Official Samsung UNXXF7100 Owners Thread - Page 76 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #2251 of 5234 Old 08-25-2013, 08:55 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm just wondering if anyone who owns a 7100 series had ever owned an f8000 series and could tell me if there is a big difference in picture quality? I don't do any gaming and all the special things like using hand gestures to control the tv don't really interest me.I've looked at both tv's and they both have a great picture but I'm kind of confused on whether to save the money and get the 7100 or if there is a big difference in the picture go for the 8000.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2252 of 5234 Old 08-25-2013, 09:43 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cakendall View Post

I'm just wondering if anyone who owns a 7100 series had ever owned an f8000 series and could tell me if there is a big difference in picture quality? I don't do any gaming and all the special things like using hand gestures to control the tv don't really interest me.I've looked at both tv's and they both have a great picture but I'm kind of confused on whether to save the money and get the 7100 or if there is a big difference in the picture go for the 8000.

I'd like to know this as well but in my case i do gaming a lot and and want the tv for the xbone and ps4
i dont care about the gestures and the other stuff just picture quality and input lag
smile.gif
post #2253 of 5234 Old 08-25-2013, 10:10 AM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by cakendall View Post

I had to make the same decision. I got a refund for last year's es8000 due to horrible banding. While I had the 8000 I never used the hand gesture feature it actually got annoying. I would save the extra cash if I where you. I did! I couldn't be happier. I know the 8000 has the quad core but I have not noticed a need for my tv to be faster. It streams netflix etc. And moves about its interface quickly.
post #2254 of 5234 Old 08-25-2013, 10:14 AM

am I the only one noticing purplish trails on this TV? similar to green trails I saw on my old Philips

such a bummer
post #2255 of 5234 Old 08-25-2013, 10:40 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 112
Quote:
Originally Posted by theP0PE View Post

am I the only one noticing purplish trails on this TV? similar to green trails I saw on my old Philips

such a bummer

I've never seen "trails" on the F7100 and I have a old Phillips LCD EDTV without "trails".

Have you tried changing the Auto Motion Plus settings?

Do you get the "trails" on all sources and HDMI inputs?
post #2256 of 5234 Old 08-25-2013, 10:45 AM

I have all auto motion set to off

it's not too noticeable but it's mostly seen when panning with a dark object against a lighter gray background. there is a purplish trail following the darker object

my last Philips had great reviews but there was green EVERYWHERE in motion. why does this go unnoticed by reviewers?

seriously about to buy my 4th TV this summer
post #2257 of 5234 Old 08-25-2013, 11:47 AM

I've tried Phillips, LG and Samsung in the last few months

I guess it's time for a Sony....
post #2258 of 5234 Old 08-25-2013, 11:51 AM

Liked: 14
Quote:

Have you checked out the Sharp 8 series? I saw the 7 series at hhgregg and was pretty impressed. No issues at all on both displays they had up. 7 series has a matte screen where as the 8 has semi gloss. They didnt have any 8 series on display, but ordered one online. I wasnt impressed with the Samsung honestly. I saw to many issues with it as did my wife.
post #2259 of 5234 Old 08-25-2013, 12:23 PM

no I haven't checked out any Sharps

I just can't believe all these TVs I'm paying $1,000+ for have so many visible issues

do companies these days worry more about how thin and shiny the TV is rather than how it actually performs?
post #2260 of 5234 Old 08-25-2013, 12:35 PM

Hi all.

I just picked up a 65f7100 after looking at many 65" and 70" tvs. I felt like this offered the best picture quality from what I could tell. I've used piratecove's settings that were posted within the last week or so for 0110. The only changes I've made is I added slightly more color. I have Directv and pass everything through a Sony HTS-2300 system.

On DirecTV, the pictures overall look pretty good with these settings. However, on occasion, the picture seems soft, blurry or out of focus. For example, I can watch golf and the picture looks pretty good, but the scoreboard they show seems kind of blurry and out of focus. Sometimes the picture doesn't seem quite as vibrant as others like it's ever so slightly washed out.

