Matte Screen or *really* non-reflective LED or Plasma TVs? (55-65 inch) - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 30 Old 05-13-2013, 08:39 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
It seems like most companies have stopped making matte screen TVs. I have a room with 14 windows, plus a big opening to another room with 5 more windows. There is no way I'm getting blinds/curtains for 19 windows. So I need a TV that will do okay with a lot of light in the room, and a lot of windows across from it. Any tips? Any specific TV recommendations?

(There was another thread on this over a year ago, but most of the TVs recommended there are no longer made and sold. See: http://www.avsforum.com/t/1391234/need-help-choosing-a-matte-screen-3d-tv-or-non-reflective-plasma-screen if interested in the older thread.)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 30 Old 05-13-2013, 08:47 AM - Thread Starter

P.S. Maybe more specific questions:
- Do you know any matte screen TVs? Are they good TVs?
- Do you know of any technologies that will serve the same (non-reflective, light-scattering) purpose as a matte screen? How are they?

Thanks!
post #3 of 30 Old 05-13-2013, 11:38 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Sony HX 750, Sony W802a, Samsung UN50EH5000.
post #4 of 30 Old 05-13-2013, 11:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 632 Post(s)
Liked: 848
I think some of the Sharp LED's might have matte screens. I think the reason a lot of companies are not using matte screens is that it effects the black levels.
post #5 of 30 Old 05-13-2013, 01:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 51
I also want/need a matte screen. I have a Samsung ES6150 which I didn't think would be so bad, but it's not working in the house. Most or maybe all Samsungs have a semi-matte screen so I don't think you'll see much difference between their different models.

Someone thought the new Sony 550 series was matte. But I looked at them yesterday & they are similar to the Samsung.

Sharp is the most matte looking I've seen. But they are not all identical. One of my stops yesterday was at HH Gregg. They had a 60" and 70" Sharp, one above the other & both were the same model series, something like 775 or 755. But the 60" looked a lot more reflective than the 70". Perhaps it's the angle the store lighting was hitting the screens, or maybe different sizes use different makes of screens. But look carefully before you make a decision. And it appears some Sharp's have a matte bezel which I also prefer.

Let us know what you find.
post #6 of 30 Old 05-13-2013, 02:10 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the tips so far. I contacted LG, Samsung, Sony and Panasonic via email a few days ago. So far, this is the information they have sent back:

- LG Customer service responded that they don't offer any matte screens.
- Panasonic responded that they don't offer matte screens, but that their ST, GT and VT series TVs "have advanced light filters that reduce glare from light sources."
- Sony responded with a whole list of series that have matte screens, but I searched for every single one and they all seem to be out of production at this point. (For completeness, the list is: KDL-xxBX320, KDL-xxBX325, KDL-xxBX420, KDL-xxBX421, KDL-xxEX520, KDL-xxEX521, KDL-xxEX523, KDL-xxEX620, KDL-xxEX621, KDL-xxEX720, KDL-xxEX723)

I'm still waiting on Samsung, and I couldn't get the email question form to work on the Sharp website.
post #7 of 30 Old 05-13-2013, 02:29 PM - Thread Starter

Oh, just heard back from Samsung:

- Samsung customer service said they do not produce any matte screen finish television models.

Sharp website every once in a while mentions the "semi-matte" screen finish in the Q&A on certain models. I'd love to get a list of which models have that, so I'll try to reach their customer service reps again. I'll share whatever I learn here. I think Mike99's right that it's important to see the tvs in person, but at least this will give us a list of tvs to ask about (e.g. call store up and ask "Do you have one of these in stock that I can come look at?" before making the trip to the store).

Also, Malcolmp6's suggestions are perfect because they are still being sold. I'm not sure why the various manufacturers didn't tell me about them - maybe they're being sold from old stock but are not actually made anymore?
post #8 of 30 Old 05-13-2013, 05:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Reflectivity is all relative. Maybe Sharp call's their semi-matte, but just about every Sharp model I've seen appears to be more matte than other makes with semi-matte screens.

