Official Samsung UNXXF7100 Owners Thread - Page 70 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
post #2071 of 5673 Old 08-16-2013, 11:06 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by rurifan View Post

I had an odd problem earlier today. Started a game on the PS3 and after the normal video mode switch, screen stays black, can't get the menu or anything. Holding the power button and the red light flickers but no response. Eventually I hear the small pop and it turns off. Then I turn it back on and the screen brightness acts very strange, going nearly-invisible dim after ~60 seconds. Bringing up the menu revives the backlight until it dims again. I went and fiddled all the ECO options off/on to ensure they were off, to no effect. Eventually I did a factory reset and all is well again.

Kinda depressing to see that kind of hokey behavior. As if there weren't enough problems...
Well I've been saying for some time the Factory Reset seems to clear up mysterious firmware issues that develop after an update. I've had to do the reset EVERY Time I do a firmware update or I'll always find glitches sooner or later. Is this correct? FFFFFFFFFFF NO! But it sure keeps the returns lower and less cases of TV insanity symdrome! Samsung is really good at spreading this around. eek.gif
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2072 of 5673 Old 08-17-2013, 06:42 AM

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by PiratesCove View Post

No its not solid blue it has the color gradient of 8-bit color mentioned a few pages back.

Its always been that way from the D series, ES series and now the F series- see above post.

I know its difficult to stop looking for issues.

I've been there before...so I known how it can be.

#1 Realize that no HDTV is perfect.

#2 Every TV has "flaws" you won't notice for weeks, months or years later.

#3 Focus on the content not the idealized technical performance.

Then, again you may have a issue with the Smart Hub screen.
I agree with you. But these lines during the movie a very distracting and can't let this slide when spending 2000 on a tv. Gonna hopefully do my last swap. As I think about it, can it be that I'm seeing parts of what's behind the screen ? Meaning the layers are so close I'm seeing what's going on behind the actual screen?
post #2073 of 5673 Old 08-17-2013, 06:46 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 141
Quote:
Originally Posted by RexHarrison View Post

TV's are all **** nowadays. I seriously regret selling my 5 year old 40" Samsung 6series that had zero problems except for being to small for my living room. I've had 5 brand new TV's in my house in the past month and they all had serious defects. I wish I didn't sell that 40" already. If I could do it over I would wait for this generation of TVs to pass. LED backlit / thin cabinet TV's are complete trash. Plasma has its own issues but I might end up buying a place holder plasma to get me through this generation of crap !

+1, At times I miss the polish and precise engineering of my Samsung A850 (2008 model).

It seemed like the 2007-2008 HDTV's were made to really impress and spared no expense in manufacturing.

The post-recession HDTVs seem like a lot of corners have been cut- in their internal design and manufacturing.

Even the current HDTV broadcast can't hold a candle to 2008-2010 broadcast quality (no macroblocking, high bandwith and minimal compression).

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgh26 View Post

Well I've been saying for some time the Factory Reset seems to clear up mysterious firmware issues that develop after an update. I've had to do the reset EVERY Time I do a firmware update or I'll always find glitches sooner or later. Is this correct? FFFFFFFFFFF NO! But it sure keeps the returns lower and less cases of TV insanity symdrome! Samsung is really good at spreading this around. eek.gif

Yes, Samsung's focus seems to be forever on "next year's model" and CES at the expense of the support of its current series.

I have to wonder how much time, effort and expenses go into firmware and support vs. research and development or new features.
post #2074 of 5673 Old 08-17-2013, 06:54 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by matrix123 View Post

I agree with you. But these lines during the movie a very distracting and can't let this slide when spending 2000 on a tv. Gonna hopefully do my last swap. As I think about it, can it be that I'm seeing parts of what's behind the screen ? Meaning the layers are so close I'm seeing what's going on behind the actual screen?

I hope you get a worry-free set this time.

