Used Sony 40" XBR4 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 15 Old 05-06-2013, 11:14 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Does anyone know how much a used 40" XBR4 would sell for? Looking for a possible upgrade and don't have any idea what it might be worth. It has been very well taken care of and there was a year time span since I've owned it that it was in storage. Any responses would be great.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 05-06-2013, 01:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 275 Post(s)
Liked: 220
Not much smile.gif

The XBR4 fan noise would be a dealbreaker for me. XBR5 is better in that regard.
post #3 of 15 Old 05-06-2013, 08:18 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8mile13 View Post

Not much smile.gif

The XBR4 fan noise would be a dealbreaker for me. XBR5 is better in that regard.

My XBR4 has never emitted a fan noise that I have ever heard, and even after you say that putting my head behind the set, I still hear no outlandish fan noise. So my question remains, how much?

post #4 of 15 Old 05-06-2013, 09:07 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 13
You are better off donating to Goodwill and claiming a tax write off. The used market for TVs is non existent.
post #5 of 15 Old 05-06-2013, 10:27 PM

Liked: 15
I had this same set. Bought it around October 2007 at Best Buy - think it was about 2100 new. Sold it around September 2010 on craigslist for 600.

The way tv technology turns over, sets lose their value quite rapidly... I'd say about 33% per year. Your best bet might be to put it on CL. Shipping charges would likely make ebay or Amazon cost prohibitive. The XBR4's selling feature is the 120hz motion - which many buyers are still looking for today. This was one of the first sets that had it. You might be able to get 200 for it, 250 if you're lucky.
post #6 of 15 Old 05-07-2013, 03:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by grizimes 

My XBR4 has never emitted a fan noise that I have ever heard, and even after you say that putting my head behind the set, I still hear no outlandish fan noise. So my question remains, how much?

There are a lot of XBR4 fan noise complaints.The XBR5 has non such problems.
http://www.google.nl/search?q=xbr4++fan+noise&rls=com.microsoft:nl:IE-SearchBox&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&sourceid=ie7&rlz=1I7SNYK&redir_esc=&ei=0dqIUeGcLsrXPffmgcAF
post #7 of 15 Old 05-07-2013, 07:59 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I've owned a 52" XBR4 for 5 years and have never heard even a hint of a fan. As for the original question, recently in the Denver area, a 52" XBR5 sold on Craigslist in two days supposedly for about $500. The posted pictures showed it in pristine condition.
post #8 of 15 Old 05-09-2013, 10:17 AM - Thread Starter

Appreciate all the input, I was afraid when I asked it wouldn't be much. I've spent the last year and a half upgrading my speakers, and now have moved on to upgrading my tv. Guess I'm just going to have to find a spot for it somewhere else because I would not sell it for a couple hundred bucks. It is a fantastic TV though, and again I have had zero issue with fan noise, and even putting my head behind it cannot hear anything.

post #9 of 15 Old 05-09-2013, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grizimes View Post

Appreciate all the input, I was afraid when I asked it wouldn't be much. I've spent the last year and a half upgrading my speakers, and now have moved on to upgrading my tv. Guess I'm just going to have to find a spot for it somewhere else because I would not sell it for a couple hundred bucks. It is a fantastic TV though, and again I have had zero issue with fan noise, and even putting my head behind it cannot hear anything.

I hear you. I have the 46 XBR4 and it is better than any any of the latest LED tvs out there. I returned the Sony HX 850 that so many people here praise in favor of the Sony XBR4. Its a great TV and the resale value does not do it justice.
post #10 of 15 Old 05-09-2013, 01:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by malcolmp6 

I hear you. I have the 46 XBR4 and it is better than any any of the latest LED tvs out there. I returned the Sony HX 850 that so many people here praise in favor of the Sony XBR4. Its a great TV and the resale value does not do it justice.
The HX850 has a better PQ than the XBR4. And no, the XBR4 is not better than any of the latest LEDs.
post #11 of 15 Old 05-09-2013, 01:35 PM

Quote:

The HX850 has a better PQ than the XBR4. And no, the XBR4 is not better than any of the latest LEDs.

