Official Sony [X9] XBR-55X900A / XBR-65X900A Owner's Thread - Page 103 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 10-25-2013, 02:06 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 138 Post(s)
Liked: 201
I can't get clear audio straight to the TV speakers, nor back to the AVR through the TV using optical or ARC.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-25-2013, 02:14 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 35

how is the audio from other sources, when connected to HDMI 4? eg if you connect a BR to the same port the X1 is on is the audio still dropping out?

Old 10-25-2013, 03:19 PM

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Is it possible that Sony using different panels for the 65X900? From my point of view I think that the viewing angle and contrast is sometimes better on other 65X900 models.
Old 10-25-2013, 03:36 PM

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreaux View Post

I am on my second X1 and still can't get audio out of HDMI 2. It worked for 20 minutes and just dropped out. But I do have audio through the speakers/optical out. But with optical out I only get 2 channel stereo going into my AVR.
It's clear the X1 has a problem with audio on some units.

I should add I tried 3 different AVR's taking in HDMI 2 from the X1 and it didn't work on any of them.

Try disconnecting the HDMI Output of the AV receiver to the TV and see if this stops the intermittent audio.

BR,
Paul from Sony
Old 10-25-2013, 04:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by 400MHz MAN View Post

Try disconnecting the HDMI Output of the AV receiver to the TV and see if this stops the intermittent audio.

BR,
Paul from Sony

Tried that, thanks. I got to level 2 with Sony and they decided to send me to level 3. Waited 45 minutes and then go disconnected by someone. Frustrating.
I also get an error message when I try and play either "Bad Teacher" or "Bridge over the River Kwai". They won't play.
Old 10-25-2013, 04:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by flinchn View Post

I can't get clear audio straight to the TV speakers, nor back to the AVR through the TV using optical or ARC.

Do you happen to have the Directv receiver Genie? Sony told me that can cause intermittent interference. Also some Pioneer AVRs have been known to be a problem with the X1.
Old 10-25-2013, 04:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 181 Post(s)
Liked: 249
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreaux View Post

"Lawrence of Arabia" was originally shot in 70mm (as well as a number of films in the 50's and 60's) and is technically 8K. If a good print of one of those films is found and that's not easily done, a 4K scan can be done. I am hoping Sony can get the rights to some of these films (like Cleopatra, Ben-Hur , 10 Commandments and West Side Story) and then re-scan them properly we would be in for a treat. These older films are also a great source of content. smile.gif

We also have the upcoming "World Cup" being broadcast in 4K.

Warners already did an 8K scan (6K finish) for William Wyler's Ben Hur, and it looks quite spectacular in 1080p. AFAIK original negative still exists for all of the films you've mentioned, so there's no need to "find a good print".

Anyhoo, readers may remember me talking up the Low LED control setting on the TV, but I've changed my mind and gone back to Standard. Even though the more reactive backlight can be a distraction with certain content the black level is undeniably better, which also helps to reduce the noticeable backlight bleed I get at the sides of the frame.

Calibration results are also improved, as I was getting a significant delta error at 10% on the grey scale which I couldn't correct on Low, but as soon as I went back to Standard the delta error was no worse than the rest, i.e. it's excellent. The gamma tended to droop at either end of the scale on Low, whereas it's practically ruler flat on Standard.
Old 10-25-2013, 05:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1029 Post(s)
Liked: 898

Darn it, Geoff, just when I thought I was done calibrating my set, you have to introduce an element of doubt.  ;)

So, I have three calibrations that I can call up:

- LED Control=Standard, Gamma=2.2 (gamma setting 0)

- LED Control=Low, Gamma=2.2 (gamma setting 0)

- LED Control=Low, Gamma=2.4 (gamma setting -2)

I have been using the last of the three for the past week, and have been quite happy.  PQ has been stunning on most content.

So, the only calibration I haven't tried is LED Control=Standard, Gamma=2.4.  Is this what you are using now?  I have to admit, as long as I adjust the Backlight to get approximately the same Luminance (~40), I have a hard time differentiating one calibration from another.  BTW, all special settings are still set to Off except for Reality Creation, which I currently have set to Auto.

Can you recommend any specific content or test disks that help you decide which calibration is best (other than the results screens from the calibration software, of course)?