Are there any specific settings I could mess with to see if it fixes either problem? I like my pictures to look a little more vibrant and vivid than what most on here may like. Not to the point that it's cartoonish, but a little more than natural. Could it be the signal quality of DirecTV causing this?

If anyone has any suggestions, I would appreciate it. I'm trying to make sure I want to keep this before my return period runs out.
post #2261 of 5234 Old 08-25-2013, 12:43 PM

Plan on buying one of these in a week from Best Buy.

Anything I should know?
post #2262 of 5234 Old 08-25-2013, 01:37 PM

Liked: 66
Quote:

no I haven't checked out any Sharps

I just can't believe all these TVs I'm paying $1,000+ for have so many visible issues

do companies these days worry more about how thin and shiny the TV is rather than how it actually performs?

Yes, they also worry about how many non-features like motion and voice control, and redundant/useless apps they can force feed us so they can jack up the prices. What very few picture quality enhancement features they do have, are reserved only for the most "feature" bloated top of the line sets which have astronomical price tags.
post #2263 of 5234 Old 08-25-2013, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nom de QWERTY View Post

Does anyone have a suggestion for a good switch box that will allow us to connect a mixture of component and composite video devices? Preferably one that has been tested with this TV and is under 100 dollars?

Anybody? Is anyone using any sort of switch to change between analog devices? And (assuming that the device doesn't convert) does the TV have any issues detecting a composite vs component video feed? I see that monoprice has a component switching device that's pretty reasonable, but don't know if the auto-sensing feature will see that component cables are plugged in and refuse to recognize the composite video signal.

Also, I don't suppose there's any sort of discrete code that will turn off the internal speakers for an activity set up with my Harmony remote to run the audio through my receiver...
post #2264 of 5234 Old 08-25-2013, 02:03 PM

Quote:

If you're thinking of going with the W900a I'd say for sure try it out. I tried the 802a and it was a Clouding/Flashlighting nightmare. It was unwatchable at night. I've tried 2 different Samsung models, a Vizio M, and a Sony 802a, I wouldn't recommend any of them. I'm thinking of going back to the Vizio actually because the price is right and all around it's pretty solid. I love the F7100 but this is my second one with issues, and at $1700 it should have no problems at all.
post #2265 of 5234 Old 08-25-2013, 02:21 PM

yeah I really do like the F7100's picture. it's a nice TV

but these panel issues (banding, clouding, trailing) are really stressing me out. I paid like 1,500 for this thing. c'mon!
post #2266 of 5234 Old 08-25-2013, 03:00 PM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpmz71 View Post

Hi all.

I just picked up a 65f7100 after looking at many 65" and 70" tvs. I felt like this offered the best picture quality from what I could tell. I've used piratecove's settings that were posted within the last week or so for 0110. The only changes I've made is I added slightly more color. I have Directv and pass everything through a Sony HTS-2300 system.

On DirecTV, the pictures overall look pretty good with these settings. However, on occasion, the picture seems soft, blurry or out of focus. For example, I can watch golf and the picture looks pretty good, but the scoreboard they show seems kind of blurry and out of focus. Sometimes the picture doesn't seem quite as vibrant as others like it's ever so slightly washed out.

Are there any specific settings I could mess with to see if it fixes either problem? I like my pictures to look a little more vibrant and vivid than what most on here may like. Not to the point that it's cartoonish, but a little more than natural. Could it be the signal quality of DirecTV causing this?

