Official Sony [X9] XBR-55X900A / XBR-65X900A Owner's Thread - Page 118 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #3511 of 11827 Old 11-13-2013, 08:15 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 134 Post(s)
Liked: 199
Quote:
Originally Posted by quovadis123 View Post

The Sony tv ONLY accepts windows media player TO STREAM videos or movies from your computer to the tv. HOWEVER, windows media player ONLY accepts max 1080. If you try to place a native 4k file into Win media player, it will reject it.

Are there other players or software out there capable of streaming 4k content? Yes there are, HOWEVER, they are not compatible with the Sony tv.

Not true. I use Tversity to stream to my TV just fine. Granted its just 1080p max.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3512 of 11827 Old 11-13-2013, 08:40 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 21
You have gotten some good advice. I suggest considering paying for a full set up. That way you KNOW everything works. Sony contracts "experts." My expert was great... but I helped him with just a few details he did not know. My Sony contracted delivery was one man with a small van. He was meticulously careful bringing the carton to my garage. One person CAN deliver it. The installer was prepared to bring the carton into the TV room alone... but I gave him a wee bit of a hand. Right... I did not strain myself... just a bit of guiding. I have been told that Best Buy will do all of these things too. They seem better than I used to think they were... but I preferred to buy directly from Sony. I read talk of rejecting... returning, shipping back. I think that is terrible unless something is defective. I would not touch a big carton item that's been opened by a customer. I have not decided whether to pay the $400 for 5 year warranty, or settle for the 18 months. Many Sony products since the 50s. Never a defect or repair needed before I gave away. It makes you pause to spend extra. I never have, but I would only buy extended warranty from Sony.
post #3513 of 11827 Old 11-13-2013, 09:08 AM

Liked: 16
After following this thread I'm getting fever for the 65", my problem is the stand being 16" is going to be challenge for my current stand as it is only 14" deep but plenty wide and would support the weight. Any ideas for some kind of a rig, like sheet of plywood or something?
Bill

Bill
post #3514 of 11827 Old 11-13-2013, 09:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 376 Post(s)
Liked: 669
Quote:
Originally Posted by billymerritt View Post

After following this thread I'm getting fever for the 65", my problem is the stand being 16" is going to be challenge for my current stand as it is only 14" deep but plenty wide and would support the weight. Any ideas for some kind of a rig, like sheet of plywood or something?
Bill

It looks great mounted on the wall....

post #3515 of 11827 Old 11-13-2013, 09:27 AM

Liked: 60
Quote:

You are getting confused.
Are there other players or software out there capable of streaming 4k content? Yes there are, HOWEVER, they are not compatible with the Sony tv.

As most of the forum is speculation rather than fact, I hate to speculate; however...

The new Apple Desktop "Mac Pro" that is supposed to ship "soon" claims to be able to drive not just 1, but 3 4k "monitors". Apple does NOT make a 4k display and demo-ed the unit last month on 42" 4k by Sharp(?), but Apple and Sony are close collaborators for a very long time now.

I believe people have already confirmed that some computers can drive the Sony. I see no reason why the TV cares about the brand of computer feeding it's HDMI, but what do I know? So I'll speculate that our Sony will also work with that new computer.

I'm pretty sure that will be the case as that computer is obviously targeted at people doing non-linear video editing, 4k is the next big thing, and Sony is of course the biggest players in the "video production" market.

However your first point is the key: "There are no 4k movies", so who cares? I'm still at a loss for why Sony doesn't just rip their huge movie library, (they allegedly shot them in 4k), and create a reason for public to buy an expensive new TV. Maybe they do need to be bought and broken up by a hedge fund. More likely they want to sell a few thousand to us early adopters, and after we get the bugs out, the marketing push begins next Xmas.

:-)
post #3516 of 11827 Old 11-13-2013, 09:32 AM

Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinJerry View Post

Just a note: the round metal stand is extremely stable. I have plenty of space on my furniture for it, but I think an overlap of 2 inches
would not be risky... especially if you add a bit of a fasten down after you are sure you have it where you want it. Sony even sells a large strap
to secure TV to wall. That's what I would do if I did not want a bit of furniture to house the other devices out of sight below the TV. I love the photo of the wall mount. Although, I like access to the back.
post #3517 of 11827 Old 11-13-2013, 09:35 AM

Anybody know if the 4k version of the goPro, aka "HERO3+ Black Edition", actually work with ours Sony's?
post #3518 of 11827 Old 11-13-2013, 09:38 AM

Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmac7balla View Post

Thank you for sharing and Congrats! I use mine for gaming as well. Can't wait until sony updates the firmware to support HDMI 2.0 to allow higher FPS
If you want better photos download the free program called "Fraps" it will allow you to take in game screen shots and recordings as well. Very useful tool. Also a quick tip, under the picture settings if you increase the resolution all the way to max it will really make the game pop also with no noticeable lag as well. I only recommend this with PC gaming because with console gaming I found increasing the resolution just magnifies the blocky console graphics. Feel free to PM me if you have any questions.

