Forum Jump: 

post #271 of 362 Old 01-05-2014, 01:25 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by gjlopez1231 View Post

After reading some of these posts, I'm starting to have some doubts regarding this tv.  I ordered the 55ga7900 for $980 brand new from Buydig which is scheduled to arrive this Monday or Tuesday, I can refuse delivery and get a full refund, otherwise if I regret it later I'll have to pay return shipping which I have no idea what the cost would be.

I only plan to use this tv for gaming on my xbox one, watching blu rays, and some 3d movies.  The interface looks cool, but I doubt I"ll use it much.  I viewed the 60ga7900 and 55la7400 at bestbuy, really liked the remote on the google tv and couldn't really tell a difference in pq between these and the samsung 7100, which would have been my next choice.  I guess what I'm asking is if there is anything better than this tv for about the same price range?  I seriously looked around for a month and for the price I just can't find anything better, so I pulled the trigger on this.

PS:  wish there was more communication on this tv here, I"ve read this thread twice, maybe I'll go through it again, lol.  There are just no good in-depth reviews out there, just a couple that sum up the spec sheet.

I love the TV. I wouldn't trade it for a LA7400 even if u paid me $100 in the deal. The remote and voice search integrated with YouTube and the browser are great. This TV offers a LOT of functionality. I just figured out I could Bluetooth videos straight from my phone, and the ability to download hundreds of different apps off the App Store is great. Trust me, the TV is a great buy especially for the price you paid.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #272 of 362 Old 01-05-2014, 01:31 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10

Thank you very much for your reply, makes me feel better about keeping it, which I think I will do.

Yeah, that's another reason why i want this, I have some credit on google play that I need to use and plan to get an android phone sometime this week.  Also, I never really found a good answer gaming wise, do you have anything to say in that regard?  I play a decent amount of fps, hope I don't have any issues.  

post #273 of 362 Old 01-05-2014, 05:37 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:

I only plan to use this tv for gaming on my xbox one, watching blu rays, and some 3d movies.  The interface looks cool, but I doubt I"ll use it much.  I viewed the 60ga7900 and 55la7400 at bestbuy, really liked the remote on the google tv and couldn't really tell a difference in pq between these and the samsung 7100, which would have been my next choice.

Prolly just a typo but their is no 60" Google TV. No 60GA7900. I believe the Google TV is a hard or slow seller so the price is discounted so much. I got suckered with a low $999 price also. The Android OS on a TV is just too limited IMHO. When I purchased it I thought Google TV options were in addition to regular Smart TV options and apps.

Click For My Website -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #274 of 362 Old 01-05-2014, 08:56 PM

My settings:

Energy Savings: OFF

Picture Mode : Expert 1

Backlight: 60

Contrast: 80

Brightness: 58

H Sharpness: 20

V Sharpness: 20

Color: 60

Tint: 0

Under Expert Control I have the following settings:

Dynamic Contrast :Off

Super Resolution: Low

Color Gamut: Standard

Edge Enhancer: Off

Color Filter: Off

Gama: 2.2

Under Picture option I have the following settings:

Noise Reduction: low

Mpeg Noise Reduction: Low

Black Level: Low

Real Cinema: Off

Motion Eye Care: Off

LED Local Dimming: Off

TruMotion: Off

I think these settings provide a pretty natural look and nothing to extreme. 

post #275 of 362 Old 01-05-2014, 08:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by E55 KEV View Post

Prolly just a typo but their is no 60" Google TV. No 60GA7900. I believe the Google TV is a hard or slow seller so the price is discounted so much. I got suckered with a low $999 price also. The Android OS on a TV is just too limited IMHO. When I purchased it I thought Google TV options were in addition to regular Smart TV options and apps.

Android OS limited? It gives you more freedom and available software then anything available on any other TV. The GA7900 Offers a TON of features and software.

post #276 of 362 Old 01-06-2014, 04:52 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mercennarius View Post

Android OS limited? It gives you more freedom and available software then anything available on any other TV. The GA7900 Offers a TON of features and software.

Yo Bro just give it up! Obviously you don't read the posts about the problems and limitations of the Google TV. You love your Google TV and that's ok but this thread is about posting the truth and reality of the TV and not being just a Fan Boy.

