Official Samsung UNXXF7100 Owners Thread - Page 31 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #901 of 5227 Old 06-21-2013, 08:05 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello,
I just purchased a un55f7100 a couple days ago, I am just wondering about samsung illuminated logo does this particular model lights up??? Can u configure it? I've tried messing around with the menu and couldnt find anything that can enable or disable it, I even called samsung technical supports and they seems dont know nothing. I greatly appreciate if anybody can help me..Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #902 of 5227 Old 06-21-2013, 09:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
The 7000 series doesn't have the illuminated "SAMSUNG" logo.

"...I'm ready for dream-time Mr. B."
post #903 of 5227 Old 06-21-2013, 09:45 AM

u got any source to back up your answer? thanks.
post #904 of 5227 Old 06-21-2013, 10:09 AM

Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by teqzen View Post

After playing different video sources & games, nyuushin is right about Cinema Black it is useless with fw 1104. I correct my recommendation to have Brightness at 60 or higher & Cinema Black off for seeing detail (Dark scenes) on XBox360.

I tried PC mode, very dull colors, Sharpness, and still needed Brightness 60 or above for detail in games I play. Also game mode greyed out in PC Mode, Sharpness starts @ 50 = 0.

HDMI Black Level: Low (Crushes black levels, also gives the shine flashlight in eyes effect) on Xbox360 even in Game mode!
Set HDMI Black Level to Normal to fix.

I noticed paying around with settings again for game mode on XBox360.
HDMI Black Level: Normal, lets me see detail in extreme dark areas @ Brightness:50 in SkyRim. If HDMI Black level:
Low, I have to crank up Brightness to 60 or higher, to see any detail in dark area & still lose some detail.

I also noticed with HBOGo in XBox360 when HDMI Black Level: Normal, the picture doesn't go extreme dark & extreme light whenever a light is on screen. (Kinda like the JJ Abrams effect)

I watched True Blood S6E1 on Comcast on demand (ton of extreme lighting effects in 1st 20 min) you can really see the effects of HDMI Black Level: Low vs Normal.
post #905 of 5227 Old 06-21-2013, 10:41 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaykol View Post

u got any source to back up your answer? thanks.

Only the 8000 series illuminates it's listed in the Users Manual were it is not on the 7100.

On the 8000 is located here - Screen Menu > System > General > Light Effect

Sharp Elite Pro 60

Pioneer Elite VSX-52 Receiver

Pioneer Elite  BDP-62FD BluRay

post #906 of 5227 Old 06-21-2013, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by XBRSteve View Post

Only the 8000 series illuminates it's listed in the Users Manual were it is not on the 7100.

Do u know which pages in the users manual? Thanks!
post #907 of 5227 Old 06-21-2013, 12:00 PM

How is the input lag on this set? Motion Blur while gaming?
post #908 of 5227 Old 06-21-2013, 12:23 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Quote:

HDMI Black Level: Low (Crushes black levels, also gives the shine flashlight in eyes effect) on Xbox360 even in Game mode!
Set HDMI Black Level to Normal to fix.

I noticed paying around with settings again for game mode on XBox360.
HDMI Black Level: Normal, lets me see detail in extreme dark areas @ Brightness:50 in SkyRim. If HDMI Black level:
Low, I have to crank up Brightness to 60 or higher, to see any detail in dark area & still lose some detail.

I also noticed with HBOGo in XBox360 when HDMI Black Level: Normal, the picture doesn't go extreme dark & extreme light whenever a light is on screen. (Kinda like the JJ Abrams effect)

I watched True Blood S6E1 on Comcast on demand (ton of extreme lighting effects in 1st 20 min) you can really see the effects of HDMI Black Level: Low vs Normal.

Some jumbled information in here.

HDMI Black Level (Low) is for Video black levels (15-235)
HDMI Black Level (Normal) is for PC black levels (0-255)

If you are using most typical sources (cable, most BR players, AppleTV, etc) these output Video levels so you should use Low. Otherwise you'd get a lighter sort of hazy washed out picture.

