
Straight to 2204 to 2206
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #5402 of 5642 Old 02-06-2015, 02:37 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 139
I installed firmware version 2206.3 and all is well.

The picture is still sharp, yet more natural- less high contrast-like.

The motion process has improved on A.M.P. Custom with LED Clear Motion: On.
post #5403 of 5642 Old 02-06-2015, 06:24 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by macmane View Post
Straight to 2204 to 2206
Thanks
post #5404 of 5642 Old 02-06-2015, 07:31 PM

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Updated from 2203 to 2206. Wow. Over all I'm very pleased. Was hesitant cause 2203 was great but I'm glad I updated. The picture is so clear and motion is much better/different. Also, navigating the menus is much smoother.
post #5405 of 5642 Old 02-07-2015, 12:41 AM

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by PiratesCove View Post
I installed firmware version 2206.3 and all is well.

The picture is still sharp, yet more natural- less high contrast-like.

The motion process has improved on A.M.P. Custom with LED Clear Motion: On.
Thanks to everybody for the input on Ver 2206. I've also been checking it out & really agree with all of the comments that have been mentioned. I also now am using my old A.M.P. Custom setting once again! (haven't tried LED Clear Motion : ON though) and don't have to resort to Smooth to get the desired SOE that I do like so much. Pirate... Is there now a noticable advantage of turning LED Clear Motion on? I have never liked it in the past.

I still think the Smart Hub is not 100% stable since I did have one Web Browser Crash/TV Re-Boot after the update. BUT... It does seem a bit smoother operating the Web Browser over-all. SO......... All in All, (So Far) I'm really Glad Samsung released this Firmware update.
post #5406 of 5642 Old 02-07-2015, 02:27 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 139
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgh26 View Post
Pirate... Is there now a noticable advantage of turning LED Clear Motion on? I have never liked it in the past.
Its creates a strobe light effect (not perceptible) that off-sets LCD/LED sample and hold- motion blur.

Simple put its more motion resolution.
post #5407 of 5642 Old 02-08-2015, 05:15 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 188 Post(s)
Liked: 182
Settings from old firmware are not compatible.

I had 1602 on before this latest update. It threw off a lot of stuff.

Brightness
Gamma
Color

Black detail is crushed now with same settings

I'll have to recalibrate

So the "more contrasty" comments on here translate to crushed blacks. Be sure to recalibrate brightness at least.

Also the smart hub remains the same... Not sure why some were posting that it updates it to something different. It didn't on my set.

Ill report back how it does with a recalibration once I find time to pull out my meters... Ill also plugin pirates settings to see how close they are to hd.709

-SiGGy

Last edited by SiGGy; 02-08-2015 at 05:46 AM.
post #5408 of 5642 Old 02-08-2015, 06:42 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 16
I have updated to the new firmware 2206. I skipped the prior two updates before 2206.
I don't see any improvements to AMP. The only two settings I can tolerate are OFF or SMOOTH. The others are just awful . I go with SMOOTH.
I still have not perfected my whites and at times I have too much of a washed out picture that I can't seem to get rid of.
Overall I like the tv and I'm thankful for all the input here.
post #5409 of 5642 Old 02-08-2015, 07:59 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
So I have had my f7100 for a year and 16 days. Last friday it popped up a green line and will not go away. It shows on all sources. I have wiggled all the plugs and cables in the set ( I took off the back panel after reading others success).
I sent a service request into samsung but was told by the rep that since it was out of warranty I would have pay. Seems like of crappy being 16 days out of warranty that they hold this firm.

any ideas?
Thanks
Dave
post #5410 of 5642 Old 02-09-2015, 12:01 AM

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by slow ride View Post
I have updated to the new firmware 2206. I skipped the prior two updates before 2206.
I don't see any improvements to AMP. The only two settings I can tolerate are OFF or SMOOTH. The others are just awful . I go with SMOOTH.
I still have not perfected my whites and at times I have too much of a washed out picture that I can't seem to get rid of.
Overall I like the tv and I'm thankful for all the input here. ������
As far as AMPfunctionality improvement, I think it got changed with slightly negative effects during one of the updates that you had skipped & had never installed. This also changed the SOE effect which Smooth still had if you happen to like the SOE. Maybe that's why you may not see any difference with Ver 2206. I think the current Smooth setting has quite a bit of SOE (with really good over-all motion) that I guess I really happen to like & used that setting with Ver 2204 as well....

