Official LG 55ga7900 owners thread - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 362 Old 05-03-2013, 03:09 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Mods, feel free to delete/move this thread if it is in the wrong place. I performed a search for the above model and came up empty.

I purchased the LG 55GA7900 from Best Buy today. They were not going to put them on display until next week (when space would become available).

I had them price match Electronic Express (on order but would not come in until next week) who had a no tax week going until tomorrow (Sat p.m.). After BB verified no taxes with EE, they agreed to price match. The only difference between the 55GA7900 and the 55LA8600 model, as far as I can tell, is the GA is the Google TV.

As soon as I can get the TV in the house, I'll get pics of it being unpacked as well as all the accessories. wink.gif

This is my first LG TV, so I look forward to getting it set up and picking the brains of the pros on here and the other LG threads.

I had planned to buy the 55LM8600 until the salesclerk let slip there were two new 2013 55 inch panels in the back-nothing like changing horse mid-stream...eek.gif
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 362 Old 05-03-2013, 04:11 PM - Thread Starter

OK, here are some first shots. Ran out of daylight and the granddaughter popped in. I'll again get on it first thing tomorrow.

post #3 of 362 Old 05-03-2013, 04:15 PM - Thread Starter

Unpacked, for the most part.

post #4 of 362 Old 05-04-2013, 12:48 PM - Thread Starter

And finally:

post #5 of 362 Old 05-05-2013, 05:45 AM

Liked: 13
Very nice. I have the original Sony NSZGT1 Google Blu-ray player and was considering moving that to another room and purchasing the GA7900. My wife and I both like the overall functionality of Google TV.
post #6 of 362 Old 05-08-2013, 12:14 AM

Liked: 11
boidsonly, I'd like to hear your review/impressions on this TV soon, as I was looking on getting this TV myself, or between this model and the GA6400.- I found a good pretty good comparison here when doing some research: http://reviews.lcdtvbuyingguide.com/lg-lcd-tv/lg-55ga6400-vs-55ga7900.html

I would probably go for the 240hz model as I do PS3 and PC gaming a few times a week. Also I have heard some people do not like that Trumotion feature, is it possible to turn it off?

Thanks for the info.
post #7 of 362 Old 05-08-2013, 05:33 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinistar83 View Post

boidsonly, I'd like to hear your review/impressions on this TV soon, as I was looking on getting this TV myself, or between this model and the GA6400.- I found a good pretty good comparison here when doing some research: http://reviews.lcdtvbuyingguide.com/lg-lcd-tv/lg-55ga6400-vs-55ga7900.html

I would probably go for the 240hz model as I do PS3 and PC gaming a few times a week. Also I have heard some people do not like that Trumotion feature, is it possible to turn it off?

Thanks for the info.

I read that as well. It, along with anything else I could find, swayed me from the 55lm9600 (last years?) to this model.

I have only the Onkyo txnr-818 as an input to the TV-everything goes through the AVR (laptop/360/PS3/Roku/etc). So far I have tested the laptop input/resolution and am satisfied with the picture quality. I had to use the TV's "just scan" setting to get the laptop picture (1920x1080) to display correctly on the TV. I primarily listen to music via 3tb HDD>Laptop>818>TV and am very happy with the performance of the TV within this setup chain.

I watch little TV, except streaming video via Netflix and the other usual suspects when time allows. I'll update my review of this model as I have the time to explore its features but I do have a few first impressions since setting up the TV on 04/05/13. It is wall mounted so I cannot speak to the stand-it is still in the box.

My initial impressions are, in no particular order:

-This is a gorgeous TV. Very sleek design with a tiny bezel. My only complaint here is the bezel is angled outward and not perpendicular to the screen. Personally, I would have preferred the latter, if only to make the bezel appear smaller. I can, however, live with the angled bezel...

-The picture out of the box (vanilla) is nice but a little dark. I'll play with the settings and see if it can be improved.

-I noticed a little judder with a slow moving pan via Roku (a 4:3 black and white cut scene) so I suspect some picture adjustments are required.

-The small black remote will take some getting used to. Buttons are tiny and some of the text is in red, making it difficult to read. The keyboard on the back of the remote is easy to use but suffers from the same red text issue. Yellow or a bright green would have been a better color choice, especially in a dark room.

