Official Sony [X9] XBR-55X900A / XBR-65X900A Owner's Thread - Page 124 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #3691 of 10872 Old 11-19-2013, 11:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 155
Quote:
Originally Posted by quovadis123 View Post

You can't go wrong with the VT60. It has been voted best value and picture quality by many.

I tried it, and hated it. But I live in Florida where we have lots of sunlight.

In the evening without sunlight, it was better. I found that 3d was not that good unless you like flickering.

I also found 3d glasses to be extremely dark compared to passive kind.

I did prefer the Samsung plasma over the panasonic, it was much brighter.

Why don't you look at the new Sony W85 which is exactly the same TV without the 4k?

If I had to buy a TV today other than the x900 i would also look at the Samsung 7100 series, or the Vizio M series.

BTW Panasonic are stopping plasma production next year..

What do you think this means?

See my "problem" is that I don't like LED pictures in general...

They look like you are watching a cartoon.

All of the people look like they were drawn with highlighter markers.

Nothing looks "natural" - like the plasma.

But you are right, the plasma is a little darker.

I just REALLY love the way this TV looks!

Argh...

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3692 of 10872 Old 11-19-2013, 11:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by wase4711 View Post

I too came from the "reference" plasma too, and this tv just owns it...

you are too obsessed with "statistics"; this tv OWNS any plasma, no matter what you have read...

don't worry about if its 120,240, or 480. This tv is the one to buy, period....
Out of the 6 high end TV's in my house, nothing even comes close to this one...

I guess your statement that this TV "owns" any plasma is just your subjective opinion.biggrin.gif I see you really like this TV and do many others, but it is not the last word when in comes to TVs. I've been evaluating this TV and the Panasonic 4K and I am waiting to see if Panasonic can resolve a minor issue with their display. I've spent several extended viewing session comparing both and while they are both very good I'm leaning towards the Panasonic, because its picture looks more natural to my eyes. Also, there are some excellent plasma's out there and from 7 - 9 feet away I could very easy buy another plasma, but I just don't want to go backwards in technology. I am also waiting to see if Sony actually delivers on its "promise" of HDMI 2.0. I've learned my lesson on buying a product with the promise of an update.eek.gif

I may actually breakdown and buy the Sony VPL-VW600ES 4K projector since I've always wanted a projector.smile.gif

Pioneer Elite PRO-151FD

Zektor MAS7.1

Classé CA-2200/CA-5200

Oppo BDP-105, Denon DVD-5910CI, Cambridge 752BD, Cambridge 640C V2

Paradigm Signature S8, Paradigm Signature ADP1

Paradigm Signature ADP3, Paradigm Signature C5

REL R-505 Sub (2)

Oppo BDP-93, BDP-103D, Pioneer BDP-320

Sony BDP-S790

post #3693 of 10872 Old 11-19-2013, 11:34 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 17
If missing a 240 panel or full array is not affecting the results in a negative way than the only thing to do now is wait on Black Friday or just take advantage of the current price drop.

As for the HDMI 2.0, am I missing something or hasn't this already been fixed? The Sony rep at my local Brandsmart told me all new TVs are already shipping out with the proper hardware another poster already showed the link to update the software.
post #3694 of 10872 Old 11-19-2013, 11:40 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 79
well, of course its my subjective opinion; obviously, most posts here are subjective..
My real point was to say that coming from a top notch plasma, I felt that this tv was a major upgrade in so many ways; looks fantastic, the best TV sound, BY FAR, I have ever heard, and, even the damn commercials are so colorful and vivid, my wife and I are even blown away by that!!