I went through 3 repairs on my Samsung A series tv, 4 exchanges and 3 repairs on D series models, 3 repairs and an exchange on the ES series and 1 repair on the F series.

I know how bad all of these issues can be on personal morale and your expectations.
post #2075 of 5673 Old 08-17-2013, 06:57 AM

Quote:

I hope you get a worry-free set this time.

I went through 3 repairs on my Samsung A series tv, 4 exchanges and 3 repairs on D series models, 3 repairs and an exchange on the ES series and 1 repair on the F series.

I know how bad all of these issues can be on personal morale and your expectations.
It's a shame cause if this set didn't have these weird lines which no tv I've ever owned had it'd be perfect for me. Was so close. Wish it only had a section of the lines and not entire screen. Will post later after my third trip to best buy.
post #2076 of 5673 Old 08-17-2013, 07:08 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wirth05 View Post

What the heck guys? I currently have a 46" polaroid I bought from Walmart that has none of the issues described in the 2000+ posts. Before I read all of these posts I was certain I would buy the 65" F7100 after next payday. What is the point in even buying a 240hz tv if everyone turns off the motion processing to avoid terrible side effects? I'm just a little skeptical at this point... If I pay $2000+ for a tv it better have "0" imperfections... Clouding, banding, flashlighting...really wtf? I have seen the tv at best buy and hhgregg, and it looks awesome on display with the samsung feed. What's with the problems? I mean damn if I wanted all these issues I'd buy a Vizio....

If Samsung put picture quality as its #1 priority a lot of these issues wouldn't exist.

Samsung is now more concerned about "out-featuring" the competition.

Each year flagship innovative features get incorporated into the 6000 and 7000 series.

So Anynet +, RVU, Smart Hub, Web Browser, 3D, AllShare, Voice Control, Motion Control, ConnectShare, and S-Recommendation are in the F7100 and do ZERO for picture quality.
post #2077 of 5673 Old 08-17-2013, 07:11 AM

Quote:

It's a shame cause if this set didn't have these weird lines which no tv I've ever owned had it'd be perfect for me. Was so close. Wish it only had a section of the lines and not entire screen. Will post later after my third trip to best buy.
Just spoke with sales manager at best buy and she said she had 5 returns based on the same issue I have and approved an exchange right away. She also said she called samsung corporate about the issue. Their new batch she said has had no returns so I hope I'm one of them.
post #2078 of 5673 Old 08-17-2013, 07:15 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Just spoke with sales manager at best buy and she said she had 5 returns based on the same issue I have and approved an exchange right away. She also said she called samsung corporate about the issue. Their new batch she said has had no returns so I hope I'm one of them.

Cool cool.gif
post #2079 of 5673 Old 08-17-2013, 09:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 526 Post(s)
Liked: 312
Quote:

If Samsung put picture quality as its #1 priority a lot of these issues wouldn't exist.

Samsung is now more concerned about "out-featuring" the competition.

Each year flagship innovative features get incorporated into the 6000 and 7000 series.

So Anynet +, RVU, Smart Hub, Web Browser, 3D, AllShare, Voice Control, Motion Control, ConnectShare, and S-Recommendation are in the F7100 and do ZERO for picture quality.

There are no picture quality attributes of significance to migrate down to the "7" series. That is until next model year with the "real" local dimming scheme.biggrin.gif

Samsung PN51F8500
Samsung PN60E7000
OPPO BDP-103 Universal Disc Player
Vizio SB4051-C0 Soundbar w/wireless Subwoofer
post #2080 of 5673 Old 08-17-2013, 12:56 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
do you guys think changing the ECO setting to Low and cranking up the backlight and contrast might reduce the visibility of the vertical banding a bit?
post #2081 of 5673 Old 08-17-2013, 01:38 PM