Here are the results of the three calibrations, in the same order as listed above:

Old 10-25-2013, 05:20 PM

Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 64
Well guys, I am back into the Sony camp with my 900a 65". I went through 2 Panasonic's which both suffered from vertical lines on the screen. Then another forum member got one from the UK and his set had vertical lines. I was going to try a 3rd, but it is just too odd that 3 sets all have the same issue. I still stand that the Panasonic had a great picture and gaming at 4k at 60fps was unreal, but not at the cost of having lines through the screen. So I am back with my Sony and am happy to use a screen that does not have issues with it. I was lucky to get my previously returned set and got to give the people at my local Best Buy a shout out because they were AMAZING. They even offered to let me buy back my Sony at the discount rate for open box items, which saved me $500.00 bucks. They did not have to do this and I even said that was not necessary, but they said it was no problem and they know I buy a lot from them.

So now I wait for the HDMI 2.0 update and for Nvidia to make a GPU with HDMI 2.0 so I can enjoy 4k at 60fps!

Glad to be back! smile.gif
s9roo likes this.

-Hawkmoon
Old 10-25-2013, 05:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Congratulations, Hawk, and welcome back!
Old 10-25-2013, 06:06 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 21
For the life of me I don't understand how people can buy big ticket items like TVs and heavy duty things that get handled a lot... and be perfectly happy to return the item to a retailer. No wonder we are down to so few retailers. I remember when the breakthrough of that retail commitment to take returns began... but I would not think of abusing retailers like that myself. Customers who do that are draining the profit out of the transactions. I thinks it is cruel to walk into a deal until you are pretty certain... with an off chance that you will have to take advantage of a return policy. Customers like this would be responsible for making costs higher for all of us. Honestly I don't think that there are very many people who do this. Not to mention how much customer TIME is thrown away. I suppose it's a cheap way to gain knowledge. Cheap... is a bad thing though. The entries here show such cold-blooded disinterest in what is good for retailers and manufacturers. It's a clue to the made in china syndrome... which defaults China as the manufacturer to the world. Products of an XBR nature don't come from China unless there are extraordinary manufacturing demands in place... like Apple. People do it with cameras... and clothing, and furniture, and airplane tickets. It seems so clearly immoral to me. No, I don't think consumers should have this luxury. I don't think it's needed to keep commerce in action. How many of you who are happy to do this kind of thing remember retail stores where you got the full hands on experience of a full service sale? I guess I forgive you because you never had full service at all... so you naturally, take... what you can get. We need retail reform. Sorry... I only intend to express wonder that retailers manage. I prefer less movement of heavy stuff. I would never buy an open box. This stuff is not built for that kind of abuse. And... I confess I did return a 400 dollar product this fall without guilty conscience because I so-hated the device. I guess it was this forum that emboldened me. So, after all, thanks for that.
philcox1984 likes this.
Old 10-25-2013, 06:36 PM
AVS Special Member

I you are referring to Hawk, he returned products that were clearly defective. BB will return the products to the manufacturer. What is wrong with that?
Jim1961 likes this.
Old 10-25-2013, 07:19 PM

Liked: 21
The returns I was talking about relate to home testing at the expense of the retailers and the manufacturers.
Old 10-25-2013, 07:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Well, something specific in this up thread must have precipitated your comments. I am unaware of any unethical behavior. Perhaps you could cite some specific examples?
Old 10-25-2013, 09:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobnorth65 View Post

For the life of me I don't understand how people can buy big ticket items like TVs and heavy duty things that get handled a lot... and be perfectly happy to return the item to a retailer. No wonder we are down to so few retailers. I remember when the breakthrough of that retail commitment to take returns began... but I would not think of abusing retailers like that myself. Customers who do that are draining the profit out of the transactions. I thinks it is cruel to walk into a deal until you are pretty certain... with an off chance that you will have to take advantage of a return policy. Customers like this would be responsible for making costs higher for all of us. Honestly I don't think that there are very many people who do this. Not to mention how much customer TIME is thrown away. I suppose it's a cheap way to gain knowledge. Cheap... is a bad thing though. The entries here show such cold-blooded disinterest in what is good for retailers and manufacturers. It's a clue to the made in china syndrome... which defaults China as the manufacturer to the world. Products of an XBR nature don't come from China unless there are extraordinary manufacturing demands in place... like Apple. People do it with cameras... and clothing, and furniture, and airplane tickets. It seems so clearly immoral to me. No, I don't think consumers should have this luxury. I don't think it's needed to keep commerce in action. How many of you who are happy to do this kind of thing remember retail stores where you got the full hands on experience of a full service sale? I guess I forgive you because you never had full service at all... so you naturally, take... what you can get. We need retail reform. Sorry... I only intend to express wonder that retailers manage. I prefer less movement of heavy stuff. I would never buy an open box. This stuff is not built for that kind of abuse. And... I confess I did return a 400 dollar product this fall without guilty conscience because I so-hated the device. I guess it was this forum that emboldened me. So, after all, thanks for that.