-the Google interface is very familiar since I have android tablets/phones. I am not sure how much use it will get since I have my laptop connected and do most of my work/play through the Opera browswer on it. But I will test it out and have some comment(s), one way or the other. Signing in/or up to Google is part of the initial TV setup. Android ver. 3.2 is the OS on the TV. Under Google options is the ability to install 3rd party apps via check box like one can on a phone or tablet. Several Google apps had updates available the day after setup.

-Will someone eventually root this TV? Can it be done?

-The screen does reflect a little more light than my older Toshiba LCD. To minimize the reflection I rearranged my entire living room in advance so I could place the TV on a better suited wall. So far so good...

DVD playback: I used, "The Hobbit", as a gauge for picture quality. The content was very clear and bright with no stuttering, jaggies or juddering. The TV PQ was set on "Standard". I noticed no obvious flashlighting or blooming during the dark scenes. I am very satisfied with this TV's performance so far.

-Gaming: The only game I have had a chance to play is the PC game, "The Unmechanical". It looks gorgeous and runs well-but it is not an FPS so it can't be judged on this game alone. I'll try to get to some God of War or Drakes gaming as soon as I can.

If there is anything in particular you want me to look at, let me know. I was down to this model and the newer Samsung 55f7500 or 8000. They all have their detractors/issues so I suspect it will boil down to what your preferences are and what you can live with?
post #8 of 362 Old 05-08-2013, 09:13 PM

Thanks for the reply, boidsonly.
I also have an Onkyo receiver too where everything goes through as well (Cox DVR, PC HDMI & PS3), so will the Google TV overlay work on top of whatever input I have currently selected through the Onkyo, or does it have to be in OTA/cable mode for it to work properly?

I went to Best Buy today after work to see if they had this TV on display but they only had the 47" GA6400 model. They had it hooked up live I think. I only played with it a few moments and putzed around in the google menus and loaded the play store and tried to go to that 3D icon from the main menu, and tried to load a 2d to 3d conversion movie but I think it was bad quality (looked like a you tube video) and it didn't convert right.
So my understanding with the Google TV if you find A TV show or movie choose to record it in the guide menu then the IR blaster with work with your DVR in order to record it?

I noticed what you meant on the remote with messing with it for a but. I could not figure out how to get the 'mouse pointer' mode working when I was using it so i just used the direction keys to select menus itemsand the scroll button in the middle to select.

That is pretty neat you can "sideload" apps like on a regular android phone/tablet. I wonder if you can do that with the Android Appstore as well on the TV and use the Amazon free apps of the day on the TV?

I think I tried the Unmechanical demo on Steam a while back, the gfx where good, but gameplay was kind of weird if I remember., I'm pretty sure God of War 3 and the new one that just came out are in 3D as well as Uncharted 3 as well so I'd be interested in hearing how the 3D gaming is on the TV. Hopefully it eliminates the cross talk with the 240 Hz. Does this model also have the feature that has Dual Play two player split screen converted to full screen option for gaming?
post #9 of 362 Old 05-09-2013, 06:56 AM - Thread Starter

If I understand your question correctly, the current HDMI input is shown in a box in the upper left hand corner as part of the first box/section (of which there are six). I do not have cable or any other TV service so I cannot speak to anything that involves DVR, shows, etc. You can see my laptop's background photo in the upper left (HDMI 1).

I read in several places on the web where converting 2d to 3d can return some wonky picture quality if the material is not meant to be viewed in 3d. Not really important to myself or the wife; maybe it will be a neat toy for the grandkids...

The mouse pointer is the center button of the 3 sandwiched in between the Ch and Vol buttons on the left and right. It activates for an annoyingly short 2 seconds-you can shake the remote left and right to center the pointer on the TV screen. The IR blaster is included for your intended purpose though I will probably never give it any use. When setting up devices, the TV offers codes to sync your devices. If one code fails, it offers up another, and so on until it gets it right.

I don't think that "any" app can be downloaded from the Play Store-it is probably hit and miss depending on the app's intended use. Have not tried the amazon store app though I don't see any way to download and install the .apk through the TV interface. I can play around and see what, if anything, I can do with it?

