Forum Jump: 
post #91 of 5357 Old 05-09-2013, 01:08 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pirates Cove View Post

Almost every 60" Samsung has a Sharp panel F8000, F7500, F7100 etc. its normal.

I see mild flashlighting also, The picture doesn't degrade/washout at angles that quickly, atleast not as bad as the ES7100.

All the panels are more similar than different- I have the 46".

Try turning down the backlight or use the eco sensor, try less than 10.

I've been using a backlight of about 16 for daylight viewing and around 8 for darkened room movie watching. The flashlighting is mild but noticeable in both conditions, but generally not during normal content.

The off angle wash-out is immediate but subtle, shifting over one seat at a distance of 12 feet is enough to see it.

It would be really valuable if someone could do a side by side comparison of the different panels.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 5357 Old 05-09-2013, 03:53 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Does anyone know how best buy returns work? Will I get the shipping back?
post #93 of 5357 Old 05-09-2013, 05:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 694 Post(s)
Liked: 892
Quote:
Originally Posted by iSSues View Post

Does anyone know how best buy returns work? Will I get the shipping back?
You have to pay to ship it back? Can't they just come and pick up the TV or can't you just bring it back to the store?
post #94 of 5357 Old 05-09-2013, 06:34 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 122
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiddenleavez View Post

80% huh, i'm thinking of ordering one of the stand for the 65 inch now in hopes that it works with the un65f7100 I plan on purchasing in July.

Let us know how it works out. I also like the ES8000's Stand.
post #95 of 5357 Old 05-09-2013, 08:35 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Widowmaker777 View Post

As promised, here are some images and a demo video.

UN55F7100

What is that box plugged into the USB port?

Sharp Elite Pro 60

Pioneer Elite VSX-52 Receiver

Pioneer Elite  BDP-62FD BluRay

post #96 of 5357 Old 05-10-2013, 05:01 AM

Liked: 11
It's my solid state drive. I fill it up with movies and plug it in to watch.
post #97 of 5357 Old 05-10-2013, 08:08 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 36
60 inch from 11 feet is actually perfect , for the above post. I asked earleir in this thread about gaming on this tv, on the input lag thread, this set is confirmed to have 38ms input lag in game mode which is actually pretty good. Someone mentioned that there is automatic dimming mode in every picture mode except cinema/movie, does that include the game mode ? Also, do you notice any blurring during gaming ? Samsung in the past, atleast with the eh6000 was able to have low input lag, but by overdriving the pixel which causes smearing with darker colors in fast movement. I picked up a Panasonic St60, and picture quality is amazing, but since I have a 15 day exchange period, I'm naturally curious since this was the other tv I was considering. Also, for the people that have picked up this set, has the flashlighting, and clouding been eliminated ?

Xbox Live- bucknuts07

PSN-bucknuts07

post #98 of 5357 Old 05-10-2013, 09:55 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucknuts07 View Post

. I asked earleir in this thread about gaming on this tv, on the input lag thread, this set is confirmed to have 38ms input lag in game mode which is actually pretty good. Someone mentioned that there is automatic dimming mode in every picture mode except cinema/movie, does that include the game mode ? Also, do you notice any blurring during gaming ? Also, for the people that have picked up this set, has the flashlighting, and clouding been eliminated ?

Yes, the gaming lag is decent and the Micro-Dimming is in Game Mode (Standard).

I have not noticed any blurring during gaming. The HDTV has mild flashlighting and no clouding.
post #99 of 5357 Old 05-10-2013, 01:11 PM

The wall mounting comes with the tv right? Not the bracket but the piece to attach to the tv?

I have a 50 inch plasma now but i want to take it to down and put the LED up there -- I should be good to go right? The bracket was up to 60 inch.
post #100 of 5357 Old 05-10-2013, 01:18 PM

Yes, there are 4 screws and 4 round spacer disk things that are included for wall mounting.
post #101 of 5357 Old 05-10-2013, 03:20 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 14
So what's the difference between the Sharp made panel HH01 and the Samsung one?

Sharp Elite Pro 60

Pioneer Elite VSX-52 Receiver

Pioneer Elite  BDP-62FD BluRay

post #102 of 5357 Old 05-10-2013, 05:18 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidcharles View Post

I've been using a backlight of about 16 for daylight viewing and around 8 for darkened room movie watching. The flashlighting is mild but noticeable in both conditions, but generally not during normal content.

The off angle wash-out is immediate but subtle, shifting over one seat at a distance of 12 feet is enough to see it.

