Official Sony [X9] XBR-55X900A / XBR-65X900A Owner's Thread - Page 127 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #3781 of 12609 Old 11-22-2013, 10:06 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 138 Post(s)
Liked: 202
I thought that was inherent to the 55" panel only?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3782 of 12609 Old 11-22-2013, 10:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 166
Quote:
Originally Posted by flinchn View Post

I thought that was inherent to the 55" panel only?

Yeah, supposedly it is only in the 55" - not the 65".

Is this a fixable "problem"?

Or....

post #3783 of 12609 Old 11-22-2013, 10:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1144 Post(s)
Liked: 922
post #3784 of 12609 Old 11-22-2013, 10:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinJerry View Post

Not fixable. Just the way it is.

So people are left with buying a 4K 3D TV that only does 540 in 3D?!

post #3785 of 12609 Old 11-22-2013, 10:50 PM
Advanced Member

Yup. I'm glad I bought the 65 model. I went from being a skeptic about 3d in the home to an enthusiast.
post #3786 of 12609 Old 11-22-2013, 10:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Yup. I'm glad I bought the 65 model. I went from being a skeptic about 3d in the home to an enthusiast.

That's terrible...

Sony should be ashamed - billing it as a 4K Ultra HD 3D TV - when it is not!

I would love to get the 65" also, but it is $1,000 more - and an extra half-foot+ (7 in.) wide (compared to other 65" TVs) hanging on the wall...

Rich5616 likes this.
post #3787 of 12609 Old 11-22-2013, 11:01 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by brickyardz View Post

For the people that mounted your sets on the wall, which mount are you using? Interested to find out for the 65" Model. Thanks for the help. John

I use this one. Sturdy as a rock. I have the 65"XBR850. It swivels and turns effortlessly. And its only $60 with a supported weight of up to 165lbs.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000WL6YY8/ref=ox_sc_sfl_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A17W6NLJ3OBMCK

brickyardz likes this.
post #3788 of 12609 Old 11-22-2013, 11:21 PM

Xbox One experience on the 65"XBR850. Overall the PQ looks pretty good. I do feel like the PS4 looked better on the tv then the Xbox one. I'm not sure if it's my settings but I did not notice the up scalling as much as I did on the PS4. Just like the PS4 you can have the Xbox one turn on and off your TV. After set up I was able to walk into my living room. Sit down without grabbing a remote. Say "Xbox on" and the Xbox would turn on itself, the TV, and the receiver. With the cable box being plugged into the Xbox one i was also able to change the channels with just using my voice. During game play I didn't notice any input lag or motion blur. I have not played any blu ray movies on it but I will soon.

post #3789 of 12609 Old 11-22-2013, 11:49 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmac7balla View Post

Xbox One experience on the 65"XBR850. Overall the PQ looks pretty good. I do feel like the PS4 looked better on the tv then the Xbox one. I'm not sure if it's my settings but I did not notice the up scalling as much as I did on the PS4. Just like the PS4 you can have the Xbox one turn on and off your TV. After set up I was able to walk into my living room. Sit down without grabbing a remote. Say "Xbox on" and the Xbox would turn on itself, the TV, and the receiver. With the cable box being plugged into the Xbox one i was also able to change the channels with just using my voice. During game play I didn't notice any input lag or motion blur. I have not played any blu ray movies on it but I will soon.

The XBOX One internally over processes all video output. Not only does it over sharpen, it also saturates the color palette.
This is especially noticeable between the comparison of in-game footage of the XBONE and PS4.

That feature sounds great and all, but personally I don't like it. Mainly because it would be in a constant state of low-power rather than full power off. Also, its always listening to what you're saying and will activate on key words. I'm a bit paranoid in that kind of things in that hackers can snoop in and listen to all the knock-knocking at night :/
And I wouldn't be entirely surprised if it does happen one day...
post #3790 of 12609 Old 11-23-2013, 04:02 AM

Liked: 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobnorth65 View Post

"After a LOT of fiddling around, Sony admitted to a bug in their...."

2. I suggest that it's unfair... how often I see, "Sony admitted." You'd think it was a criminal suspect being interrogated. ...No offense.

Really?

I have to spend hours and hours on the phone getting past Customer "Support" people who are focused on making me hang up the phone rather than resolve my problem. Remember they insist on using a crooked web site "2wire.com" to claim its the customer's problem.

Maybe you can find the page on the Sony web page that gives the correct work around: "hook up the TV wireless and the X1 wired",

let alone "hook up the TV wireless and the X1 wired cause we have a problem in our IP stack",
post #3791 of 12609 Old 11-23-2013, 04:27 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Liked: 209
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunderbug View Post

Hi Lee,
Have you ever managed to get the Flash card feature on the X1 to work? I tried and never been able to get the X1 to view my high res pictures or HD videos.

Thanks for any input.

I have not tried that feature yet, sorry.

Yesterday, I did receive an extensive FMP-X1 survey and was not overly kind in my reponses. There is a fair to good chance the survery will be followed up by a live rep phone call.