Did you even own any XBR series 4 to 8?

I will tell you some of the pros of the XBR4

- matte screen (non reflective) Can watch TV in bright light with out a mirror effect
- better viewing angles than the HX 850
- Picture quality is subjective. I like the PQ of the XBR 4. More cinema like.

cons -
No 3D. Does not matter.
No Smart TV features.
post #12 of 15 Old 05-09-2013, 06:37 PM - Thread Starter

I couldn't agree more. I love my XBR4. Wouldn't trade it for anything. Except a new Panny plasma 60 series. Had this TV for years and its done me justice. Best TV I've ever seen in a home environment. Only thing is I'm looking for a larger screen, and more options (ex. Smart tv). Any negative opinions I've seen on reviews since I decided to upgrade, I have never had an issue with (fan noise). It is an unbelievable set for its time. Plus the glass bezel is very attractive. 8mile seems to have had bad experiences with this set, and I can't say it's perfect. But, I have nothing bad to say about it.

post #13 of 15 Old 05-09-2013, 07:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by malcolmp6 

Did you even own any XBR series 4 to 8?

I will tell you some of the pros of the XBR4

- matte screen (non reflective) Can watch TV in bright light with out a mirror effect
- better viewing angles than the HX 850
- Picture quality is subjective. I like the PQ of the XBR 4. More cinema like.

cons -
No 3D. Does not matter.
No Smart TV features.

I own a 40X3500 (european XBR5) and a 46X4500 (european XBR8) smile.gif

I certainly enjoyed the X3500 for a while. I keep it in case the X4500 breaks down.

The 46X4500 - Full Array Local Dimming LED - outperformes the X3500 - CCFL -. Picture Quality is not subjective, ask the guys in the Calibration Forum.
Quote:
Originally Posted by grizimes 
I couldn't agree more. I love my XBR4. Wouldn't trade it for anything. Except a new Panny plasma 60 series. Had this TV for years and its done me justice. Best TV I've ever seen in a home environment. Only thing is I'm looking for a larger screen, and more options (ex. Smart tv). Any negative opinions I've seen on reviews since I decided to upgrade, I have never had an issue with (fan noise). It is an unbelievable set for its time. Plus the glass bezel is very attractive. 8mile seems to have had bad experiences with this set, and I can't say it's perfect. But, I have nothing bad to say about it.
I've done a lot of reading in the XBR4/5 thread a while back. The XBR4 had the fan noise reputation. Early XBR5s also had a fan noise problem, which was solved by an update.
post #14 of 15 Old 05-09-2013, 07:20 PM - Thread Starter

That's fine that you've done a lot of reading on the AVS threads and other places. My personal experience with the XBR4, like I've said, and I've had it wall mounted and on the stand, I've had no experience with fan noise. Maybe some folks got some faulty units, I don't know. Mine has been flawless since I purchased it. I'm standing with my ear behind the TV as I write this and I hear nothing. NOTHING. No fan noise. Not even a hum. Please leave your obvious subjective comments to yourself. If you've never owned this screen, how can you speak for it?

post #15 of 15 Old 05-09-2013, 08:38 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:

Wrong! I've been shopping around for a 60" LED or Plasma to replace my 52" XBR4, which was destined for the downstairs exercise area. I've brought home 2 Sony's, 1 Panasonic, and 1 Samsung. All priced around $1500-$2000. All had issues that I don't see with the XBR4. The LEDs off angle viewing is terrible. Significant drop-off about 25 degrees off edge. The more expensive LEDs have screens that rival plasmas for light reflection. Plasma off angle viewing is great, but during the bright Colorado day, it becomes a light mirror. The XBR4 is back on the stand until I see something better that doesn't require me towing a Brink's truck to pay for an alternative.
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page