I let my buddy borrow GoW 3 but I can reload Drake 3 and see how that silly "10 minute Family Guy chicken fight" opening scene looks? I don't know if split player is available on this (or any LG model). I am still looking to see if I can turn off TruMotion and what affect it has on the PQ. Not a whole lot on the web about this model right now and there is a paucity of info in the manual, even the one I downloaded from LG's site. I plan to look on the included disk sometime later today/this evening.

post #10 of 362 Old 05-09-2013, 05:54 PM

OK so the upper left "live" image is whatever is input is active. I'm guessing if you have a movie or game playing through the PS3 and that is the active input it will show there too. From what I've seen in other videos I thought it was always showing the TV or cable/satellite view there with all the channels so I thought that's what would always be showing. Thanks for clearing that up. smile.gif

I don't remember the 10 minute family guy chicken fight opening scene from Uncharted 3, I'll have to play it again. I just . I only played it in 3D on my 22" Sony Playstation monitor - I picked it up at best buy on clearance years ago, and it works great for a PC monitor, but I don't like the Active 3D glasses on it (quality was not good and it gave me a headache), which is another reason I want the passive 3D on the LG TV smile.gif

I looked on LG's website to see if the GA7900 had the dual play feature and the 2D to 3D conversion but it didn't show it on the feature list tab http://www.lg.com/us/tvs/lg-55GA7900-led-tv but interestingly it does show it on the GA6400 webpage http://www.lg.com/us/tvs/lg-55GA6400-led-tv so maybe it's just a website error? Can you confirm the GA7900 has those features?

I found a you tube video on the LG Dual play feature demos how it works. It looks pretty cool. Basically for any split screen games it splits the signal like 3D, but it's only 2D and each player can see their own "split screen part" on the full screen
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bbRG-KfWyVc

You have to buy the special LG glasses, or you can make your own by swapping out the lenses in a pair of glasses
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qyy2nDHuZ3A

Oh, one other quick thing, does the TV have the ability to adjust the overscan (I think it's called)? My current main TV, a basic Vizio 42" LCD does not have this feature and it drives me crazy you can't adjust it.. On some TV shows/movies and it's real noticeable in games the image will be "too big" tor the frame of the TV and the edges (usually around 1" or so) will get cut off by the edge of the TV. It's not the 4:3 or 16:9 aspect ratio. When watching movies, live TV, cable or Netflix I can't adjust it. But some PS3 and PC games I have tried will ask you to adjust the frame/scale of the TV when you first play it and it saves the picture settings so it helps a LOT. I just wanted to be able to adjust it on the TV itself
post #11 of 362 Old 05-09-2013, 07:25 PM - Thread Starter

"I don't remember the 10 minute family guy chicken fight opening scene from Uncharted 3, I'll have to play it again."

I was being a tad facetious; the opening fight in "Uncharted 3" reminded me of the ridiculous 10 minute fight between Peter and the big chicken on Family Guy. smile.gif

TruMotion can be turned off or otherwise adjusted as desired. The settings are Off/On/Super/Ultra/User or something like that. Judder/ dimming, etc., can be adjusted via settings ranging from 0-10/0-100.

Today there was an android update available when I turned on the TV. It did not change the version (3.2) but it must have been a bunch of bug fixes. One of which was to fix the 2 second mouse pointer issue. It stayed active for about 15 seconds before I depressed the button again to turn it off.

The granddaughter is coming over tomorrow and I'll let her try out some games to get her opinion re: lag, etc. I have not seen anything worth noting so far.

Tomorrow I'll dig around in the settings and see what 3d has to offer and if I can answer your question. Seems to me that the 55lm9600 was touted as having the double screen feature (or maybe it was Samsung); I just can't remember where and who said it to me.

Under Picture settings, there are several options such as "just scan, 16:9, and several others. My laptop has a resolution of 1080 and only displays correctly on "just scan" as opposed to 16:9 or any of the other settings.
post #12 of 362 Old 05-10-2013, 03:14 PM - Thread Starter

"I looked on LG's website to see if the GA7900 had the dual play feature and the 2D to 3D conversion but it didn't show it on the feature list tab http://www.lg.com/us/tvs/lg-55GA7900-led-tv but interestingly it does show it on the GA6400 webpage http://www.lg.com/us/tvs/lg-55GA6400-led-tv so maybe it's just a website error? Can you confirm the GA7900 has those features?"