Anyways , the real point is that AMP seems to be very close to where it was before updating to version # 2204 (one of the one's you skipped). And..... IMO, the latest version # 2206 seems to have AMP functioning very much like a couple of versions back at least it does for my Custom Settings I had been using for several versions now with the exception of Ver 2204. I hope this makes sence to you.... Long day today.......
post #5411 of 5642 Old 02-09-2015, 06:18 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgh26 View Post
As far as AMPfunctionality improvement, I think it got changed with slightly negative effects during one of the updates that you had skipped & had never installed. This also changed the SOE effect which Smooth still had if you happen to like the SOE. Maybe that's why you may not see any difference with Ver 2206. I think the current Smooth setting has quite a bit of SOE (with really good over-all motion) that I guess I really happen to like & used that setting with Ver 2204 as well....

Anyways , the real point is that AMP seems to be very close to where it was before updating to version # 2204 (one of the one's you skipped). And..... IMO, the latest version # 2206 seems to have AMP functioning very much like a couple of versions back at least it does for my Custom Settings I had been using for several versions now with the exception of Ver 2204. I hope this makes sence to you.... Long day today.......
Your post makes a lot of sense to me. The reason I didnt update those prior firmwares was because of the negative feedback I read on here about amp.IMO AMP has been a issue with this tv and I certainly didn't want to chance making it worse.
What I don't like is the amount of background blurr when you are watching something that has a camera panning side to side. As I said, amp off or smooth is the only way that I can get rid of it. I've tried the other options many times and immediately I have can see the difference.

I find that this tv is great on things that are close up. It's the background picture that I have trouble with. There is a lot of blurr at times and sometimes the background is too washed out. But as soon as the picture zooms in its beautiful for the most part.

I can't seem to get my whites right. I watch a lot of hockey and this tv really struggles with getting a good picture for hockey. It's because of the white ice being the total background . Other sports are fantastic because they don't have the white background.

I find this tv is impossible to have a happy medium setting. My last tv I was able to find that setting. There just wasn't the fluctuation there is with this tv. I could leave it and never had to play with the settings . I can't do this with this set. One channel will be great and the next might be just awful.

I would love to get my tv professionally calibrated. I can't find a reputable person who does this in my area. I've thought about doing it myself but I don't have the experience. I did the disney wow and that helped some. Thanks all
post #5412 of 5642 Old 02-09-2015, 10:39 AM

Anyone have some good white balance settings for using the ps4? I get a great picture but its kinda washed out. My brightness amd backlight are 45 , 8 and my contrast is around 85 and im using standard pic mode warm 2 byt cant to get a picture without the washed out look
post #5413 of 5642 Old 02-09-2015, 11:17 AM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by vypr2002 View Post
So I have had my f7100 for a year and 16 days. Last friday it popped up a green line and will not go away. It shows on all sources. I have wiggled all the plugs and cables in the set ( I took off the back panel after reading others success).
I sent a service request into samsung but was told by the rep that since it was out of warranty I would have pay. Seems like of crappy being 16 days out of warranty that they hold this firm.

any ideas?
Thanks
Dave

We bought our tv at Frys almost 2 years ago right before fathers day. They offered us a warranty but declined because it was a little too expensive for us there.
A week later we were at Costco and they offered us a longer/better 3 year warranty for $100 for the tv we bought at Frys! Didn't know they did that.
The plan starts after the factory 1 year is up..so in total 4 years. That's good enough for us.
We opted for that deal because we've had to use warranties on electronics in the past and it has worked out well for us.

I would maybe keep trying with Samsung again..maybe get lucky?
or start calling local tv repair shop sand see if they can troubleshoot the issue ..maybe start researching and figure out what causes the green line and if its something like a board that you could replace that would be great.
Good luck!