It has been posted that the JB update removed Flash, Timer On/Off function, etc. Go back to post # 269 and review all the Connection limitations of the GA7900. It has no DLNA, etc. It's great you love your Google TV - I just regret my purchase after I purchased a lower priced "regular TV" , as you called it. The LA7400 is better as a Smart TV and all your post about it not being is moot.

Hell Bro, you can't even get a LG TV Remote app for your phone to work the GA7900 from the Play Store.

Click For My Website -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #277 of 362 Old 01-06-2014, 10:31 AM

It should also be noted that the LA7400 does not pass dolby 5.1 or DTS through its optical port, the GA7900 does. Important for those connecting there TVs to a surround sound setup like myself.
post #278 of 362 Old 01-06-2014, 01:25 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

It should also be noted that the LA7400 does not pass dolby 5.1 or DTS through its optical port, the GA7900 does. Important for those connecting there TVs to a surround sound setup like myself.

Not true. My LA7400 sends Dolby Digital 5.1 via Optical from my OTA Antenna source. OTA Antenna from ATSC or Cable from QAM (if not using a cable box) is probably the only reason to use Optical to a Surround System. It would not be wise to connect a Blu-ray or PS3 or STB etc. to a TV's HDMI and then output to Surround System via Optical. That's defeating the purpose of buying an HDMI AV Receiver.

Click For My Website -

post #279 of 362 Old 01-06-2014, 03:10 PM

Liked: 11
Hey, this is a good tv and I'm enjoying every bit of it but it's not a great gaming tv. It is, however, a great tv for watching hdtv, bluray, etc. When gaming, there is a gaming mode that's kinda tricky to initiate but it works in eliminating the tv lag but the picture suffers. The picture is ok but is not nearly as awesome when watching in Eco, Vivid, or even Custom mode. Example: When hooked up to my Xbox 360 I was blown away by how awesome an old game like Gears of War 3 looks. The detail shown is astounding when viewed in Eco, Vivid, or Custom mode (which I've changed for optimum bluray viewing) but amount of tv input lag is super terrible. But when the picture mode is switched to gaming and the A/V mode is switched to gaming (both have to be changed in order to work properly FYI) the tv input lag is eliminated but the picture then is dulled down and looks like any other tv. The same goes when hooked up to my PS3 and Xbox One. Games like Ryse on Xbox One look spectacular and I play it in Eco mode anyway despite the tv input lag because it's a game where exact timing isn't needed like in online multiplayer shooting games. NBA2K14 looks super awesome but again I play it with the lag cause it looks sooooooo pretty. I'm hoping that the new 4.4 Kit Kat Google update that's coming in the next few weeks will help but until then just understand that this tv isn't great for gaming. But keep in mind that for tv and movie watching it is a phenomenal television.
post #280 of 362 Old 01-06-2014, 03:36 PM

Sounds depressing, doubt any lag upgrades will come with an os update, but who knows.  Is there any site out there that lists the lag of this tv in both in and out of game mode? 

post #281 of 362 Old 01-06-2014, 04:44 PM

Have an Xbox One hooked up to mine and I don't notice any lag what so ever....I never use game mode just custom settings on expert mode.
post #282 of 362 Old 01-06-2014, 04:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by E55 KEV View Post

Not true. My LA7400 sends Dolby Digital 5.1 via Optical from my OTA Antenna source. OTA Antenna from ATSC or Cable from QAM (if not using a cable box) is probably the only reason to use Optical to a Surround System. It would not be wise to connect a Blu-ray or PS3 or STB etc. to a TV's HDMI and then output to Surround System via Optical. That's defeating the purpose of buying an HDMI AV Receiver.
The Vizio 5.1 surround setup I have only accepts optical. Since the TV outputs DTS and Dolby 5.1 to the surround it wouldn't make any audible difference switching to HDMI even if I could. The surround still has true surround going into and out of it. Also the LA is listed as not being capable of outputting either DD or DTS through its optical....just because your rear speakers are outputting sound doesn't mean it's true DD or DTS.
post #283 of 362 Old 01-06-2014, 05:51 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

The Vizio 5.1 surround setup I have only accepts optical. Since the TV outputs DTS and Dolby 5.1 to the surround it wouldn't make any audible difference switching to HDMI even if I could. The surround still has true surround going into and out of it. Also the LA is listed as not being capable of outputting either DD or DTS through its optical....just because your rear speakers are outputting sound doesn't mean it's true DD or DTS.