If anyone has any suggestions, I would appreciate it. I'm trying to make sure I want to keep this before my return period runs out.
Try standard or natural mode. Both are much more vivid than movie.
post #2267 of 5234 Old 08-25-2013, 04:14 PM

Liked: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nom de QWERTY View Post

Anybody? Is anyone using any sort of switch to change between analog devices? And (assuming that the device doesn't convert) does the TV have any issues detecting a composite vs component video feed? I see that monoprice has a component switching device that's pretty reasonable, but don't know if the auto-sensing feature will see that component cables are plugged in and refuse to recognize the composite video signal.

Also, I don't suppose there's any sort of discrete code that will turn off the internal speakers for an activity set up with my Harmony remote to run the audio through my receiver...
Why not leave your component In device on the component TV input and get a composite RCA > HDMI switch Adaptor. It costs under $50. It has both composite and RCA style audio L/R inputs that upscales and outputs hdmi 1080P. Now all you would need is one extra hdmi port I've seem them currently sold at rakuten.com. I've got the same need and am going to get one real soon myself.
post #2268 of 5234 Old 08-25-2013, 05:18 PM

Also I have with piratecove's settings, my red is extremely bright. Almost to the point of glowing. How can I calm that down? I tried the moving the G50/R50 over to the green side a bit, and that seems to have helped mute the red a bit, but I wasn't sure if that's the correct way of doing it.
post #2269 of 5234 Old 08-25-2013, 06:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wirth05 View Post

The icons on the box indicate that it is not suppose to be transported lying down. All literature says it's not a good idea. You may get lucky, but then again you may not...
Does it? It looked like the 7050 I saw at Costco had an icon where it was flat with an arrow pointing up that said front. Glad I asked, then!
post #2270 of 5234 Old 08-25-2013, 08:36 PM

After owning my second set (657100) a month to the day and being so satisfied with it, I unfortunately found what I think is a dead pixel in the upper right hand corner of the screen. It doesn't show up with all colors, so I'm not quite sure if the pixel's actually dead. However, I noticed it during a golf broadcast while the picture was focused on the sky. The good news is I'm still just inside Amazon's exchange window, but I have to make a decision fast. The bad news is other than this dead pixel popping up I've been so pleased with this set compared to my last.
post #2271 of 5234 Old 08-25-2013, 09:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgh26 View Post

Why not leave your component In device on the component TV input and get a composite RCA > HDMI switch Adaptor. It costs under $50. It has both composite and RCA style audio L/R inputs that upscales and outputs hdmi 1080P. Now all you would need is one extra hdmi port I've seem them currently sold at rakuten.com. I've got the same need and am going to get one real soon myself.

Thanks for the idea - I didn't consider using one of the spare HDMI ports.

Two concerns, however - first, the only ones I saw in the $50 range didn't have switches - they were a single composite>HDMI converter. As for upscaling - well, from what I've read, not all upscalers are created equal and I'd be a bit wary of a cheap one. I'd rather let the TV do the upscaling, honestly.

But thanks. That gives me another possible route to go.
post #2272 of 5234 Old 08-25-2013, 10:55 PM

Quote:

I have all auto motion set to off

it's not too noticeable but it's mostly seen when panning with a dark object against a lighter gray background. there is a purplish trail following the darker object

my last Philips had great reviews but there was green EVERYWHERE in motion. why does this go unnoticed by reviewers?

seriously about to buy my 4th TV this summer

That's interesting. The purple trail sounds like you're actually seeing the LCD pixel response time lag. Normally that is hidden by other types of motion blur (low frame rate judder, LCD persistence of vision etc). Auto Motion Plus processing must be eliminating all the other motion blur so well you're able to see this.

I had actually never seen it myself until recently, using test patterns with PerPixAn. I was very surprised but, compared to all the other kinds of motion issues, response time trails is the least offensive thing I've seen. If you have a computer connected to the TV, I suggest playing with PerPixAn and Testufo.com, it's very interesting.

If response time trails bother you, a different LCD technology (IPS panel from LG or Panasonic) might be better for you. Or a Plasma. But beware, they have their own set of imperfections to live with.
post #2273 of 5234 Old 08-26-2013, 05:19 AM

Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by wagszilla View Post

Plan on buying one of these in a week from Best Buy.