I could not find any info on the TV or in the manual. I went to LG's site and inquired about split screen gaming. According to the rep I had a text conversation with, the 55ga7900 does not support it. Though it is a bit odd that a lower model would have it.
post #13 of 362 Old 05-11-2013, 09:16 AM

I just noticed on the LG site for the GA7900 TV on the Technical specs tab you can download the PDF http://www.lg.com/us/support/products/documents/Spec%20Sheets_55GA7900_spec_sheet.pdf and on there it does say it supports Dual Play and 2D to 3D conversion smile.gif
It even says it has those features on the Best Buy product page under "3D Technology" http://www.bestbuy.com/site/LG---55%22-Class-(54-5/8%22-Diag.)---LED---1080p---240Hz---Smart---3D---HDTV/8014059.p?id=1218863741912&skuId=8014059

But that's really weird it is not in the manual.Or the LG rep said it did not have it, unless they removed those features at the last minute? Or maybe the option is buried in the TV's 3D menus somewhere, or maybe you have to download a separate app?
Anyway if you come across those menu options, let me know.

I'm gonna try to head to a different Best Buy today and see if they have the 55" GA7900 and 6400 models side by side to see if I can really tell the difference between the 120 and 240 Hz

One other question I had on the Google Play, when you download and install apps, does it take up internal memory on the TV or do you need to use an external HDD via USB or a SD card? I didn't see anywhere in the description how much memory this TV has. Most Android smartphones and tables have at least 16 or 32 gig built in nowadays anyways, so I didn't know if this TV had something comparable built in.. I'd hate to install a few apps then it would already be full..
post #14 of 362 Old 05-11-2013, 12:06 PM - Thread Starter

Several days ago I downloaded the .pdf and went though it looking for more detail than the in box manual. Other than some wiring info (.pdf ver.), it seemed identical to the printed manual. I never opened the CD version of the manual, assuming it was all the same. It did support 2d to 3d but I never got around to checking it out.

I did look around the storage option and there was an option to check the amount of external storage so I am guessing if the app does not have a requirement to be installed in internal memory it can be moved, like on a phone/tablet?

I did game on it last night and the lag was a big turnoff. I gamed in both vivid and gaming mode and there was little difference. The 240 hz moniker is misleading as I suspect this is a 120 hz model with 240 TruMotion (picture interpolation or whatever they want to call it). If I had to turn off the very feature I was paying for, it was not worth it to me. I took it back today and ordered the Samsung 55f8000.

I really wanted to like this TV but could not justify the price for what I think is a 120 hz TV. Even the granddaughter remarked, while playing a game, "What's going on with this game"? I did not tell her anything about lag, etc so she spoke out of frustration and that was the clincher for me. The 55ga7900 is now back on BB property...
post #15 of 362 Old 05-12-2013, 06:41 PM

Didn't get a chance to head to Best Buy this weekend to compare the TVs.

Sorry you ended up returning the TV. Just out of curiosity what game did you try when you noticed the lag, or did you try a few games? was it lagging in both 2D and 3D?

I wonder if it's just worth getting the 55" GA6400 then if this is having problems with lag and it's $500 cheaper? But I thought I read on another review some people were having problem with audio sync issues when they output through a receiver.

I'll probably get a new TV by the end of the month, but I wanted to keep it under $2000 and have passive 3D. Not so sure if I want this model now that you mentioned you were having lag problems when gaming, since I will be doing gaming on it.
post #16 of 362 Old 05-13-2013, 07:33 AM - Thread Starter

The games used were Drake 1 and 2, GoW 2, (PS3) and Borderlands 2 (360). I suppose my grandson would never catch on, let alone even understand lag, but my granddaughter caught on without knowing why. I never tried gaming in 3d mode-that might be something you could do instore? There may be some magic settings that I failed to try but one has only 15 days to return under BB policy, unless it is purchased under the premium membership.

I noticed a little lip sync timing but the wife said it did not bother her so I wrote that off as being able to fix if I made some adjustments either on the Onkyo or TV. If I have to run everything in to the TV, why do I own an amp in the first place?

The picture itself, on the 55ga7900 is really beautiful. I could live with anything that cropped up with it but the gaming lag ate at me. GIven BB's generous 2 week return policy, why not get it and see what you think of it? Maybe it will not bother you as much as it bothered me? I really wanted to like this TV-it is a gorgeous TV, nice picture, has Google, etc. Almost the perfect combination...but I did not want to live with buyers' remorse regarding the gaming. And the 120hz vs 240hz TruMotion thing.