I never said anything about sound from my speakers? confused.gif However, all my receiver(s) picks up and decodes 5.1 via Optical for my OTA source.. Again I said OTA, OTA OTA!. OTA is sent with 5.1 via Optical from my 55LA7400. One more time - OTA is sent with 5.1 via Optical from my 55LA7400. HDMI does not need to work backwards because the LA7400 has Audio Return Channel. ARC eliminates the need for backwards use of an Optical output to a HDMI receiver. So, therefore - Not having ARC is another limitation of the Google TV.

Click For My Website -

post #284 of 362 Old 01-06-2014, 06:56 PM

i see that you have yours mounted.  I'm looking for a stand, as I just purchased the display model from Best Buy and they didn't have the stand.

post #285 of 362 Old 01-07-2014, 09:09 AM

Quote:

Sounds depressing, doubt any lag upgrades will come with an os update, but who knows.  Is there any site out there that lists the lag of this tv in both in and out of game mode? 

Actually I did find a website that talked about the input lag of various hdtv's. It was actually pretty interesting reading. I'll see if I can find it and I'll post it on here.
post #286 of 362 Old 01-07-2014, 09:12 AM

Here's a link I found. It's not the same one I read a few weeks back but it's pretty interesting: http://www.displaylag.com/the-best-hdtvs-for-gaming-in-2013-part-2/
post #287 of 362 Old 01-07-2014, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NahsiK View Post

Actually I did find a website that talked about the input lag of various hdtv's. It was actually pretty interesting reading. I'll see if I can find it and I'll post it on here.

Here's another posting. This might be the one I read?: http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-33199_7-57589240-221/best-low-lag-hdtvs-for-serious-gamers/
post #288 of 362 Old 01-08-2014, 03:22 PM

Quote:

Hey, this is a good tv and I'm enjoying every bit of it but it's not a great gaming tv. It is, however, a great tv for watching hdtv, bluray, etc. When gaming, there is a gaming mode that's kinda tricky to initiate but it works in eliminating the tv lag but the picture suffers. The picture is ok but is not nearly as awesome when watching in Eco, Vivid, or even Custom mode. Example: When hooked up to my Xbox 360 I was blown away by how awesome an old game like Gears of War 3 looks. The detail shown is astounding when viewed in Eco, Vivid, or Custom mode (which I've changed for optimum bluray viewing) but amount of tv input lag is super terrible. But when the picture mode is switched to gaming and the A/V mode is switched to gaming (both have to be changed in order to work properly FYI) the tv input lag is eliminated but the picture then is dulled down and looks like any other tv. The same goes when hooked up to my PS3 and Xbox One. Games like Ryse on Xbox One look spectacular and I play it in Eco mode anyway despite the tv input lag because it's a game where exact timing isn't needed like in online multiplayer shooting games. NBA2K14 looks super awesome but again I play it with the lag cause it looks sooooooo pretty. I'm hoping that the new 4.4 Kit Kat Google update that's coming in the next few weeks will help but until then just understand that this tv isn't great for gaming. But keep in mind that for tv and movie watching it is a phenomenal television.

I have had no lag issues gaming with this TV, and I game A LOT. Back on page 2 of this thread I posted a video showing lag on the Wii U, but that turns out to only be a disparity between the Wii U's tablet screen (which has virtually no latency) and what goes to the TV. For the PS3, Xbox360 and whatever else I've hooked up to it, I've had no problems at all. Not even with Guitar Hero or Rockband games. I don't ever use game mode, only the expert settings. Just be sure you have Tru Motion and other detrimental processing turned off.

Still super annoyed with the removal of the Flash player, though. I haven't used the Google TV features of this set since it auto-updated the OS. If anybody finds a workaround, I'd love to hear it.
post #289 of 362 Old 01-09-2014, 08:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Sid View Post

I have had no lag issues gaming with this TV, and I game A LOT. Back on page 2 of this thread I posted a video showing lag on the Wii U, but that turns out to only be a disparity between the Wii U's tablet screen (which has virtually no latency) and what goes to the TV. For the PS3, Xbox360 and whatever else I've hooked up to it, I've had no problems at all. Not even with Guitar Hero or Rockband games. I don't ever use game mode, only the expert settings. Just be sure you have Tru Motion and other detrimental processing turned off.

Still super annoyed with the removal of the Flash player, though. I haven't used the Google TV features of this set since it auto-updated the OS. If anybody finds a workaround, I'd love to hear it.