Liked: 11
Hey guys! I had some questions. Back about a month ago I bought the F7100 and after an hour of being on it would power cycle automatically. I could turn it off a minute before an hour and turn it right back on and it would last for another hour exactly. So I returned it and got the F8000 series instead thinking different model and it shouldn't happen. I was wrong. It also did it. I called Samsung and they sent a tech out which replaced the main board and the power supply on the unit. Turned it, an hour later it turned off and back on again. I was so fed up with Samsung. I kept trying to tell them it was a firmware issue, which I still believe is true, but they said that the firmware would have absolutely nothing to do with this. So I went out and bought a new Panasonic plasma panel and it works a charm, but now I'm thinking of getting yet another new TV for my bedroom and I loved the picture quality on the Samsung LED F7100/F8000 far more so I was wondering if anyone had heard of this issue. I saw some posts from Piratescove with the Cinema Black being on Med/High and it power cycling, but I always had that set to off. I'm nervous about spending the money again on a panel that will just keep doing this.

So i guess my real question is, is this a firmware issue that I was having? Do you think this has been resolved? Has anyone else had this issue? Any thoughts or advice would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!
post #2082 of 5673 Old 08-17-2013, 01:54 PM

Liked: 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by emoxxxkid View Post

Hey guys! I had some questions. Back about a month ago I bought the F7100 and after an hour of being on it would power cycle automatically. I could turn it off a minute before an hour and turn it right back on and it would last for another hour exactly. So I returned it and got the F8000 series instead thinking different model and it shouldn't happen. I was wrong. It also did it. I called Samsung and they sent a tech out which replaced the main board and the power supply on the unit. Turned it, an hour later it turned off and back on again. I was so fed up with Samsung. I kept trying to tell them it was a firmware issue, which I still believe is true, but they said that the firmware would have absolutely nothing to do with this. So I went out and bought a new Panasonic plasma panel and it works a charm, but now I'm thinking of getting yet another new TV for my bedroom and I loved the picture quality on the Samsung LED F7100/F8000 far more so I was wondering if anyone had heard of this issue. I saw some posts from Piratescove with the Cinema Black being on Med/High and it power cycling, but I always had that set to off. I'm nervous about spending the money again on a panel that will just keep doing this.

So i guess my real question is, is this a firmware issue that I was having? Do you think this has been resolved? Has anyone else had this issue? Any thoughts or advice would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

Why not buy another Panasonic Plasma ? They're cheaper and you said yourself it works like a charm. I've bought 3 Samsungs in the past month and all have had picture problems. I'm thinking of returning the F7100 that I have now for a Panasonic S60. Which model did you buy ?
post #2083 of 5673 Old 08-17-2013, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RexHarrison View Post

Why not buy another Panasonic Plasma ? They're cheaper and you said yourself it works like a charm. I've bought 3 Samsungs in the past month and all have had picture problems. I'm thinking of returning the F7100 that I have now for a Panasonic S60. Which model did you buy ?

Because, to me, the picture was far better on the LED panel than the Plasma. It's a lot crisper, more depth, and pops out more, plus the 3D was FAR better. Works like charm, meaning it doesn't turn off automatically haha. I bought the Panasonic VT60, which was about $2,300 and the 55" F7100 is $1,700 so it's quite a bit cheaper. Not to mention the doubling of electricity being used between the Plasma and the LED.
post #2084 of 5673 Old 08-17-2013, 02:42 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Hey guys! I had some questions. Back about a month ago I bought the F7100 and after an hour of being on it would power cycle automatically. I could turn it off a minute before an hour and turn it right back on and it would last for another hour exactly. So I returned it and got the F8000 series instead thinking different model and it shouldn't happen. I was wrong. It also did it. I called Samsung and they sent a tech out which replaced the main board and the power supply on the unit. Turned it, an hour later it turned off and back on again. I kept trying to tell them it was a firmware issue, which I still believe is true, but they said that the firmware would have absolutely nothing to do with this. I saw some posts from Piratescove with the Cinema Black being on Med/High and it power cycling, but I always had that set to off.

I also believe its firmware related.