If I left it up to the wife, the LG would still be here; but the wife and I have an understanding. She does not get involved in tech buys and I don't get involved in furniture buys, house colors, etc. Works out pretty good around here...wink.gif
post #17 of 362 Old 05-14-2013, 06:56 PM

Good idea on "testing" the TV in home since they have a 2 week return policy. smile.gif
Hopefully there's no 15% restocking fee or any of that junk. I've never made a major purchase at BB before.
post #18 of 362 Old 05-25-2013, 04:23 PM

Liked: 10
I have read this site for a few years, but mostly as a reference when buying or to troubleshoot issues. But this thread seems to be taking off slowly, so I figured I'd chime in (particularly because of the gaming discussion).

So, I got this TV a few weeks ago and overall I am happy with it. I previously owned a 50" Samsung LED DP TV that I was quite happy with, but it started to die (multiplying dead pixels on the screen). I researched a lot of Samsung/Sony/LG models on this site and looked at sets in B&M stores. My girlfriend has one of last year's Samsung smart TVs that she is happy with. The Smart TV UI is functional, but nothing to write home about and the browser is crap (note: I have no experience with the 2013 models). I'll admit, I was drawn to the idea having a Google-developed and supported interface. I was interested in the LG 55G2 from last year because of the built in Google TV, but the set got middling reviews. However, when the 2013 models came out, I read some good things about the LA7400 (basically this set minus Google TV built in) so I decided to pull the trigger, knowing I could send it back to Amazon in 2 weeks if I wasn't happy with it.

The set itself is also a great looking television. The bezel is thin and made of metal. It is quite nice looking. I think the picture is great - HD looks great and SD is acceptable (not why you buy a new TV these days). Blu-Rays and DVDs look amazing. The screen itself is a bit reflective, so if your room is extremely bright, this may not be the set for you. Viewing angles are great. The sound is good for a TV set, but i suspect most users on this forum will have their own audio set up (I have a speaker set up, but have been too lazy to connect so I have been using with the TVs speakers). I have mine set up on the stand (the previous user mounted his/hers) The stand is nice looking and swivels (I read some of the LG stands don't, which is the only reason I mentioned the stand). I can't comment on the 3D because I haven't really watched anything on it, save playing a little Uncharted 3. I got this TV for it's other features; it also happens to have 3D. It is fine, but I don't even bother with 3D movies in the theater, and I don't care about them in my living room (yet). I throw in the yet because I haven't given it a fair shake, so I'm open to maybe caring; right now I just don't.

Now on to gaming. I game a fair amount. I have both a 360 and a PS3 and input lag was a serious consideration for my purchase and one of the reasons I was buying it with a "trial period" in mind before I decided if I'd keep it. As background I play a lot of FPS games, but games of all type as well. So on the Xbox I played quite a bit of Battlefield 3, along with some Metro: Last Light and Dishonored, and on the PS3 I played some Uncharted 3 and Dark Souls. In game mode I experienced no noticeable input lag (it does make the picture somewhat less vibrant color-wise). To address that, I tried putting it in standard picture mode and that introduced noticeable input lag. So I switched back to game mode. Perhaps I'll tinker with a custom setting soon, but honestly I hardly notice it now. I play BF3 quite a bit and usually do quite well - it is really the only multiplayer game I am playing at the moment - so this was really the test for me. I have no issues with the performance of this TV with games. It definitely does support Dual Play. I haven't used it (I don't have the glasses or really the need) but the option is there right in the Apps menu and I even enabled it to see what it would do. It does support it.

I just wanted to chime in and let everyone know that I have had a different experience with respect to games.

I have yet to find any pro calibrations for the set yet, but I will keep my eyes peeled.

EDIT: I will add more about the Google TV later, I am pressed for time at the moment and have to run.
post #19 of 362 Old 05-27-2013, 10:52 AM

Looks like Best Buy lowered the price of this TV by $200 ($1699 instead of $1899 that it has been) so I'm gonna go pick up the TV later today I will be using the stand as well initially, but I may all mount at some point.
Good to hear about you were not having issues with the lag with gaming. I will have to report back with my results back soon.
post #20 of 362 Old 05-27-2013, 04:24 PM

Memorial day festivities behind me, I'll continue with my experiences with the TV so far.