Awe man. Thank you so much for this. I can't wait to get home to try the resolution thing out!
post #3519 of 11827 Old 11-13-2013, 09:46 AM

Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobnorth65 View Post

Just a note: the round metal stand is extremely stable. I have plenty of space on my furniture for it, but I think an overlap of 2 inches
would not be risky... especially if you add a bit of a fasten down after you are sure you have it where you want it. Sony even sells a large strap
to secure TV to wall. That's what I would do if I did not want a bit of furniture to house the other devices out of sight below the TV. I love the photo of the wall mount. Although, I like access to the back.
Thanks for the suggestion, After checking out my stand it would surely work just fine.
Bill

Bill
post #3520 of 11827 Old 11-13-2013, 10:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 376 Post(s)
Liked: 669
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobnorth65 View Post

I love the photo of the wall mount. Although, I like access to the back.

With Sanus mounts, you can swing the bottom of the TV forward and rest it on some stand-offs, allowing for reasonable access to the back to the display, i.e. to plug in the cables.

post #3521 of 11827 Old 11-13-2013, 10:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 156
Quote:

I looks GORGEOUS mounted on the wall...:)

post #3522 of 11827 Old 11-13-2013, 10:57 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:

With Sanus mounts, you can swing the bottom of the TV forward and rest it on some stand-offs, allowing for reasonable access to the back to the display, i.e. to plug in the cables.

I do miss that with my current Chief mount. There weren't any Sanus in store when I wanted to mount my set that would fit.

However, I do like the tubular design of the Chief over the previous Sanus I had.
post #3523 of 11827 Old 11-13-2013, 11:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 156
Quote:

"Cleveland plasma" is a sponsor in this forum, and he has really good prices too. Check them out.

I think most of us, were so paranoid about this purchase, that we ended up buying from local stores and paying  a tad more.

The two other times I have contacted Cleveland Plasma in the past - the guy/owner has not really been all that helpful - either customer service wise or price wise.

I haven't contacted him since because of that...

And yes, that is why I am looking for someone local to match East Coast's price - maybe, as someone stated, they could get close to it...:)

post #3524 of 11827 Old 11-13-2013, 11:20 AM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjnbos View Post

Anybody know if the 4k version of the goPro, aka "HERO3+ Black Edition", actually work with ours Sony's?

I don't have HERO3+ Black, but I have HERO3 Black Edition - it also has 4K .. and I could play the stock clips recorded on the camera on the TV. It plays fine on tv through USB -- sound and PQ all good, but it gives message that, "content not supported" -- may be because, I have it recorded at 4K @ 30 fps. Also, I am playing from USB -- so most likely the display is not in 4K, even though it looks clearer. I dont know, anyother way to play 4K as GoPro doesnt have HDMI like TV has.

post #3525 of 11827 Old 11-13-2013, 11:45 AM

Quote:

You are getting confused.

1. There are no 4k movies. Some movies are mastered in 4k..This is a Blu ray at 1080, but with better quality. So they call it mastered in 4k. It's like saying 720p mastered in 1080p.

Bit of a con if you ask me.

2. There are only a few mastered in 4k movies...The not so amazing Spiderman, and 2 others I think.

3. A laptop will not be able to play native 4k content unless you have a super high end laptop for gaming (Alienware etc).

4. The nuvola player is a means to play 4k content. It does not have any 4k content to play. 

When you get the nuvola player you will be able to play any existing You tube videos that are offered in 4k, to your tv directly from the Nuvola's You tube app.

At the moment, you cannot play 4k content from the Sony's You tube app. You COULD place a native 4k content clip on a thumb drive, but the TV will not accept it.

The Sony tv ONLY accepts windows media player TO STREAM videos or movies from your computer to the tv. HOWEVER, windows media player ONLY accepts max 1080. If you try to place a native 4k file into Win media player, it will reject it.

Interesting .... 

So, the Sony's 4K Media Player -- FMP-X1, it doesn't 4K movies? It has mastered in 4K movies? I was in the notion that the media player, they are selling for almost $700 is having pure upgraded 4K movies i.e. old movies, converted in 4K and/or some new 4K, if shot in 4K. Also, I thought, since Sony's 4K Media player has external Hard disk, we can attach, I thought, we could download clips etc. in 4K from various sources (such as Youtube) and play it through that 4K media player, but, if that 4K media player, cannot play true 4K content, then it is useless.

post #3526 of 11827 Old 11-13-2013, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AVSFan2013 View Post

I tock clips recorded on the camera on the TV. It plays fine on tv through USB -- sound and PQ all good, but it gives message that, "content not supported" -- may be because, I have it recorded at 4K @ 30 fps.