HT: Energy RC-70s, RC-LCR, RC-50s, RC-R,
4 UM-18 11cu ported
Elite Screens 135'' Sable
Music: RC-70s, S8.3 sub
Office:CB-20s, RC-LCR, CB-10s
post #5414 of 5642 Old 02-09-2015, 01:21 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Hey folks, thanks for all the updated info and assistance with the 7 series. I had read through page 1 to... I would say page 120, a few months ago and I have not really kept up since then.

So, having read through all of that, I can't recall seeing anything about 2 issues I am having ( Or not having? ) with my 60" 7100.

First thing I seem to be either paranoid about, or is actually happening; During some types of programming, the details on faces seem to shift at a slower speed than the rest of the picture on screen, which makes for a weird split-second smearing effect. Has this been documented before? Am I just missing a quick setting tweak to fix this or am I potentially insane?

My second issue definitely is happening though. When the TV is on for a long period of time and then changed to another channel/input the image and sound will be VERY out of sync, and it stays this way until the TV is power cycled. I would say it seems like the TV is overheating, but that's obviously not the issue as it is fixed after just a quick power off/on.

Any help with either of these would be awesome, I have had it for almost a year, soooo I want to be sure it's not something I need replaced/repaired.
post #5415 of 5642 Old 02-09-2015, 01:22 PM

Hey folks, thanks for all the updated info and assistance with the 7 series. I had read through page 1 to... I would say page 120, a few months ago and I have not really kept up since then.

So, having read through all of that, I can't recall seeing anything about 2 issues I am having ( Or not having? ) with my 60" 7100.

First thing I seem to be either paranoid about, or is actually happening; During some types of programming, the details on faces seem to shift at a slower speed than the rest of the picture on screen, which makes for a weird split-second smearing effect. Has this been documented before? Am I just missing a quick setting tweak to fix this or am I potentially insane?

My second issue definitely is happening though. When the TV is on for a long period of time and then changed to another channel/input the image and sound will be VERY out of sync, and it stays this way until the TV is power cycled. I would say it seems like the TV is overheating, but that's obviously not the issue as it is fixed after just a quick power off/on.

Any help with either of these would be awesome, I have had it for almost a year, soooo I want to be sure it's not something I need replaced/repaired.
post #5416 of 5642 Old 02-09-2015, 03:47 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tofookie View Post

What setting do you use for auto motion plus ?
post #5417 of 5642 Old 02-10-2015, 06:02 PM

I updated from 2203 to 2206 over the weekend. The picture quality and detail are excellent, especially in the standard mode. You can see every pore in the skin. However, Netflix in the Smart Hub seems to be of somewhat low resolution and the lip sync is off by at least a second. Then I watched the exact same show on Netflix with the Apple TV. The resolution was outstanding and no lip sync issues.

PS. The test TV series was Blacklist. In all fairness, the resolution watching Netflix on the Smart Hub was never very good. I don't think it got worse with this update. However, I believe the picture on Apple TV looks better. It could be placebo effect since I have no objective way of measuring it.
post #5418 of 5642 Old 02-11-2015, 12:14 AM

Quote:
What setting do you use for auto motion plus ?
Sorry for the double post to start with, browser froze and gave me a fun page error.

Anyway, picture mode is on Standard, A.M.P. is set to Clear.

Gets frustrating having to power cycle the TV after every few shows, also I have an issue with the sound system powering on and off and on etc. sometimes it stays on after a few of those, sometimes it shuts back off, happens every time the TV is turned on.
post #5419 of 5642 Old 02-11-2015, 02:42 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
I updated from 2203 to 2206 over the weekend. The picture quality and detail are excellent, especially in the standard mode. You can see every pore in the skin. However, Netflix in the Smart Hub seems to be of somewhat low resolution and the lip sync is off by at least a second. Then I watched the exact same show on Netflix with the Apple TV. The resolution was outstanding and no lip sync issues.