My main concerns, once I got past the poor choice of current content for purchase, was connectivity and clarity of issues from Sony support. Remember, I was among the 1st to have the board install and two days later was told the TV needed a full reset and the X-1 had to be exchanged at the Sony store.
post #3792 of 12609 Old 11-23-2013, 04:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobnorth65 View Post

" 2. I suggest that it's unfair... how often I see, "Sony admitted." You'd think it was a criminal suspect being interrogated. ...No offense.

Oh and by the way, some of us with the 55" are wondering where Sony is telling the truth about 540p 3D.

Is that on their web page or anywhere else? No they hide the truth.

But you are correct that it isn't criminal to -suggest- I'll get 1040 3D, when they -know- it doesn't do that.

They don't admit it even now on their web page or in the advertising or anywhere else.

At some point they might admit it only does 540 3D in a private message from a CS rep that corporate can disavow; just like they do with all the other defects; (and level 3 are decent folks).

But they'll never admit to any problem. Never. We had to figure it out after we spent $4k on a 4k that gives the same lame res as a 1080i (in 3D). They admitted nothing.

But hey what the heck? I didn't explicitly ask if it actually does 1040p 3D before I bought it; so its all my fault. That's it! The customer is to blame!

Cavet emptor baby!
post #3793 of 12609 Old 11-23-2013, 05:21 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by brickyardz View Post

For the people that mounted your sets on the wall, which mount are you using? Interested to find out for the 65" Model. Thanks for the help. John

I used the Sanus VLL10 ($60 at BestBuy), which I had previously used for a Sony 52 XBR HX909.

http://www.sanus.com/ca/en/products/visionmount/low-profile-mount/VLL10

It's a "Super Slim" low-profile wall mount. I had to add a 2 x 6 to my previous mounting board to get the 900A to clear the stacked stone wall that is the foundation of my entertainment system.
brickyardz likes this.

Bill Julyan
post #3794 of 12609 Old 11-23-2013, 07:31 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjnbos View Post

Really?

I have to spend hours and hours on the phone getting past Customer "Support" people who are focused on making me hang up the phone rather than resolve my problem. Remember they insist on using a crooked web site "2wire.com" to claim its the customer's problem.

Maybe you can find the page on the Sony web page that gives the correct work around: "hook up the TV wireless and the X1 wired",

let alone "hook up the TV wireless and the X1 wired cause we have a problem in our IP stack",

How are they instructing you to test through 2wire

Through the browser app?

I tried that and got 2.5Mbps which is like 20MBps. This is on wireless and I have a 50MBps service. Second time I ran it - 3.6 mbps

A lot of my other go to speed test sites require flash so using the TV browser is a no go
post #3795 of 12609 Old 11-23-2013, 07:37 AM

Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 64
I got a Xbox One system and hooked it up to my 900a 4k set and it looks fantastic. But in the Display Settings in the console, there is a Color Depth option. The 3 options are 24bits per pixel, 30 bit per pixel & 36 bits per pixel. Which one is compatible with our 4k sets. I did a quick google search and did not find anything. Any help would be appreciated!

There is also a Color Space option. They are TV (RGB Limited) or PC (RGB full). Again, which one would be the best choice the get the best out my set?

-Hawkmoon
post #3796 of 12609 Old 11-23-2013, 07:46 AM

Also when using game mode, put it in game mode original instead of standard, this turns on the display speed to max which is usually off on standard game mode and doesn't give the option to turn on. Should help with lag time.
post #3797 of 12609 Old 11-23-2013, 07:49 AM

Quote:

Through the browser app?

I tried that and got 2.5Mbps which is like 20MBps. This is on wireless and I have a 50MBps service.

They don't care. The game is to have you use 2wire, get a result less than 3 Mbps (obviously false) and then say the trouble with the Sony product is really that your internet is too slow. Their problem is solved: you have to hang up and figure out what is (not) wrong with your net.

This has been reported over and over on the web and this forum. I get 2.7 on 2wire with a net that downloads 300+ Mbyte files from Microsoft at a sustained rate of 15 MBs = 120 MBps. The Sony X1 media server itself reports downloads at > 15Mbits/s,

In fact the 2wire site is designed to report less than 3 so that crooked ISP scammers can trick you into "upgrading" to their site: they pay 2 wire to give accurate speeds for their ISP and slow for others... Clever scam until it was exposed, however it is shocking to me that Sony would use them.

Some people have tried to apologize for this by suggesting that the 2wire is reporting Bytes rather than bits, but that's nonsense too. If nothing else, I'm suppose to trust a speed test that can't even get bits or bytes correct?

However, after you get past level 1 and 2 at Sony customer "support" they stop reading the script and you'll get good service from level 3. But will cost you an hour of your time.

My interpretation of this is that corporate Sony is trying to save costs and it costs them nothing, in their mind, to waste my time with that sort of nonsense. However once you get by the guy in Pakistan desperate for any job and willing to say anything to get you off the phone, the level 3 people in Florida actually do care and do know what they are about and will go the extra distance.
post #3798 of 12609 Old 11-23-2013, 07:52 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Through the browser app?

