Official Samsung UNXXF7100 Owners Thread - Page 79 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #2341 of 5357 Old 09-01-2013, 04:45 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
doesn't matter. no settings change will remove the horrible banding or purple trails. I'm getting sick of every TV I buy having issues

and now the companies are forcing this garbage dimming that causes the brightness to fluctuate from scene to scene. who the f*** considered that a good idea?

I'm running out of options here
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2342 of 5357 Old 09-01-2013, 05:18 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by SamOner View Post

Are you using direct tv, etc..?

Verizon FIOS. Does service provider cause this kind of issue?
post #2343 of 5357 Old 09-01-2013, 07:05 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by theP0PE View Post

seriously how much money do I have to spend to find a TV without glaring issues? I spent $1,500 on this piece of crap only to discover horrible screen uniformity issues, completely noticeable banding, clouding, etc etc. Not to mention the abysmal purple trails. I thought Samsung made good TVs?

is this a money issue or do I need to go for another technology altogether? maybe plasma? but I'm sure plasma has a long list of its own issues, too.

this s*** is downright stressful
So have you exchanged your original TV with the banding yet? You seem to be really unhappy but all the posting in the world won't make your problem go away. If you already have tried a 2nd TV and still have issues, mabye a differfent brand will make you happier. I don't think spending more money is going to be your solution since it seems like all TV tech at the present time for every manufacture has some build and design quality issues. It seems like you are going to have to play the panel lottery no matter which brand you choose to purchase. Just read all of the different threads. There are strong and weak points for each TV discussed. Some have had really good luck with their first TV while others have done several exchanges to finally get a good one. AND.... Even then down the road new problems developed with the cherry poicked "good one" that required a repair or another exchange. This happened to me and the panel lottery started all over again. Good luck to you and I hope you do find a good one that makes you happy. It's not very easy some times and takes a TON of patients.
post #2344 of 5357 Old 09-01-2013, 07:31 PM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aeonix01 View Post

Verizon FIOS. Does service provider cause this kind of issue?

My direct tv lagged a bit. Try this, it help me.

In picture options
Film mode: Auto 2
Auto motion plus: Clear
post #2345 of 5357 Old 09-01-2013, 08:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamOner View Post

My direct tv lagged a bit. Try this, it help me.

In picture options
Film mode: Auto 2
Auto motion plus: Clear

Thanks. I'll save those settings on a file.

It's not lagging. I think I worded poorly. It is an occasional soap opera effect. Twice, the set turned Automotion plus on after I turned it off. Seems for now to be staying off. Occasionally, I get the effect with it off, as well as other motion smoothing and de-judder options turned off. I think it is ok for now though.

The other issues I was having involved the set going lighter and darker on its own in darker scenes. I think I got that fixed in settings as well. I was also getting some black crush, but, I think that was with contrast too high. Seem to have fixed that as well.

Now, my only issue I do not think lies with the set. Artifacts on screen while streaming video(Netflix for example). If the issues remain fixed, I'll be happy to offer the settings I use. They're not perfect I'm sure, but, someone else may like them or they may help someone with these issues.
post #2346 of 5357 Old 09-01-2013, 09:16 PM

Liked: 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by theP0PE View Post

seriously how much money do I have to spend to find a TV without glaring issues? I spent $1,500 on this piece of crap only to discover horrible screen uniformity issues, completely noticeable banding, clouding, etc etc. Not to mention the abysmal purple trails. I thought Samsung made good TVs?

is this a money issue or do I need to go for another technology altogether? maybe plasma? but I'm sure plasma has a long list of its own issues, too.

this s*** is downright stressful

You need to return that set already. How much longer do you have in your return window ?

I'm on my 5th ( soon to be 6th) TV in a month in a half. 2 F7100's, an F6300, a Vizio M, and a Sony W802a. They all had issues. It is becoming obvious to me that it's nearly impossible to find what I consider an acceptable LED Edge Lit TV ( as in no banding, no vignetting, no clouding, no flashlighting, no goddamned pencil lines). So I've just about given up. I'm thinking of going back to a Vizio M, yes it has issues but at $1300 for a "60, issues are more palatable than $1700 for a 55". I'm also considering the $1300 S64 65".

