Stick with Sony hx750 or return? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 05-09-2013, 04:37 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I bought the 46" Sony hx750 but have had color issues with it. Returned it and have the same issues with this one. I didn't know there was an 850 until it was too late. Tried setting suggestions but they seemed to make it worse. Problems are 1) reds and greens seem to be too high,2) black levels week with artifacts, and 3) vivid way to distorted. What's the best tv, if not a Sony, around the same price point? Thanks for any guidance in fixing this one or what would be a better choice of tv.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 05-09-2013, 07:49 PM

Liked: 12
I cannot speak reliably for other brands, but the HX850 is an amazing set for the price. I do not get any flashlighting with the proper settings and game mode is pretty good. Colors are very good. The 850 is a step up from the 750 for sure, not only in picture quality and black levels, but also in design. Also the 850 has faster motion processing, not that it matters much...
post #3 of 6 Old 05-09-2013, 08:13 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks Greg but my problem is that I didn't know about the 850 and now it's discontinued. So I'm trying to figure out if I should keep this 750 and try and find someone to work with some of the settings to make it look better or switch to another brand. I don't know much about all these new tv's. I just want solid blacks, good color, and no blur. Sony seemed to fit the bill I just missed out on the 850....
post #4 of 6 Old 05-09-2013, 08:16 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdf420 View Post

I bought the 46" Sony hx750 but have had color issues with it. Returned it and have the same issues with this one. I didn't know there was an 850 until it was too late. Tried setting suggestions but they seemed to make it worse. Problems are 1) reds and greens seem to be too high,2) black levels week with artifacts, and 3) vivid way to distorted. What's the best tv, if not a Sony, around the same price point? Thanks for any guidance in fixing this one or what would be a better choice of tv.

I ended up with an 850 but originally was impressed with the 750 and intended to purchase it until there was a sale with the 850 only $200 more.

I think they are very close in quality and picture is very similar.

It's odd to hear you feel there is red and green colour push when it's widely acknowledged that these Sony sets have apparent blue push. My set has very accurate red and green, there is a very slight blue tinge to the whites and my only gripe with the picture is blues (especially hockey games the blues against the white ice looked a tad crushed) so very unusual you have had issue with two sets.

Have you tried the CNET settings for the 850 on the 750? My settings are based off theirs but tweaked slightly with blues backed off quite a bit actually.

what settings are you using? what are your sources?
post #5 of 6 Old 05-09-2013, 08:25 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdf420 View Post

Thanks Greg but my problem is that I didn't know about the 850 and now it's discontinued. So I'm trying to figure out if I should keep this 750 and try and find someone to work with some of the settings to make it look better or switch to another brand. I don't know much about all these new tv's. I just want solid blacks, good color, and no blur. Sony seemed to fit the bill I just missed out on the 850....

Unless you are using your TV to surf the internet a lot, have a lot of sunlight behind your seating area or are concerned about electricity bills, I would strongly suggest looking at a plasma tv. As much as I love my Sony HX850 and think it is one of the best looking most natural looking LED tvs I have come across, it is not a plasma when it comes to natural looking colours, detail and fast moving images. Close, but a good plasma (heck even the cheap ones!) is hard to beat. If I wasn't using my tv as my computer monitor I would take a plasma every day of the week. The 2013 Panasonic plasmas sound like the best ones yet too.

Although a major downside with plasmas is the unfortunately limited screen size options these days if you want less than 50"
post #6 of 6 Old 05-09-2013, 09:18 PM - Thread Starter

I've seriously considered a plasma but I can't seem to find one that will give me the brightness of an LED. I like a bright picture on somethings like when watching a day game or the news and anything over 47" I think would be too big. It's a bedroom tv. This sucks, i just don't know what to go with......
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page