Official Sony [X9] XBR-55X900A / XBR-65X900A Owner's Thread - Page 145 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
Reply
Thread Tools
post #4321 of 12774 Old 12-18-2013, 11:45 PM
Newbie
 
Glass-eye's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 6
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glass-eye View Post
 

 

Well, it has been a over week.  Sony is working on the problem.  Appears that my TV will not hold the DNS server settings when powered off through the remote.  I have found a way to consistently get the TV to accept DNS and connect to the internet, but it always vanishes when turned off.

 

Wonder how long it will take Sony to find a fix.  I would consider returning it for another one, but the screen is so nice that I don't want to risk getting one with clouding issues.

 

Tried the XBR-55X900A wifi for fun yesterday, sadly it too will not hold the DNS after the TV is turned off.

 

On the bright side, Sony left a message today about scheduling a service call and wondering if my router could be the problem.  Not sure how the router would be a problem as the Onkyo receiver, Macbook Air, desk top computer, NAS server, Asus Tablet, Playbook, and AppleTv all connect to the internet without any difficulty.  May humour Sony as I have been looking for a reason to upgrade my wifi router to the newer AC protocol.

 

Anyone else having DNS problems on their 900A?

 

Must be nice in the US with free Netflix and Amazon giving away the media player.  Our one perk was a short price reduction from $4499.99 to $3499.99 before sales and eco taxes.

Glass-eye is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4322 of 12774 Old 12-19-2013, 12:16 AM
Senior Member
 
mitico303's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Italy
Posts: 234
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by brownriggd View Post


do you have the 55 or the 65 inch set? I wear glasses for astigmatism and noticed the horizontal scan lines on my 55 inch set with both 2D and 3D...3D was really horrible.. Upgrading to the 65 inch set solved the problem. I thought it might be my glasses but it wasn't it was the slightly different technology used to produce the 55 inch sets....

Thank you.

 

I know the differences about the two models, and I agree with you (I've also partecipated to that discussion on official Sony 4K support forum), but I can't upgrade to the 65 inch, I don't have enough space, sadly!

 

However, I'm pretty sure that without glasses the scan lines are pratically invisible.. from the same position (about 10 cm), with glasses on I can see them, without glasses are invisible. I made a lot of tests also with my girlfriend (astigmatic too) and she can't see the scan lines.

 

Surely the 55 inch set have this problem with the filter, but I guess that with the glasses on is really more noticeable..


.. Sony KD-55X9005B ..​
mitico303 is offline  
post #4323 of 12774 Old 12-19-2013, 04:53 AM
Advanced Member
 
LeeSoFl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Wellington, FL
Posts: 958
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 183 Post(s)
Liked: 217
BREAKING NEWS ---- B O N G
(Isn't that what Fox News does?)




Most recent TV update included "HDMI 2.0 Compatibility."

...so now we got it, what do we do with it? smile.gif
LeeSoFl is offline  
post #4324 of 12774 Old 12-19-2013, 06:09 AM
Advanced Member
 
flinchn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 846
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 138 Post(s)
Liked: 202
Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinJerry View Post

The audio problems when using HDMI2 to my Denon AVR have not been resolved.

I doubt they even know what they are doing, even if they are working on it.
https://us.en.kb.sony.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/43374/c/65,66/p/47329,82420,85498/

For instance, this is FALSE. I put in an HDMI cable purposely manufactured to eliminate the CEC pin, and the TV won't turn the X1 on, it isn't using the network interface to control it - it has to be a conflict between HDMI 1 and 4 with Braviasync/CEC/RIHD whatever you want to call it.
flinchn is offline  
post #4325 of 12774 Old 12-19-2013, 06:18 AM
AVS Special Member
 
AustinJerry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Austin, Texas
Posts: 8,573
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1643 Post(s)
Liked: 1026

^ I have an open case on the issue, and Sony called me back and told me it is a Denon issue and that they were closing the case.  I feel somewhat helpless at this point.