Hmmm, I agree about the HDMI, looks like that is an extra cost option

"HDTV: Micro HDMI to HDMI cable required (sold separately)"

and also on a second glance noticed something on the goPro site that seems to indicate it only supports 4k at 15 Hz, which I'd guess the TV doesn't support.

Maybe the goPro version 4 will == 4k :-;
post #3527 of 11827 Old 11-13-2013, 11:50 AM

Quote:

"HDTV: Micro HDMI to HDMI cable required (sold separately)"

Maybe the goPro version 4 will == 4k :-;

Their FAQ suggest it -does- do 4k

"4K = 3840x2160 pixels (16:9) - HERO3: Black Edition only"

but doesn't say at what rate...
post #3528 of 11827 Old 11-13-2013, 12:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 129 Post(s)
Liked: 210
Quote:

3. A laptop will not be able to play native 4k content unless you have a super high end laptop for gaming (Alienware etc).

I've been running lots of 4K clips on an Intel i5 4th gen Sony laptop with intel 4400 graphics, connected by HDMI to the Sony X9. You'll need a hefty rig for 4K gaming, granted, but for just watching 4K content you'd be surprised at how easily current tech can run it.
post #3529 of 11827 Old 11-13-2013, 12:36 PM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 36
You only need a computer that has a video card that can run at 3840 x 2160. I bought this one the Nuvola NP-H1

http://www.nuvola4k.com/order.php
post #3530 of 11827 Old 11-13-2013, 12:54 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 277 Post(s)
Liked: 509
Quote:
Originally Posted by HDTVAV View Post

The two other times I have contacted Cleveland Plasma in the past - the guy/owner has not really been all that helpful - either customer service wise or price wise.
I surely can not comment on every conversation we have, but that surely is not common. I am sorry for any issues you have had.

( As far as pricing ) Pricing, is what it is, we mark up the 65A900 up about $250 and let them fly. I always say, I will show anyone our true costs so they can see we generally make 5%. Its kinda sad actually. We can not match pricing and loose money, I am sure that is why most venders will not match such companies.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeSoFl View Post

Bottom line (I'm assuming) with CP is if the box is damaged, refuse it. If the set doesn't work, contact the manufacturer. That isn't the most satisfying sounding guarantee.
Depends on the exact product ordered, each manufacturer has there own returns policy, we put the worst case up. I Fixed that grammar issue, thank you for that wink.gif Odds of getting a DOA set or having an issue in the first 15 days is about .05%.
post #3531 of 11827 Old 11-13-2013, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by everunman View Post

You only need a computer that has a video card that can run at 3840 x 2160. I bought this one the Nuvola NP-H1

http://www.nuvola4k.com/order.php

Does your Nuvola has 4K movies in it or streaming (for rent/purchase) to play on 4K TV? Or, it basically just plays Youtube or any other true 4K content stored in its hard disk to 4K TV?

post #3532 of 11827 Old 11-13-2013, 02:24 PM

Quote:

Their FAQ suggest it -does- do 4k

"4K = 3840x2160 pixels (16:9) - HERO3: Black Edition only"

but doesn't say at what rate...

I think, the rate, we can set between 24 and 30. There are so many settings, and I did not check it yet. I just bought early this year. Now that skiing season is back, I will look at it in details again. Would be nice to find a way to play these 4K video to TV, if possible, somehow.

post #3533 of 11827 Old 11-13-2013, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melancholy1980 View Post

2 months later and I still can't decide between the X900A and the X850A.  I've seen both of them in a store and tested them several times.  If the X850A was the same TV as the X900A and had no speakers, it would be an easy decision.  But since that does not exist, I struggle.

When I look up close at the X850A I can't help but feel that it is cheaply made.  The border casing is plasticy and just doesn't look as refined as the X900A.  For such a high price television you get a vibe that it should be manufactured better.  The model I viewed also had a dead pixel on the display, which was of concern.

The X900A has pretty high reflection rates...the lighting in the store really impacted the experience tremendously.  I played video games on both models and honestly noticed zero difference in lag time.  I did notice the 3D was better on the X900A but only because I didn't have that annoying flickering going on in the corner of my eyes.  It also seemed a bit brighter.  The color also looked better on the X900A where the X850A seemed washed out and the backlighting was dimmer for some reason.  Could be a calibration issue, not sure.

I've been following this thread for a while trying to make up my mind.  Some questions for the group:

- Did anyone here consider the 850 before the 900, and what were the main reasons for going one way or another?

- Are there any benefits input wise to the 850?  I was led to believe the 850 would have multiple HDMI 2.0 ports installed where the 950 would only have 1.  Not an issue if you have a receiver processing everything, but I haven't upgraded my receiver yet to 4K standards.

