Official Sony [X9] XBR-55X900A / XBR-65X900A Owner's Thread - Page 106 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #3151 of 11472 Old 10-28-2013, 01:35 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 83
thanks, that's what I thought..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3152 of 11472 Old 10-28-2013, 02:35 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 40

I hooked up my pc to the TV today for a few hours.

This is not an easy task because the pc weighs a ton and is in another room.

I played many 4k clips using vlc media player through a Titan video card. Sure the quality is really clear, however the same clips look very good in 1080 too. Is there a huge difference? Not really. 4k content is clearer, no doubt.

Then i played a few first person shooters Far cry 3, and COD. I changed resolution on the graphics card to ultimate.

The 65" looks amazing with these games. The graphics are breath taking.

I did notice considerable lag. For someone like myself who plays competitive first person shooters on a 19" screen, the lag was simply too much.

Also the massive size of this screen would immediately place me at a disadvantage compared to a small screen, because i would have to cover more real estate with the eyes.

I think the TV would be good for all games that are not first person shooters. 

I did notice that with 4k clips, simulated 3d would not work. I prefer to watch the same clips in 1080 using simulated 3d.

This tv along with simulated 3d, gives an amazing picture. Far more amazing than 4k @ 2d.

One of the videos in question was that Dubai Skydive. Looks amazing in 4k, but incredible in simulated 3d.

I think I have finally got this 4k frustration out of me. This is such an amazing tv in 1080...we don't really need 4k. Especially without the simulated 3d.

The PQ, depth of color, and the 3d are the three main strong points this tv has to offer. 

post #3153 of 11472 Old 10-28-2013, 03:51 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by quovadis123 View Post

I hooked up my pc to the TV today for a few hours.
This is not an easy task because the pc weighs a ton and is in another room.

I played many 4k clips using vlc media player through a Titan video card. Sure the quality is really clear, however the same clips look very good in 1080 too. Is there a huge difference? Not really. 4k content is clearer, no doubt.

Then i played a few first person shooters Far cry 3, and COD. I changed resolution on the graphics card to ultimate.

The 65" looks amazing with these games. The graphics are breath taking.

I did notice considerable lag. For someone like myself who plays competitive first person shooters on a 19" screen, the lag was simply too much.
Also the massive size of this screen would immediately place me at a disadvantage compared to a small screen, because i would have to cover more real estate with the eyes.

I think the TV would be good for all games that are not first person shooters. 

I did notice that with 4k clips, simulated 3d would not work. I prefer to watch the same clips in 1080 using simulated 3d.
This tv along with simulated 3d, gives an amazing picture. Far more amazing than 4k @ 2d.

One of the videos in question was that Dubai Skydive. Looks amazing in 4k, but incredible in simulated 3d.

I think I have finally got this 4k frustration out of me. This is such an amazing tv in 1080...we don't really need 4k. Especially without the simulated 3d.

The PQ, depth of color, and the 3d are the three main strong points this tv has to offer. 

Interesting. So many claimed the lag to be low yet reviews claimed it to be high.
post #3154 of 11472 Old 10-28-2013, 04:20 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by vaxick View Post

Interesting. So many claimed the lag to be low yet reviews claimed it to be high.

I'm very sensitive to input lag and would say this tv is average. I've just come from the sony w9 and this feels sluggish in comparison. I've thought about returning to the w9 but this set just looks so god damn good I think I'd regret it if I did.

Ive posted a few times asking if any one can test the input lag in various settings but they doesn't seem to be many serious gamers with this tv.

I know with the w9 some guy bought a Leo input lag tester and tested all various settings and modes and graphics scene came up with the lowest figure although only by a very small margin. He also reported that the sharpness enhancers made no difference but local dimming did.

I'd be interested to find out if SBM made a difference or not but without a Leo tests it's hard to say.