Firmware 1014 had no reports of Cinema Black related issues or the power cycle.

I have had some firmware versions where issues showed up- others where everything was okay.

I also had the main board replaced - yet no cycles with Cinema Black / black bars afterwards.

I did get a cycle based on the smart hub, as another member reported and wrote about in detail.

The reports of cycles have died down to next to nothing.

So is it safe to get a F7100? It is for now.
post #2085 of 5673 Old 08-17-2013, 02:47 PM

Quote:

I also believe its firmware related.

Firmware 1014 had no reports of Cinema Black related issues or the power cycle.

I have had some firmware versions where issues showed up- others where everything was okay.

I also had the main board replaced - yet no cycles with Cinema Black / black bars afterwards.

I did get a cycle based on the smart hub, as another member reported and wrote about in detail.

The reports of cycles have died down to next to nothing.

So is it safe to get a F7100? It is for now.

Yeah, I've spent literally the last 4 hours reading through this entire forum. Nothing exactly like I was experiencing, but similar. I think I am going to try it out, maybe first without updating the firmware and using it straight out of the box to see if it works and if it does, then update the firmware and if it does it, then I'll know why and return it. It's just really annoying when you're trying to watch a movie or play a game and it just shuts off for absolutely no reason.

Thanks for the reply!
emileg likes this.
post #2086 of 5673 Old 08-17-2013, 02:57 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by theP0PE View Post

do you guys think changing the ECO setting to Low and cranking up the backlight and contrast might reduce the visibility of the vertical banding a bit?

Not really, the vertical banding is in the panel's design and dependent upon size.

I tried every fix with a Samsung D6900 to get rid of horizontal and then vertical banding.

The banding is caused by curved areas in a panel that light can't travel in a straight line- thus the lighter and darker lines.
post #2087 of 5673 Old 08-17-2013, 03:03 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Yeah, I've spent literally the last 4 hours reading through this entire forum. Nothing exactly like I was experiencing, but similar. I think I am going to try it out, maybe first without updating the firmware and using it straight out of the box to see if it works and if it does, then update the firmware and if it does it, then I'll know why and return it. It's just really annoying when you're trying to watch a movie or play a game and it just shuts off for absolutely no reason.

Thanks for the reply!

Were you watching movies with the black bars on the top and bottom?

Or was it cycling on varied sources and material?
post #2088 of 5673 Old 08-17-2013, 03:24 PM

Quote:

Were you watching movies with the black bars on the top and bottom?

Or was it cycling on varied sources and material?

It was cycling on any source, even the netflix app, with different materials so cable, streaming, blu-ray, xbox, ps3...everything.

I turned off anynet and that resolved the issue when using netflix until I went to use anything on the remote, it would freeze up and then power cycle.

So this has nothing to do with cinema black or anything. It happened on firmwares 1105 and 1107, that's when I decided to return it.
post #2089 of 5673 Old 08-17-2013, 05:11 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

It was cycling on any source, even the netflix app, with different materials so cable, streaming, blu-ray, xbox, ps3...everything.

I turned off anynet and that resolved the issue when using netflix until I went to use anything on the remote, it would freeze up and then power cycle.

So this has nothing to do with cinema black or anything. It happened on firmwares 1105 and 1107, that's when I decided to return it.

Thanks for the information.
post #2090 of 5673 Old 08-17-2013, 05:33 PM

Quote:

Yeah, for sure. I just bought the F7100 and am setting it up now. I'm going to run it for an hour without the firmware update to see what it does, then if it passes that, then I'll update it to the latest firmware. I'll update you when I'm done. Should be either an hour or 2. Here's to hoping!
post #2091 of 5673 Old 08-17-2013, 06:07 PM

Well call me a tv noob but I have no idea what all these terms you guys are using. Pirates, do you mind giving me the run down on all these terms like clouding? Banding? The list apparently goes on forever...