I for sure want my next TV to be my last for at least 5-7 years.
post #2347 of 5357 Old 09-01-2013, 09:57 PM

Liked: 15
Hi,

Had a 65F7100 delivered late last week. So far, we are pretty happy with the set. I had been reading this thread long enough to be concerned about, and aware of, many of the possible issues with edge lit LED panels. eek.gif Despite that, I ordered the tv and it now sits in our family room.

The set isn't perfect, but the picture is awfully good. Blu-ray movies look particularly sharp. I have not seen any dead pixels or banding. We do have some mild flashlighting. It doesn't drive me nuts or anything; I think it often comes with the (screen) territory on large edge lit panels. I would like to try to minimize the flashlighting as much as possible through the settings. I thought I read some tips in this regard somewhere in this thread, but looking over the last ten pages or so I couldn't locate it. I am using settings along the lines of those teqzen and Buzz posted.

Suggestions are appreciated.

David
post #2348 of 5357 Old 09-01-2013, 10:21 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quick question: I plan to buy this TV from Costco and the model number is F7050 instead of F7100. My local Video Only store claims the F7050 is an lower grade panel. True or BS?

Here's what he said:
"Yes, im positive that it is a lower grade television. There was a huge push by the industry the last two years because the costco "club" TV's use different parts in the televisions( That is why the model is lower now)."

Thanks
post #2349 of 5357 Old 09-02-2013, 12:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chappy16775 View Post

Quick question: I plan to buy this TV from Costco and the model number is F7050 instead of F7100. My local Video Only store claims the F7050 is an lower grade panel. True or BS?

Here's what he said:
"Yes, im positive that it is a lower grade television. There was a huge push by the industry the last two years because the costco "club" TV's use different parts in the televisions( That is why the model is lower now)."

Thanks

Complete BS. I've owned a F7100 and a F7050. They're exactly the same. All the same features and Picture Quality. The only difference I saw was the F7100 remote is silver, the F7050 has the same exact remote but it's black. You also get a free Bluetooth keyboard with F7050 and its like $40 cheaper than the F7100.
post #2350 of 5357 Old 09-02-2013, 02:46 PM

Liked: 17
Pics of current (TH02 Panel)--->
[/IMG]Hi y'all ...so just setup my replacement 65f7050 from costco....previous one(which I still have) was an AH01 (sharp panel AFAIK) great picture but very obvious vertical banding....noticeable on sports mostly ...otherwise all good !! This one is a TH02 (sammy panel AFAIK) has more clouding ..
Th02---->>
..NO banding ...hiwever after setting up the clouding is not visible during watching TV /bluray etc. Only time I see it is before TV picks up signal from STB/BLU-Ray etc.

Still thinking bout the lesser evil ....banding vs. clouding/flashlighting ...Anyghing else i could test for/with??
AH01---->>l
post #2351 of 5357 Old 09-02-2013, 03:30 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Firmware 1111 has changed something with AMP. I notice a lot more artifacts *and* more judder/flicker in anime with AMP Custom[10 5 off]; it's worse in all respects. Blah.
post #2352 of 5357 Old 09-02-2013, 05:35 PM

Doesn't seem to be anything wrong with the UN60F710, which, to my knowledge is a Sharp panel. Is there something wrong with the panel? Too many pages to browse through to find out.
post #2353 of 5357 Old 09-02-2013, 05:56 PM

If u like it ....nothing else matters!!! The only difference noted was bezel was tad thicker as per reports frm owners (in comparison to 55 and 65 inchers. ) generally many ppl feel sharp panels are"not as good as sammy" i have both and really cant perceive any major differences to write about!! Both have issues of varying imperfections (there doesnt exist a perfect led/lcd panel) so beauty is in the eye of the beholder!!!!!
post #2354 of 5357 Old 09-02-2013, 06:19 PM

Couple of things... anyone having trouble updating from version 1110 to 1111? I have a wireless connection and first attempt when to about 54% and then stopped on it's own. I will try again later tonight as it does take a long time to get the update going as far as downloading speed is concerned.

On another note my only other complaint are these "soft/thin-horizontal-lines" across the screen only noticeable on white/bright background scenes and on menu screen. Is this known as "banding"? If so or not what is it and can it be fixed? Very much appreciated. Other than these two kinks TV is solid in picture quality.

post #2355 of 5357 Old 09-02-2013, 06:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vam724 View Post

Couple of things... anyone having trouble updating from version 1110 to 1111? I have a wireless connection and first attempt when to about 54% and then stopped on it's own. I will try again later tonight as it does take a long time to get the update going as far as downloading speed is concerned.