Panasonic ZT65
Onkyo HT-R390
Popcorn hour A-400
SKY HD
Xbox One
Xbox 360
IPAD Air 32GB
Samsung Galaxy S4
Virgin Broadband 120MB
post #3155 of 11472 Old 10-28-2013, 04:36 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasjw View Post

I'm very sensitive to input lag and would say this tv is average. I've just come from the sony w9 and this feels sluggish in comparison. I've thought about returning to the w9 but this set just looks so god damn good I think I'd regret it if I did.

Ive posted a few times asking if any one can test the input lag in various settings but they doesn't seem to be many serious gamers with this tv.

I know with the w9 some guy bought a Leo input lag tester and tested all various settings and modes and graphics scene came up with the lowest figure although only by a very small margin. He also reported that the sharpness enhancers made no difference but local dimming did.

I'd be interested to find out if SBM made a difference or not but without a Leo tests it's hard to say.

Yes but let's face it. Serious gamers do not use tv's to game. 

I use 144hz Asus screens with 1ms refresh rate.

Far Cry 3 this afternoon was beautiful graphics wise, but was unplayable.

post #3156 of 11472 Old 10-28-2013, 04:39 PM

Quote:

This is my concern as I am sensitive to lag as well. I've returned sets in the 30ms range before simply because I could notice the lag. I recall the time I bought Binary Domain for the PS3 and thought the controls felt sluggish on the new display I got. Hooked my PS3 up to my HD CRT and it was a whole different game. Controls felt snappy and the game felt noticeably faster.

It's my concern with both of Sony's 4K models because I am primarily a console gamer. If the lag is going to be a issue, I might go with Sony's 1080p set that is a gaming beast.

I want to try the 850 4K model from Sony and I'm hoping Best Buy would allow me to hook a console up to their set to see what the lag is like. Curious if that set is faster as it is a entirely different panel.
post #3157 of 11472 Old 10-28-2013, 04:53 PM

Quote:

Yes but let's face it. Serious gamers do not use tv's to game. 
I use 144hz Asus screens with 1ms refresh rate.
Far Cry 3 this afternoon was beautiful graphics wise, but was unplayable.

Yeah true.

Panasonic ZT65
Onkyo HT-R390
Popcorn hour A-400
SKY HD
Xbox One
Xbox 360
IPAD Air 32GB
Samsung Galaxy S4
Virgin Broadband 120MB
post #3158 of 11472 Old 10-28-2013, 04:57 PM

Quote:

This is my concern as I am sensitive to lag as well. I've returned sets in the 30ms range before simply because I could notice the lag. I recall the time I bought Binary Domain for the PS3 and thought the controls felt sluggish on the new display I got. Hooked my PS3 up to my HD CRT and it was a whole different game. Controls felt snappy and the game felt noticeably faster.

It's my concern with both of Sony's 4K models because I am primarily a console gamer. If the lag is going to be a issue, I might go with Sony's 1080p set that is a gaming beast.

I want to try the 850 4K model from Sony and I'm hoping Best Buy would allow me to hook a console up to their set to see what the lag is like. Curious if that set is faster as it is a entirely different panel.

If 30ms is your tolerance then the x9 isn't for you.

I too struggle with anything above the 30 mark and this TV's average is around 50ms and I'm having a hard time adjusting. Not sure what I'll do because movies on this tv look sublime.

Panasonic ZT65
Onkyo HT-R390
Popcorn hour A-400
SKY HD
Xbox One
Xbox 360
IPAD Air 32GB
Samsung Galaxy S4
Virgin Broadband 120MB
post #3159 of 11472 Old 10-28-2013, 05:19 PM

Quote:

I too struggle with anything above the 30 mark and this TV's average is around 50ms and I'm having a hard time adjusting. Not sure what I'll do because movies on this tv look sublime.

This is what raises my eyebrow because so many people argued that the reviews were wrong on their assessment of the input lag. This is why I'm always anxious to hear from more serious gamers who do truly notice these things. 50ms is killer. There are quite literally games out there that wouldn't even be playable with that sort of lag.

I might just end up going with the W900A after all. Wish I could see some numbers on Sony's other 4K set, but I have a feeling it'll be similar.
post #3160 of 11472 Old 10-28-2013, 05:47 PM
Advanced Member

My 65" keeps turning off...then displays red light.