I tried that and got 2.5Mbps which is like 20MBps. This is on wireless and I have a 50MBps service. Second time I ran it - 3.6 mbps

A lot of my other go to speed test sites require flash so using the TV browser is a no go

Ok never mind. I got my bits (Mbps) and bytes (MBps) backwards

Every site with no flash is giving me between 2 and 4 mbps. This means download speed is that number divided by 8.

The browser is obviously interfering. If I use the ' screen &network test' app I get like 30mbps.

They shouldn't be sending us through the browser.
post #3799 of 12609 Old 11-23-2013, 07:57 AM

Liked: 15
Don’t get me wrong, as an owner I am pissed off, too. 3D from 15 feet away makes no sense (to me). But you all have to be aware that even the display of the 55X9 shows “two lines for two lines”, there’s actually no proof that these two lines are sharing the same picture information (what would lead the often asked 540p 3D).
post #3800 of 12609 Old 11-23-2013, 08:05 AM

Quote:

Every site with no flash is giving me between 2 and 4 mbps. This means download speed is that number divided by 8.

They shouldn't be sending us through the browser.

It's not a flash issue, the test is crooked!

Try this: use "testmy.net" and you'll get a decent answer.

You'll also see that while some browsers (e.g. Chrome) are faster than others (e.g. Safari), you'll need a 100+ Mbps line to the house to really notice that.

in no case will the result from 2wire.com be in anyway accurate.

On the other hand testy.net does seem to be accurate, Accurate meaning if you down load a big file like Windows XP SP3, or say a 4k movie, the time it takes is reflected correctly by the speed test.

Obviously downloading also depends on the server, but even Sony with a zillion people using SEN/PS4 has decent server speed these days...

So why would Sony use 2wire? My guess is that corporate wanted to have an excuse to give PS4 users for slow servers, and saying my network is slow rather than their server is slow….
post #3801 of 12609 Old 11-23-2013, 08:13 AM
Advanced Member

post #3802 of 12609 Old 11-23-2013, 08:21 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked: 39

http://www.speedtest.net/ is also a very accurate speed test.

post #3803 of 12609 Old 11-23-2013, 09:31 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Liked: 209
I don't think speedtest.net works with TV's browser.

None of the applications seem to have a problem with streaming, I watched "Skyfall" last night on Netflix and it was just peachy-keen.

The X1 pulls in material at aprox 15Mbps, remember thats only "2MBps real world numbers," so don't start popping your corn kernels just yet.

2wire.com is way off, and hopefully Sony will dump the kool-aid and stop referencing it.

I quite certain Sony isn't intentionally trying to mislead customers, but their lower level support staff makes up a pretty weak bench.
post #3804 of 12609 Old 11-23-2013, 11:06 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thanks for the info! Your setup looks fantastic!
post #3805 of 12609 Old 11-23-2013, 11:32 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeSoFl View Post

I don't think speedtest.net works with TV's browser.

None of the applications seem to have a problem with streaming, I watched "Skyfall" last night on Netflix and it was just peachy-keen.

The X1 pulls in material at aprox 15Mbps, remember thats only "2MBps real world numbers," so don't start popping your corn kernels just yet.

2wire.com is way off, and hopefully Sony will dump the kool-aid and stop referencing it.

I quite certain Sony isn't intentionally trying to mislead customers, but their lower level support staff makes up a pretty weak bench.

the sets browser is only going to show you the shortcomings of its own network throughput which you cannot change. you true network throughput is from a pc connected directly to your modem.

its kind of like driving a Ferrari in a traffic jam, the speed the car can attain, and its current speed are completely different. if the set is limiting network speed, no matter how fast your connection, you will be limited to the slowest link.

post #3806 of 12609 Old 11-23-2013, 11:34 AM
Advanced Member

It isn't the set though. Check out the app that will run a bandwidth test 'screen and network test'
post #3807 of 12609 Old 11-23-2013, 11:54 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by HDTVAV View Post

So people are left with buying a 4K 3D TV that only does 540 in 3D?!

Would the 55X850a be 540p in 3D as well?
post #3808 of 12609 Old 11-23-2013, 12:30 PM
Advanced Member

I believe active 3d gets full HD resolution to each eye- just like the 900 65" passive 4k - so no for the 850

Edit: I'm still confused a bit about the exact passive 3d resolution of the 900 it's either 1080p or 3,840x1,080 pixels per eye.
post #3809 of 12609 Old 11-23-2013, 12:50 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

It isn't the set though. Check out the app that will run a bandwidth test 'screen and network test'

can you not run speedtest.net from the browser? both the sets I had tested at 8-9mbps when my blu-ray player, wireless laptop, and pc tested at 54mbps. in my case it was the set that had a problem with its networking both wired and wireless, configured automatically or manually, even connected direct to my cable modem.

post #3810 of 12609 Old 11-23-2013, 12:56 PM
Advanced Member

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Sony Xbr 65x900a 65 Inch 1080p 120hz 3d Led 4k Ultra Hdtv , Sony Xbr 55x900a 55 Inch 4k Ultra Hd 3d Led Tv
Gear in this thread - 65x900a by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page