AustinJerry is online now  
post #4326 of 12774 Old 12-19-2013, 06:23 AM
Advanced Member
 
flinchn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 846
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 138 Post(s)
Liked: 202
Well it must be an Onkyo AVR issue too then, surrrrre
flinchn is offline  
post #4327 of 12774 Old 12-19-2013, 07:09 AM
Senior Member
 
jjnbos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: New Orleans
Posts: 252
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by flinchn View Post

For instance, this is FALSE. I put in an HDMI cable purposely manufactured to eliminate the CEC pin, and the TV won't turn the X1 on, it isn't using the network interface to control it - it has to be a conflict between HDMI 1 and 4 with Braviasync/CEC/RIHD whatever you want to call it.

Probably I'm thinking of something other than what you are talking about, but…

One day my Apple Airport Extreme went on vacation, and the TV couldn't talk to the X1. Clearly it at least needs access to the internet for the X1 to work. Note the HDMI and all that worked, but the router needed to be power cycled. Given all the talk about X1 and TV need to be plugged into the same router, so perhaps they do send commands over internet??? On one hand that would make sense as IP is meant to send messages after all, and HDMI is sort of about sending video and of course an X1 is pretty well useless without internet.

But all that is speculation except for the part about the TV can't control the x1 without internet...
jjnbos is offline  
post #4328 of 12774 Old 12-19-2013, 01:46 PM
Senior Member
 
everunman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Posts: 306
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeSoFl View Post

BREAKING NEWS ---- B O N G
(Isn't that what Fox News does?)




Most recent TV update included "HDMI 2.0 Compatibility."

...so now we got it, what do we do with it? smile.gif

excellent news, here in Australia too
jjnbos and magrospic like this.
everunman is offline  
post #4329 of 12774 Old 12-19-2013, 01:56 PM
Senior Member
 
William Chiu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: NYC
Posts: 326
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 61
Not available here in New York.
Quote:
Originally Posted by everunman View Post

excellent news, here is Australia too
William Chiu is offline  
post #4330 of 12774 Old 12-19-2013, 02:39 PM
Advanced Member
 
Rf13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Florida
Posts: 632
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 234 Post(s)
Liked: 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glass-eye View Post

Tried the XBR-55X900A wifi for fun yesterday, sadly it too will not hold the DNS after the TV is turned off.

On the bright side, Sony left a message today about scheduling a service call and wondering if my router could be the problem.  Not sure how the router would be a problem as the Onkyo receiver, Macbook Air, desk top computer, NAS server, Asus Tablet, Playbook, and AppleTv all connect to the internet without any difficulty.  May humour Sony as I have been looking for a reason to upgrade my wifi router to the newer AC protocol.

Anyone else having DNS problems on their 900A?

Must be nice in the US with free Netflix and Amazon giving away the media player.  Our one perk was a short price reduction from $4499.99 to $3499.99 before sales and eco taxes.
Ok usually your DNS is assigned by your ISP you can change it because sometimes they're servers are unreliable and go down depends on location. If it works with other devices it may be a compatibility issue with your current router this has happened with ps3s in the past. Also buying a Ac router specifically for these tvs or any tv would be a waste as I can guess they only come with wireless N at the most. Only a few things have wireless AC. You would see a improvement in throughput but it varies. I have the apple AirPort Extreme and it works with everything but there are many others that will work like the asus rt-n60
Rf13 is offline  
post #4331 of 12774 Old 12-19-2013, 02:53 PM
Member
 
ashhos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 76
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 19
What month was your set made?
ashhos is offline  
post #4332 of 12774 Old 12-19-2013, 04:24 PM
AVS Special Member
 
AustinJerry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Austin, Texas
Posts: 8,573
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1643 Post(s)
Liked: 1026
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glass-eye View Post
 

 

Tried the XBR-55X900A wifi for fun yesterday, sadly it too will not hold the DNS after the TV is turned off.

 

On the bright side, Sony left a message today about scheduling a service call and wondering if my router could be the problem.  Not sure how the router would be a problem as the Onkyo receiver, Macbook Air, desk top computer, NAS server, Asus Tablet, Playbook, and AppleTv all connect to the internet without any difficulty.  May humour Sony as I have been looking for a reason to upgrade my wifi router to the newer AC protocol.

 

Anyone else having DNS problems on their 900A?

 

Must be nice in the US with free Netflix and Amazon giving away the media player.  Our one perk was a short price reduction from $4499.99 to $3499.99 before sales and eco taxes.