PS. The test TV series was Blacklist. In all fairness, the resolution watching Netflix on the Smart Hub was never very good. I don't think it got worse with this update. However, I believe the picture on Apple TV looks better. It could be placebo effect since I have no objective way of measuring it.
I have a 55" 7100 and for some reason, while watching Netflix, it won't allow me to adjust the color or sharpness via the TV menu. I can make adjustments but nothing happens. IOW, no matter if the level is set at 0 or 100, the picture doesn't change. All other options seem to be adjustable, except for color or sharpness. Color looks pretty much spot on but the picture could benefit from some sharpness. As is, it looks quite soft. Watching Netflix thru our Apple TV looks SO much better. We just bought a new 48" 6350 for another room and that TV is responsive to those adjustments and looks great. Just as good as thru Apple TV. Just wondering if anyone else has experienced this?

Its not that big a deal as I bought the 7100 for its picture quality vs the Smart features since we already have Apple TV and PS3. But, it would be nice if it worked correctly (and especially since the 6350 Netflix picture looks amazing). Resetting the Smart Hub had no affect, in case you were wondering.

One other question... I have the 7100 set to Movie on all inputs to get rid of micro dimming. However, I still notice the picture darkening during moments where the entire screen shows black. All of the Eco settings and advanced picture settings are turned off. Does this mean micro dimming still occurs in Movie mode? From what I've read on here, Movie mode disables it. Thanks!
emileg likes this.
post #5420 of 5642 Old 02-11-2015, 05:23 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tofookie View Post
Sorry for the double post to start with, browser froze and gave me a fun page error.

Anyway, picture mode is on Standard, A.M.P. is set to Clear.

Gets frustrating having to power cycle the TV after every few shows, also I have an issue with the sound system powering on and off and on etc. sometimes it stays on after a few of those, sometimes it shuts back off, happens every time the TV is turned on.
For the face shifting , Try smooth or off for your AMP setting .
post #5421 of 5642 Old 02-13-2015, 04:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mchigantvfan View Post
I have a 55" 7100 and for some reason, while watching Netflix, it won't allow me to adjust the color or sharpness via the TV menu. I can make adjustments but nothing happens. IOW, no matter if the level is set at 0 or 100, the picture doesn't change. All other options seem to be adjustable, except for color or sharpness. Color looks pretty much spot on but the picture could benefit from some sharpness. As is, it looks quite soft. Watching Netflix thru our Apple TV looks SO much better. We just bought a new 48" 6350 for another room and that TV is responsive to those adjustments and looks great. Just as good as thru Apple TV. Just wondering if anyone else has experienced this?

Its not that big a deal as I bought the 7100 for its picture quality vs the Smart features since we already have Apple TV and PS3. But, it would be nice if it worked correctly (and especially since the 6350 Netflix picture looks amazing). Resetting the Smart Hub had no affect, in case you were wondering.

One other question... I have the 7100 set to Movie on all inputs to get rid of micro dimming. However, I still notice the picture darkening during moments where the entire screen shows black. All of the Eco settings and advanced picture settings are turned off. Does this mean micro dimming still occurs in Movie mode? From what I've read on here, Movie mode disables it. Thanks!
I wish I had answers to your questions. Come to think of it, I am not sure I ever changed any settings while in the Smart Hub, as everything looks better on Apple TV and also on the Amazon Fire TV. I wanted to watch Amazon Prime "free" material, but there were numerous sound drops when watching through the Smart Hub. So, I bought the Fire TV when it came out. There are no sound drops and there is a superior picture. At this point, I fail to see any reason to use the Smart Hub as I can watch practically anything using Apple TV or Amazon Fire TV for a total investment of $200. Well worth it.
post #5422 of 5642 Old 02-24-2015, 11:01 AM

Great 720P

Just watched the Academy Awards on my 60". ABC broadcasts at 720P. Yet, the clarity and resolution was so impressive, I couldn't believe my eyes. I did a double check on the DVR and sure enough the broadcast was at 720P. My eyes said 1080, but I was obviously wrong. An amazing bit of upconversion. I refrain from commenting on the show itself.
post #5423 of 5642 Old 02-24-2015, 06:41 PM
Advanced Member

What's the best way to get all audio from the tv to my surround ? For example, the audio is from the tv ONLY when watching Netflix on my smart hub .

