Official Sony [X9] XBR-55X900A / XBR-65X900A Owner's Thread - Page 139 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #4141 of 11903 Old 12-05-2013, 11:30 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by iraqgsm View Post

I'm military and have usaa cc but they sided with them usaa supervisor told me that me admitting that since tv been serviced then they can't do anything

I think you should approach this as Sony serviced that product and that service job was was defective; and/or something along the lines of Toyota recalls a car for an electrical problems and screws up the upholstery with greasy clothes...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4142 of 11903 Old 12-05-2013, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by quovadis123 View Post

When large companies like that get dishonest, we need to retaliate. We need to get through to the people who have authority and power to change the situation.

I have to agree that corporate thinking these days is something along the lines of "if I can trick you, then its ok to do so". I have found it effective to be loud on forums and such. Its a shame that seeing what you can get away with is the default. A calm, brief explanation of why you think you were wronged on Amazon is extremely effective in my opinion.

===

Maybe one of the calibration experts here could get this patriot (I work of the navy) on the phone for 15 mins before he ships out, and make sure that one of the zillion odd controls in his tv is not set to something crazy.

I don't think I'm to much of a novice at fiddling with displays and it still look me some time to get mine adjusted so I didn't have what he -may be- calling clouding, but might just be way too much backlight etc, etc. The eco setting and a few other not on the picture adjustment have a large impact...

oh what the hell "iraqgsm" pm me your number and I'll walk you through the settings that work for me on my 55". Basically what AustinJerry uses:

Key thought is backlight only 6 or 7, and on advanced menu everything off/zero except for standard dynamic LED. That really, really cut back on what you might think is clouding. I also like "live color" on low.

Another "trick" is that every "scene select" has its own setting, sometimes many. So I keep my "scene" at cinema and for each HDMI set the picture to use "common" menu rather than a different one for each input. unfortunately you have to do that (just once) for each input. for example...

I'm not sure if the TV came with some crazy pictures setting or I did it, but it took me awhile to figure out that in reality there are 6 or so scenes (general, sports, game, cinema) , for each of 4 HDMI inputs and some scenes have multiple modes like cinema1,2 and custom. So potentially you have dozens and dozens of menus that might accidentally have the backlight way cranked up and not know it because while you may used e.g. a calibration DVD to adjust the picture, the mostly likely case is that you are NOT using that same "scene" and "mode" when watching TV, or apple TV.

That means even if you adjusted it with a DVD, you might be accidentally getting some totally whacked settings. It happened to me...
post #4143 of 11903 Old 12-05-2013, 12:01 PM

Liked: 17
Hi guys thank you all for your help, got voicemail from sony vice president office saying they saw the pictures in Sony discussion and third party forum (AVS) and they say it's unacceptable and would like to talk to me. I have meeting now I will call them and update. Thanks everybody again
MGTR420 and jjnbos like this.
post #4144 of 11903 Old 12-05-2013, 01:24 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Quote:

Hi guys thank you all for your help, got voicemail from sony vice president office saying they saw the pictures in Sony discussion and third party forum (AVS) and they say it's unacceptable and would like to talk to me. I have meeting now I will call them and update. Thanks everybody again

best of luck !!

post #4145 of 11903 Old 12-05-2013, 01:55 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Quote:

Good,

This has made my day.

finally someone with some common sense.

Let us know how it goes. I feel so relieved. 

post #4146 of 11903 Old 12-05-2013, 01:59 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjnbos View Post

I have to agree that corporate thinking these days is something along the lines of "if I can trick you, then its ok to do so". I have found it effective to be loud on forums and such. Its a shame that seeing what you can get away with is the default. A calm, brief explanation of why you think you were wronged on Amazon is extremely effective in my opinion.

===

Maybe one of the calibration experts here could get this patriot (I work of the navy) on the phone for 15 mins before he ships out, and make sure that one of the zillion odd controls in his tv is not set to something crazy.

I don't think I'm to much of a novice at fiddling with displays and it still look me some time to get mine adjusted so I didn't have what he -may be- calling clouding, but might just be way too much backlight etc, etc. The eco setting and a few other not on the picture adjustment have a large impact...

oh what the hell "iraqgsm" pm me your number and I'll walk you through the settings that work for me on my 55". Basically what AustinJerry uses:

Key thought is backlight only 6 or 7, and on advanced menu everything off/zero except for standard dynamic LED. That really, really cut back on what you might think is clouding. I also like "live color" on low.

Another "trick" is that every "scene select" has its own setting, sometimes many. So I keep my "scene" at cinema and for each HDMI set the picture to use "common" menu rather than a different one for each input. unfortunately you have to do that (just once) for each input. for example...