On another note my only other complaint are these "soft/thin-horizontal-lines" across the screen only noticeable on white/bright background scenes and on menu screen. Is this known as "banding"? If so or not what is it and can it be fixed? Very much appreciated. Other than these two kinks TV is solid in picture quality.

Banding ...see the last pic in mh previous post...thats an example of banding (dark lines (vertical ) along the otherwise even bkgrnd!! The other. Pics (including the white screen )are the current panel without banding!!Or you can google it ...Good luck!!
Vam724 likes this.
post #2356 of 5357 Old 09-02-2013, 08:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4top455 View Post

If u like it ....nothing else matters!!! The only difference noted was bezel was tad thicker as per reports frm owners (in comparison to 55 and 65 inchers. ) generally many ppl feel sharp panels are"not as good as sammy" i have both and really cant perceive any major differences to write about!! Both have issues of varying imperfections (there doesnt exist a perfect led/lcd panel) so beauty is in the eye of the beholder!!!!!

Thanks. I really haven seen anything ba outside of the flashlighting which are present in all LCD Ive owned. During video play on screen the black is midnight black, and I haven't seen banding yet. I will say there are some obvious software issues, but, nothing yo ruin this for me. After tweaking some suggested settings, I'm pretty happy with my 60" HH01 panel. If something bad happens, there's always the warranty smile.gif
4top455 likes this.
post #2357 of 5357 Old 09-02-2013, 09:00 PM

Calibration settings:
My preference picture settings for the best image reproduction. Settings have been tested for best performance and researched via avsforum.com's (AVS HD 709 Calibration), from videophiles, professionals alike and with Spears and Munsil HD Benchmark Blu-ray (Primary). Try it out.

Mode: Movie

Backlight: 14

Contrast: 80

Brightness: 30 (Blu-ray - On Movie-Mode), 44 (HD-DVD - On Movie-Mode), 44 (TV - TimeWarnerCable - On Standard-Mode)

Sharpness: 6

Color: 49

Tint: G48/R52

ADV settings

Dynamic Contrast: Low

Black Tone: Off

Flesh Tone: 0

Color Space: Custom

Red: R36, G0, B0

Green: R0, G34, B0

Blue: R0, G0, B34

Yellow: R42, G44, B0

Cyan: R0, G33, B56

Magenta: R39, G3, B42

White Balance

R-Off: 27

G-Off: 27

B-Off: 27

R-Gain: 25

G-Gain: 25

B-Gain: 25

Gamma: 0

Motion Lighting: Off

Picture Size: "Screen Fit"

Color Tone: Warm2

Digital Clean View: Off

MPEG Noise Filter: Off

HDMI Black Level: Normal

Film Mode: Off

* Auto Motion Plus: Off

Cinema Black Level: Medium

*AMP Blur Reduction and Judder are set to 0 because setting either one between 1-10 will give you distortion. If you pop in the Spears and Munsil Blu-ray disc and go to the "Jaggies" chart, you'll see that setting 1 or 10 on Blur Reduction will give you a type of pattern distortion on chart. For Judder, I use AVATAR and 2012 as examples. For instance in AVATAR when Sully is Arial hunting just before the "Great Leonopteryx" appears look at his bow and you'll see distortion even if Judder is set at 1. Same goes for the scene in 2012 where Woody Harrelson is up on the mountain just before the volcano blows and the camera is going around Woody, the antenna is distorting. Setting Judder to 0 gives you no distortion. And there you go. smile.gif

Thought I'd share =)
4top455 likes this.

post #2358 of 5357 Old 09-03-2013, 08:32 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vam724 View Post

Calibration settings:
My preference picture settings for the best image reproduction. Settings have been tested for best performance and researched via avsforum.com's (AVS HD 709 Calibration), from videophiles, professionals alike and with Spears and Munsil HD Benchmark Blu-ray (Primary). Try it out.