I don't know what the XBox outputs as I don't have one. I do use a PS3, which allows you to select. Since I use it primarily as a BR player I set it to match my other sources, (I think the ps3 setting is called something like hdmi limited).

Basically as long as the source and display are set to match you are good to go, but Low on the Samsungs corresponds to Video levels and thus is the correct setting for most sources.
teqzen likes this.

Stuck up, half witted, scruffy looking, nerf herder.
Double True!
post #909 of 5227 Old 06-21-2013, 12:23 PM

Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by cahn2621 View Post

How is the input lag on this set? Motion Blur while gaming?

The measured input lag varies depending on the screen size (55" version has the lowest, and it increases with each screen size increase by a little), but I have the 60" and with Game Mode on I don't notice any input lag that makes gaming frustrating. I play alot of BF3 on 360 and when I first tried it out on my new F7100, I noticed no change from what I was used to. I'm a 2:1 K:D type player so I would have noticed right away if I was losing more 50/50 firefights due to input lag.

As for motion blur, I personally don't notice any yet, but I might fool around with the Auto Motion Plus settings to see what changes.

HT: 60" Samsung UN60F7100, Infinity Primus 360 towers/152 rears/PC350 center, Elemental Designs A2-300 12" sub
Music: PSB Image 6 bookshelf pair, Yamaha R-S500 stereo receiver, Def Tech AW5500 outdoor speakers for patio
post #910 of 5227 Old 06-21-2013, 01:07 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cilent1 View Post

The 7000 series doesn't have the illuminated "SAMSUNG" logo.
100% true.. There is NO back lit logo on this TV. Just look real close at the Logo and you will see it is a solid polished and Raised Printed Lettering "SAMSUNG" Text on top of the frame's plastic Logo extension piece. The F 8000 is different. Last year's ES-7100 was a light based Logo display.
post #911 of 5227 Old 06-21-2013, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebas Garcia View Post

Had to order a service appointment to see whats wrong with these stupid bouncing boxes that randomly appear. i would of just took it back and bought a Bravia but i hear they have bad flashlighting
How's the progress on those bouncing box's. I can't believe this but I got them yestarday while I was messing with Cinema Black settings. It was hard to stop them without turning the TV Off but I did figure out a way. The bottom line, I've Never had this issue show up before now. AND..... I recently got a new Main board, the softwate Auto Updated when that was set to Off to problem version 1104. I also updated to 1105 and now the dumb bouncing squares nailed my TV.. I hope I have figured out & cured the issue without doing a Factory Reset like others had had to do. eek.gif
post #912 of 5227 Old 06-21-2013, 02:33 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgh26 View Post

How's the progress on those bouncing box's. I can't believe this but I got them yestarday while I was messing with Cinema Black settings. It was hard to stop them without turning the TV Off but I did figure out a way. The bottom line, I've Never had this issue show up before now. AND..... I recently got a new Main board, the softwate Auto Updated when that was set to Off to problem version 1104. I also updated to 1105 and now the dumb bouncing squares nailed my TV.. I hope I have figured out & cured the issue without doing a Factory Reset like others had had to do. eek.gif

Ironic that the one feature perhaps worth paying up for from the 6400 to the 7100 - Cinema Black - is causing issues. I love my 75" 6400 but am contemplating a 55" 7100 or even 8000 for the bedroom but...at the very least I feel like I ought to wait to make sure Samsung fixes the bugs with this feature.

Double True!
post #913 of 5227 Old 06-21-2013, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anthonymoody View Post

Some jumbled information in here.

HDMI Black Level (Low) is for Video black levels (15-235)
HDMI Black Level (Normal) is for PC black levels (0-255)

If you are using most typical sources (cable, most BR players, AppleTV, etc) these output Video levels so you should use Low. Otherwise you'd get a lighter sort of hazy washed out picture.