I'll Start with the built in Google TV. The apps available in Google TV are: 3D World, Amazon Video, Clock, Crackle, Downloads, Dual Play, Flixster, Google Chrome, HBO GO, IR DB Update (for the IR blaster), LG Smart Mall, Live TV, Netflix, OnLive, Pandora Radio (which I added, see below), Photos, Play Movies, Play Music, Play Store, Plex, Prime Time, Quick Settings, Google Search, Settings, SmartShare, Spotlight, Thuuz Sports, Voice Search, and YouTube. Just checking the Play Store, there are a few new apps that weren’t available a couple of weeks ago like IMDB, recipe Search, and Zillow – nothing I care about on my TV (but at least I know some work is getting done).

I am alternately impressed by and disappointed with Google TV so far. First I opened up the Apps available from the Home menu - I wanted to listen to a little music. I was surprised that there was no Pandora (or equivalent) app present. Only Google Play Music. Disappointed. But then I browsed to Pandora with the Chrome browser and went to favorite it when i saw the option to make the link an App in the App menu. So I did. And now Pandora appears in my apps menu (even with the right icon). Impressed. In my mind it is a glaring oversight to not have any streaming music program (especially the most popular one), but it is nice to have a browser and UI that is capable and flexible (I noted in an earlier post and will restate here that I only have experience with a couple of Samsung SmartTV versions, neither of which is a 2013 model so I cannot critique/comment on its functionality).

A second thing is that it came with an HBO GO app straight out of the box. This was definitely a plus for me. However, upon running the app it became clear that it is just the HBO GO website handled in Chrome. Don’t get me wrong, it works. It is not, however, optimized for use on a smart TV which can lead to some frustrations navigating the menus. Playback always starts in windowed mode, and you then maximize it to full screen. It is a minor annoyance, but one that shouldn’t exist in a smart TV (in my opinion). It may be that there is a proper app, one that is optimized for use on a smart tv, in the works and this was a stopgap solution (that is my hope).

This leads me into the next area about the television – the magic remote. I absolutely love the magic remote when it isn't frustrating the hell out of me. By and large the remote adds a nice functionality to the tv and to web browsing. The qwerty keyboard is a nice addition as well. I’ll say that boidsonly’s critiques of small keys (on the qwerty side) and the red print for the alternate characters for each key being hard to read are spot on. The qwerty side is impossible to use in the dark. Having it backlit would be ideal, or even any other color for the alternate characters. That said, having used a smart TV without this available, I’ll take a less-than-ideal qwerty over using a directional pad to select letters from a grid/line of letters any day of the week.

A nice feature in the remote is the voice button. You can press it speak what you want it to do (e.g. “channel HBO,” “watch Netflix,” etc.) and it will do that thing. This is not so much a selling point for me as someone who likes tech and messing around with it, but for those in your household who don’t. For instance, my girlfriend can just pick it up and use it thanks to this, whereas usually she’d spend time muddling her way through some menus and get frustrated (until she got used to it).

Now for my complaints about Magic remote. It isn’t super precise. This is to be expected, but when one of my go-to apps (HBO GO) is an un-optimized webpage rather than an app, this can lead to some frustration. It handles large motion quite well, but struggles with small/slight moves and also near the edge of the screen. I have several times slid the pointer right next to a button I wanted to press, and then tried to inch it over it, only to have it move and then slide back to its initial position. I have had some truly frustrating moments and when it is difficult I hate it. If there was a “snap” function on click-able buttons/links, it would go a long way to alleviating the frustration the remote generates (are you listening, LG?).

Overall, though I think the Magic Remote is a good solution to navigating the web, but my fear is that they will rely on the combo of it and Chrome too much and neglect app development. The only example of that so far is HBO GO (and perhaps Pandora), so maybe I am jumping the gun on that.

That is all for now. I wanted to include my complaints as well as the things I liked so that prospective buyers can at least refer to them to get the perspective of an owner. I have had it for about three weeks now, so it is with me for good. I am happy with my purchase – most of my complaints are issues that are minor to me, but I share them for full disclosure (they might not be minor to you).

Hope this was helpful. Cheers!