Sure, you may like the panny 4k or the Sammy 4k better, but to each his own. You cant be disappointed buying any of those 4k TV's, but I think that between the 3, the Sony was the best PQ for me...As far as hdmi 2.0 promise, I hope its true, but since there is not any content that NEEDS 2.0 now, nor has anyone announced any sources that require it, AFAIK, I don't think most people will really care about it at this point..

quick question; does anyone know if this tv is "roku ready"?

thanks!
post #3695 of 10872 Old 11-19-2013, 11:41 AM

Liked: 12
Anyone have a good site to buy 2 more sets of 3D glasses for our TV's

TV: XBR-65X850A
Receiver: AVR-891
Subwoofer: Sunfire HRS-10
Towers: PSB T6's
Center: PSB C5
Surrounds: BA Satellite Speakers
post #3696 of 10872 Old 11-19-2013, 11:50 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by HDTVAV View Post

Argh...

No.. you are making a mistake.

Let me explain.

Before I met these guys in the forum I had all my picture cartoon-like vivid. I did not know any better.

Now my tv is calibrated, and is MUCH deeper, darker like a plasma. In fact, had I seen a calibrated picture like this on the Sony in the store, I would have thought it were a plasma.

post #3697 of 10872 Old 11-19-2013, 11:54 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bavboym3 View Post

Anyone have a good site to buy 2 more sets of 3D glasses for our TV's

Buy the true depth 3d passive glasses off amazon.

They are by far the best quality.

They fit well and are solid.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00C4XSIZU/ref=oh_details_o04_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

post #3698 of 10872 Old 11-19-2013, 11:55 AM

Quote:

Buy the true depth 3d passive glasses off amazon.
They are by far the best quality.
They fit well and are solid.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00C4XSIZU/ref=oh_details_o04_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

These will work? they are so cheap...

post #3699 of 10872 Old 11-19-2013, 12:28 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:

well, of course its my subjective opinion; obviously, most posts here are subjective..
My real point was to say that coming from a top notch plasma, I felt that this tv was a major upgrade in so many ways; looks fantastic, the best TV sound, BY FAR, I have ever heard, and, even the damn commercials are so colorful and vivid, my wife and I are even blown away by that!!

Sure, you may like the panny 4k or the Sammy 4k better, but to each his own. You cant be disappointed buying any of those 4k TV's, but I think that between the 3, the Sony was the best PQ for me...As far as hdmi 2.0 promise, I hope its true, but since there is not any content that NEEDS 2.0 now, nor has anyone announced any sources that require it, AFAIK, I don't think most people will really care about it at this point..

quick question; does anyone know if this tv is "roku ready"?

thanks!

Us Pc gamers are awaiting the 2.0 upgrade with high priory. The 2.0 upgrade will allow us to game at a 4k resolution at 60fps compared to the 30fps limit currently. This makes a huge difference in gaming to some.

wase4711 likes this.
post #3700 of 10872 Old 11-19-2013, 12:33 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

These will work? they are so cheap...

Yes they are inexpensive...

I have compared them to the aokley's that cost $80...these are better.

And we also did a blind study with friends at home. They also preferred these hands down.

Then the real 3d after that.

Please don't ask me if my friends were blind!!

post #3701 of 10872 Old 11-19-2013, 12:43 PM

Quote:

Yes they are inexpensive...
I have compared them to the aokley's that cost $80...these are better.

And we also did a blind study with friends at home. They also preferred these hands down.

Then the real 3d after that.

Please don't ask me if my friends were blind!!

Are they better then the ones Sony gave me with the tv?

http://store.sony.com/3d-glasses-active-zid27-TDGBT500A/cat-27-catid-All-TV-3D-HDTV-Accessories?_t=pfm%3Dsearch

post #3702 of 10872 Old 11-19-2013, 12:55 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Are they better then the ones Sony gave me with the tv?

http://store.sony.com/3d-glasses-active-zid27-TDGBT500A/cat-27-catid-All-TV-3D-HDTV-Accessories?_t=pfm%3Dsearch

Yes they are better.