I don't know what the XBox outputs as I don't have one. I do use a PS3, which allows you to select. Since I use it primarily as a BR player I set it to match my other sources, (I think the ps3 setting is called something like hdmi limited).

Basically as long as the source and display are set to match you are good to go, but Low on the Samsungs corresponds to Video levels and thus is the correct setting for most sources.

Good info.
Like i said with HDMI Black Level set to Normal, Black detail doesn't get crushed in Xbox360.
Also the JJ Abrahms effect is gone. (Feels like flashlight shined in the eyes when light & dark scenes alternate)
I think Microdimming gets set off more if u have HDMI set to Low on Game or PC.

Seems like all the processing on Black level (Cinema Black, Black tone, & Dynamic Contrast) crush blacks.

Still in my return period.
Maybe i should save some money get F6350 but would miss the Micro Dimming, nice remote & 3D.
Don't know if Micro Dimming & 3D worth $800 more.
Anybody have any thoughts on panel quality F7100 vs F6350 & Micro Dimming vs Non Micro Dimming TVs
post #914 of 5227 Old 06-21-2013, 05:02 PM

Looking on Samsungs site seems like Micro Dimming only on 3D models.
Also found this informative link on Micro Dimming. Looking @ picture of LED without Local Dimming looked better then the full array with Local Dimming.
http://www.rtings.com/info/what-is-local-dimming
Unless the panel is better on F7100/F7050 vs F6350/6300.
Review of F7100
http://www.rtings.com/reviews/tv/lcd-led/samsung/f7100
Any thoughts?
post #915 of 5227 Old 06-21-2013, 05:14 PM
AVS Club Gold

Well I think the improvement owed to Cinema Black is easy to see. Whether it's worth the price differential at a given screen size is another matter. For me, at 75" it wasn't worth a $1500 premium. But I could see paying a few hundred $ at the smaller screen sizes for the feature, maybe even up to the 8000 for Smart LED. Bt I think it's really something that everyone has to decide for themselves. Fwiw I love my 75" 6400 but size trumps a lot! (TWSS)

Double True!
post #916 of 5227 Old 06-21-2013, 05:21 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaykol View Post

Go to the Samsung website and look it up that's what I did. All of the manuals are there. Is an illuminated logo that important to you?

Sharp Elite Pro 60

post #917 of 5227 Old 06-21-2013, 05:29 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by XBRSteve View Post

Go to the Samsung website and look it up that's what I did. All of the manuals are there. Is an illuminated logo that important to you?

Yeah and jaykol I gotta ask...you seem unusually fixated on this, almost as if you want it to light up. Most people who care about PQ and overall viewing experience not only don't want **** like this to light up, but they go out of their way into menus to shut it off, or resort to black tape if it's nondefeatable.

Double True!
post #918 of 5227 Old 06-21-2013, 05:32 PM

Good explanation of refresh rate/Clear Motion Rate
http://www.rtings.com/info/what-is-the-refresh-rate
post #919 of 5227 Old 06-21-2013, 05:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anthonymoody View Post

Ironic that the one feature perhaps worth paying up for from the 6400 to the 7100 - Cinema Black - is causing issues. I love my 75" 6400 but am contemplating a 55" 7100 or even 8000 for the bedroom but...at the very least I feel like I ought to wait to make sure Samsung fixes the bugs with this feature.

Cinema Black is the only feature I really want on my F6400, but that one feature alone wasn't worth the price difference to me, especially after I read about the "white box" issue. Well, maybe Ultra Clear Panel too...

- Quad-core vs. dual-core doesn't bother me since the jump in performance from single to dual made all the difference in the world; my TV and Blu-ray player are now quick and snappy with no waiting. Single-core was sluggish and painful to use, but since it doesn't affect picture quality at all, dual is more than fine with me.

- I don't care about faster CMR. 120Hz native is all I need. Although 240Hz would make a big difference with 3D, I don't use 3D very much on my Samsung because I don't like Active 3D or the glasses.