Mode: Movie

Backlight: 14

Contrast: 80

Brightness: 30 (Blu-ray - On Movie-Mode), 44 (HD-DVD - On Movie-Mode), 44 (TV - TimeWarnerCable - On Standard-Mode)

Sharpness: 6

Color: 49

Tint: G48/R52

ADV settings

Dynamic Contrast: Low

Black Tone: Off

Flesh Tone: 0

Color Space: Custom

Red: R36, G0, B0

Green: R0, G34, B0

Blue: R0, G0, B34

Yellow: R42, G44, B0

Cyan: R0, G33, B56

Magenta: R39, G3, B42

White Balance

R-Off: 27

G-Off: 27

B-Off: 27

R-Gain: 25

G-Gain: 25

B-Gain: 25

Gamma: 0

Motion Lighting: Off

Picture Size: "Screen Fit"

Color Tone: Warm2

Digital Clean View: Off

MPEG Noise Filter: Off

HDMI Black Level: Normal

Film Mode: Off

* Auto Motion Plus: Off

Cinema Black Level: Medium

*AMP Blur Reduction and Judder are set to 0 because setting either one between 1-10 will give you distortion. If you pop in the Spears and Munsil Blu-ray disc and go to the "Jaggies" chart, you'll see that setting 1 or 10 on Blur Reduction will give you a type of pattern distortion on chart. For Judder, I use AVATAR and 2012 as examples. For instance in AVATAR when Sully is Arial hunting just before the "Great Leonopteryx" appears look at his bow and you'll see distortion even if Judder is set at 1. Same goes for the scene in 2012 where Woody Harrelson is up on the mountain just before the volcano blows and the camera is going around Woody, the antenna is distorting. Setting Judder to 0 gives you no distortion. And there you go. smile.gif

Thought I'd share =)
No 10-point white balance?
post #2359 of 5357 Old 09-03-2013, 08:50 AM

I set up the rvu with my DirecTV last night. The tech and I had to work through it together, she had never set one up before. It was fairly simple and I am happy so far. The only problem is accessing my recorded content. I would think the DVR button would do that. Hope a future update will fix this. It's nice I don't even need the mini genie in my living room anymore. I will continue to update my findings.
travelerj likes this.
post #2360 of 5357 Old 09-03-2013, 12:33 PM

I have the 10pt white balance off because honestly don't know about the best/way to go about it. Any suggestions? THX

post #2361 of 5357 Old 09-03-2013, 04:24 PM

Liked: 10
He guys,
So I'm a little late to this party I realize, but looking for some advice. I see that many people are having issues with flashlighting on this set. I am as well. Is there an at-home "fix" for the problem? I bought my set from Amazon and have already tossed the packaging. What are my options here? Thanks in advance and I apologize for posting my question as I'm sure it has been asked a million times prior.
post #2362 of 5357 Old 09-03-2013, 06:10 PM

[IMG]
Quote:
Originally Posted by vegetopia 
He guys,
So I'm a little late to this party I realize, but looking for some advice. I see that many people are having issues with flashlighting on this set. I am as well. Is there an at-home "fix" for the problem? I bought my set from Amazon and have already tossed the packaging. What are my options here? Thanks in advance and I apologize for posting my question as I'm sure it has been asked a million times prior.
Welcome....there's really no Cure ...flashlighting is inherent to the technology...!! Despite claims of fixing it by rubbing the screen or loosening of screws etc. no evidence exists to show that tvey work.Best solution is to just try to 1)lower the backlight 2) use cinema black 3) use ambient/bias lighting 4) watch full screen content .Over time you'll just get used to it .....All said there are different levels of flashlighting .If its too bad you may wanna try another panel if only at night/dark room but not in most settings then its par for course!! Of course many ppl will disagree....this is just my.02 !! Hope it helps
post #2363 of 5357 Old 09-03-2013, 06:58 PM

Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by vegetopia View Post

He guys,

Is the flashlighting conspicuous when watching a program, or only between signals? Reading this thread can lead one to be hyper-critical. When our F7100 is on but is not receiving a signal, the flashlighting looks pretty bad. Start a program, though, and all is well.
post #2364 of 5357 Old 09-03-2013, 07:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by david3772 View Post

Is the flashlighting conspicuous when watching a program, or only between signals? Reading this thread can lead one to be hyper-critical. When our F7100 is on but is not receiving a signal, the flashlighting looks pretty bad. Start a program, though, and all is well.
I'm in the same boat here. No flashlighting when signal is being received for video.
post #2365 of 5357 Old 09-03-2013, 08:10 PM

I'm REALLY befuddled. I have CLAY FACES. Yes, they look like slabs of nothing. I go look at my 3 year old Vizio and I can see pores, nose hairs, blemishes, zits, wrinkles. I've not seen clay faces in ??? 10 years?

