Official Samsung UNXXF7100 Owners Thread - Page 85 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #2521 of 5222 Old 09-21-2013, 02:34 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Anyone have a suggestion for white balance settings for standard mode?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2522 of 5222 Old 09-21-2013, 06:43 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by chappy16775 View Post

Can someone please confirm the HDMI ARC on the F7100 passes digital 5.1? In other words is it a pure passthrough?

thanks
Yes, HDMI ARC definitely passes through the Dolby Digital 5.1, but only if the program is so recorded. For example, many Netflix Super HD movies have 5.1 as does Amazon Instant Video. Sadly, for much programming that was originally broadcast, the 5.1 has not been preserved for on-demand. Hence ,we are often likely to hear either Dolby Digital 2.1 or PCM. There have been several posters stating that there is no 5.1 from ARC. Perhaps they just didn't get around to watching 5.1 encoded material. To confirm what I say please watch "The King's Speech" on Netflix Super HD or the "Firefly" series on Amazon Instant Video.
post #2523 of 5222 Old 09-22-2013, 05:46 AM

Liked: 10
I don't mean to cross-post... apparently there are 2 official f7100 threads.

If anyone else has ever experienced this, please give me a "me too" feel good message!

Suddenly my TV has been randomly dimming to a very low light level and flickering the brightness. It happens infrequently, never while watching something, and mostly when going from 1 screen to another (e.g. From live directv to the now playing list, or from apple tv menu to netflix, or even from in netflix to a show selection). It has also happened switching to another device. If I do anything to the samsung TV itself like bring up the menu or turn the tv on/off will fix the issue.

Given I can correct the issue by simply pulling up the menu, it seems like a bug to me - as if the samsung is getting confused on the signal it gets. I will admit my hdmi cable to the tv is pretty shady (old as dirt and stretched to the max) but as I mention, this is an infrequent occurrence.

Thank you!
post #2524 of 5222 Old 09-22-2013, 12:33 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruno_Sardine View Post

If anyone else has ever experienced this, please give me a "me too" feel good message!

Suddenly my TV has been randomly dimming to a very low light level and flickering the brightness. It happens infrequently, never while watching something, and mostly when going from 1 screen to another (e.g. From live directv to the now playing list, or from apple tv menu to netflix, or even from in netflix to a show selection). It has also happened switching to another device. If I do anything to the samsung TV itself like bring up the menu or turn the tv on/off will fix the issue.

Given I can correct the issue by simply pulling up the menu, it seems like a bug to me - as if the samsung is getting confused on the signal it gets. I will admit my hdmi cable to the tv is pretty shady (old as dirt and stretched to the max) but as I mention, this is an infrequent occurrence.

Thank you!
I have seen this issue but only while watching netflix on xbox. I started watching netflix on ps3 and do not see it. Not sure why but it was only while using netflix.
post #2525 of 5222 Old 09-22-2013, 01:12 PM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wirth05 View Post

I do too man. It's a really weird issue, and nothing seems to fix it. I notice primarily on xbox with black ops 2. I even tried pc mode. Football and sports look fine with no blue. It's only really dark colors that have a trail with motion. It's not always blue it depends on which dark color the object is ie black, brown etc... I'll let you know how the replacement panel works out. It's a 65" ah01.
Thanks again.

Dark ladder standing still (Xbox 360 Black ops 2)

Ladder while strafing to the left

Banding (Same pic the repair guy saw)

I apologize for the terrible quality of pictures. My old iphone isn't what it use to be.

I just read on another site that a new T-Con board comes with new samsung panels and that they aren't sold separately. Is this true? If so this is definitely good news for me as I am confident that the new t-con board will fix the ghosting issue as it definitely seems to be a pixel timing issue, which is controlled by that board.
post #2526 of 5222 Old 09-22-2013, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruno_Sardine View Post

Thank you!