The sony ones keep falling to pieces also.

post #3703 of 10872 Old 11-19-2013, 01:48 PM

Liked: 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by bakerwi View Post

I guess your statement that this TV "owns" any plasma is just your subjective opinion.biggrin.gif I see you really like this TV and do many others, but it is not the last word when in comes to TVs. I've been evaluating this TV and the Panasonic 4K and I am waiting to see if Panasonic can resolve a minor issue with their display. I've spent several extended viewing session comparing both and while they are both very good I'm leaning towards the Panasonic, because its picture looks more natural to my eyes. Also, there are some excellent plasma's out there and from 7 - 9 feet away I could very easy buy another plasma, but I just don't want to go backwards in technology. I am also waiting to see if Sony actually delivers on its "promise" of HDMI 2.0. I've learned my lesson on buying a product with the promise of an update.eek.gif

I may actually breakdown and buy the Sony VPL-VW600ES 4K projector since I've always wanted a projector.smile.gif

I'd give the 850A a look. The picture is much more natural picture and it's easier to calibrate.

I'm with you that the X900 is a little over the top with some settings on some material.
post #3704 of 10872 Old 11-19-2013, 01:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 33
Quote:

Argh...

You may need to see the Sony in something other than a store setting. They all use the "Vivid" store setting. And that maybe where you are seeing too much color and cartoon looking pictures.
If all I wanted was a 1080p set I would strongly consider the Panny VT60 however I have found I could achieve black levels with the Sony to rival that of the VT60. The LG 4K sets especially the 84" have some very nice black levels as well. I haven't seen the Panasonic so I don't know on that one. Black levels are very important to me having owned the Sharp Elite before I got my Sony and you know how good the levels were on the Elite.

If I were you I would call Robert at Value Electronics and see what he says as far as what set will give you the PQ you are looking for. He is very knowledgeable and is super friendly.
He has run all those tests and will give you are fair assessment.

(I just got an email from Crutchfields who is offering a free X1 media player with the purchase of a Sony 65" 4K if you are still considering the Sony.)
post #3705 of 10872 Old 11-19-2013, 03:19 PM

Liked: 15
Is they a way to stop the Sony remote controlling my Popcorn Hr A400 apart from turning off Bravia Sync?

I'm sick of pressing options on my remote when watching the Popcorn player only for it to quit to the dashboard.

I know I can press the Sync Menu button then choose TV but that's too much effort. I don't want to Sync with the A400 at all.

Cheers

Panasonic ZT65
Onkyo HT-R390
Popcorn hour A-400
SKY HD
Xbox One
Xbox 360
IPAD Air 32GB
Samsung Galaxy S4
Virgin Broadband 120MB
post #3706 of 10872 Old 11-19-2013, 03:50 PM

Liked: 23
Quote:

Why would that make the shootout not fair?

If they used 4K on this TV and only 2K on all the others - than that would have been unfair.

No...?

No. All other TV's are being fed signals to show off their full potential. 4K would need to be fed into this TV to really show off it's full potential. It's like having an MMA fighter in the ring with a boxer and telling him he can only box and not wrestle/grapple. 4K TV's need to have a shootout with other 4K TV's. Not 1080p's.
post #3707 of 10872 Old 11-19-2013, 03:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 155
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gillietalls View Post

No. All other TV's are being fed signals to show off their full potential. 4K would need to be fed into this TV to really show off it's full potential. It's like having an MMA fighter in the ring with a boxer and telling him he can only box and not wrestle/grapple. 4K TV's need to have a shootout with other 4K TV's. Not 1080p's.

I agree, 4K TVs need to be in a shootout with other 4K TVs...

But when you want to compare 2K TVs - you certainly can't put one of them in 4K mode and the other 5 in 2K mode...

:)

post #3708 of 10872 Old 11-19-2013, 04:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 33
No but the Sony was upscaling the 2K to 2160p while the others were at 1080p.
post #3709 of 10872 Old 11-19-2013, 05:07 PM

Liked: 17
Quote:

Why would that make the shootout not fair?

If they used 4K on this TV and only 2K on all the others - than that would have been unfair.