I'm calling Sony

post #3161 of 11472 Old 10-28-2013, 06:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 247 Post(s)
Liked: 650
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff D View Post

It's very easy to check, Jerry. If you've got the latest S&M disc then set it to 3D mode in the disc menu and play the luma multiburst pattern, which has sets of lines at varying resolutions, up to 1080 vertical (bottom right corner of the pattern). The 65" displays the lines in the 1080 burst perfectly, whereas it's simply a greyed-out box on the 55".

I double-checked it with the 1080 deinterlacing test on Digital Video Essentials' HD Basics, forcing simulated 3D inside the BD player, and had similar results. The 65" displayed the two 1080 bursts perfectly, whereas on the 55" one burst turned black and the other white, which is an artefact actually mentioned on the DVE disc when it's not passing the full resolution.

Geoff, I confirmed that the 65" is indeed getting 1080p in 3D mode. It is always nice to verify, and thank you for providing the instructions.
post #3162 of 11472 Old 10-28-2013, 06:05 PM

Quote:

This is what raises my eyebrow because so many people argued that the reviews were wrong on their assessment of the input lag. This is why I'm always anxious to hear from more serious gamers who do truly notice these things. 50ms is killer. There are quite literally games out there that wouldn't even be playable with that sort of lag.

I might just end up going with the W900A after all. Wish I could see some numbers on Sony's other 4K set, but I have a feeling it'll be similar.

The people who say they don't feel any lag are the people who don't know any different and are unaware that it even exists.

The amount of times I see people post on various TV threads saying they don't feel lag annoys me because the players who can feel it go out buying a TV on the comments only to discover, oh **** this is laggy.

The numbers the reliable reviewers give don't lie and anything above 30ms IMO is too high and is easily noticeable. I was spoilt with the W9, it was so responsive and smooth compared to the x9.

A great example is when I had some friends over for a little call of duty. I had a samsung d7000 at the time and the lag in game mode was around 75ms. Samsungs are we'll know for high lag as well as LG.

My mates were playing away and getting destroyed, they struggled to aim down the sights and keep the crosshair on their targets.

I explained to them about input lag and shortly after they agreed and found it horrible to play. I then put it into PC mode which put the lag down to around 30ms but made the picture very bland and lifeless.

They loved it, they improved their game immensely and started popping people off with ease.

That was the difference 30-45ms made.

Panasonic ZT65
Onkyo HT-R390
Popcorn hour A-400
SKY HD
Xbox One
Xbox 360
IPAD Air 32GB
Samsung Galaxy S4
Virgin Broadband 120MB
post #3163 of 11472 Old 10-28-2013, 06:57 PM
Advanced Member

Guys

I'm going through the worse nightmare...I'm still on the phone with these F****Tards.

It started with the tv shutting off then blinking 8 times red.

This continued to happen...and still does.

They made me reboot my router and modem.

I called Sony...they walked me through a factory reset, however every time the tv is connected to the internet the symptoms start again.

The rep then made me copy a software update on a USB drive. The tv does not see it. The tv does not see the .bin on the USB.

They offered to send me a USB stick of their own, with the update on it.

I'm stuck between updates...and the tv refuses an ethernet cable...

post #3164 of 11472 Old 10-28-2013, 07:22 PM
Advanced Member

Actually

The update is the most current.

The tv crashes when an ethernet cable is plugged into the back of the tv.

If I unplug the Ethernet cable, the tv works fine.

post #3165 of 11472 Old 10-28-2013, 07:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Actually
The update is the most current.
The tv crashes when an ethernet cable is plugged into the back of the tv.

If I unplug the Ethernet cable, the tv works fine.