I'm not sure if the TV came with some crazy pictures setting or I did it, but it took me awhile to figure out that in reality there are 6 or so scenes (general, sports, game, cinema) , for each of 4 HDMI inputs and some scenes have multiple modes like cinema1,2 and custom. So potentially you have dozens and dozens of menus that might accidentally have the backlight way cranked up and not know it because while you may used e.g. a calibration DVD to adjust the picture, the mostly likely case is that you are NOT using that same "scene" and "mode" when watching TV, or apple TV.

That means even if you adjusted it with a DVD, you might be accidentally getting some totally whacked settings. It happened to me...

I believe these tv's are quite different.

I tried Jerry's settings, and i am much lower than him in numbers virtually everywhere.

My back light is 5, Picture 73, Brightness 42, and so on and so forth.

Now my TV looks like a plasma. A really good plasma. 

post #4147 of 11903 Old 12-05-2013, 02:31 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Can someone here please tell me if MOTIONFLOW can be TURNED ON when watching Dtv Ch. 107 "3net 3D" ???
Thanks !!!
post #4148 of 11903 Old 12-05-2013, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim1961 View Post

Can someone here please tell me if MOTIONFLOW can be TURNED ON when watching Dtv Ch. 107 "3net 3D" ???
Thanks !!!

on my 55 yes but only OFF, IMPULSE, STANDARD, SMOOTH
post #4149 of 11903 Old 12-05-2013, 04:05 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 19
Quote:

Wishing you the best of luck on getting this problem resolved. Wishing you better luck on your upcoming deployment !!! Thank you, for your service !!!!
post #4150 of 11903 Old 12-05-2013, 04:14 PM
Advanced Member

I have had my 65inch for about 2 weeks now, and loving it. Been following this thread since the start. I have not noticed much talk about the free year of Netflix, and Hulu Plus, as well as the 30 days of Music Unlimited.
post #4151 of 11903 Old 12-05-2013, 04:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockaway1836 View Post

I have had my 65inch for about 2 weeks now, and loving it. Been following this thread since the start. I have not noticed much talk about the free year of Netflix, and Hulu Plus, as well as the 30 days of Music Unlimited.

We'll its the usual sleazy "free"

In particular you have to give them your credit card to get something that is "free" and then you have to agree to automatically get enrolled at the end of the year, and I'm sure like directv you can agree to spend money online, but to cancel you have to call and wait on hold for an hour.

HULU had the balls to send me an email after I closed the page asking "if it was something they said"

Why can't corporate america run an honest business these days?
post #4152 of 11903 Old 12-05-2013, 04:43 PM
Advanced Member

No credit card needed for Netfix. The other 2 yes. I didn't sign up for those, at least yet. My TV bill is waaayyy too high already. I don't need to be forgetting about signing up for something a year from now, and getting banged with an unexpected bill.
post #4153 of 11903 Old 12-05-2013, 05:35 PM

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Any update on when the HDMI 2.0 patch will be available? Not that I have a device to use it yet, just curious!

-Hawkmoon
post #4154 of 11903 Old 12-05-2013, 05:43 PM

For me to haul the 118lb tv to my local store to exchange it, which of course they don't have any in stock, and I also have a condition as well which prevents me from doing so, so I would have to hire people to take it down. Option 2 - I could return it and pay the astronomical return shipping fees.

post #4155 of 11903 Old 12-05-2013, 06:15 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockaway1836 View Post

look in the apps section, there is one labeled  something like 1 year of netflix and hulu free. if you use the netflix app you will only see the 1 month offer, same for hulu. The netflix offer does not require a credit card, hulu does.

post #4156 of 11903 Old 12-06-2013, 12:14 AM

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by vega509 View Post

look in the apps section, there is one labeled  something like 1 year of netflix and hulu free. if you use the netflix app you will only see the 1 month offer, same for hulu. The netflix offer does not require a credit card, hulu does.

I tried this in the apps and after I put in the my email but it never send me a message for the free trial. It never send me back an link to activate this free offer. Appreciate if some one can help with the Link please.

THanks
post #4157 of 11903 Old 12-06-2013, 01:26 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunderbug View Post

I tried this in the apps and after I put in the my email but it never send me a message for the free trial. It never send me back an link to activate this free offer. Appreciate if some one can help with the Link please.

THanks

http://discover.store.sony.com/netflix/?mid=6096&rid=%25%25CUSTOM_FIELD_6%25%25&cid=120919801&XID=E:6096:FTL9TVOFFER
Thunderbug likes this.
post #4158 of 11903 Old 12-06-2013, 04:11 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked: 191
Netlix sign up is no muss no fuss. You can do it online and then just enter your email address and p/w on the TV. The free one year subscription is worth $95. Netflix policy also changed to allow multiple devices simultaneously, just add them on to your free membership.

Check out Berlin Philharmonic, it's outstanding picture (1080p) and fantastic sound are a real treat. One month freebee. Click on icon and get code to then enter online.