I can't confirm the amount of lag regarding the use of the Wii U. Secondly, you mentioned you game a lot but I don't know what "a lot" means to you, what type of games you're playing, etc. You mentioned Guitar Hero & Rockband and I'm not sure how sensitive those types of games are as those aren't necessarily multiplayer interactive. When playing, sure there's a lot of stuff onscreen but it's prerendered whereas a game that requires having characters that utilize artificial intelligence and have the ability to move in different directions onscreen causes the tv to have to adjust to the movement thus causing input lag.

There's going to be input lag on any device connected to any lcd/led hdtv but it will vary. There will be a lag time between your console and router, and thus lag time between your router and whatever server you're connected to and to whomever is connected to that, and so on. The thing is, in order for the tv to process the visual information into the best possible picture requires too much time when playing a game that requires a lot of movement of hd characters in hd environments. The system the tv uses to process that information isn't fast enough.

Example: I have several consoles (Xbox One, Xbox 360, and Sony PS3) and when I play a game like the latest Mortal Kombat or Diablo 3 on either the 360 or PS3 the game plays fine, no noticeable lag that interrupts my experience. But when I play a game that has more movement from multiple characters, has destructible environments in lush areas like RYSE (XB1) or NBA2K14 (XB1) or even Gears of War 3 there's a noticeable about of input lag and I'm not talking about the lag that's experienced online (my Xfinity gets 50Mbps download & 13 Mbps upload), I'm talking about story mode or campaign mode. But once the GAME MODE on the tv is initiated the lag is severely reduced but so is the picture quality, albeit it still looks good but not great.

Lastly, I too utilize the "expert settings" but only for viewing movies. I used an HDTV calibration by Monster ISF series to get the best settings for movie playback. This TV shows great for movies and I love the 3D feature.

Checkout these links regarding input display lag, in these they talk specifically about the input display lag that LG TV's tend to suffer from regarding playing games.

1. http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-33199_7-57589240-221/best-low-lag-hdtvs-for-serious-gamers/
2. http://www.displaylag.com/the-best-hdtvs-for-gaming-in-2013-part-2/
3. http://www.displaylag.com/vizio-m-jvc-hitachi-samsung-lg-tested-input-lag/
4. http://www.techradar.com/us/news/television/tv/top-7-gaming-tvs-for-the-xbox-one-and-ps4-1158413
5. http://www.hdtvtest.co.uk/news/input-lag
post #290 of 362 Old 01-09-2014, 09:21 AM

Quote:

You mentioned Guitar Hero & Rockband and I'm not sure how sensitive those types of games are as those aren't necessarily multiplayer interactive. When playing, sure there's a lot of stuff onscreen but it's prerendered whereas a game that requires having characters that utilize artificial intelligence and have the ability to move in different directions onscreen causes the tv to have to adjust to the movement thus causing input lag.

Hmmm. These statements make me think you might be confused about what display lag is. The latency of your broadband or the twitchiness of the enemy AI have no effect on your TV's lag. I can't figure out why you're talking about those things.

Rhythm games are some of the best indicators for lag because timing is crucial. You have to press the right button at exactly the right moment, or you fail. If the visuals don't match the audio and your input then these games are impossible to play.

I'm very confused by your statement about the difference between "prerendered" and live game footage. As far as a television is concerned, all images are prerendered, because they are rendered before they are sent to the set. The TV simply receives a video stream from whatever device you plug into it. It cannot discriminate between Lego Rock Band, Call of Duty, or Iron Man 3.

Can someone else chime in? Am I wrong here?
post #291 of 362 Old 01-09-2014, 09:30 AM

Quote:

Hmmm. These statements make me think you might be confused about what display lag is. The latency of your broadband or the twitchiness of the enemy AI have no effect on your TV's lag. I can't figure out why you're talking about those things.

Rhythm games are some of the best indicators for lag because timing is crucial. You have to press the right button at exactly the right moment, or you fail. If the visuals don't match the audio and your input then these games are impossible to play.

I'm very confused by your statement about the difference between "prerendered" and live game footage. As far as a television is concerned, all images are prerendered, because they are rendered before they are sent to the set. The TV simply receives a video stream from whatever device you plug into it. It cannot discriminate between Lego Rock Band, Call of Duty, or Iron Man 3.

