What are some of the best 70inch TV's? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 2 Old 05-14-2013, 06:23 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm in the market for a new TV, I've ruled out plasma's already due to the type of viewing I would be doing (sports channels/gaming) so LED is the next best option. The theater room that the new set would be going into has no windows with controlled lighting in case anyone is wondering, viewing distance would be about 11-12ft. I had my mind set on a Sharp 80 inch LE633U with full array backlighting (no local dimming) but I've read mixed reviews about clouding, blacks and motion blur and it might be a bit big for how far I'd be seated. So I'm now looking into a 70inch LED TV, there is a wider selection in this range which is great but to be honest it just get's confusing with all the different models and conflicting reviews. I'm hoping I can get a helping hand from the people here to make this process a little more enjoyable since so far it's just been more stressful then anything. Some info that might help: my budget for the TV is $3500-$4000max, it is going in a "theater room" with controlled lighting (no windows) but it will still be my everyday TV, I do value picture quality, 3D is not a priority.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 05-15-2013, 01:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaspal86 View Post

I'm in the market for a new TV, I've ruled out plasma's already due to the type of viewing I would be doing (sports channels/gaming) so LED is the next best option. The theater room that the new set would be going into has no windows with controlled lighting in case anyone is wondering, viewing distance would be about 11-12ft. I had my mind set on a Sharp 80 inch LE633U with full array backlighting (no local dimming) but I've read mixed reviews about clouding, blacks and motion blur and it might be a bit big for how far I'd be seated. So I'm now looking into a 70inch LED TV, there is a wider selection in this range which is great but to be honest it just get's confusing with all the different models and conflicting reviews. I'm hoping I can get a helping hand from the people here to make this process a little more enjoyable since so far it's just been more stressful then anything. Some info that might help: my budget for the TV is $3500-$4000max, it is going in a "theater room" with controlled lighting (no windows) but it will still be my everyday TV, I do value picture quality, 3D is not a priority.

Since 3D is not a priority, I would suggest looking at displays from Sharp, Sony, and Vizio. I am surprised at how much more televisions are up north than they are here in the States. If you take a look at the LC80LE633U, it can be had for some fairly attractive pricing. Based on your seating distance, the 80 inch would actually work for you. I'm 11 feet away from my 70, which is a comfortable viewing distance, but I really wanted the 80 inch.

The best 70 inch LED television was the Elite PRO-X5FD - sadly, it has been discontinued.

Sharp LC70LE650U
http://www.futureshop.ca/en-CA/product/sharp-sharp-70-1080p-120hz-led-smart-tv-lc70le650u-lc70le650u/10244683.aspx?path=d91ff987907aca99ff26eb20818aa730en02&SearchPageIndex=1

Sony KDL70R550A (Passive 3D)
http://www.futureshop.ca/en-CA/product/sony-sony-70-1080p-120hz-3d-led-smart-tv-kdl70r550a-kdl70r550a/10245472.aspx?path=19e6d0c577f8a23925cb775810efc17een02

I could not find a vendor supplying the 70 inch Vizio panels in Canada - but at your price point, even though 3D is not at the top of your list, most of the panels from Sharp would fit the bill.
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Sharp Aquos 60 Led 1080p 240hz Hdtv Lc 60le633u , Sharp Elite Black 70inch Pro 70x5fd Flat Panel 3d Led Hdtv , Sharp He 6 Series Lc70le650u 70 Inch Led Smart Tv , Sony Kdl 70r550a 70 Inch Led Hdtv , Sharp Elite Pro 60x5fd 3d Led Hdtv
Gear in this thread - 70x5fd by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page