Anything I should know?
Welcome to AVS Forum and congratulations on your first post. As you can see there are probably over 2200 pieces of information relevant to this TV. While it would be extremely time consuming to read over 75 pages, it might be worthwhile to read perhaps the last 10 to bring you up to speed. There is obviously a lot to know. Perhaps if you asked a specific rather than a general question, you may get helpful responses.
post #2274 of 5234 Old 08-26-2013, 04:14 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadthree024 View Post

After owning my second set (657100) a month to the day and being so satisfied with it, I unfortunately found what I think is a dead pixel in the upper right hand corner of the screen. It doesn't show up with all colors, so I'm not quite sure if the pixel's actually dead. However, I noticed it during a golf broadcast while the picture was focused on the sky. The good news is I'm still just inside Amazon's exchange window, but I have to make a decision fast. The bad news is other than this dead pixel popping up I've been so pleased with this set compared to my last.

Unfortunately, the exchanged set could be worse.

If you can live with the stuck pixel....keep it.

Personally I would "roll the dice", begin the "panel lottery" and try for a better set.
post #2275 of 5234 Old 08-26-2013, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadthree024 View Post

Have you seen it up close ? If the pixel is black then it's dead, if its stuck on red or blue then you might be able to unstick it.
post #2276 of 5234 Old 08-26-2013, 05:11 PM

Silver or black remote?
post #2277 of 5234 Old 08-26-2013, 05:16 PM

I just got the Samsung 65 inch 7100 series tv today and love the picture! I use to own a Sony HX800 and I'm blown away how much clearer this tv is compared to my old one. I am trying to find a stand for the tv so I can place the Klipsch HD Theater SB3 Soundbar beneath it. The tv stand is not big enough to put the tv and soundbar next to it so I will need to raise the tv.

I'm looking for something like the link below but at least 45 inches wide to place the soundbar under it and sturdy enough to have the tv on it.

http://www.amazon.com/3M-Adjustable-Monitor-Stand-MS80B/dp/B0006HVM5E/ref=sr_1_3?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1377562046&sr=1-3&keywords=monitor+stand

Anyone know of where i can find one?

Thanks!
post #2278 of 5234 Old 08-26-2013, 05:45 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wirth05 View Post

Silver or black remote?

Its black and identical to the silver F8000, F8500 like remote.
post #2279 of 5234 Old 08-26-2013, 06:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PiratesCove View Post

Its black and identical to the silver F8000, F8500 like remote.
Ok mine is too. I saw a couple silver ones and was wondering what was up. Thanks!
post #2280 of 5234 Old 08-26-2013, 06:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rurifan View Post

That's interesting. The purple trail sounds like you're actually seeing the LCD pixel response time lag. Normally that is hidden by other types of motion blur (low frame rate judder, LCD persistence of vision etc). Auto Motion Plus processing must be eliminating all the other motion blur so well you're able to see this.

I had actually never seen it myself until recently, using test patterns with PerPixAn. I was very surprised but, compared to all the other kinds of motion issues, response time trails is the least offensive thing I've seen. If you have a computer connected to the TV, I suggest playing with PerPixAn and Testufo.com, it's very interesting.

If response time trails bother you, a different LCD technology (IPS panel from LG or Panasonic) might be better for you. Or a Plasma. But beware, they have their own set of imperfections to live with.

don't all LG LCDs have forced dimming now or something? my last one did and I couldn't get past it. at least with my F7100 I can use movie mode

and as for the purple trails, I've only noticed it maybe 3 or 4 times since I got the TV a month or 2 ago. not a deal breaker just yet
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Samsung Un60f7100 60 Inch 3d Ultra Slim Smart Led Hdtv , Samsung Un46f8000 46 Inch 3d Ultra Slim Smart Led Hdtv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page