This is really a peculiar problem.  I manually set the DNS servers in my router, and I just checked my X900, and it is picking up the custom DNS from the router.  I also checked, and you can hard-code the DNS server by going into the manual network configuration mode, so this would eliminate an external router issue.  Have you tried that?  Otherwise, losing a setting that should be stored in flash memory could indicate an issue with the flash memory module, but if that were the case, other settings would be disappearing as well.  Have you entered custom picture settings, and have they been preserved?

 

It will be interesting to hear what the resolution to the problem turns out to be.  In the meantime, I would hard-code the DNS setting manually.

Rf13 likes this.
AustinJerry is online now  
post #4333 of 12774 Old 12-19-2013, 05:18 PM
Member
 
sean.scott's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Hyde Park, NY
Posts: 44
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by disker72 View Post

Awesome! I got my rs232 control working with the latest information provided - but it doesn't have commands for the colour buttons, SEN, the nav buttons etc... So - I was going to use IP control for that part, assuming I can find the commands in iRule. smile.gif

If anyone is interested - I made a spreadsheet using the latest document to automatically calculate the checksums for the commands. I left some empty fields as I can't see anyone using them - however, using the document they are easy to fill in later if anyone actually needs them.

Sony RS232 commands for 2013

Glad to hear everything is working now. I was making a spreadsheet myself until I saw yours. I have no idea why Sony doesn't just provide a list like that rather than making you put the hex strings together and calculate a checksum.

iRule is the best piece of software I've seen in quite a long time. I'm replacing my $30K Crestron systems at work with them. It's so nice to be able to build a Crestron quality system at 1/20th of the cost and to be able to buy the parts direct!

Pioneer Kuro PRO-151FD | KRP-500M | PDP-5020FD | PDP-4280HD

Pioneer Elite SC-05 | VSX-01TXH | BDP-23FD

Bowers & Wilkins CM8 | CM-Center | M-1

http://sean-scott.com

sean.scott is offline  
post #4334 of 12774 Old 12-19-2013, 05:55 PM
Member
 
disker72's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 118
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by sean.scott View Post

Glad to hear everything is working now. I was making a spreadsheet myself until I saw yours. I have no idea why Sony doesn't just provide a list like that rather than making you put the hex strings together and calculate a checksum.

iRule is the best piece of software I've seen in quite a long time. I'm replacing my $30K Crestron systems at work with them. It's so nice to be able to build a Crestron quality system at 1/20th of the cost and to be able to buy the parts direct!

Agreed!!!

For the spreadsheet - I don't know why but the volume down command doesn't work - even though I copied the values directly from the file you provided. I did manage to get working volume control for volume down from the SIRCS commands so it isn't that big of a deal. Oh - and the best way to use the spreadsheet is to copy the final values that it provides and then paste special - values only to an empty cell while still in excel. That way you can copy the values directly to the iRule editor. smile.gif Otherwise, you will just get the formula and not the ending hex codes.

I also was able to figure put how to send queries to the TV and have it reply back with a status. Over then next few days I'm going to work up some feedback for iRule. I'll let you know when I have that shared if you are interested.

I do have my commands shared in iRule. If it will save you some time it's called - Sony XBR RS232 2013

Thanks for providing the document Sony supplied to you.

disker72 is offline  
post #4335 of 12774 Old 12-19-2013, 09:04 PM
Advanced Member
 
Rf13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Florida
Posts: 632
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 234 Post(s)
Liked: 79
Yea I suspect a hardware issue also especially if he's the only one reporting this problem. I'd reccomend checking everything and then present your issue to sony will make things much easier if you troubleshoot the simple stuff first.
Rf13 is offline  
post #4336 of 12774 Old 12-20-2013, 05:33 AM
Member
 
magrospic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 16
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11

Nice! Good point raised everunman... what do we do with it? Has anyone managed to find anything that outputs HDMI 2.0 yet? Are there any 4k online services that can be accessed via the TV directly so no need for HDMI 2.0 until something that outputs supports it?

 

Seems to be no news on the Nvidia/AMD front yet, aside from AMD mentioning something about HDMi 2.0 on the R9 290x range but nothing firm.

 

Looking forward to the day I get to see 4k @ 60Hz and make use of the money I've spent!