No...?

I think you both bring up a good point but it would make sense if each panel was piped its native content to see the full effect of what they can do. Not Sony's fault it's delivering the future while the others hang on to the past. Not saying that may have made a difference but running 1080p does handicap a 4k panel.
post #3710 of 10872 Old 11-19-2013, 05:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianMundt View Post

I'd give the 850A a look. The picture is much more natural picture and it's easier to calibrate.

I'm with you that the X900 is a little over the top with some settings on some material.

Brian,

I saw your earlier posting(s) concerning the 850A, but didn't give it much thought since it was "active" versus "passive" for 3D. My current display (Pioneer Elite PRO-151FD) does not play 3D and while I do own several 3D blu-ray movies I've been more than satisfied with their 2D counterparts on the Pioneer. Another thing about 65X900A that bothers me are the speakers. They do sound pretty good, but it would have been nice if they detachable.

I know all display technologies have their pros and cons even 4K. I am also wondering how far out are we from having a native 4K (4096 × 2160) display versus an Ultra HD (3840 × 2160) display currently being introduced.

As I am perfectly happy with my current display I can stand to be a lot more patient; possibly even letting this new technolgy mature a little more.

Willie

Pioneer Elite PRO-151FD

Zektor MAS7.1

Classé CA-2200/CA-5200

Oppo BDP-105, Denon DVD-5910CI, Cambridge 752BD, Cambridge 640C V2

Paradigm Signature S8, Paradigm Signature ADP1

Paradigm Signature ADP3, Paradigm Signature C5

REL R-505 Sub (2)

Oppo BDP-93, BDP-103D, Pioneer BDP-320

Sony BDP-S790

post #3711 of 10872 Old 11-19-2013, 05:55 PM

Liked: 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by bakerwi View Post

Brian,

I saw your earlier posting(s) concerning the 850A, but didn't give it much thought since it was "active" versus "passive" for 3D. My current display (Pioneer Elite PRO-151FD) does not play 3D and while I do own several 3D blu-ray movies I've been more than satisfied with their 2D counterparts on the Pioneer. Another thing about 65X900A that bothers me are the speakers. They do sound pretty good, but it would have been nice if they detachable.

I know all display technologies have their pros and cons even 4K. I am also wondering how far out are we from having a native 4K (4096 × 2160) display versus an Ultra HD (3840 × 2160) display currently being introduced.

As I am perfectly happy with my current display I can stand to be a lot more patient; possibly even letting this new technolgy mature a little more.

Willie

Unfortunately, the 4096x2160 boat has already sailed. When 4K displays were first introduced, the question was whether or not UltraHD or 4K would win out. Well, 3840x2160 was the winner for a number of reasons, one of which was convenience. 3840x2160 is exactly four times 1080p, while "4K" isn't so "clean." In fact, as further evidence that "4K" is dead, just look how Sony and other brands are labeling 3840x2160 sets as "4K" and UltraHD.

From what I've seen (FMP-X1) and heard (future 4K disc formats), the future is 3840x2160.

I'm sure you'll continue to see 4096x2160 on projectors (that's the resolution of my VW1000ES), but not for TVs. Don't forget, 4096x2160 is a different aspect ratio as well. Almost every single panel manufacturer is sticking with 16:9 for now and the foreseeable future, so if you wait for "True" 4K, you'll be out of luck. Sad, but that's just the way things turned out.

The active 3D on the 850A is the best I've seen. In my opinion, having had extensive hands-on time with both, the difference isn't worth choosing one TV over another. I'm sure you'll be very happy with both, as I am. I've also noticed that the picture is slightly sharper on the 850A. I'm not sure why this is, but I think the glass may have something to do with it. Overall, I'm very happy with the 850, but was also very happy with the 900. Both are great TVs.
post #3712 of 10872 Old 11-19-2013, 06:29 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by GARRIGA View Post

Does the fact the 65x900 doesn't have full array matter?
Quote:

NON ISSUE

I don't understand those claiming this is a "Non Issue". The review on flatpanelshd shows clouding on a dark screen. I'm not saying it's excessive or anything like that but wouldn't having a full array set eliminate such problem? I don't know because I haven't seen this set in a dark environment so it's impossible to tell at most brick and mortar.