Would it be a optical OUT on the tv into optical IN on my marantz receiver ?

TY
post #5424 of 5642 Old 02-25-2015, 04:42 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Yes. That is how I have it. Through the optical output.
post #5425 of 5642 Old 02-25-2015, 06:37 PM

Quote:
What's the best way to get all audio from the tv to my surround ? For example, the audio is from the tv ONLY when watching Netflix on my smart hub .

Would it be a optical OUT on the tv into optical IN on my marantz receiver ?

TY
Optical out from the TV to the receiver is one way and you will certainly get great sound. If you have a relatively new model AV receiver with ARC (Audio Return Channel) HDMI, then you can use the HDMI. However, make certain you have the latest HDMI cables. I have all my devices such as the DVR, BluRay, Apple TV and Amazon Fire TV hooked up by HDMI to the receiver. Then the ARC HDMI from the receiver to the TV. In this case the same cable is used to send the AV signal to the TV from the AV receiver and from the TV to the AV receiver. There is considerable discussion of this topic earlier in the thread, but I realize that it might be unfathomable to read through all the posts.
post #5426 of 5642 Old 02-25-2015, 07:51 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Quote:
Optical out from the TV to the receiver is one way and you will certainly get great sound. If you have a relatively new model AV receiver with ARC (Audio Return Channel) HDMI, then you can use the HDMI. However, make certain you have the latest HDMI cables. I have all my devices such as the DVR, BluRay, Apple TV and Amazon Fire TV hooked up by HDMI to the receiver. Then the ARC HDMI from the receiver to the TV. In this case the same cable is used to send the AV signal to the TV from the AV receiver and from the TV to the AV receiver. There is considerable discussion of this topic earlier in the thread, but I realize that it might be unfathomable to read through all the posts.

All HDMI cables are compatible with ARC. If it's not compatible then it's not an HDMI cable.

PSN brakel

post #5427 of 5642 Old 02-26-2015, 05:33 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
I have 2 hdmi INPUTS on my receiver that I'm not using. So hdmi OUT on the tv to one of the hdmi INPUTS on the receiver ?

Do I need to SELECT anything on the receiver or will all audio automatically be heard on the surround ?
post #5428 of 5642 Old 02-26-2015, 07:57 AM

Strange thing occurs when I hook my ps4 up through my soundbar and that is the tv power cycles from time to time. I love the sound when the ps4 is hooked up directly through the soundbar in comparison to having it hooked up ddirectly to the tv any suggestions?
post #5429 of 5642 Old 02-26-2015, 10:45 AM

Quote:
I have 2 hdmi INPUTS on my receiver that I'm not using. So hdmi OUT on the tv to one of the hdmi INPUTS on the receiver ?

Do I need to SELECT anything on the receiver or will all audio automatically be heard on the surround ?
Only one of the HDMI's on the TV is for ARC. I am not at the TV now, so I can't tell you which one it is. But, I believe it is marked. Since you only have two HDMI inputs on your receiver, I suspect it is an older model not capable of using ARC. ARC has its own problems, such the receiver automatically switching inputs after a few seconds at the correct one. If I were you, I would stick with using the optical cable.
post #5430 of 5642 Old 02-26-2015, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brakel View Post
All HDMI cables are compatible with ARC. If it's not compatible then it's not an HDMI cable.
The older cables (pre-HDMI standard 1.3) did not allow for 2-way communication between the TV and the receiver. My older cables did not work with the new system and I had to purchase the latest cables. 1.3 and 1.4 allow the TV to send signals upstream from the TV to the receiver.

http://www.hdmi.org/manufacturer/hdmi_1_4/arc.aspx

Perhaps the differences in HDMI cables is a myth, but it was not my experience.
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Samsung Un60f7100 60 Inch 3d Ultra Slim Smart Led Hdtv , Samsung Un46f8000 46 Inch 3d Ultra Slim Smart Led Hdtv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page