Edit: fixed typos.
post #21 of 362 Old 05-28-2013, 05:48 PM

mcshane, sounds like there are some minor quirks with the TV, hopefully most of that can be fixed in a software update. smile.gif

I brought home the TV yesterday, I was able to find someone with a truck to do a Store pick up with me. But as of now the TV is still sealed in the box in my living room, as none of my friends won't be able to come over until tomorrow or Thursday to help me move the old TV out of the way and set up the new one, kinda frustrating as I want to use it already but what can you do lol.
post #22 of 362 Old 05-29-2013, 07:23 AM

hello you probably already go your answers by now but i posted a thread with questions/issues i have with the 55ga7900 ...

this is what i said:

i have 3 lg tvs al of witch are "SMART" i have:

42LS5700 LED smart 120hz
47LM8600 LED PLUS smart 3d 240hz
55GA7900 LED PLUS GOOGLE 3d 240hz

both smart tvs i am 100% happy with everything you could ever want in a tv very impressed with the LM8600. anyway with these 2 tv i can be in any smart app, say netflix and if i want to change the picture setting to say vivid or cinema etc all i have to do is hit the menu button on remote and slect set video or audio. i like everything on cinema and then i adjust my trumotion setting to where i like it. However with this new "GOOGLE" tv that is supposed to be so great the 55GA7900 it is not so smart. i have the Samsung galaxy s4 (die hard android fan) and it cam out 2013 and runs on jelly bean 4.2.2 and now i have the lg google tv ga7900 that also came out 2013 but yet runs on android ver. 3.0 honeycomb . yes, honeycomb was meant for tablets and such but its 2013 here why cant my tv run on ICS 4.0 or ginger bread 4.1 or how bout jelly bean 4.2 but no you have a 2500 dollar tv that lacks updates, cannot have vudu or facebook from the play store and most importantly while im in netflix i CANT adjust the picture setting like you can in the smart tvs. the google tv is supposed to be "smarter" and more advance than the smart line ups. also my single core cup tvs run faster through menus vs the google tv's dual core L9 cpu.. makes me wonder. also the picture quality on the lm8600 is absolutley stunning vs. the ga7900 IMO ..

as far as the trumotion i like it but on this tv even though its 240hz the trumotion / SOE (soap Oprah effect) is very choppy and sometimes i will set the motion blurr and dejudder to 10 all thhe way up and i notice its extremely chippy so i go back in to the 5000 step menus and the trumotion (motion blurr and dejudder is all the way down to 0................ WTH ......................

just a heads up for you guys thinging about going with the google line up.

im thinking about exchanging for the stunning 55LM9600 witch features NANO LED, 3d, 480hz!!!!!!! and much much more
post #23 of 362 Old 05-29-2013, 08:50 AM
Advanced Member

I took delivery of this set from Best Buy on Memorial Day. I would like to thank Sinistar83 for letting me know about the price change since I paid $1899. I am very impressed with the display from this set and am still tweaking it. I am not a heavy gamer so I can't comment there although I have a PS3 and will put a game in to try it. The passive 3D on this set is great even though I do get eye fatigue. Verizon has had a free On Demand preview going so I got a chance to watch Prometheus, Green Lantern, and Spiderman in 3D. It seemed like I was looking out a window and was very impressive.

I am luke warm on Google TV for 3 reasons. The first is that I had to run an optical cable from the set to my receiver for the audio to work from Google TV sources. I will have to play around with my Harmony remote to get that working. My setup was fairly simple before in that I had the FIOS STB and PS3 hooked to my Yamaha receiver with HDMI and then HDMI out to TV. The Optical out and IR blasters for the STB and Yamaha from the TV have made things "messy" so to speak. The 2nd complaint about Google TV is that the default results for your searches are the Google Play store. If the programming is free on Netflix or Amazon, I would rather it look there but of course they want to make money. The 3rd issue with Google TV is that some of my voice searches were not returning results from Youtube when I knew the videos were there. I'm a history buff and am watching the Cold War series on Youtube and the titles are "Cold War 01/24 - Cold War 24/24" A voice search for Cold War 10/24 could not find the video but if I typed it in the search box, it found it.

Overall I like the set and will probably keep it. My 2006 60" Sony XBR died and of course this set is 7 years newer and the technology has come a long way.
post #24 of 362 Old 05-30-2013, 10:07 AM

Finally had a buddy come over yesterday and help me set it up.

And so far everything looks great from what I tinkered with it so far. Tested PS3 a bit and the 3D Bluray for Promethious.