I forgot to mention that some Vizio models look more matte than other models and other brands. Of course they may not be as matte as you would like. Best Buy had a 60" E601I-A3 which looked less reflective than the 50" E500I-A1that was below it. I looked from many angles & the 60" always looked less reflective. According to their website they don't make a 50" with a model "1I-A3. IOW maybe different panel makes or coatings are used on different sizes.

Take a look at several different 60" Sharp models & see if any of them may work for you. I would really consider one but 60" is too big for my room. I have an old Sony LCD RPTV and really like the matte screen & bezel and may just end up keeping it going as long as possible.
post #9 of 30 Old 05-13-2013, 06:08 PM - Thread Starter

Here is what Sharp customer service said:

- Sharp: "The models that would have the matte finish between 55"-65" would be LC52LE640U,LC60Le600u, LC60LE640U, also the LC60LE650U."

Note, this doesn't include the one I saw on their website that is semi-matte, so I think they really are giving me the matte matte ones in this list. Anyway, clearly I need to go look at some Sharp TVs! From what I had read online I though they weren't quite as high quality as Samsung, Sony, LG and Panasonic, so I hadn't been looking at them. But maybe those articles were focusing a lot on stuff that matte screens make worse!!
post #10 of 30 Old 06-18-2013, 10:21 AM

I was looking for a comprehensive list of new model tvs that were matte as well. Thanks for contacting all those manufacturers.

I actually have a Sharp 46" LC-46D64U (matte screen) that I really really like. Picture is awesome - many friends who spent more on Sony or other high end tvs at the time said mine looked better. It's ~5 years old now and not big enough at our new house. The LC-60LE650 (Costco/Sams Club version = LC-60C6500U I think) seems to be the only current production model from the list you posted in the 60" range. Did you end up getting one of these or do something else?

I bought a 42" Panasonic Plasma TC-P42S60 for the bedroom which has one window and the glare is just annoying as hell - even when just using a table side lamp at night. This TV was supposed to be ~$750 originally but Sears had it marked down to $400 with $100 back in store credit.. still going to return it. Maybe it's just a bad example of a glossy screen but I can't stand it.

*EDIT*
Just got off the phone with Sharp customer support and they said all of their non-3d tvs are semi-matte. My original LC-46D64U was a semi-matte as well (they never offered a full matte tv apparently). Also, this is my first post since joining in 2007 lol. See you all in 6 years!
post #11 of 30 Old 06-18-2013, 06:03 PM
AVS Special Member

I've looked at Sharps & think they are the most-matte screens that are currently available. All the others seem to be a notch shinier & only small degrees of glossiness separates them.

But it's all relative. I thought the Sharp was going to be the holy grail of matteness. But when I got the 52" home it was still quite a bit more reflective than my old Sony. IIRC years ago all or just about all LCDs were really matte. I think the semi-matte (or what I would call semi-glossy) does help give the picture a little more punch, but I have to turn off almost every light in the house in order to watch TV. From my experience, & from what I've read, watching TV in a really dark room causes eye strain.

And if I do watch TV in the daytime I see half of my kitchen reflected in a glossy TV screen. I'm not against glossy screens per se, but they don't work for me, & obviously other people with windows.

I thought about trying something like this but would like to see how it looks in person.
http://www.nushield.com/film_comparison.php

At the moment I'm probably going to hang onto the old Sony as long as I can.
post #12 of 30 Old 10-07-2013, 08:12 PM

Hi
I'd rather not start a new thread.
Any development in the last four months? Have any new 60+inch tv been launched with a matte or semi-matte screen?
Thanks
post #13 of 30 Old 10-23-2013, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefx73 View Post

Hi
I'd rather not start a new thread.
Any development in the last four months? Have any new 60+inch tv been launched with a matte or semi-matte screen?
Thanks

Ditto. I'm looking to purchase a 55" that will go in a room with big windows. Any suggestions? Or something similar to ratings as seen here: http://www.rtings.com/info/tv-reflections-matte-vs-glossy
post #14 of 30 Old 10-24-2013, 04:46 AM
AVS Special Member

The manufacturers say the glossy or semi-matte (which IMHO is really semi-glossy) helps with picture quality. And it probably does in a dark room. But if there's any reflections on the screen then to me it does not help with PQ. If you can't see the picture how can that be better?