As a test, why don't you configure a wireless connection. My X900 is wireless, and it works just fine.
post #3166 of 11472 Old 10-28-2013, 07:41 PM
Advanced Member

It works wirelessly

ummmm??

post #3167 of 11472 Old 10-28-2013, 07:49 PM

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Quote:

50 ms? The avforums review, see http://www.avforums.com/review/sony-kd-65x9005a-65-inch-4k-ultra-hd-led-lcd-3d-tv-review.573, stated that it's below 40 ms. Isn't that true?
post #3168 of 11472 Old 10-28-2013, 08:11 PM
Advanced Member

Ok I'm totally back up via ethernet.

It was a glitch between the router and the tv.

It was the router that was causing this.

If any of you get the same symptoms. Unplug your router for 30 seconds and plug it back on.

Tonight I have learnt that a glitch with the router can cause the TV to freeze, turn itself off, and flash red 8 times in a row.

post #3169 of 11472 Old 10-28-2013, 08:12 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Anyone who says Lag is not bad on ANY of these 4k sets or heck I even bought the 4k Asus 32 inch monitor that ill do 60fps wake up lol First Person Shooters are UNPLAYABLE !

Spin moves ect no chance I was destroyed . No I was humiliated eek.gif

Switch over to my 24 inch CRT Sony 900 Monitor bam my scores went right back up to where they belong....

Now for a person who only plays once in a blue moon cool..... 50 or 60 input lag is prob fine for you rolleyes.gif

4k is great for slow RPG games or non FPS games....Detail is eye opening ...

Also it was said on this forum that the Xbox One will run games in 4k ..............No Bleeping way folks

I have the newest Extreme processor with 4 way Titans in SLI 32 gig 2400Mhz ram running my Asus 4k BF4 average FPS is 45 to 55 Drops to 30 with intense action in BF4

Now Xbox One and PS4 have LAST GEN ATI Graphics so Good Luck running any game in 4k

Movies sure they could do 3840X2160 24 no problem .........

Sorry for my rant It just kills me people thinking little boxes like PS4 and Xbox One are good for 4k gaming smile.gif And input lag is not that bad lol.....

O and by the way I LOVE my Sony 65 4K for Movies ect Just Love It !!!!!!!!

Tj8xp..............

I like my HDTV but I LOVE My Ferrari !!!!
post #3170 of 11472 Old 10-28-2013, 08:26 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tj8xp View Post

Anyone who says Lag is not bad on ANY of these 4k sets or heck I even bought the 4k Asus 32 inch monitor that ill do 60fps wake up lol First Person Shooters are UNPLAYABLE !

Spin moves ect no chance I was destroyed lol. No I was humiliated eek.gif

Switch over to my 24 inch CRT Sony 900 Monitor bam my scores went right back up to where they belong....

Now for a person who only plays once in a blue moon cool..... 50 or 60 input lag is prob fine for you rolleyes.gif

Also it was said on this forum that the Xbox One will run games in 4k L O L ..............No Bleeping way folks

I have the newest Extreme processor with 4 way Titans in SLI 32 gig 2400Mhz ram running my Asus 4k BF4 average FPS is 45 to 55 Drops to 30 with intense action in BF4

Now Xbox One and PS4 have LAST GEN ATI Graphics so Good Luck running any game in 4k

Sorry for my rant It just kills me people thinking little boxes like PS4 and Xbox One are good for 4k gaming smile.gif And input lag is not that bad lol.....

Tj8xp..............

I agree 100%

I tried playing Far Cry 3, Metro last light, Crysis...FORGET IT...

The graphics look amazing on the Sony, but it's unplayable.

I also have a dual Titan setup..and when I play tournaments, I will use a 19" monitor...

This TV is phenomenal for movies and for watching TV..not for gaming. 

post #3171 of 11472 Old 10-28-2013, 08:38 PM
AVS Special Member

post #3172 of 11472 Old 10-28-2013, 09:33 PM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinJerry View Post

Just curious, how old are you guys--15? tongue.gif

what gave you a clue all the lols smile.gif
post #3173 of 11472 Old 10-28-2013, 09:35 PM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Quote:

This TV is phenomenal for movies and for watching TV..not for gaming. 