Can someone else chime in? Am I wrong here?

I am not an expert in the audio/video field. I could very well be off base with regards to my explanation but the fact still remains that there is input display lag on the LG 55GA7900 and I have experienced it first hand when playing certain types of games. There are other games where input display lag isn't an issue even if present. In the last post I added a few web pages that supported what I was trying to say but on a more technical level but I'm sure you didn't read them as your focus was on my poor explanation. I'll go through them and attempt to cut & paste.

Input lag

Probably the most significant factor for determining the performance of a gaming TV is input lag. This is the amount of time it takes a TV to actually render an image after receiving an input from its HDMI source. As you can imagine, TVs that take longer to actually produce their images can severely damage gaming performance with certain types of timing-related games, such as Call of Duty and Guitar Hero.

It's easy to imagine the scenario, we've all been there: you encounter an enemy, you swivel and manage to get off a couple of rounds but the other guy is just too quick, and you're dead. If you've hooked your console up to a cheap TV you picked up at the supermarket for 60 shekels last Christmas, you might find this happening to you rather a lot – and it probably isn't your fault. Or at least, some of the time it won't be.

Game Mode

The fact is that all modern TVs using video processing to tune an optimal image according to the specifics of the individual electronics. Video processing causes input lag, and it's because of this that almost all TVs carry a Game mode. Generally speaking, Game Mode on a TV should switch off as much of the processing as possible, reducing the lag.

Annoyingly, though, some Game modes still leave some processing on, requiring you to turn more of it off yourself, and Samsung bizarrely 'hides' its Game mode away in an obscure submenu rather than putting it with the rest of the picture presets.

A good result for a TV is anything around 30ms or less, whereas anything above 60ms will definitely lead to a drop in your gaming performance.

The best TV we've tested by far in this respect is Sony's new 55W905, which measured under 10ms of input lag - the lowest figure we've ever tested. This make's the Sony a brilliantly responsive TV for gaming, and as we'll see, that's not the only thing it excels at either.

Panasonic's plasmas test quite well in this regard too, at around 35ms, as do Samsung's top-end LEDs. LG LCD TVs (and other passive 3D TVs) tend to test not so well in this respect.
post #292 of 362 Old 01-09-2014, 09:38 AM

Input lag measurements of all TVs

Below you'll find a list of the input lag measurements of every 2013 TV and projector CNET has tested so far. The numbers reflect the lowest lag number the TV is capable of, typically achieved in Game mode. (One exception: The results for Samsung F8500 were achieved with the "trick" of renaming the input to "PC." See the video processing section of the review for details.)

Television Type Input Lag (ms)

Sony KDL-55W802A LED LCD 16.9

Sony KDL-55W900A LED LCD 19.7

Vizio E50i-A1 LED LCD 32.6

Toshiba 50L2300U LED LCD 33.4

BenQ W1070 DLP projector 33.7

Panasonic TC-P50S60 Plasma 34.1

Panasonic TC-L55DT60 LED LCD 34.4

Panasonic TC-P65S64 Plasma 35.3

Panasonic TC-P65WT600 LED LCD 37.3

Vizio M551d-A2R LED LCD 37.9

Samsung UN40F5000 LED LCD 38.3

Seiki SE50UY04 LED LCD 38.3

Samsung PN51F5500 Plasma 38.8

Samsung UN55F7100 LED LCD 42.2

Samsung UN55F6300 LED LCD 44.1

LG 47LA6200 LED LCD 44.2

Samsung UN55F6400 LED LCD 44.6

Panasonic TC-P60ZT60 Plasma 46.2

Sony KDL-32R400A LED LCD 46.4

Samsung UN55F8000 LED LCD 46.8

Panasonic TC-P60VT60 Plasma 47.9

Panasonic TC-L50E60 LED LCD 48.3

Mitsubishi HC7900DW DLP projector 48.5

LG 55LA8600 LED LCD 51.3

Samsung PN60F8500 Plasma 53.1

Samsung UN65F9000 LED LCD 56.5

Sharp LC-60LE650 LED LCD 58.0

Sharp LC-60LE757U LED LCD 58.1

LG 60PH6700 Plasma 72.7

Panasonic TC-P55ST60 Plasma 73.6

JVC DLA-X35 LCoS projector 87.1

Epson 3020 LCD projector 89.3

Epson 5020UB LCD projector 95.1

TCL LE58FHDE3010 LED LCD 129.8

Input display lag is the term for the delay, in milliseconds, between a TV receiving a signal and the results of that signal appearing on the screen. Those milliseconds are irrelevant for TV shows and movies, and they don't even matter for most games -- the majority of gamers probably wouldn't even notice if their TV was laggy. But if you're an attentive, skilled gamer, especially one who plays "twitch" games like Call of Duty, Halo, or fighting games, especially in online multiplayer environments, input lag can mean the difference between virtual life and death.