- Is it reasonable to expect another price drop on Black Friday or around Xmas? The W9 series is nearly the same television without the 4K resolution and is tremendously cheaper, no?  I need a new TV but feel if I go W9 I will regret not being future proof.  Trying to justify the cost, though...hoping the 65" gets under $4000- $4500 before end of 2013.

-Any other last pieces of advice when trying to make this decision?  i realize early adoption comes with it's risks and costs....you are talking to someone who bought the first Sony SXRD Projection TV for $5500 when 1080p just launched (and oh, what a nightmare that model was for Sony)....but this time I am trying to be a bit more thorough about the decision.

Appreciate the help from this expert group of contributors!

If you are confused between 850 and 900 model -- try watching 3D movie on 850 or any other Active 3D Smart TV (you can try it on a small one too, which you can try it out) -- I mean, entire movie, not just 15 mins. If you feel headache etc. Then you might want to try 900. For me, Active and Passive 3D was the only decision factor -- 850 offers active and 900 has passive. I got headache in 20 mins on Active 3D, I tried -- Samsung from costco and then kept wondering, why I could watch 3d at theater fine. Googled and realized it's Active 3D technology causing it. So, it became easy for me.

post #3534 of 11827 Old 11-13-2013, 02:53 PM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Quote:

Does your Nuvola has 4K movies in it or streaming (for rent/purchase) to play on 4K TV? Or, it basically just plays Youtube or any other true 4K content stored in its hard disk to 4K TV?

Its just a regular PC that runs windows 7, but has haswell video card (Haswell HD4600) that the resolution that can be changed to 3840 x 2160 or 4096 x 2160 (i think though had issues with some programmes on this setting)

I have xbmc set up for 720p and 1080p files which is upscalled by the Sony TV and works well

I play downloaded 4k clips via vlc player
post #3535 of 11827 Old 11-13-2013, 04:28 PM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Quote:

If you are confused between 850 and 900 model -- try watching 3D movie on 850 or any other Active 3D Smart TV (you can try it on a small one too, which you can try it out) -- I mean, entire movie, not just 15 mins. If you feel headache etc. Then you might want to try 900. For me, Active and Passive 3D was the only decision factor -- 850 offers active and 900 has passive. I got headache in 20 mins on Active 3D, I tried -- Samsung from costco and then kept wondering, why I could watch 3d at theater fine. Googled and realized it's Active 3D technology causing it. So, it became easy for me.

I checked out both sets in a great amount of detail at the store, and I agree with AVSFan, the 900 is the much better TV especially if 3D is important to you. The deal breaker for me is the speakers, I would have to go 55" because of size constraints and then the 3D becomes the 900's weakness as it is 540p. Ugh..

I also think it is absurd that USB photos are not in 4k on the Sony sets...I will wait for the firmware upgrade and see what it brings...
post #3536 of 11827 Old 11-14-2013, 12:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TallCoolOne View Post

I also think it is absurd that USB photos are not in 4k on the Sony sets...I will wait for the firmware upgrade and see what it brings...

Bump

I can almost hear the engineers saying, " we got bigger fish to fry, memory sticks are too slow for 1080p let alone 4k, and it will be years before anybody has a 4k camera to plug in to the USB anyway…" :-)
post #3537 of 11827 Old 11-14-2013, 12:55 AM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Quote:

I can almost hear the engineers saying, " we got bigger fish to fry, memory sticks are too slow for 1080p let alone 4k, and it will be years before anybody has a 4k camera to plug in to the USB anyway…" :-)

Haha, well maybe for video they will say that, but I meant viewing still photos in 4K, and 4K capable picture cameras have been around since 2004 or so...there really is no excuse for not putting this feature in, i mean how hard could this really have been...
post #3538 of 11827 Old 11-14-2013, 04:06 AM
Advanced Member

Why is there a 4k Photo Display option in Picture and Display Settings menu? The description says USB/Network.
post #3539 of 11827 Old 11-14-2013, 04:36 AM

Liked: 23

A few more shots. Again, taken with just the Galaxy S4. However, I'm puzzled by the fact that You Tube videos in 4K don't look as good as the 4K clips on the server. Yes, I'm clicking "Original" once the video starts, but the 4K stuff streaming or even after downloading with 4K Downloader are not as crisp, clear, or detailed as the videos on the server...
post #3540 of 11827 Old 11-14-2013, 04:38 AM
Advanced Member

That's odd. I can barely tell the difference between 1080p versions of YouTube 4k videos I used the downloader for streaming and X1 clips.
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Sony Xbr 65x900a 65 Inch 1080p 120hz 3d Led 4k Ultra Hdtv , Sony Xbr 55x900a 55 Inch 4k Ultra Hd 3d Led Tv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page