 

P.S. just thought... so I'm assuming people with the Sony media box cannot play 4k @ 60Hz either?

 

 

Quote:

Originally Posted by LeeSoFl View Post

BREAKING NEWS ---- B O N G
(Isn't that what Fox News does?)




Most recent TV update included "HDMI 2.0 Compatibility."

...so now we got it, what do we do with it? smile.gif

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by everunman View Post


excellent news, here in Australia too
magrospic is offline  
post #4337 of 12774 Old 12-20-2013, 05:42 AM
Member
 
magrospic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 16
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11

PlasmaSMP please do pass on if you have any success!

 

But I am confused... you won't be able to use a DisplayPort 1.2 input with a HDMI 1.4/2.0 output because the X9's don't have displayport? Unless you mean DisplayPort 1.2 output to HDMI 1.4/2.0 adapter/cable?

 

That is theoretically possible but I did find a post somewhere from one unlucky punter who forked out 20 on a cable and it didn't work. Though the detail was dubious so not sure it could be trusted as true test.

 

Information on the success of 4k @ 60Hz seems very limited which is a surprise for high end products.

 

Even with the firmware update to HDMI 2.0 there seems to be nothing that can output full resolution to the X9!

 

 

 

Quote:

Originally Posted by PlasmaSMP View Post

Has anyone with the HDMI 2.0 update tried using an older Displayport to HDMI converter to send this display a 3820x2160@60hz input? I want to use the 55" as a computer monitor at 60hz, and was hoping since HDMI cables are backwards compatible it would remain the same with a Displayport converter.

One of the few HDMI 1.4 to DP 1.2 adapters that I can find is the DP-069-BK, and it supports the following:

1.Support DisplayPort 1.2 input and HDMI1.4 output.
2.Powered from DisplayPort source,support HDMI 1.4 with 3D
3.Support HDMI highest video resolution 2060p.
4.Support HDMI 10Gbps per channel bandwidth
5.Support HDMI 12bit per channel (36bit all channel) deep color.
magrospic is offline  
post #4338 of 12774 Old 12-20-2013, 05:49 AM
Member
 
LD VAD3R's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 17
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 21

Help!!!!

 

Does anyone else have a major issue when the image zooms & pans, horizontal or vertical straight edges and or lines start jumping/staggering? This is very apparent when it is contrasting shades. I also have very slight banding on the top & bottom of the screen, which you can only see in very light images such as a sky scene.

LD VAD3R is offline  
post #4339 of 12774 Old 12-20-2013, 08:00 AM
Newbie
 
Farkonas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Athens, Greece
Posts: 13
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by magrospic View Post


I am confused as well just as you guys are. The new firmware DOES INDEED change the refresh rate that the HDMI ports report as their highest to 60 Hz. The AMD Catalyst Center on my Media Center PC (Radeon 7750 Crossfire) this time confirms it, whereas it did not in the previous firmware update.

The thing is, the graphics card still does not offer 60 Hz as a selectable refresh rate at 4K - and I am not sure if the DP to HDMI converter PlasmaSMP mentioned will fix this. I am under the impression that even on a pure 4K monitor display, such as the ones from Asus and Sharp, one has to activate multistream transport in order to get 4K/60Hz out of a graphics card. That's effectively rendering two screens with the total pixel count of one 4K screen. The chances of this working through HDMI are not good. :-(

I'm greatly interested in anybody's findings, though. If you come across a scheme that might work, please let us know!
magrospic likes this.
Farkonas is offline  
post #4340 of 12774 Old 12-20-2013, 08:17 AM
Advanced Member
 
LeeSoFl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Wellington, FL
Posts: 958
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 183 Post(s)
Liked: 217
With this HDMI 2.0 upgrade, would there be any difference in the picture from my X1 player?
LeeSoFl is offline  
post #4341 of 12774 Old 12-20-2013, 08:21 AM
Member
 
halon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 160
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 49
First time posting to this thread. I've had my Sony Bravia tv for about 4 years now and it still works great. I've been getting the itch for a new tv and this is one I'm considering. The other I'm considering is also a Sony(KDL 55W900A). Anyways. Is this tv a first gen 4k? If so, would it be best to pass on it and wait for next years?
halon is offline  
post #4342 of 12774 Old 12-20-2013, 09:50 AM
Member
 
laakness's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: WI
Posts: 113
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 29
So here is to hoping Sony doesn't shaft us and updates the Netflix App on our TV.