It would be really valuable if someone could do a side by side comparison of the different panels.
I also have the TD02 46" panel and do not see any noticeable off-angle washout from about 10 feet away while moving the entire width of the TV. This is Un-like the Es 46" I previously had which did wash out but a bit if I moved 1 seat position from right or left of the center of the screen. I did think the viewing angle was about the same as the ES until I did a calibration which does seem to improve the viewing angle on this TV. I still have not found any published test results on the actual measured viewing angle but predict it will be quite improved from the poor specs publisdhed for ES 7100 Series. I do not know if the 60" sharp made panel will have better/worse/the same off angle specs but I'm sure it will perform exceptable when set up properly.
post #103 of 5357 Old 05-11-2013, 06:59 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgh26 View Post

I also have the TD02 46" panel and do not see any noticeable off-angle washout from about 10 feet away while moving the entire width of the TV. This is Un-like the Es 46" I previously had which did wash out but a bit if I moved 1 seat position from right or left of the center of the screen. I did think the viewing angle was about the same as the ES until I did a calibration which does seem to improve the viewing angle on this TV. I still have not found any published test results on the actual measured viewing angle but predict it will be quite improved from the poor specs publisdhed for ES 7100 Series. I do not know if the 60" sharp made panel will have better/worse/the same off angle specs but I'm sure it will perform exceptable when set up properly.

+1, Same here off-angle viewing definitely better than the ES7100.
post #104 of 5357 Old 05-11-2013, 09:00 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cahn2621 View Post

I know some posts in the first page said the gaming was good on game mode. But I needed to see if there was any advancement over last year and close to the plasmas. I am ultra competitive game and I don't want to be screwed over because of input lag.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucknuts07 View Post

I asked earleir in this thread about gaming on this tv, on the input lag thread, this set is confirmed to have 38ms input lag in game mode which is actually pretty good.

The Game Mode lag for the F7100 (except 60") is better than the LEDs ES8000, ES7500 & ES7100 and the Plasma E8000 according to:

DisplayLag.com

http://www.displaylag.com/display-database/

Its also better than the F8000 and F8500.
post #105 of 5357 Old 05-11-2013, 09:19 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by XBRSteve View Post

So what's the difference between the Sharp made panel HH01 and the Samsung one?

Honestly, very little maybe the off-angle viewing due to pixel structure and game lag.
post #106 of 5357 Old 05-11-2013, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgh26 View Post

Your description of the off-angle behavior of the ES7100 matches my experience with the 60 inch F7100 with the Sharp panel. I find this whole concept of sticking completely different panels into different size TV's to be obnoxious, and off course it just had to be the size I bought. It's hard enough to shop for TV's as it is, since you really have to depend on online reviews, trying to tell the difference in the store is a waste of time since they aren't calibrated. The reviews though are typically only for one size, so may not be valid at all for other sizes. The other TV I bought and returned before the F7100 was the 60 inch Panasonic ST60 based on the review for the 50 inch version. I returned it because of the Auto Brightness Limiting. Is it more aggressive on the 60 inch version compared to the 50 that was reviewed? Who knows? Now I've bought the F7100 based on a glowing review of the 46" version (http://www.hdtvtest.co.uk/news/samsung-ue46f7000-201304182858.htm). How much of that review holds for the 60 inch? Who knows?
post #107 of 5357 Old 05-11-2013, 01:26 PM

I had a 65f6400 and it kept locking so returned it within 15days to bestbuy and paid for an upgrade to the 65f7100. I dont seem to be able to set the picture as well as the 6400 did automatically. When I chose standard I find that the picture starts out bright enough but then within a minute or two it darkens perceptibly. Am I doing something wrong...
post #108 of 5357 Old 05-11-2013, 02:41 PM

Kidcharles, was there any improvement in the off angle viewing after adjusting the settings? I'm also really annoyed by the misadvertising of this tv. I spent a lot of time trying to choose a tv and debated between 55 and 60 inches. However, I didn't learn about sharp producing the panel until after I already pulled the trigger. The tv is due to arrive next week and while I can return it, it will be a major pain in the ass. Any help is appreciated. Thanks
post #109 of 5357 Old 05-11-2013, 08:13 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by echenberg View Post

I had a 65f6400 and it kept locking so returned it within 15days to bestbuy and paid for an upgrade to the 65f7100. I dont seem to be able to set the picture as well as the 6400 did automatically. When I chose standard I find that the picture starts out bright enough but then within a minute or two it darkens perceptibly. Am I doing something wrong...