Thunderbug likes this.
post #4159 of 11903 Old 12-06-2013, 09:51 AM
rla

I bought a 65x900a yesterday and I need to do some in wall wiring before it and the people who are going to hang it show up in a week or two. I'm going to mount it on the wall with a Chief XTMU. I need to make sure I place the power/hdmi in wall ports in an acceptable position. The thing is, I can find no information on line, including the sony manuals that describe the location/spacing of the wall mount screws on the back of the 65x900a. The 850 specs say 400x300 VESA but there isn't any indication for the 900. Does anyone have the spacing for the holes available or better yet a technical drawing (I know that's a lot to ask). If so I'd be grateful for the information. Thanks in advance.
post #4160 of 11903 Old 12-06-2013, 10:09 AM

Liked: 12
The XBR-65X900A arrived last night (dealing with the freight company was, unfortunately, an exercise in managing incompetence). Setup was pretty much painless, including the setup for the 4K server... It couldn't have been simpler actually (though I haven't tried piping the 4k server's audio out to my receiver yet... so perhaps "the night is young" on that one).

The only exception was setting up the WiFi. Though I could connect to the router wirelessly just fine, the television refused to connect to the internet. As it turns out, the XBR-65X900A is rather finicky about what kind of a connection it has, so I had to go into my router settings and turn the speed/"Mode down from "Up to 130 Mbps" down to 54Mbps. After that it was smooth sailing. So I guess a little setup tip in case you run into that issue.

The picture is pretty much as described, gorgeous. I can see a little bit of clouding, more or less where everyone else has described seeing theirs, if I really look for it (ie: not really visible in normal viewing). Maybe some of the tweaks that were mentioned here in this thread will help mitigate it further. I will have to dig through the thread to try to find that.

I took advantage of the Sony Black Friday deal to also get the HT-ST7 for a decent price (when bundled with the television), but haven't had the chance to hook it up yet. I mention this because I have been extremely impressed by the sound coming out of the televisions speakers. Of course this is not news to those of you that already own the television or have been following this thread. But, figured I'd join the chorus.

There are a few things that I think I would like to look into further (some odd motion blur/"jerking" on very fast/abrupt motion), that I didn't notice when I was evaluating the set... so there is probably a setting I need to tweak somewhere for that one.

Anyway, thanks again for all of the insight and impressions over the last 4K+ posts. It has all been very helpful, and I look forward to continuing to learn from this thread, and those that frequent it.

-DH-

PS: This TV is heeeavy. It's ironic because I had "got into" LCDs because our last CRT was so heavy that it almost busted my knee when I tried to lift it... after that I swore to never buy a TV that I could not lift....oh well so much for that. I just hope the stand I purchased for it will hold up (It's burly enough... but some of the screws that hold the television aloft seem so small and few...)
post #4161 of 11903 Old 12-06-2013, 11:46 AM

Liked: 13
post #4162 of 11903 Old 12-06-2013, 12:47 PM

Liked: 17
UPDATEbiggrin.gif
So sorry for being late but we are busy with ice storm at the moment, anyway I called and same outsourced support picked up the phone gave them my event id and transferred 4 times and provide the event id every time finally I spoke with really nice gentleman introduce himself as ADAM executive customer relation, he acknowledged that the pictures were unacceptable and absolutely something wrong with it (finally someone from Sony agrees that its not normal which was really relieving) and offered me brand new replacement with no charge for the 55, I asked him is it still 1920x540 he says yes my answer was NO as I paid for full hd 3d so I need the 65 instead and asked me if I still have the receipt which I did and emailed it to him, he called back and told me it only going to cost me 500 plus tax and shipping house swap will be free so expecting the TV in 2 weeks or less.

Btw I was swamped with calls yesterday with multiple Florida area code from Sony and left 7 voicemails from different people.

guys thanks a lot without your help and support I would've stuck with that defective TV
BillJulyan, jjnbos and RiED27880 like this.
post #4163 of 11903 Old 12-06-2013, 01:25 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by rla View Post

I bought a 65x900a yesterday and I need to do some in wall wiring before it and the people who are going to hang it show up in a week or two. I'm going to mount it on the wall with a Chief XTMU. I need to make sure I place the power/hdmi in wall ports in an acceptable position. The thing is, I can find no information on line, including the sony manuals that describe the location/spacing of the wall mount screws on the back of the 65x900a. The 850 specs say 400x300 VESA but there isn't any indication for the 900. Does anyone have the spacing for the holes available or better yet a technical drawing (I know that's a lot to ask). If so I'd be grateful for the information. Thanks in advance.

I don't have the spacing for you but I do have that mount and what I can tell you is that this TV...on that mount...will not tilt down so don't mount it up high.