http://www.highdefdigest.com/news/show/Netflix/4K/Ultra_HD/Streaming/Netflix_Readies_4K_Streaming_for_2014/13419
laakness is offline  
post #4343 of 12774 Old 12-20-2013, 10:03 AM
Newbie
 
Glass-eye's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 6
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rf13 View Post


Ok usually your DNS is assigned by your ISP you can change it because sometimes they're servers are unreliable and go down depends on location. If it works with other devices it may be a compatibility issue with your current router this has happened with ps3s in the past. Also buying a Ac router specifically for these tvs or any tv would be a waste as I can guess they only come with wireless N at the most. Only a few things have wireless AC. You would see a improvement in throughput but it varies. I have the apple AirPort Extreme and it works with everything but there are many others that will work like the asus rt-n60
Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinJerry View Post
 


This is really a peculiar problem.  I manually set the DNS servers in my router, and I just checked my X900, and it is picking up the custom DNS from the router.  I also checked, and you can hard-code the DNS server by going into the manual network configuration mode, so this would eliminate an external router issue.  Have you tried that?  Otherwise, losing a setting that should be stored in flash memory could indicate an issue with the flash memory module, but if that were the case, other settings would be disappearing as well.  Have you entered custom picture settings, and have they been preserved?

 

It will be interesting to hear what the resolution to the problem turns out to be.  In the meantime, I would hard-code the DNS setting manually.

 

Thank you for the comments.  I tried setting hardwired and wifi DNS, subnet mask and IP manually on the TV to access my network. Changes did not hold.  Sony had questioned whether it was the router, a Netgear Prosafe FVS338 with the most current firmware available.  It is an old router with "lifetime warranty" but no ongoing support from Netgear and it appeared to be working fine with all my other computers, tablets etc...just not with the XBR-55X900A.  Sony was right that the problem with with the router, or rather the TV and router do not work together for reasons that are unknown to me.  After replacing the Netgear Prosafe FVS338 with an ASUS RT-AC66U wifi router, the XBR-55X900A was able to connect through auto and manual setup.  Turning the TV off and on did not result in loss of the manual DNS settings.

 

I use powerline modules to connect the lan in the home office to a ethernet switch box in living room to connect the Blu-ray, media players, Apple TV, Onkyo audio/video receiver and wifi equipment.  The 500Mbps powerline modules do not have the bandwidth on my electrical wiring to stream both video and audio from a Blu-ray iso on the NAS in the home office.  I get video, but no audio when streaming the Blu-ray iso to the media player.

 

As the Cisco WRT610N wifi unit in the living room appears to be dying, regular loss of connection with TF101 tablet and Nest thermostat, my plan was to get 2 of ASUS RT-AC66U units and set up a media or wifi bridge between the home office and living room.  The AC spec should have enough bandwidth to stream Blu-ray iso to the living room and replace the powerline units.  Of course the cheaper solution would be to run a CAT6 cable through and along the walls between the home office and living room...just reluctant to drill holes in the walls and cabinets.

Glass-eye is offline  
post #4344 of 12774 Old 12-20-2013, 10:06 AM
Member
 
smysore's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 72
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by laakness View Post

So here is to hoping Sony doesn't shaft us and updates the Netflix App on our TV.

http://www.highdefdigest.com/news/show/Netflix/4K/Ultra_HD/Streaming/Netflix_Readies_4K_Streaming_for_2014/13419

HDMI 2.0 is new and apparently we now have it ( Sony promised that we would have it by the end of 2013 and it kept the promise - but how useful is it ?)
H.265 is also new ( Sony has made no promises that I know of - but is tit likely that H.265 is more useful as the high compression will allow 4k to be played from USB ports etc )
Anyone know what Sony intends to do with regard to H.265 ?
smysore is offline  
post #4345 of 12774 Old 12-20-2013, 10:23 AM
Member
 
sean.scott's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Hyde Park, NY
Posts: 44
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by disker72 View Post

Agreed!!!

