The Sony KDL-42W800A/47W802A/55W802A Vs. KDL-32R400A/40R450A/46R453A Thread - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 05-02-2013, 02:08 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 25
The KDL-##W80#A is a 3D display which uses edge LED backlighting with frame dimming and has small speakers. From what I understand, even though the new KDL-46R453A is not a 3D display, doesn't it use direct LED backlighting and have slightly bigger speakers? So if you don't need 3D, would you be better off with the KDL-##R4##A?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 05-03-2013, 04:46 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Another question:

Will a good direct-LED backlit 1080p non-3D display cost less than a mediocre, edge-LED backlit 1080p 3D model of the same size?

I don't have any 3D Blu-ray discs. So unless I'm going to get a better non-3D experience with the KDL-47W802A, I can't see spending an additional $700 or more on 3D which I don't think I'll have an immediate need for. Maybe I'll get a 3D display as soon as OLED goes mainstream, and use whatever display I get now as a future computer monitor.
post #3 of 7 Old 05-09-2013, 10:11 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Update:

I read a convincing review at Amazon saying that the blacks on the KDL-##W802A aren't as deep as on the Panasonic TC-P##S60. Because of the KDL-##R4##A's direct LED backlighting, I'd like to know how deep its blacks are compared to the KDL-##W802A. I know you're about to say to drive around and check them out, but I'm disabled and can't get out on a regular basis. Even if I could, I understand the stores have them configured in a way which doesn't always demonstrate their full potencial. So that's why I come to AVS. All of the other audio/video forums I used to hang out at constantly refer to AVS for more suffisticated advice.
post #4 of 7 Old 05-09-2013, 12:01 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big C View Post

Update:

I read a convincing review at Amazon saying that the blacks on the KDL-##W802A aren't as deep as on the Panasonic TC-P##S60. Because of the KDL-##R4##A's direct LED backlighting, I'd like to know how deep its blacks are compared to the KDL-##W802A. I know you're about to say to drive around and check them out, but I'm disabled and can't get out on a regular basis. Even if I could, I understand the stores have them configured in a way which doesn't always demonstrate their full potencial. So that's why I come to AVS. All of the other audio/video forums I used to hang out at constantly refer to AVS for more suffisticated advice.

Hey everyone,

Just had a 550A delivered to my house and I have blobs of white on the screen. Not clouding or backlight bleed just really weird circles of brightness. I have a picture if anyone was interested. Anyway I ran to the store and setup an exchange for the same model. Came home and for some reason i checked the stores website and there it was the W802A. Read a little about it, found out it was in stock, and ran back to the store and setup an exchange to receive it on Saturday. Cost me another $280 but at this point I want a quality TV. After my ES8000 needed a panel replacement in 5 weeks, to the cheaply made 550A, I am hoping this is the one! My wife hopes so for my sanity.

From what I read it sounds awesome and I cant wait now I hope it gets delivered in 1 piece.
post #5 of 7 Old 05-27-2013, 07:40 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I made another online discovery today. 40-inch, 46-inch, and larger panels, such as the KDL-##R4##A series, are VA panels. VA panels provide great contrast and better viewing angles than TN panels. 42-inch (the non-US model), 47-inch, and larger panels, such as on the KDL-##W80#A series are IPS panels, which supposedly don't have as good contrast as VA panels, but the best viewing angles. I say supposedly because when I checked both series out in the stores, I was equally impressed with their black levels. The one thing I didn't do was check how they look from a distance, non-centered with the screen. I just thought you guys might be interested in this.
post #6 of 7 Old 05-27-2013, 10:34 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I decided to remove my poll because it is possible that the series with the better LCD panel type might not have as good of a backlight type, while the series with the better backlight type might not have as good of an LCD panel type. So some time soon, I am going to go to a store and check these out a third time,, getting both series to look their clearest, brightest, and best.
post #7 of 7 Old 10-19-2013, 08:01 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
May I know what's the best picture settings for the w800a to get crystal clear picture?
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Sony Bravia Kdl 47w802a 47 Class Full Hd 3d Led Lcd Internet Tv , Sony Bravia Kdl 47w802a 47 Inch Class Full Hd 3d Led Lcd Internet Tv
Gear in this thread

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page