- The higher levels of Micro Dimming sound great on paper, but I couldn't actually see any difference in several stores...although I realize from experience that you can't really tell sh*t about PQ or viewing angle from what you see in the store. I could tell in-store that the Samsung 6 series looked noticeably better than the Vizios I was considering right next to them, and THAT was worth the extra money.

Now if the viewing angles, flashlighting, and clouding were significantly better on the higher 7/8 series than the 6400, I would DEFINITELY pay whatever the extra cost was, especially considering I'd get Cinema Black too. But from what I've read, both 2012 and 2013, that's just not the case. So ultimately, If I could get Cinema Black for an extra $100, I'd take it....but an extra $400...no. smile.gif
post #920 of 5227 Old 06-21-2013, 06:28 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 111
Quote:

The drama just continues....eek.gif

I haven't seen my F7100 in a week so..I'm hoping I don't get these issues.
post #921 of 5227 Old 06-21-2013, 06:36 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PiratesCove View Post

The drama just continues....eek.gif

I haven't seen my F7100 in a week so..I'm hoping I don't get these issues.

I'm surprised the ratings are so good on BB and Amazon given all the issues.

Sharp Elite Pro 60

post #922 of 5227 Old 06-21-2013, 08:49 PM

I was watching life of pi in 3d and I noticed on many scenes that there was a thin white faint vertical stripe on the screen. Does anyone know what this is?
post #923 of 5227 Old 06-21-2013, 09:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maytime View Post

The measured input lag varies depending on the screen size (55" version has the lowest, and it increases with each screen size increase by a little), but I have the 60" and with Game Mode on I don't notice any input lag that makes gaming frustrating. I play alot of BF3 on 360 and when I first tried it out on my new F7100, I noticed no change from what I was used to. I'm a 2:1 K:D type player so I would have noticed right away if I was losing more 50/50 firefights due to input lag.

As for motion blur, I personally don't notice any yet, but I might fool around with the Auto Motion Plus settings to see what changes.

Guess I will just give this set a try. I was gonna go plasma with the F8500, but in that thread someone mentioned that the input lag is worse than with the F7100. Weird, I figured the plasma would be better with input lag.
post #924 of 5227 Old 06-21-2013, 09:46 PM

Quote:

So your saying firmware 1105 doesn't solve bouncing squares?
Must have been wishful thinking since it wasn't mentioned as fixed on the documentation of firmware update.

Same work around for dancing white square issue, turn Cinema Black to low or off.
Best thing you guys can do to fix Cinema Black, is to call Samsung support, make them aware you can't use Cinema Black past low without bouncing white squares. Then they may fix it in firmware update.
post #925 of 5227 Old 06-22-2013, 02:38 AM

Quote:

So your saying firmware 1105 doesn't solve bouncing squares?
Must have been wishful thinking since it wasn't mentioned as fixed on the documentation of firmware update.

Same work around for dancing white square issue, turn Cinema Black to low or off.
Best thing you guys can do to fix Cinema Black, is to call Samsung support, make them aware you can't use Cinema Black past low without bouncing white squares. Then they may fix it in firmware update.
Yeph I got the boucing balls after updating to firmware Ver 1105. Since I played a bit to get rid of them, I haven't got them since and also have Cinema Black set to Medimum. I did also notice that Cinema Black is once again fluctuating the picture Brightness when set to High. Low is good and Medimum is OK with a tiny bit of fluctuation. When will Samsung get the F-7100 finished? I think they have a way to go with their software "fine tuning". Not so fine for the purchaser though...
post #926 of 5227 Old 06-22-2013, 06:16 AM

Liked: 24
This is all good reading, finally have a day off and headed to Best Buy today. I want to purchase there due to being a Silver Reward Zone member. But with all the issues that people are having with the cinema black right now and having to turn it off etc etc etc, would it be better to spend the extra $400 on the 7100 or go with the 6400 since I'll be turning the cinema black off until I read its fixed (if ever). For the most part aren't the two comparable in PQ and gaming performance ? I guess its a double edged sword at this time because I still have faith in Samsung that they will fix it.