For the spreadsheet - I don't know why but the volume down command doesn't work - even though I copied the values directly from the file you provided. I did manage to get working volume control for volume down from the SIRCS commands so it isn't that big of a deal. Oh - and the best way to use the spreadsheet is to copy the final values that it provides and then paste special - values only to an empty cell while still in excel. That way you can copy the values directly to the iRule editor. smile.gif Otherwise, you will just get the formula and not the ending hex codes.

I also was able to figure put how to send queries to the TV and have it reply back with a status. Over then next few days I'm going to work up some feedback for iRule. I'll let you know when I have that shared if you are interested.

I do have my commands shared in iRule. If it will save you some time it's called - Sony XBR RS232 2013

Thanks for providing the document Sony supplied to you.

FYI, all of my volume controls are working over RS-232c and my calculated hex commands match up to yours. I only entered the limited codes I needed for my system, but I did share them as "SONY TV - RS-232c - 2013 models" if you want to compare.

Let me know how the TV responses work our for you. I've been watching some of iRule's dealer training videos (http://www.iruleathome.com/support/dealer-training#vars) to try to see how you could incorporate TV responses into stored variables.

Cheers,
Sean

Pioneer Kuro PRO-151FD | KRP-500M | PDP-5020FD | PDP-4280HD

Pioneer Elite SC-05 | VSX-01TXH | BDP-23FD

Bowers & Wilkins CM8 | CM-Center | M-1

http://sean-scott.com

sean.scott is offline  
post #4346 of 12774 Old 12-20-2013, 11:18 AM
Senior Member
 
BillJulyan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 287
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Pardon me for the self-indulgence, but I want to see if my signature link works.



It does, thanks for bearing with me.

Bill Julyan
BillJulyan is offline  
post #4347 of 12774 Old 12-20-2013, 11:53 AM
Senior Member
 
jjnbos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: New Orleans
Posts: 252
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by smysore View Post

Anyone know what Sony intends to do with regard to H.265 ?

no.

But I'm sure that they have to support it either as an app on the TV or in the replacement for the X1 which surely must be coming soon; after all "everybody knows" that internet TV is the future and the X1 is a burnt pancake...
jjnbos is offline  
post #4348 of 12774 Old 12-21-2013, 02:07 AM
Member
 
AvatarCHRIS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 16
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Not posted in a while but I want to confirm that if your pc can run in 4k resolution then our Sony TVs display the image wonderfully. I recently bought a Nvidia Titan which powers 4k display, video and games effortlessly. Don't buy the Nvidia 780Ti if you intend to game as at 4k resolution some games already need more than 3gb of video card ram. Thus get the Titan.

My question is how do I test that my TV has indeed got the HDMI2 upgrade? I am fully up to date with all the upgrades but don't know how to test or see what the HDMI2 has done for me?
AvatarCHRIS is offline  
post #4349 of 12774 Old 12-21-2013, 07:16 AM
AVS Special Member
 
AustinJerry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Austin, Texas
Posts: 8,573
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1643 Post(s)
Liked: 1026
Quote:
Originally Posted by AvatarCHRIS View Post

Not posted in a while but I want to confirm that if your pc can run in 4k resolution then our Sony TVs display the image wonderfully. I recently bought a Nvidia Titan which powers 4k display, video and games effortlessly. Don't buy the Nvidia 780Ti if you intend to game as at 4k resolution some games already need more than 3gb of video card ram. Thus get the Titan.

My question is how do I test that my TV has indeed got the HDMI2 upgrade? I am fully up to date with all the upgrades but don't know how to test or see what the HDMI2 has done for me?

 

That is a good question.  Unfortunately Sony engineers have us flying blind on this set.  Even the Display button will not confirm that a video source is in 4K resolution, let alone display the frame rate. 

AustinJerry is online now  
post #4350 of 12774 Old 12-21-2013, 07:42 AM
Senior Member
 
BillJulyan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 287
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Just tried streaming Amazon video to the XBR. Pleasantly surprised at how good the picture quality is...and the audio is Dolby Digital.

Bill Julyan
BillJulyan is offline  
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Sony Xbr 65x900a 65 Inch 1080p 120hz 3d Led 4k Ultra Hdtv , Sony Xbr 55x900a 55 Inch 4k Ultra Hd 3d Led Tv
Gear in this thread

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off