I'm spoiled with my 9.5G Kuro and VT50 so your gonna have to convince me to buy another LCD. With that said.. I used to own a Samsung 55B8500 LCD which was locally dimmed and it could put up a fight against my Kuro. The blacks weren't as deep, but the screen had near perfect uniformity (no clouds, flashlights, ghosting, etc) and was truly a 'freak of nature' LCD. I regretted selling that set because it was the last LCD that I recall having a picture on par with most plasmas. Viewing angles were about the only problem with the B8500 and I can accept this shortcoming since no tech is perfect.

So can you honestly tell me that not having local dimming is a "Non Issue"? Serious question from a videophile's point of view. I'm really interested in adopting 4K and I'd get the 55" and sit close. Yes I'm one of those who likes sitting close as possible to resolve details (all about immersion) and the 65" is overkill for my needs. The 4K certainly wouldn't be wasted in my small environment. But I told myself I would never buy an LCD without local dimming again.. so if I'm going to contradict myself then this is going to have to surpass my previous B8500 in all regards.
post #3713 of 10872 Old 11-19-2013, 06:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PathofNeo View Post

I don't understand those claiming this is a "Non Issue". The review on flatpanelshd shows clouding on a dark screen. I'm not saying it's excessive or anything like that but wouldn't having a full array set eliminate such problem? I don't know because I haven't seen this set in a dark environment so it's impossible to tell at most brick and mortar.

I'm spoiled with my 9.5G Kuro and VT50 so your gonna have to convince me to buy another LCD. With that said.. I used to own a Samsung 55B8500 LCD which was locally dimmed and it could put up a fight against my Kuro. The blacks weren't as deep, but the screen had near perfect uniformity (no clouds, flashlights, ghosting, etc) and was truly a 'freak of nature' LCD. I regretted selling that set because it was the last LCD that I recall having a picture on par with most plasmas. Viewing angles were about the only problem with the B8500 and I can accept this shortcoming since no tech is perfect.

So can you honestly tell me that not having local dimming is a "Non Issue"? Serious question from a videophile's point of view. I'm really interested in adopting 4K and I'd get the 55" and sit close. Yes I'm one of those who likes sitting close as possible to resolve details (all about immersion) and the 65" is overkill for my needs. The 4K certainly wouldn't be wasted in my small environment. But I told myself I would never buy an LCD without local dimming again.. so if I'm going to contradict myself then this is going to have to surpass my previous B8500 in all regards.

With With a little ambient lighting and local dimming on standard the blacks blend into the bezel and look great.

Without lighting and viewing in a dark room blacks can be a little grey but they is no clouding, well not on my set.

Panasonic ZT65
Onkyo HT-R390
Popcorn hour A-400
SKY HD
Xbox One
Xbox 360
IPAD Air 32GB
Samsung Galaxy S4
Virgin Broadband 120MB
post #3714 of 10872 Old 11-19-2013, 07:07 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasjw View Post

Without lighting and viewing in a dark room blacks can be a little grey but they is no clouding, well not on my set.

I can tolerate a little grey in the blacks. No set today has really impressed me in a completely dark room including my Kuro as they all 'glow'. I also have a Sony 34XBR960 and I'll have you know that it embarrasses even Pioneer's greatest attempt. We're not even where CRT left off so I'm not concerned in the slightest about the race for the lowest MLL in these LCD/Plasmas. I place screen uniformity of higher importance and if the X900 can deliver on this aspect then I'll take the leap in the 4K world temporarily until OLED becomes mainstream and the bugs worked out.
post #3715 of 10872 Old 11-19-2013, 07:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 154 Post(s)
Liked: 629
Quote:
Originally Posted by PathofNeo View Post

Take it from someone who has a Sony HX909 (currently retired to the bedroom), which has FALD, as well as the XBR65-X900 (my primary display now). I am currently listening to a music SACD playing on my Oppo, and I have engaged the Oppo's "audio only" mode, which darkens the display. I am sitting in a dark room, with the only light coming from my bias lighting. The X900's screen is jet black, without a hint of cloudiness anywhere. It certainly compares with the HX909's screen uniformity.