My old Sony RP LCD had a really matte screen which was great. While you might notice the PQ was slightly washed out if there was a lot of light in the room at least you could still see the picture. My new Samsung looks horrible by comparison during daytime or if there are any lights on at night time.

I did a search some time ago & found a company which made several different anti-reflective films to apply to laptop screens & TV screens. Something to cover a 40 - 50" screen costs over $100. I did not want to stick something to the front of brand new TV screen as I don't know if it could be removed without damaging the screen. Another thing I found was using a sheet of anti-glare or anti-reflective plastic in front of the screen. But that was not cheap either.

I close all the window shades for daytime viewing and turn off most lights at night. I also use a rear bias light if watching a really dark movie. That way I can turn off all the house lights & still have some room light. Most sources say watching a TV in a completely dark room causes eyestrain & it does for me. So the bias light is used when needed.

Anyway I have never found a new HDTV with a nice matte screen.
post #15 of 30 Old 10-24-2013, 07:05 AM

I love my 20" Dell 2007FP. The level of matte-ness is perfect. Reflections are kept to a minimum, even with windows behind me. I'd love to know which screens are similar. Maybe a trip to a store is required.
post #16 of 30 Old 01-05-2014, 11:06 AM

Hello. 

I just recently purchased a Samsung 7000 series HDTV.  I like its features, but the glossy screen is quite annoying. 

Has anyone had any luck with anti-glare or matte screen films to apply to their HDTV screen?  I am looking at this - http://www.photodon.com/p/MXH-5675-01K.html

Thanks!

~San

post #17 of 30 Old 01-05-2014, 11:10 AM

Hello.

I just recently purchased a Samsung 7100 series set.  I like its features, however, the glossy screen is quite annoying.

Has anyone tried (and had any luck with) anti-glare/matte films to apply to their HDTV screen?  I am looking at this:

w w w.photodon.com/p/MXH-5675-01K.html

And am curious to know of any success stories!

Thanks!

~San

post #18 of 30 Old 01-05-2014, 07:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanpanico View Post

Hello. 

I just recently purchased a Samsung 7000 series HDTV.  I like its features, but the glossy screen is quite annoying. 

Has anyone had any luck with anti-glare or matte screen films to apply to their HDTV screen?  I am looking at this - http://www.photodon.com/p/MXH-5675-01K.html

Thanks!

~San

There's also the Nushield that I mentioned in message #11.

And there's mention of another film here.
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1501938/forget-4k-all-i-want-is-1080p-with-no-glare

I wish these films were cheaper. But I'd still be reluctant to stick it to the plastic screen of a brand new TV.
post #19 of 30 Old 01-06-2014, 09:31 AM

I just bought a 75" Samsung UN75F6300 and I'm so upset, I can barely watch TV at all during the day, and at night any light nearby needs to be turned off.  Coming from a Sharp Lc-60le832u 60" I feel like I've completely downgraded, and burned money doing so.   I have windows along two walls, floor to ceiling, and I don't want blinds or window covers.  Not to mention the cost of them.   

The Lc-60le832u is a beautiful matte screen, and the picture quality was great.  This new Samsung is bright sure, but I can't say I like the PQ anymore, probably less. and the glossy screen is a total dealbreaker.  

post #20 of 30 Old 01-08-2014, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garuda613 View Post

...The Lc-60le832u is a beautiful matte screen, and the picture quality was great.  This new Samsung is bright sure, but I can't say I like the PQ anymore, probably less. and the glossy screen is a total dealbreaker.  

I am wondering if matte screens mask details in an on screen image (read: sub-par source content like non HD cable programming), similar to the way flat paint on a wall masks imperfections as compared to satin or glossy paint finishes.  A crude analogy to be sure, but think about it!

For as much calibration and fiddling as I've done to this Samsung UN55F7100, I still find the picture quality lacking when compared to my Samsung LN46C630.  The new Samsung is feature rich, and I really dig the Smart functionality (which I have yet to really play around with to its full potential), but I have yet to achieve a quality picture.  The TVs sure do look nice at the Magnolia display at Best Buy, but once you get them home...it's a different story.