Im also wondering whats the best choice to hook my Samsung TV to a sound bar. I want the highest quality sound from my DVR box and my ps3 (which is what i use for blu ray)?
post #2092 of 5673 Old 08-17-2013, 06:28 PM

Quote:

Latest update. Ran TV for an hour out of the box (firmware 1105), shut off after exactly an hour. Downloading and installing the latest firmware now. Will run and report back afterwards.
post #2093 of 5673 Old 08-17-2013, 06:48 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hip2bSquare View Post

Well call me a tv noob but I have no idea what all these terms you guys are using. Pirates, do you mind giving me the run down on all these terms like clouding? Banding? The list apparently goes on forever...

Im also wondering whats the best choice to hook my Samsung TV to a sound bar. I want the highest quality sound from my DVR box and my ps3 (which is what i use for blu ray)?

Your wish is Granted.....All you ever wanted to know about Samsungs but were...

The link below is a complete guide to Samsung ES terms used at AVS:

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1399319/official-samsung-unxxes8000-owners-thread/7620#post_22681768

I don't have a clue about Sound Bars...sorry.
Rey L likes this.
post #2094 of 5673 Old 08-17-2013, 06:52 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Latest update. Ran TV for an hour out of the box (firmware 1105), shut off after exactly an hour. Downloading and installing the latest firmware now. Will run and report back afterwards.

That's too bad...maybe fw. ver. 1110 will fix it.
post #2095 of 5673 Old 08-17-2013, 07:44 PM

Quote:

That's too bad...maybe fw. ver. 1110 will fix it.

Well it looks like I'm returning this. I've lost complete faith in Samsung. It's an amazing looking TV, but if it can't stay on, then it's a complete waste. Such a shame. Returning back to Best Buy tomorrow. Thanks for your help anyways guys.
post #2096 of 5673 Old 08-17-2013, 09:10 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:

Well it looks like I'm returning this. I've lost complete faith in Samsung. It's an amazing looking TV, but if it can't stay on, then it's a complete waste. Such a shame. Returning back to Best Buy tomorrow. Thanks for your help anyways guys.
Could the problem be with your power source? Do you use a battery backup?
post #2097 of 5673 Old 08-17-2013, 09:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by emileg View Post

Could the problem be with your power source? Do you use a battery backup?

I've tried this on 3 different outlets, with and without surge protectors. I've tried 3 different TV's and none of them have this issue. I'm currently even running my Panasonic VT60 about 18 hours a day to get it ready to be calibrated (gotta love Plasma). I'm talking to a tech on Samsung Live Chat right now trying to figure this out. It's the weirdest thing in the world frown.gif I just want the TV to stay on.
post #2098 of 5673 Old 08-17-2013, 09:52 PM

Liked: 12
Emoxxxkid, that just sucks... I'm sorry to hear about all your troubles. The F7100 is truly an awesome TV. Samsung's quality control stinks. I was thinking to exchange my 60 inch for a 65in; however, I don't want to risk getting a faulty set, especially when my 60in is performing amazing.

I just watched Avatar 3D and Avengers today...Damn the PQs were stunning. It feels like my TV is just getting better after hours of usage. I thinking I am going to pay for a ISF/THX calibration soon.

On another note, does anyone have an OPPO 103 connected to their F7100? If so, how is the performance? I current using my PS3 as my BR 3D player. I might buy an OPPO 103 of the Sony S790.
post #2099 of 5673 Old 08-17-2013, 10:35 PM

Liked: 10
Can anyone tell me how I can adjust film mode? The option is greyed out on my television.
post #2100 of 5673 Old 08-18-2013, 06:05 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thdfl07 View Post

Can anyone tell me how I can adjust film mode? The option is greyed out on my television.

Film Mode is only available for 1080i sources.
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Samsung Un60f7100 60 Inch 3d Ultra Slim Smart Led Hdtv , Samsung Un46f8000 46 Inch 3d Ultra Slim Smart Led Hdtv
Gear in this thread