I know many people will believe, how can the X900 possibly be as good as a panel with FALD? The only thing I can say is that you need to experience it to believe it. And you are not going to experience it in a showroom. The only way you will see this set perform at its best is if you have it in your home, and you pay very close attention to having it properly calibrated. Listen to the people who own this set--why would they be steering you wrong?
post #3716 of 10872 Old 11-19-2013, 07:34 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinJerry View Post

Listen to the people who own this set--why would they be steering you wrong?

I guess it's the OCD within me. I've been burned before by the LCD hype and have brought sets home only to see clouding that I just couldn't live with. Granted.. I haven't demoed an LCD in my home in about 3 years so tech could have changed since then but I remained skeptical about sets claiming to have micro dimming of some sort trying to pass it off the consumer as FALD with crafty wording. I'll agree that there's no substitute for having a set in your home under your ideal conditions which makes it hard for me to make a decision. I generally take a leap of faith with Panasonic plasmas since I have a good idea of what their like in my environment (usually the same with lower MLL). But my history of LCDs can be described as a crap shoot only with more money involved than your typical plasma.

Once again.. I really want to dive into 4K whether the content is available or not because I just like having more resolution in a screen regardless if it's a laptop, mobile device, or tv. I have 20/20 vision and sometimes I make out the pixels on blu-rays even up close. I need more pixels but not at the expense of quality. Can you or anyone else post a link to some pictures of this set in a dark environment so I can see for myself how it looks in the real world? Forgive me if this was posted earlier in the thread (going back to check now).
post #3717 of 10872 Old 11-19-2013, 09:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 173
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasjw View Post

Is they a way to stop the Sony remote controlling my Popcorn Hr A400 apart from turning off Bravia Sync?

I'm sick of pressing options on my remote when watching the Popcorn player only for it to quit to the dashboard.

I know I can press the Sync Menu button then choose TV but that's too much effort. I don't want to Sync with the A400 at all.

Cheers

Disable (turn off) HDMI control on the Popcorn.
post #3718 of 10872 Old 11-20-2013, 02:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by apw2607 View Post

Disable (turn off) HDMI control on the Popcorn.

It can't be turned off on the Popcorn Hour.

I may just turn off Bravia Sync completely on the TV.

Panasonic ZT65
Onkyo HT-R390
Popcorn hour A-400
SKY HD
Xbox One
Xbox 360
IPAD Air 32GB
Samsung Galaxy S4
Virgin Broadband 120MB
post #3719 of 10872 Old 11-20-2013, 04:04 AM

Quote:

I agree, 4K TVs need to be in a shootout with other 4K TVs...

But when you want to compare 2K TVs - you certainly can't put one of them in 4K mode and the other 5 in 2K mode...

smile.gif

Exactly. Which is why the 4K didn't need to be in that shootout.
post #3720 of 10872 Old 11-20-2013, 04:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GARRIGA View Post

I think you both bring up a good point but it would make sense if each panel was piped its native content to see the full effect of what they can do. Not Sony's fault it's delivering the future while the others hang on to the past. Not saying that may have made a difference but running 1080p does handicap a 4k panel.

Exactly!
CJ4life likes this.
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Sony Xbr 65x900a 65 Inch 1080p 120hz 3d Led 4k Ultra Hdtv , Sony Xbr 55x900a 55 Inch 4k Ultra Hd 3d Led Tv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page