Are you for real or are you a setup?? You're kidding right? According to your thinking we should buy a big ticket item and if it defective we should keep it to save the manufacturer money?
Old 10-25-2013, 09:42 PM

Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobnorth65 View Post

The returns I was talking about relate to home testing at the expense of the retailers and the manufacturers.

Yeah, I did not do the "home" testing. I have read some people that have done that though. They would buy 2 or 3 different sets at the same time, set them all up at home and run the same exact content and then return the one that they disliked the most. The only set I did return that was not defective was the Sony, which in the end, I bought my returned one back from them because of the issues with Panasonic. I personally felt bad having to return the number of sets that I did, but when the Store Manager himself tells me "no problem" or "we just want you get what you are happy with", that is more about taking care of the customer versus taking advantage of a return policy. I mean they even said I could get my $6,000+ back to my Credit Card if I wanted too. That is some impeccable customer service to me.

-Hawkmoon
Old 10-25-2013, 11:02 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 14
From support.apple.com
Old 10-25-2013, 11:18 PM

Liked: 10
Hey everyone...quick question and apologize if the question has been answered in previous threads already.... I am considering the 65x900 for a basement redo and had a quick question regarding the 4K player and connections. I have all my components on the other side of room in a rack and already have a 52ft AQ cinnamon pre-wired in ceiling from Marantz SR7008 output to potential display for blu ray, cable, etc. Now, I most likely have to run another cable to connect the player to the TV to activate the signal to the player to receiver this content. it seems that many people (primarily pioneers) that are having trouble receiving the audio signal into their avr using hdmi 2 for audio output. will there potentially be a problem if i run a long cable and have the player in the rack with other products and use a short AQ cable into avr for sound??? will i lose picture by running that content over such a long wire run, Or... should i keep the player closer to TV and use the long run for audio???
Any suggestions or feedback would be greatly appreciated.
Old 10-26-2013, 02:01 AM

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by UdoG View Post

Is it possible that Sony using different panels for the 65X900? From my point of view I think that the viewing angle and contrast is sometimes better on other 65X900 models.

What did you think about my question? Any comments?

Thanks.
Old 10-26-2013, 07:17 AM

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by HTGeek7 View Post

Hey everyone...quick question and apologize if the question has been answered in previous threads already.... I am considering the 65x900 for a basement redo and had a quick question regarding the 4K player and connections. I have all my components on the other side of room in a rack and already have a 52ft AQ cinnamon pre-wired in ceiling from Marantz SR7008 output to potential display for blu ray, cable, etc. Now, I most likely have to run another cable to connect the player to the TV to activate the signal to the player to receiver this content. it seems that many people (primarily pioneers) that are having trouble receiving the audio signal into their avr using hdmi 2 for audio output. will there potentially be a problem if i run a long cable and have the player in the rack with other products and use a short AQ cable into avr for sound??? will i lose picture by running that content over such a long wire run, Or... should i keep the player closer to TV and use the long run for audio???

I have always been told to keep your interconnects short and your speaker runs longer. So the source should be closer to the TV. But that has always been for audio interconnects. Not so sure with an HDMI cable. For me I would still follow that rule.
Old 10-26-2013, 07:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HTGeek7 View Post

Not quite the same situation that you describe, but I have a 30-ft Redmere HDMI cable from the Media Player to the X900, and then a short HDMI cable from the Player to my AVR.  No issues.

Old 10-26-2013, 07:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinJerry View Post

Darn it, Geoff, just when I thought I was done calibrating my set, you have to introduce an element of doubt.  ;)

So, the only calibration I haven't tried is LED Control=Standard, Gamma=2.4.

Here are the results of the calibration with LED Control=Standard, Gamma= -2.  Seems to be spot-on:

Old 10-26-2013, 07:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 181 Post(s)
Liked: 249
Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinJerry View Post

Darn it, Geoff, just when I thought I was done calibrating my set, you have to introduce an element of doubt.  wink.gif

I have been using the last of the three for the past week, and have been quite happy.  PQ has been stunning on most content.