@Mike99, thanks for your reply.  Yes, I had looked at NuShield, but I also am considering the Photodon because they include a "test film".  I suppose either would be comparable.  I do not see any discernable difference in quality just by looking at their respective websites.  More research forthcoming...

post #21 of 30 Old 01-08-2014, 12:50 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanpanico View Post

I am wondering if matte screens mask details in an on screen image (read: sub-par source content like non HD cable programming), similar to the way flat paint on a wall masks imperfections as compared to satin or glossy paint finishes.  A crude analogy to be sure, but think about it!

Glossy screens seem to be the trend in high-end TVs lately and it's done for the sake of picture quality. Any thing you do to diffuse light hitting the screen will also diffuse light coming out of the screen, thus resulting in a picture that is less sharp and clear. Reflections can be a real PITA. however.
post #22 of 30 Old 01-11-2014, 11:18 PM

80le642u sharp today side by side to my un75f6300 Samsung and the sharp was a nice matte. Same price at retail here at costco Canada as well. Too bad I'd not had the chance at time of purchase. I'd have bought another sharp, especially to get the extra 5 inches in a heartbeat, and known they're generally a nice matte screen.

I read a nonsense review on Amazon where the guy had said the 6300 Samsung was a matte screen.. Ugh. Anyways. I'm now stuck with a hugely disappointing TV at almost 3k out of pocket. Like a kick in the teeth.

Can't imagine applying film. Will be easy. Hard to apply without bubbles on a cell phone.. Let alone 75" screen
post #23 of 30 Old 02-26-2014, 05:36 AM

Any updates on which currently available TV's have the least reflective screens? It sounds like there were moth-eye TV's from Philips and Sharp but I don't see any indication that those are still in production. 

post #24 of 30 Old 04-09-2014, 10:50 AM

I didn't read every post, so I might be repeating what's been said, but I've got a Sharp LED in my bedroom and it's awesome. Looking on the back and it says model: LC22LE510K -- if that helps.

I bought it a few years back from Amazon for around £125. Thing is, it's only a 21 or 22". You could argue that's why it's a good picture, but I doubt it. I think it's far more to do with quality and the matte screen, because I have another small LED and it's not a patch on this one -- in fact, it's awful. So there must be something about it.

When I got it, I was quite shocked at how plastic and fake the screen looks, and thought it was a cover of some kind that needed removed. It's that odd looking. You really can't imagine how a picture appears on it or how it can be so matte yet provide a great picture.

Incidentally, I looked for a bigger one after buying a rubbish 32" LG for the living room (hate LG), but couldn't find one. So I'm thinking they probably only do the small one. Which is a shame, because it's the best TV in the house.
post #25 of 30 Old 04-23-2014, 09:33 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Are there any matte screens among the TV's being released in 2014?

Even semi-matte?

I have a 60" Sharp and I purchased the older model intentionally to get the matte screen, it's a great TV but at some point I would like to upgrade (really hoping for at matte OLED at some point, or the famed 'motheye' tech).

/Martin
post #26 of 30 Old 04-29-2014, 04:50 PM

Has anyone tried the nonglare stick on screens from Glarestopper

post #27 of 30 Old 04-29-2014, 04:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked: 118
There is a niche market for True Matte Screen LCD TVs. If they made them with S-PVA or MVA panels, they would have deep enough blacks natively so they would not need filters.

Hint, hint.

Vizio VP322 Plasma / Vizio GV42LF LCD / Denon 2200 Silicon Image DVD / Panasonic S97 Faroudja Genesis DVD / Oppo 970HD Mediatek DVD / Oppo 983H Anchor Bay DVD / Panasonic LX-600 Laserdisc / Aiwa MX100 Multi-region VCR / JVC S7600 S-VHS / PS2 / Sega Genesis / Nintendo SNES / Roku 2 XS & HD-XR / Realistic STA-90 Reciever / Realistic Minimus 7 / Antennacraft G1483 Hoverman / Belden 7915A RG6 / Channel Master 7777 Titan 2 UHF/VHF / Panasonic AX-200u / Optoma Graywolf 92" / Draper Luma 92"
post #28 of 30 Old 08-04-2014, 02:49 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
matte screen 2014 tvs

I am also looking for matte screen for a bright room. So far, here's what I've found (I'm targeting 60" sets, but this info should apply to other sizes):

-Sharp has matte or semi matte screens. The lower end models tend to be more matte, but none of them are reflective as the typical screens of most TVs.
I am considering the Q10 series, I can't see how the Q15 picture is any better, and Q17 is less matte and way to much of a price jump for any picture quality improvement that I could see. The 650 series is also very matte, but in side by side, the Q10 looked a little better to me, for not much of a price difference.