The bottom edge on the back of this TV has something that's part of the back bezel and it makes it very thick. Luckily mine isn't that high off the ground and probably only 6-8 inches higher than eye level at the center.
post #4164 of 11903 Old 12-06-2013, 01:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 450 Post(s)
Liked: 690
Quote:

I wish I could help, but now that my X900 is mounted, I can't easily get to the back to measure anything. I was in the same position as you, and I went to a store that had a demo X900 on the floor. I brought a tape measure and measured where the mounting brackets would go, and where the HDMI connector were located. Perhaps you could do the same.
post #4165 of 11903 Old 12-06-2013, 02:10 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

UPDATEbiggrin.gif
So sorry for being late but we are busy with ice storm at the moment, anyway I called and same outsourced support picked up the phone gave them my event id and transferred 4 times and provide the event id every time finally I spoke with really nice gentleman introduce himself as ADAM executive customer relation, he acknowledged that the pictures were unacceptable and absolutely something wrong with it (finally someone from Sony agrees that its not normal which was really relieving) and offered me brand new replacement with no charge for the 55, I asked him is it still 1920x540 he says yes my answer was NO as I paid for full hd 3d so I need the 65 instead and asked me if I still have the receipt which I did and emailed it to him, he called back and told me it only going to cost me 500 plus tax and shipping house swap will be free so expecting the TV in 2 weeks or less.

Btw I was swamped with calls yesterday with multiple Florida area code from Sony and left 7 voicemails from different people.

guys thanks a lot without your help and support I would've stuck with that defective TV

Very happy that it's working out in your favor.
post #4166 of 11903 Old 12-06-2013, 03:56 PM
rla

Quote:
Originally Posted by laakness View Post

I don't have the spacing for you but I do have that mount and what I can tell you is that this TV...on that mount...will not tilt down so don't mount it up high.

The bottom edge on the back of this TV has something that's part of the back bezel and it makes it very thick. Luckily mine isn't that high off the ground and probably only 6-8 inches higher than eye level at the center.

I'm glad I asked! Where the installation has to be because of physical limitations of the space puts eye level at about the bottom edge of the screen. So I'll need some tilt. Luckily the place I purchased everything from was very flexible and have installed a number 65x900's needing some non-trivial tilt on Sanus VMPL3's. So they are going to use that instead. That makes the location of connections more interesting because of the large bar. Thanks for letting me know..
post #4167 of 11903 Old 12-06-2013, 03:57 PM
rla

Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinJerry View Post

I wish I could help, but now that my X900 is mounted, I can't easily get to the back to measure anything. I was in the same position as you, and I went to a store that had a demo X900 on the floor. I brought a tape measure and measured where the mounting brackets would go, and where the HDMI connector were located. Perhaps you could do the same.

Good advice, thank you. They have it mounted in the showroom on the mount they're now going to use so I can go in and take a picture/get some measurements. I appreciate the advice.
post #4168 of 11903 Old 12-06-2013, 05:18 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

UPDATEbiggrin.gif

glad to hear you got a good result ........... enjoy, and best of luck with your deployment.

post #4169 of 11903 Old 12-06-2013, 05:42 PM

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:

I'm glad I asked! Where the installation has to be because of physical limitations of the space puts eye level at about the bottom edge of the screen. So I'll need some tilt. Luckily the place I purchased everything from was very flexible and have installed a number 65x900's needing some non-trivial tilt on Sanus VMPL3's. So they are going to use that instead. That makes the location of connections more interesting because of the large bar. Thanks for letting me know..

I just tried to measure mine as best I could and it appears to be 400x400. If you are so inclined you could install a couple 2x4's where the wall bracket will be installed, which would allow you to tilt the tv a bit more, not to mention give you a little more access space behind it. As it is, the bottom of the tv will hit the wall and only allow about a 10 degree tilt. I had mine mounted pretty high to begin with and the tilt wasn't enough without 2x4s behind it. I recently bought a ZT60 to put in its place and moved it to a location where I can view it straight on with no tilt and it made all the difference in the world. Before I moved it, the 3D was unwatchable because of the angle, but that was more poor planning on my part. It only cost me the price of a new tv to fix it eek.gif
post #4170 of 11903 Old 12-07-2013, 04:34 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 307 Post(s)
Liked: 531
Quote:

UPDATEoffered me brand new replacement with no charge for the 55, I asked him is it still 1920x540 he says yes my answer was NO as I paid for full hd 3d so I need the 65 instead and asked me if I still have the receipt which I did and emailed it to him, he called back and told me it only going to cost me 500 plus tax and shipping house swap will be free so expecting the TV in 2 weeks or less.
So you got the 65" for $500 more ?
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Sony Xbr 65x900a 65 Inch 1080p 120hz 3d Led 4k Ultra Hdtv , Sony Xbr 55x900a 55 Inch 4k Ultra Hd 3d Led Tv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page