In Menu go to System> Eco Solution> Eco Sensor set to Off or increase Min. Backlight.
post #110 of 5357 Old 05-11-2013, 08:28 PM

I was going to get UN60F7050A. I am glad I saw this thread regarding the sharp panels and am now planning to get UN65F7050A.
Any suggestions on the wall mount bracket? I cant seem to find any Ultra-Slim Low Profile for 65" from monoprice.
post #111 of 5357 Old 05-12-2013, 03:48 AM

My 60" came yesterday and so far I realy like it. Have some flashlighting in the bottom edges. Goimg to try 3d today. I don't see any wash out if I move left ir right.

Played the new bioshock and most wanted and no lag that I could see. I might try a swap it out for a new one if the flashlight don't go away.
post #112 of 5357 Old 05-12-2013, 07:47 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by iSSues View Post

My 60" came yesterday and so far I realy like it. Have some flashlighting in the bottom edges. Goimg to try 3d today. I don't see any wash out if I move left ir right.

Played the new bioshock and most wanted and no lag that I could see. I might try a swap it out for a new one if the flashlight don't go away.

Sounds like a winner. I believe that the flashlighting is due to panel stress- its a design issue.

If you choose to swap, the new HDTV may have other problems- or be worse.

The Samsung panel lottery can be really disappointing.

I also have the bottom corners flashlighting - in time it'll get better.
post #113 of 5357 Old 05-12-2013, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cysurvivor View Post

Kidcharles, was there any improvement in the off angle viewing after adjusting the settings? I'm also really annoyed by the misadvertising of this tv. I spent a lot of time trying to choose a tv and debated between 55 and 60 inches. However, I didn't learn about sharp producing the panel until after I already pulled the trigger. The tv is due to arrive next week and while I can return it, it will be a major pain in the ass. Any help is appreciated. Thanks

The obligatory car analogy is "Yes, the car is a BMW but if you get the 4-door model the engine is made by Ford."

Despite my rant, overall I am pretty pleased with this TV. I'm mostly frustrated with the inability to determine if I'm getting the best TV for the money. The only real problems with it are the mild flashlighting during menus/credits and the subtle off-axis washout. The black levels, contrast, and color are all solid, and most crucially the ability of the TV to get bright enough for a sunny room makes me not regret sending back the otherwise very good Panasonic TC-P60ST60.

I got this software upgrade for my Spyder4Pro monitor calibration system (Spyder4TV) to perform the calibration but it is sort of a joke, not recommended at all. It's oriented towards budget TV's with no advanced settings. Also, the word "backlight" never came up during the calibration walkthrough in the software which is kind of amazing. After that it failed to figure out that the backlight was getting turned off at low brightness settings so it's recommendation for brightness was comically bad. Nothing in it for individual RGB channel white balance settings or for 10 point white balance adjustment. I'm thinking of sending it back to Datacolor for a refund.

Here's what I have so far for dark room cal settings:

Backlight: 8 (I've seen others using 6 which is probably closer to a dark room ideal target but I like a little punchier image. 16 works well for a sunlit room.)
Contrast: 98
Brightness: 41 (This setting is crucial, I've noticed changing this by even 2 points makes the difference between a washed out look and nice contrasty scene, and overdoing it can lead to black crush.)
Sharpness: 15 (A lot of people say just set this to 0 but a little bit of sharpness really brings out the detail in good high-def source material. You can push this to probably 20 before there is any visible haloing.)
Color: 56
Tint: 50/50
Color Tone: Warm2
Cinema Black: Low (I'm not sure yet if I can tell if this does anything. In principle it's supposed to darken letterbox bars but I don't really see it.)
Color Space: Auto
White Balance: 25 all (Still working on this, I'm sure this is not ideal but it's not bad.)
Picture Size: 16:9 for Blu-ray Player, Screen Fit for HTPC
All other features set to Off

I'll try to investigate whether my initial calibrations have reduced the off-axis washout effect at all. Stay tuned.
post #114 of 5357 Old 05-12-2013, 10:59 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidcharles View Post

Here's what I have so far for dark room cal settings:

Backlight: 8 (I've seen others using 6 which is probably closer to a dark room ideal target but I like a little punchier image. 16 works well for a sunlit room.)
Contrast: 98
Brightness: 41 (This setting is crucial, I've noticed changing this by even 2 points makes the difference between a washed out look and nice contrasty scene, and overdoing it can lead to black crush.)
Sharpness: 15 (A lot of people say just set this to 0 but a little bit of sharpness really brings out the detail in good high-def source material. You can push this to probably 20 before there is any visible haloing.)