Do you have "Eco sensor" on by any chance? If so see if turning it off solves the issue. Also try seeing if it does this while in movie mode, as movie mode disables micro dimming.
post #2527 of 5222 Old 09-22-2013, 03:50 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wirth05 View Post

I just read on another site that a new T-Con board comes with new samsung panels and that they aren't sold separately. Is this true? If so this is definitely good news for me as I am confident that the new t-con board will fix the ghosting issue as it definitely seems to be a pixel timing issue, which is controlled by that board.
That is True. At least is was when a panel replacement was brought to my apartment.
post #2528 of 5222 Old 09-22-2013, 05:50 PM

F7100 and PS3

I am very happy with my 55 inch F7100 TV. I have it set up with the Dish TV Hopper, BD-5900 Blu-ray Player, and PS3 all connected via HDMI. I also have the Samsung F-450 Soundbar, setup wirelessly using Soundshare.

Everything is working great, but I have one issue. I am trying to make things simple for all of my family and friends who will use this setup.

If everything is powered off, the TV will detect either the Cable or Blu-ray Player if either one is turned on.

Is there anyway to have it automatically detect the PS3 if that is the only device on? It's easy enough for me to change the input source to HDMI 3, but this seems to be challenging for some wink.gif. I have a Sony Bravia TV that will automatically detect the PS3, so wondering if this is just a Samsung / Sony issue - maybe having to do with the PS3 not being an Anynet + device?

Thanks for your help.

( apologies if this is a silly question. I have searched, but admittedly did not read all 84 pages of this thread)
post #2529 of 5222 Old 09-22-2013, 11:40 PM

Liked: 11
For those concerned about clouding. Would like to share that since my last post 10 days ago, the clouding on my UN75F7100 has decreased significantly. After not really paying attention since my last post., I would say it has gone from moderate to very minor clouding. And it (hopefully) may improve even more. TV was delivered 7/28, so it took a little time. Although i was generally happy with my purchase, the clouding on pitch black/ almost pitch black scenes in Movie mode was still bothering me. I can now say I'm very happy with the PQ of this TV. So, if your real concern is that of clouding, just be aware it may just need a moderate break in period.
post #2530 of 5222 Old 09-23-2013, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisSD View Post

For those concerned about clouding. Would like to share that since my last post 10 days ago, the clouding on my UN75F7100 has decreased significantly. After not really paying attention since my last post., I would say it has gone from moderate to very minor clouding. And it (hopefully) may improve even more. TV was delivered 7/28, so it took a little time. Although i was generally happy with my purchase, the clouding on pitch black/ almost pitch black scenes in Movie mode was still bothering me. I can now say I'm very happy with the PQ of this TV. So, if your real concern is that of clouding, just be aware it may just need a moderate break in period.

Good to know. I ended up setting backlight to 6 in the evening which eliminates most of it for 99% of viewing.
post #2531 of 5222 Old 09-23-2013, 01:31 PM

Hello everyone! I am a first time poster on this forum and just bought my 65 inch F7100 about a month ago. LOVE this tv so far except for one major flaw I have noticed and need some help.

Mostly when watching the AMC and Showtime channels and the like, and in darker scenes I notice "flickering" almost like there is candle lighting in the room. This is the best way I can describe the issue. Sometimes its not noticeable and other times like last night when watching Breaking Bad and Dexter it was very noticeable and irritating. I'm praying this isn't an issue I just have to deal with, and I'm also hoping I don't have to deal with Samsung and their 1 year warranty and argue with them to get a new set.

Anybody know what this light flickering issue is called? And how can I fix it? Thanks in advance for all your help and I look forward to posting on here in the future.
post #2532 of 5222 Old 09-24-2013, 08:21 AM

I have a couple of questions.

1. With the eco settings off, I still have the image dim when it is showing mostly dark things, this bothers me. I don't really mind the effect if I cannot see it, but since its so obvious here, I'm not a fan.

2. It recognizes the channels and what is on them with my dish service, but I am unable to change the channel with the smart hub or the remote. This isn't a huge deal, but it would be really nice, I like the guide and format better on the TV, and also the one touch "check whats on all your favorite channels" deal.

All in all, I am pretty darn happy with my TV (60" f7100) is there any word out on when the 4k evolution kit will be available? I couldn't really see the point in getting the one that makes this tv an 8000 series, but 4k would be pretty sweet, though I will likely wait until there is some more programming available for it even if its just movies.