But I'm not sure if I have my system set up properly. I have an Onkyo TX-NR809 receiver, and with my old TV setup I basically my DVR and PS3 are input through that and then the HDMI out goes to the HDMI in for the TV for video
I can control my DVR via IR blaster if I hit the input button on the magic remote and choose the Cox option instead of HDMI1.
But if I use any of the apps on the TV I do not get any sound at all like from Netflix, but the Netflix app on the PS3 works great.so the only way I can get any of the Google TV apps is to use a Optical cable? I thought HDMI was supposed to be better than that?
post #25 of 362 Old 05-30-2013, 11:01 AM
Advanced Member

You would think there would be an HDMI out port but maybe there is a legal reason why they can't have one on a TV? I am thinking of plugging my PS3 and STB into the TV and hoping the optical cable will pass the audio to my receiver from those devices (HDMI to TV then to the Receiver via Optical). A disadvantage to that is I think you lose higher resolution audio codecs?
post #26 of 362 Old 06-01-2013, 12:48 PM

Well I just ordered an optical cable from amazon so i can at least get the TV and the google play apps sound through the receiver, but Ill probably leave my PS3 and DVR set up as is now, instead of passing everything through the TV. Yeah I think you are right you would lose the higher resolution audio codecs. Can anyone confirm?
post #27 of 362 Old 06-03-2013, 06:22 AM
Advanced Member

Picked up this tv up yesterday at Best Buy.. showed them some way lowball internet pricing (which I knew they wouldn't match) and they agreed to take $100 off the price, so $1599 out the door (no tax here in NH)... It was between this TV, the Samsung F8000 and the LG LA7400.. I took google TV over the standard LG Smart TV as i've already got some stuff purchased w/google.. Figured google will be more apt to update stuff as well as we go along.

First impressions so far are that it is superior to my 50" Panasonic G10 plasma in many ways. My G10 never satisfied me from a picture standpoint; and this TV so far looks great.

Two areas of concern:
Possible DSE with the screen, was watching hockey game last night; i had major DSE with my plasma. Hoping that it was in the broadcast and not the screen.

Picture control options are way too buried in the options

You can't see the full tv screen when you adjust picture settings!! The picture adjustment box takes up a 4:3 block and you're left with just the sides. Since the settings are 4-6 levels deep, you have to exit all the way out to see full screen settings, and then go all the way back through those levels to get back to where you were. Am I missing something?
post #28 of 362 Old 06-03-2013, 04:27 PM - Thread Starter

Guys,

I had sound returning from the TV to my Onkyo via HDMI-make sure you are using the TV's HDMI w/ARC. I think I also had to go into a menu and turn on external speakers/turn off internal speakers. But I did not need an optical cable.

I used the "just scan" (or wording very similar) to get the picture to correctly fit on the TV panel. See the highlighted box in post number 9-it is in that menu if I remember correctly. It was not buried several layers down like it is in a Samsung.

It IS one nice looking TV, I have to admit.
post #29 of 362 Old 06-04-2013, 06:11 AM
Advanced Member

Watch more hockey last night. Love the TV but it has a nasty darker spot on it, symptoms of dirty screen effect. Normal TV viewing you don't see it at all, but when watching hockey.. ugh, it rears its ugly head...

Will call Best Buy and have the swap it out... Anyone have any DSE effects, or screen uniformity issues?
post #30 of 362 Old 06-04-2013, 01:10 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by boidsonly View Post

Guys,

I had sound returning from the TV to my Onkyo via HDMI-make sure you are using the TV's HDMI w/ARC. I think I also had to go into a menu and turn on external speakers/turn off internal speakers. But I did not need an optical cable.

I used the "just scan" (or wording very similar) to get the picture to correctly fit on the TV panel. See the highlighted box in post number 9-it is in that menu if I remember correctly. It was not buried several layers down like it is in a Samsung.

It IS one nice looking TV, I have to admit.

If an HDMI cable is plugged into HDMI Out on an Audio Receiver and one of the HDMI ports on the TV, sound will output from the TV to the Audio Receiver? I have a fairly new Yamaha receiver that is perhaps 2-3 years old. What input do you select on your Onkyo to receive audio from Google TV from the LG TV?
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Lg Electronics 55ga6400 55 Inch Cinema 3d Led Lcd Hdtv
Gear in this thread

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page