CNET just started testing for input lag this year, and so far we've corralled a bunch of 2013 TVs. Here are the best five TV so far, plus one projector, in ascending order of lag in Game mode -- or the least laggy picture mode, if Game isn't an option. For reference, we grade under 40ms of lag as Good, 40 to 70 as Average, and more than 70 as Poor.
post #293 of 362 Old 01-09-2014, 11:03 AM

Quote:

I am not an expert in the audio/video field. I could very well be off base with regards to my explanation but the fact still remains that there is input display lag on the LG 55GA7900 and I have experienced it first hand when playing certain types of games. There are other games where input display lag isn't an issue even if present. In the last post I added a few web pages that supported what I was trying to say but on a more technical level but I'm sure you didn't read them as your focus was on my poor explanation. I'll go through them and attempt to cut & paste.

Sorry if I offended you! That wasn't my intention. It just seemed from your description of the conditions under which you were having issues that you might be talking about a different problem. As the links you provided explain, display lag is consistent. It doesn't change depending on the type of media or the amount of action being displayed. The only thing that changes is your ability to perceive the lag. And since I don't play a lot of twitchy games (or at least haven't since I got this TV) it hasn't affected me in any measurable way.
post #294 of 362 Old 01-09-2014, 01:01 PM

Quote:

Sorry if I offended you! That wasn't my intention. It just seemed from your description of the conditions under which you were having issues that you might be talking about a different problem. As the links you provided explain, display lag is consistent. It doesn't change depending on the type of media or the amount of action being displayed. The only thing that changes is your ability to perceive the lag. And since I don't play a lot of twitchy games (or at least haven't since I got this TV) it hasn't affected me in any measurable way.

No, I'm not offended. It's my fault as I didn't explain myself well. It's kinda like when you hear doctors speak amongst themselves, almost in another language because of the vocabulary, but when they talk to you they have to break it down into layman's terms. Only in this case I was the layman, LOL!

I'm in the top 100 players out of several million in a game type called WINGMAN on Gears of War 3. I use to play on an older HDTV that was rear projection with DLP made by Samsung until it broke. When I first bought it, it cost me $5.5K but that was several years ago. It broke and the repairman was charging well over $650 to fix it. I went and bought the LG 55GA7900 instead. On the old Samsung there was no lag or any that was noticeable. But on the LG it's to the point that I can't compete because of the lag. Needless to say, luckily I still own the last CRT HDTV produced by LG. It's a Super-Slim 37 inch Flat Screen CRT (cathode ray tube) and it shows a great picture and is great for gaming. I use it in my bedroom with another Xbox 360.

I'm hoping with future software updates that LG will be able to better address the input latency (lag) issue.
post #295 of 362 Old 01-10-2014, 01:47 AM

Finally recieved my 55ga7900 today.  Picture looks great so far with a couple of tweaks.  So far I the googleness of the tv is good, its not slow but it isn't blazing fast, just decent for a tv of this caliber.  The one issue I'm having is uniformity issues with the back light when watching widescreen movies.  There is definitely some flashlighting, I know most leds have this to some effect but wish it wasn't there because the picture is really that good on everything else without those black bars.  Maybe some biased lighting will do the trick since my room is so dark.  I'm coming from a un40f6030 samsung, which had much worse backlight uniformity issues, and the picture just wasn't as good as this tv.  Also for some reason even with the clear motion off I saw a lot of artifacts in that tv, couldn't stand it since it was such a common occurrence in lots of different media.

Also, I've been playing Ghosts for a couple hours so far, haven't noticed any significant lag at all, and I'm not using game mode, so that is definitely another plus.

post #296 of 362 Old 01-10-2014, 01:46 PM

Hey guys,

I've been lurking here for a while doing some reading before deciding on the TV but I have a few complaints that maybe you guys can help/answer for me (I've had the TV for a little under a month).  