Edit: Just thought I'd add, where I bought this tv they had it side by side in a separate little stand with the f8000, and I think they messed up, because this one looked better. Aside from the price and the samsung rep telling me what the differences were there didn't seem to be much incentive to get the 8000 series.
post #2533 of 5222 Old 09-24-2013, 10:31 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Squat - try movie mode, which disables that micro dimming

Stuck up, half witted, scruffy looking, nerf herder.
Double True!
post #2534 of 5222 Old 09-24-2013, 10:41 AM

So anybody have any ideas of what my problem may be?
post #2535 of 5222 Old 09-24-2013, 11:24 AM

Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidzawick View Post

So anybody have any ideas of what my problem may be?

Did you try disabling the eco sensor which is set to on when in standard pic mode, on movie it is disabled.
post #2536 of 5222 Old 09-24-2013, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by squat251 View Post

...All in all, I am pretty darn happy with my TV (60" f7100) is there any word out on when the 4k evolution kit will be available? I couldn't really see the point in getting the one that makes this tv an 8000 series, but 4k would be pretty sweet, though I will likely wait until there is some more programming available for it even if its just movies.

Edit: Just thought I'd add, where I bought this tv they had it side by side in a separate little stand with the f8000, and I think they messed up, because this one looked better. Aside from the price and the samsung rep telling me what the differences were there didn't seem to be much incentive to get the 8000 series.

Welcome to AVS Forum and congratulations on your first post. Sadly, the Evolution Kit will not be available at all for the F7100 series. The minimum TV required is the F7450 series. Here is a list of the Evolution Kit compatible TV's.

UN85S9AFXZA
PN51F8500AFXZA
PN60F8500AFXZA
PN64F8500AFXZA
UN46F8000BFXZA
UN55F8000BFXZA
UN60F8000BFXZA
UN65F8000BFXZA

UN75F8000BFXZA
UN46F7500AFXZA
UN55F7500AFXZA
UN60F7500AFXZA
UN46F7450AFXZA
UN55F7450AFXZA
UN60F7450AFXZA

Source: http://www.samsung.com/us/2013-smart-evolution/#evo-compatible
post #2537 of 5222 Old 09-24-2013, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angelp1977 View Post

Did you try disabling the eco sensor which is set to on when in standard pic mode, on movie it is disabled.

Yes I tried switching to movie mode and had the exact same issues! frown.gif
post #2538 of 5222 Old 09-24-2013, 02:06 PM

Liked: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidzawick View Post

Hello everyone! I am a first time poster on this forum and just bought my 65 inch F7100 about a month ago. LOVE this tv so far except for one major flaw I have noticed and need some help.

Mostly when watching the AMC and Showtime channels and the like, and in darker scenes I notice "flickering" almost like there is candle lighting in the room. This is the best way I can describe the issue. Sometimes its not noticeable and other times like last night when watching Breaking Bad and Dexter it was very noticeable and irritating. I'm praying this isn't an issue I just have to deal with, and I'm also hoping I don't have to deal with Samsung and their 1 year warranty and argue with them to get a new set.

Anybody know what this light flickering issue is called? And how can I fix it? Thanks in advance for all your help and I look forward to posting on here in the future.
What picture mode are you using? The flickering might occur in Standard, Dynamic or Natural but try using Movie mode. This is the only mode where the dimming feature is turned Off ALWAYS. This mode is the best for accurate calibration on the TV and most are using it. I always liked Standard Mode but this model (at least for my TV) has a very near perfect gray scale calibration in Movie Mode right out of the box (with the last few firmware releases installed). Most set their Color Tone to Warm 2 in Movie Mode but I prefer Standard Color Tone to keep the whites from having a yellowish tinge. This is really personel prefrence for me but I think the actual calibration setting is Warm 2. I forgot which name is used fot the dimming feature that I beleive you have described as flicker but I hope this will help you out anyways.
post #2539 of 5222 Old 09-24-2013, 04:12 PM

Well, that is a major bummer, since that was the main reason we bought this tv.
post #2540 of 5222 Old 09-25-2013, 02:23 AM

Liked: 14
Quote:
All in all, I am pretty darn happy with my TV (60" f7100) is there any word out on when the 4k evolution kit will be available? I couldn't really see the point in getting the one that makes this tv an 8000 series, but 4k would be pretty sweet, though I will likely wait until there is some more programming available for it even if its just movies.
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by squat251

...All in all, I am pretty darn happy with my TV (60" f7100) is there any word out on when the 4k evolution kit will be available? I couldn't really see the point in getting the one that makes this tv an 8000 series, but 4k would be pretty sweet, though I will likely wait until there is some more programming available for it even if its just movies.