Picture Size: 16:9 for Blu-ray Player, Screen Fit for HTPC
All other features set to Off

Outstanding effort, I agree with the backlight, contrast and sharpness.

Gamma and White Balance will effect the Brightness setting.

Picture size 16:9 is best for 1080i (HDTV broadcasts). Blu-rays are pixel mapped for Screen Fit like the HTPC.

This link is an excellent starting point for calibrations:

http://www.curtpalme.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=10457
post #115 of 5357 Old 05-12-2013, 01:26 PM

Hi All,

I've recently acquired the 60" version from a local Best Buy. Absolutely love this TV. My one and only complaint is that when I was watching a movie on Netflix via my Xbox 360, after about 10-15 minutes
of the movie playing, a small white box (about the size of a quarter) started "bouncing" across the screen within the upper letterbox.

I've never experienced this before and it's very distracting.

If I stop video playback, the white square stops and is frozen on screen until the TV is shut off and turned back on.

The white square does not appear when watching movies from my AppleTV, nor does it appear while gaming.

I've tried to search and Google as much as I can but haven't found anything. Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance!

-Dave

EDIT: After watching The Hobbit for about 20 minutes, the same white square has appeared in the upper letterbox while using AppleTV. This white square doesn't "bounce" across the screen, though. It's just stationary.

Extremely frustrated.
onebigholiday likes this.
post #116 of 5357 Old 05-12-2013, 01:44 PM

How do i know if there are dead pixels on my new 65f7100 TV other than just looking at the screen...is there an app...

Also is there an app for calibration...
post #117 of 5357 Old 05-12-2013, 02:12 PM

-Anyone having issues with mounting this TV on a low profile wall mount (~0.6 inches from the wall)? By looking at the pictures it looks like Samsung didn't make the location of the power plug recessed this time around. I believe the Euro version (F7000) the ES8000 both have recessed power plug.

-Also, specs aside, how does the F7100 compare with last year's ES8000 PQ wise? I plan on purchasing either one in the next couple of weeks to replace my old A850 and any advice would be appreciated.
post #118 of 5357 Old 05-12-2013, 03:20 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by echenberg View Post

How do i know if there are dead pixels on my new 65f7100 TV other than just looking at the screen...is there an app...

Also is there an app for calibration...

Watch a all solid color screen like Movie Ratings or Trailer Screen.

Maybe the Expert Pattern would help, go to Menu > Picture > Advanced Settings > Expert Pattern.

Expert Pattern show calibration test screens.
post #119 of 5357 Old 05-12-2013, 03:26 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sj41 View Post

-Anyone having issues with mounting this TV on a low profile wall mount (~0.6 inches from the wall)? By looking at the pictures it looks like Samsung didn't make the location of the power plug recessed this time around. I believe the Euro version (F7000) the ES8000 both have recessed power plug.

-Also, specs aside, how does the F7100 compare with last year's ES8000 PQ wise? I plan on purchasing either one in the next couple of weeks to replace my old A850 and any advice would be appreciated.

I had the ES7100 and yes, the plug was recessed. The F7100 has a curved power plug.

I had the A850- what an excellent set. It took me 10 Months to find a worth successor- The F7100.

The ES8000 is an excellent set, yet could have banding, clouding and lacks the Cinema Black feature to dim the black bars on widescreen films.

The F7100 is an improved design- with all the ES8000's options except a built-in camera and the "Smart Evolution Kit" slot.

The F7100 has all the Smart Hub 2.0 features that would be bought in the 2013 "Smart Evolution Kit".
post #120 of 5357 Old 05-12-2013, 05:15 PM

Spending the day with 60" I am not a 100% happy and watched a few movies in 3d and got Massive migraines. This is my first 3dtv that i have. I still have my 52b750 which i love and dont see a 2300.00 better pic then it. I have no flash lights on the b750 but have them in all four cornors of the f7100.

My question is how will bestbuy pick thistv up? I paid for the shipping, will they just come back and pick it up. My crv is too small to bring it and dont want to damage it?
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Samsung Un60f7100 60 Inch 3d Ultra Slim Smart Led Hdtv , Samsung Un46f8000 46 Inch 3d Ultra Slim Smart Led Hdtv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page