1)  I have been trying to watch a few videos from the TV (such as in the play store to show a demo of the app) but it pops up and gives me youtube and something else as default players, neither of which actually play the videos.  I tried downloading a free player but I can't find a way to make it the default player (or even to suggest it as a potential default player).  Is there any app you guys use you play videos or a way around this?  I understand there USED to be a free app that you now have to pay money for (in the same way plex used to be free on display in the store but after the JB update, I now get the luxury of paying for . . .).  Can you help me with this?

2)  . . . . Why, why why, for the love of God, would they disable flash?!

3)  Why do previously free apps now cost money when they used to be free?

4)  Why are there so few apps relative to the google store?  I would have assumed that most apps that can be run on a phone would work here.  Do I need to root my tv in order to see more apps?  Or is there a good way of loading them outside of the play store (or do I need to update my play store somehow?).  

5)  Is there a reason LG google tv's seem to have been phased out and/or poorly supported? I would expect to see more google tvs but at this point, I'm having a hard time even finding this one . . . (luckily, I found one online)

6)  I seem to have lots of issues with Netflix, which will tell me that it can't stream a show and then will freeze until I force close the app or reset the tv.  At this point, it's almost pushing me to use my PS3 over the TV, which kind of defeats the purpose of a smart tv (especially when other app options are so limited)

7) . . . Where is the hulu plus ad?  It's not like it's a new service . . . it's more or less a pretty common app.  Even the PS3 has an app for it and they only have 6 apps or so!

Overall, as a TV, I am super impressed.  It looks amazing (even though I run it almost entirely in game mood, even for movies as my wife hates the soap opera effect and is used to 60 Hz display so we run it on game mode, which she seems to like.  The main reason I got the tv (besides the remote, which is super handy), is for the deep blacks which look really good on the TV (relative to blacks on most over tvs that appear more of a washed out grey).  I will say I am less than impressed with the google aspect of the "Google TV", especially since a lot of other tv's already have android.  If the "google tv" portion of it means I get less options than other tvs and I have to pay for everything, I'm probably going to lean away from anything google has gotten their hands on in the future.  

Has anyone else's experience's been similar to this?  Or are there a lot of workarounds or fixes I don't know about?  I guess I'm a little frustrated as I bought it based on what I saw in store and it came with a lot of these features, got it home, it updated itself, and then a lot of the COMMON features are gone.  Somehow, that doesn't seem right to me . . .

post #297 of 362 Old 01-11-2014, 06:53 PM - Thread Starter

Liked: 12
For those GTV owners that are looking to re-install the last supported version of Adobe's Flashplayer, visit this link:

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/1061194

Scroll downward toward the bottom and look for Android versions-choose the latest version that Adobe released for Android. Might as well add it to your Android phones as well...
post #298 of 362 Old 01-12-2014, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boidsonly View Post

For those GTV owners that are looking to re-install the last supported version of Adobe's Flashplayer, visit this link:

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/1061194

Scroll downward toward the bottom and look for Android versions-choose the latest version that Adobe released for Android. Might as well add it to your Android phones as well...

Is this supposed to work with the new mobile chrome browser? I installed the latest flash but it does not allow flash to work In the native browser. Is there a way to download the old desktop browser? How are u getting flash to work with the new OS update?
post #299 of 362 Old 01-14-2014, 06:45 PM

Just got this TV yesterday open box for $1000 and I love it.. No scratches or anything and everything works perfect. I think I already know the answer to this question but figured I would confirm anyway. It was announced last month that ALL 2013 LG Smart TV's would begin supporting Spotify. I presume since this is Google TV Integrated that this TV will be the only exception?
post #300 of 362 Old 01-24-2014, 07:06 AM

Hey guys...new the forum.

Issue: So I don't have cable. I bought a indoor antenna (Mohu). However, when I connect to the TV nothing happens. So I went to the channel menu and everything is grayed out. So I don't how else to scan for channels. I know its not the Mohu because it works on another TV (Vizio). On that TV, I got 15 channels.

Question: Am I missing something here? Do I need to go to the service menu? I am not sure what else to do. Maybe there is another menu I am overlooking.

I was thinking the panel might be bad but I have two HDMI plugged in (Roku and DVD) - they work fine.

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Lg Electronics 55ga6400 55 Inch Cinema 3d Led Lcd Hdtv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page