Welcome to AVS Forum and congratulations on your first post. Sadly, the Evolution Kit will not be available at all for the F7100 series. The minimum TV required is the F7450 series. Here is a list of the Evolution Kit compatible TV's.

Also, the evolution kit will not turn Any TV into a 4K TV.
post #2541 of 5222 Old 09-25-2013, 04:39 AM

Try disabling cinema black.
post #2542 of 5222 Old 09-25-2013, 05:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GPtimes2 View Post

Also, the evolution kit will not turn Any TV into a 4K TV.

I was told that later this year a new evolution kit was coming out to do just that. They even had a demo for it, you have to buy the box and an adapter box for the HDMI 2.0 I saw both boxes while shopping for my new TV. Though the samsung rep was apparently wrong about MY TV so who really knows what these damn boxes do.
post #2543 of 5222 Old 09-25-2013, 07:43 AM

Quote:

I was told that later this year a new evolution kit was coming out to do just that. They even had a demo for it, you have to buy the box and an adapter box for the HDMI 2.0 I saw both boxes while shopping for my new TV. Though the samsung rep was apparently wrong about MY TV so who really knows what these damn boxes do.

You first need to know what 4k is before you can understand why that would be impossible without a panel upgrade.
post #2544 of 5222 Old 09-25-2013, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by congster View Post

You first need to know what 4k is before you can understand why that would be impossible without a panel upgrade.
That's true. You can't increase the pixel count in an already existing panel. But, who knows what kind of sleight of hand engineers might come up with, such as manipulating the sub-pixels. In general, I agree with you. When I bought my TV it never occurred to me that someday I would be able to upgrade it to 4K. Yet, I fell for the promotion about the Evolution Kit, only to find out after the fact, like Squat251, that it wasn't available for our TVs. This is not a major disappointment since I am pretty pleased with the set as it is and Samsung continues to offer firmware updates.
post #2545 of 5222 Old 09-25-2013, 01:29 PM

Is it not possible that the upgradeable TVs have a 4k panel but not the supporting hardware and that's what keeps cost down also facilitating the need for an evolution kit? If the brain can only output 1080 that's all we would get without a new brain. I thought it was fishy that somehow I would get a 4k out of a little box.
post #2546 of 5222 Old 09-25-2013, 02:29 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 111
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgh26 View Post

The flickering might occur in Standard, Dynamic or Natural but try using Movie mode. This is the only mode where the dimming feature is turned Off ALWAYS. This mode is the best for accurate calibration on the TV and most are using it. I always liked Standard Mode but this model (at least for my TV) has a very near perfect gray scale calibration in Movie Mode right out of the box (with the last few firmware releases installed). Most set their Color Tone to Warm 2 in Movie Mode but I prefer Standard Color Tone to keep the whites from having a yellowish tinge. This is really personel prefrence for me but I think the actual calibration setting is Warm 2. I forgot which name is used fot the dimming feature that I beleive you have described as flicker but I hope this will help you out anyways.

Its Micro-Dimming.

+1 on the Movie Mode grayscale.....I'm sticking with fw. ver. 1111 -

unless something unexpected happens.

The Current Picture is breath-taking, from an excellent source.
post #2547 of 5222 Old 09-25-2013, 03:52 PM

Liked: 14
Quote:
Is it not possible that the upgradeable TVs have a 4k panel but not the supporting hardware and that's what keeps cost down also facilitating the need for an evolution kit? If the brain can only output 1080 that's all we would get without a new brain. I thought it was fishy that somehow I would get a 4k out of a little box.