I was thinking of getting a ps4, so looks like it would be a waste of money?
post #3174 of 11472 Old 10-28-2013, 09:41 PM

Quote:

Spin moves ect no chance I was destroyed lol. No I was humiliated eek.gif

Also it was said on this forum that the Xbox One will run games in 4k L O L ..............No Bleeping way folks

Tj8xp..............

The Xbox One should have been called the Xbox 720 since Call of Duty and Battlefield are running at 720p on it while on the PS4 they are running at 1080p.

But yeah, these consoles aren't doing 4K. The amount of money they'd have to charge for a 4K console would be insane. They will be doing 1080p and below. This is a TV industry push to try to figure out how to get people to buy TV's again since HDTV sales have been slowing down.

As for that AVForums review citing 40ms, I wouldn't trust that one when the other major TV review sites came out with the same numbers up in the 60's. AVForums has been spotty on reviews in the past.
post #3175 of 11472 Old 10-28-2013, 10:11 PM

Liked: 17
I am not 15 no I am a hardcore gamer at the age of 43 thank you. And yes I have a job in fact I'm the CEO smile.gif

If your not into games that's fine I think we should all do what we like. I love to race my cars as well...

However to judge that everyone who plays games is 15 and under is just plane ignorance.rolleyes.gif

Everunman the PS4 and Xbox One are nice consoles for the masses also there will be games on there the PC will not get so

if you want one go for it.. Don't EVER let anyone else tell you what to get you do what is best for you brother wink.gif

Tj8xp

post #3176 of 11472 Old 10-29-2013, 02:46 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 176
Quote:

I am not 15 no I am a hardcore gamer at the age of 43 thank you. And yes I have a job in fact I'm the CEO smile.gif

If your not into games that's fine I think we should all do what we like. I love to race my cars as well...

However to judge that everyone who plays games is 15 and under is just plane ignorance.rolleyes.gif

Everunman the PS4 and Xbox One are nice consoles for the masses also there will be games on there the PC will not get so

if you want one go for it.. Don't EVER let anyone else tell you what to get you do what is best for you brother wink.gif

Tj8xp

This is all presented as humor!

I'm the CEO (our pal from BP)

love to race my cars:

just plane ignorance:

nice console:

the brothers:

love my Ferrari:
post #3177 of 11472 Old 10-29-2013, 03:28 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 176
Mercedes S Class Commercial:

Have any of you seen the 2014 MB commercial for the S sedan?

It's running on the networks and the image quality is head and shoulders above anything I've ever seen before.
post #3178 of 11472 Old 10-29-2013, 04:25 AM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinJerry View Post

Just curious, how old are you guys--15? tongue.gif

Considering he has $4,000 worth of video cards alone, I doubt that.
post #3179 of 11472 Old 10-29-2013, 05:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yappadappadu View Post

50 ms? The avforums review, see http://www.avforums.com/review/sony-kd-65x9005a-65-inch-4k-ultra-hd-led-lcd-3d-tv-review.573, stated that it's below 40 ms. Isn't that true?

Trust me it's not 40ms, More like 50-60ms. Still better than Samsung though.
Yappadappadu likes this.

Panasonic ZT65
Onkyo HT-R390
Popcorn hour A-400
SKY HD
Xbox One
Xbox 360
IPAD Air 32GB
Samsung Galaxy S4
Virgin Broadband 120MB
post #3180 of 11472 Old 10-29-2013, 05:45 AM

Would I be best setting my Xbox 360 at 720p and letting the TV do all the up scaling to 4k or set the 360 at 1080p so the TV only then needs to upscale to 4k?

I presuming the later as the less the TV does the less lag it will produce?

Panasonic ZT65
Onkyo HT-R390
Popcorn hour A-400
SKY HD
Xbox One
Xbox 360
IPAD Air 32GB
Samsung Galaxy S4
Virgin Broadband 120MB
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Sony Xbr 65x900a 65 Inch 1080p 120hz 3d Led 4k Ultra Hdtv , Sony Xbr 55x900a 55 Inch 4k Ultra Hd 3d Led Tv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page