So, the only calibration I haven't tried is LED Control=Standard, Gamma=2.4.  Is this what you are using now?  I have to admit, as long as I adjust the Backlight to get approximately the same Luminance (~40), I have a hard time differentiating one calibration from another.  BTW, all special settings are still set to Off except for Reality Creation, which I currently have set to Auto.

Can you recommend any specific content or test disks that help you decide which calibration is best (other than the results screens from the calibration software, of course)?

Yes, I'm using Standard and 2.4. You'll notice that with the Low setting and a gamma of 2.4 you're getting higher delta errors in the greyscale. The darker 2.4 gamma is done no favours by the brighter picture on Low as it unbalances the greyscale, whereas 2.2 is light enough anyway to absorb the subtle difference between the Low and Standard settings, producing near-identical results.

And I can see from your last post that the results were even better with Standard and 2.2 gamma, which points to the Standard setting being much more stable regarding greyscale in general, which is ironic given how much more the picture backlight can fluctuate using real world content.
Old 10-26-2013, 07:54 AM

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 40
I really wish my MacBook Pro Retina was capable. Don't want to purchase another one just to see my screen in 4k...
Quote:
Originally Posted by TVAzteca View Post

From support.apple.com
Old 10-26-2013, 08:16 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 528 Post(s)
Liked: 692
Quote:
Originally Posted by UdoG View Post

Sure, an average Joe, like all of us has no clue what goes on in the Sony production plant. Even if we where told one thing, I would have to see it with my own eyes to fully believe.
wase4711 likes this.
Old 10-26-2013, 11:00 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkmoon View Post

Well guys, I am back into the Sony camp with my 900a 65". I went through 2 Panasonic's which both suffered from vertical lines on the screen. Then another forum member got one from the UK and his set had vertical lines. I was going to try a 3rd, but it is just too odd that 3 sets all have the same issue. I still stand that the Panasonic had a great picture and gaming at 4k at 60fps was unreal, but not at the cost of having lines through the screen. So I am back with my Sony and am happy to use a screen that does not have issues with it. I was lucky to get my previously returned set and got to give the people at my local Best Buy a shout out because they were AMAZING. They even offered to let me buy back my Sony at the discount rate for open box items, which saved me $500.00 bucks. They did not have to do this and I even said that was not necessary, but they said it was no problem and they know I buy a lot from them.

So now I wait for the HDMI 2.0 update and for Nvidia to make a GPU with HDMI 2.0 so I can enjoy 4k at 60fps!

Glad to be back! smile.gif

I'm in the opposite situation to you. The 1st 900a I got went up in smoke 2 days after it was delivered. The one I now have developed a horizontal line of dead pixels last night about 4" from the bottom. I'm on the fence as to whether I should try the Panasonic, or wait and see if the next models will offer improvements such as FALD, and easier access to content.

Did your Panasonic's YouTube app play the 4k videos, or like the Sony, just the 1080p?

Old 10-26-2013, 11:53 AM

Patiently waiting for Best Buy to take my X850 and swap it out with the X900... biggrin.gif
Old 10-26-2013, 01:31 PM

Wow, I wasn't sure if I would see too much of a difference between the two tv's, the X900 really has a POP to it. Im so happy I swapped them out. The speakers on the side are already growing on me. I am using AustinJerry's calibration settings and love it. I will play around with the two he has up. Thank you again for posting them AustinJerry, much appreciated. biggrin.gif
Old 10-26-2013, 01:35 PM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by MGTR420 View Post

Wow, I wasn't sure if I would see too much of a difference between the two tv's, the X900 really has a POP to it. Im so happy I swapped them out. The speakers on the side are already growing on me. I am using AustinJerry's calibration settings and love it. I will play around with the two he has up. Thank you again for posting them AustinJerry, much appreciated. biggrin.gif
Did your x900 come with the update ? What month was it made ? Thanks..
Old 10-26-2013, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim1961 View Post

Did your x900 come with the update ? What month was it made ? Thanks..

TV was made in July 2013. It has the media server sticker on the box of the TV. I thought reading back awhile ago that the sticker was a good sign that the TV came with the update. Anyway to tell if it does?

Edit: Checked under the 4kactivation.com and it says my tv is already activated and do not require any service. Not sure if this helps.

Tags
Sony Xbr 65x900a 65 Inch 1080p 120hz 3d Led 4k Ultra Hdtv , Sony Xbr 55x900a 55 Inch 4k Ultra Hd 3d Led Tv