A 4K panel (3840x2160 pixels) that only showed 1080 (1920x1080 pixels) would have 3/4 of its pixels turned off. It would be a very bad image (unsaleable). If all the pixels were lit than it would technicaly be showing a 4K picture (even if it was a conversion), and be sold as such. There won't be any 4K panels without the brain to run them. Unless the rep that told you that was trying to say there might be an evolution kit (someday) that would downconvert 4K video (in the future) to play on the current 1080 (native resolution) panels, than I would say he didn't know what he was talking about. That wouldn't surprise me. Maybe one out of ten are compitent in many fields. Look at auto mechanics, HVAC techs, painters, drywallers, black top companies, travel agents, Best buy salesmen, etc... I've delt with all of these that were way under par to be in their positions (for whatever reason).

On edit- there is talk of an evolution kit that will upgrade the current HDMI standard to HDMI 2.0 in the future that will help the current 4K panels.
post #2548 of 5222 Old 09-26-2013, 01:53 AM

Liked: 24
Quote:

I have a couple of questions.

1. With the eco settings off, I still have the image dim when it is showing mostly dark things, this bothers me. I don't really mind the effect if I cannot see it, but since its so obvious here, I'm not a fan.

2. It recognizes the channels and what is on them with my dish service, but I am unable to change the channel with the smart hub or the remote. This isn't a huge deal, but it would be really nice, I like the guide and format better on the TV, and also the one touch "check whats on all your favorite channels" deal.

Yea, I'm still waiting for the evolution kit to turn my 1994 Geo Metro into a Bugatti Veyron. The damn salesman said, with a simple tune up they could turn my 3 cylinder into a quad turbo W16. I don't know why, but I still believe him.

But seriously, you can play HD content on a 480i CRT TV. So you will be able to play 4K content on your 1080p TV. It will in no way be a 4K TV though, just like that 20 year old CRT isn't an HDTV just because it's playing an HD channel. The pixels aren't there. The extra 6 million pixels that are needed aren't lying dormant waiting for some evolution kit to awaken them. A 55" 4K TV costs nearly $4,000 more than a 55" F7100. Did you really think the "brain" as you call it, was the reason for the $4,000 price diff ? And somehow that "brain" was going to be $200-$400 in the near future ? 

I mean no disrespect, just trying to figure out the thought process behind this.

post #2549 of 5222 Old 09-26-2013, 07:34 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by emileg View Post

Yes, HDMI ARC definitely passes through the Dolby Digital 5.1, but only if the program is so recorded. For example, many Netflix Super HD movies have 5.1 as does Amazon Instant Video. Sadly, for much programming that was originally broadcast, the 5.1 has not been preserved for on-demand. Hence ,we are often likely to hear either Dolby Digital 2.1 or PCM. There have been several posters stating that there is no 5.1 from ARC. Perhaps they just didn't get around to watching 5.1 encoded material. To confirm what I say please watch "The King's Speech" on Netflix Super HD or the "Firefly" series on Amazon Instant Video.

How have folks addressed any audio sync issues when using ARC?

I had my TV setup for awhile with my cable box going straight to the TV the used ARC to return audio to the receiver. I could never get the audio to stay in sync. I tired tweaking the digital delay, but I could never seem to get it quite right.

I have a Onkyo NR-818 receiver. Is there some tricks for this?

-SiGGy
post #2550 of 5222 Old 09-26-2013, 07:39 AM

Quote:

This is highly unlikely simply because it is usually the poor panel yield that drives up prices of such TVs. You wouldn't expect them to give you a 4K panel at a cheap price.

EDIT: this quote from a separate thread would shed some light as to what the Evo Kit could possibly do in respect of 4K future proofing:
Quote:
Originally Posted by sytech View Post

These do look like the first serious attempt at bringing a future proof 4K display. Samsung 4K sets are the only ones easily upgradeable to HDMI 2.0 for 4K@60hz or higher, with their "EVO" kits. Samsungs are the only 4K with FALD (Full Array Local Dimming) with 864 "blocks" on the 65" for Precision Black Local Dimming. Most other 4K sets are crippled to 4K@30hz and only offer edge-lit local dimming that causes banding and uniformity problems. The 65" looks like it will street around $7500.
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Samsung Un60f7100 60 Inch 3d Ultra Slim Smart Led Hdtv , Samsung Un46f8000 46 Inch 3d Ultra Slim Smart Led Hdtv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page