We have nothing to fear but fear itself... and spiders

My current gear : (Mancave) Vizio M701, Sony Str-DA5800 receiver,  Speakers : Front.. Klipsh RF-7 reference flagship, Center.. RC-64 reference, Surrounds.. 4x RC-62 reference, DirecTv Genie, PS3, Oppo BDP-105 Universal Audiophile blu-ray. 

post #927 of 5227 Old 06-22-2013, 06:25 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 36
Just use cinema black on low , I have had no problems whatsoever with my tv so far, other than the fact i somehow deleted netflix from my apps, but it still shows on another page. Plan to try to figure this out today

Xbox Live- bucknuts07

PSN-bucknuts07

post #928 of 5227 Old 06-22-2013, 06:27 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 36
Did we ever clarify if its worth going to hdmi 4 , for gaming . Some have said it gets rid of dimming , which may be worth it. Also, anyone have picture settings they are using for gaming ?

Xbox Live- bucknuts07

PSN-bucknuts07

post #929 of 5227 Old 06-22-2013, 08:12 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by ewright27 View Post

Cinema Black is the only feature I really want on my F6400, but that one feature alone wasn't worth the price difference to me, especially after I read about the "white box" issue. Well, maybe Ultra Clear Panel too...

- Quad-core vs. dual-core doesn't bother me since the jump in performance from single to dual made all the difference in the world; my TV and Blu-ray player are now quick and snappy with no waiting. Single-core was sluggish and painful to use, but since it doesn't affect picture quality at all, dual is more than fine with me.

- I don't care about faster CMR. 120Hz native is all I need. Although 240Hz would make a big difference with 3D, I don't use 3D very much on my Samsung because I don't like Active 3D or the glasses.

- The higher levels of Micro Dimming sound great on paper, but I couldn't actually see any difference in several stores...although I realize from experience that you can't really tell sh*t about PQ or viewing angle from what you see in the store. I could tell in-store that the Samsung 6 series looked noticeably better than the Vizios I was considering right next to them, and THAT was worth the extra money.

Now if the viewing angles, flashlighting, and clouding were significantly better on the higher 7/8 series than the 6400, I would DEFINITELY pay whatever the extra cost was, especially considering I'd get Cinema Black too. But from what I've read, both 2012 and 2013, that's just not the case. So ultimately, If I could get Cinema Black for an extra $100, I'd take it....but an extra $400...no. smile.gif

And at 75" it's a $1500. Way too much even if it worked without issue smile.gif

I do think it's worth a few hundred bucks at smaller screen sizes so I'll likely get a 55" 7100 for the bedroom but only after Samsung eliminates the dancing white squares and fluctuating brightness.

Double True!
post #930 of 5227 Old 06-22-2013, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucknuts07 View Post

Did we ever clarify if its worth going to hdmi 4 , for gaming . Some have said it gets rid of dimming , which may be worth it. Also, anyone have picture settings they are using for gaming ?

I'm interested in someone verifying that dimming is disabled via HDMI4 too. I have my Receiver (360/PS3) connected to HDMI4 now and have not noticed the blacks shifting during gaming sessions...but I'm not certain that local dimming is disabled.

HT: 60" Samsung UN60F7100, Infinity Primus 360 towers/152 rears/PC350 center, Elemental Designs A2-300 12" sub
Music: PSB Image 6 bookshelf pair, Yamaha R-S500 stereo receiver, Def Tech AW5500 outdoor speakers for patio
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Samsung Un60f7100 60 Inch 3d Ultra Slim Smart Led Hdtv , Samsung Un46f8000 46 Inch 3d Ultra Slim Smart Led Hdtv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page