In addition to horrible Clay Faces, big squares appearing randomly, 'ants' on edges, etc. I don't see how this can be fixed via simple settings in the basic menu. There is a grain in many scenes over the picture as well. Like a 'film'. Yes 3 times I've looked to see if there's a plastic packing skin on the screen. I'm just stunned how bad this TV looks out of the box.

It's a 65" TH02 Sammy F7050. I'm going to play with the above suggested settings but I can't see how anything is actually going to solve this. Right now I feel I should've gotten the Vizio M series. I had comcast come over for other reasons today and he agreed the picture isn't good and the Vizio was stunning in comparison. I'm lost. frown.gif

~ Lisa ~
post #2366 of 5357 Old 09-03-2013, 08:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by meagain View Post

I'm REALLY befuddled. I have CLAY FACES. Yes, they look like slabs of nothing. I go look at my 3 year old Vizio and I can see pores, nose hairs, blemishes, zits, wrinkles. I've not seen clay faces in ??? 10 years?

In addition to horrible Clay Faces, big squares appearing randomly, 'ants' on edges, etc. I don't see how this can be fixed via simple settings in the basic menu. There is a grain in many scenes over the picture as well. Like a 'film'. Yes 3 times I've looked to see if there's a plastic packing skin on the screen. I'm just stunned how bad this TV looks out of the box.

It's a 65" TH02 Sammy F7050. I'm going to play with the above suggested settings but I can't see how anything is actually going to solve this. Right now I feel I should've gotten the Vizio M series. I had comcast come over for other reasons today and he agreed the picture isn't good and the Vizio was stunning in comparison. I'm lost. frown.gif
Sometimes, panels go bad. Have you true resetting the panel? I'm not sure how its done, but I've read people can do it.
post #2367 of 5357 Old 09-03-2013, 08:32 PM

So is there nobody else using the rvu?
post #2368 of 5357 Old 09-03-2013, 10:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by meagain View Post

Ive noticed the lack of detail in Samsungs also. I had a 55" Vizio M a few weeks back and it does have much better face detail than the Samsungs. I watched an episode of Top Gear on all of my defective sets so far. Watching on the Vizio, I never knew Jeremy Clarksons face was so wrinkly ! It really exposed how old all 3 of the guys are. On the Samsungs ( F6300, F7100, F7050) not so much. They all lacked detail. Clay face is the perfect description.

I also had a Sony W802a which also showed great face detail. That being said, the Vizio and the Sony (especially the Sony) both had pretty brutal flashlighting and bleeding. The F7050 kills both in that respect.

I do have a nasty pencil line on my current F7050 and will exchange it, either for the Panasonic S64 or another Vizio M.
post #2369 of 5357 Old 09-03-2013, 11:08 PM

RexHarrison wink.gif Well if your Vizio showed more detail (wrinkles) in their faces, then surely there had to be more detail elsewhere as well.
If you get another Vizio M, I'd be curious as to how it goes for you.

Aeonix - I've not reset the panel but I'll search on how to do that. I only got it Friday so I question if it would need that.

I guess I'm going to try to find some good reviews comparing the Samsung vs. the Vizio. Else I might consider Plasma for the first time.
I don't need internet gadgets on my TV (already have that on my Comcast X1 and have Apple TV, iPad) and would rather sink my money into a quality display vs. all these accouterments the Samsung offers. I really don't want to play the "return it and try again" game anymore in my life. Not with a 65" TV that I can't move around let alone haul back to costco.

~ Lisa ~
post #2370 of 5357 Old 09-04-2013, 12:21 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
From what I've read the Vizio is not even in the same class as this Samsung. Why all this talk of preferring the Vizio M over the Samsung? My head is now spinning!
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Samsung Un60f7100 60 Inch 3d Ultra Slim Smart Led Hdtv , Samsung Un46f8000 46 Inch 3d Ultra Slim Smart Led Hdtv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page