-Vizio E series are matte, and the M series for 2014 has switched to a semi matte screen that is not as matte as the Sharps or the Vizio E series, but should be acceptable. M-series is getting very good reviews.

-Sony KDL60W850B has a very matte screen, even a matte bezel. Only issue for me is the "wedge" shape of the TV. From the side, it looks like an isosceles triangle. I don't mind the wedge so much aesthetically, but if using it on the stand, it puts the screen at a small upward angle. If wall mounted, the wedge shape might look pretty weird. Sony does have other matte screens, but this model had a good price to picture quality ratio ($1400 at Frys). I'd have to research more to see if they have an equivalent model w/o the wedge design.

Samsung 6300 series has semi-matte screen, but I returned a 2013 version because of video processing artifacts and the annoying way the back light noticeably switches off when the scene is dark and on when the scene switches to brighter. The only was to turn that off was to put the TV in "movie" setting. The higher end Samsungs are better, but very reflective.

I am leaning towards trying the Vizio, mostly because I can get it at Costco and if I regret it they are easy for returns. I don't know if Best Buy would be very happy with me returning to big screen TVs in two years. I also want check out other Sony models before I buy.
post #29 of 30 Old 08-13-2014, 04:37 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
I ended up buying the 75" Samsung F8000.

The reflections are there but I can live with it, as they don't ruin the experience.

I have also installed a curtain on the window exactly opposite of the screen, that helps.

Now I'm just waiting for a new 77" 4K OLED, with Moth-Eye tech

/Martin
post #30 of 30 Old 08-13-2014, 07:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 231 Post(s)
Liked: 217
For future visitors with this question the Sharp 70UD1 UHDTV is a matte screen - I heard it was and confirmed with actual owners on six Amazon owners of this model that it is matte and very likely the 70UD27 will also. Really like my Samsung 65F8000 but I do miss my old Sharp 57" that was matte as I had zero reflections during daytime viewing especially since I'm retired now in Sunny FL where I have zero control over the lighting with tall and wide windows from every direction all day.

I realize the HU9000 likely will have superior PQ and 78" size vs 70" but sometimes during the day the FN reflections can be maddening when your viewing all day and not at work. Plus there is another thing I miss about my Sharp matte is that viewing it had more of a peering into a window vs the flat 2D impression of a reflective panel, my 57" seemed larger and more immersive from it's matte surface with wows even 5 yrs later that the larger Samsung reflective panel. Samsung has more Pop but the matte screen was more immersive and felt larger. Too bad virtually every panel has gone reflective with almost no options.

To be honest, after having upgraded to larger 60D8000 and added a second larger 65F8000 though significantly larger and can deliver eye popping color/pop neither has delivered a HT immersiveness that my 57" matte screen Sharp did despite it's weaker blacks it delivered the goods when it came to HT IMMERSION. My point is despite size differential neither Samsung has ever equaled the smaller Sharp with IMMERSION - in my case the math of a larger size hasn't meant JACK - a lesson learned that size alone and PQ Pop does not necessarily = IMMERSION. It seems whatever Samsung does the pack follows like lemmings.

Samsung 65F8000, 60D8000, 40HU6350, Panasonic 50E60 LCD's

Last edited by westa6969; 08-13-2014 at 07:23 AM.
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Sony Bravia 40inch Led Tv 3d Support Bravia Hx750 Kdl 40hx750 , Sony Kdl 55w802a 55 Inch Led Hdtv , Samsung 50 Inch Led Hdtv Un50eh5000
Gear in this thread - Un50eh5000 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page