Official Sony [X9] XBR-55X900A / XBR-65X900A Owner's Thread - Page 169 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #5041 of 12005 Old 01-29-2014, 10:20 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked: 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by flinchn View Post

I also hit the jackpot with screen uniformity on my 65". None of the issues reported here. I do not see red edge during motion.

then this must be a defect on the 55" model then frown.gif just another reason to go for the 65" for anyone shopping.
jjnbos likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #5042 of 12005 Old 01-29-2014, 10:31 AM

Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked: 137
i'm thinking of selling my x1 media player. Not 100% sure if i will, but i have a feeling that the new one coming out might be a better choice do to the new codec. I also find myself using my bluray player which upscales close to 4k more than the media player. Not sure if i should though, as its the only way to truely appreciate true 4k right now. I'm more of a disc person though. I would rather a 4k bluray disc. I also have the ps4, so i realy dont use the X1 that much these days. anyone else thought of selling theirs?
post #5043 of 12005 Old 01-29-2014, 10:53 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by RiED27880 View Post

i'm thinking of selling my x1 media player. Not 100% sure if i will, but i have a feeling that the new one coming out might be a better choice do to the new codec. I also find myself using my bluray player which upscales close to 4k more than the media player. Not sure if i should though, as its the only way to truely appreciate true 4k right now. I'm more of a disc person though. I would rather a 4k bluray disc. I also have the ps4, so i realy dont use the X1 that much these days. anyone else thought of selling theirs?

Here's some wishful thinking for you....

I don't want to sell it, in the hopes that Sony will provide some type of buyback or trade-in program for us early adopters with the X1 for the X2 or whatever they call it. But as of now, the media player has not been that great to own. Movies are priced way to high and there are not enough small clips for free.
jjnbos and RiED27880 like this.
post #5044 of 12005 Old 01-29-2014, 11:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 99
I really think you owners should get together and draft a formal letter of complaint to Sony Japan, letting them know just how disappointed you are with their products. They have lost their North American sales lead in UHD displays to Samsung, so they're quite likely to bend over backwards to keep what few customers they have. Sony used to stand for high-quality, cutting-edge products, and from what he's stated in many interviews, Kazuo Hirai plans on doing whatever it takes to regain that reputation. I'm certain if the issues and concerns you've all expressed here are brought directly to his attention, he will at least take them seriously.
RiED27880 likes this.
post #5045 of 12005 Old 01-29-2014, 11:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 149 Post(s)
Liked: 216
Quote:
Originally Posted by quovadis123 View Post

I am wondering if we are not all idiots for having purchased this $5,500 tv, when any other "normal" tv would have looked perfectly fine with the poor quality of streaming services provided?

Ah, good old buyer's remorse. Me, I don't regret buying it for a second. The calibrated PQ on my 55" is utterly fantastic with HD sources (off-air, Blu-ray, USB) which is exactly what I bought it for, and even things like my old Laserdiscs and game consoles (Sega Saturn FTW!) scrub up very nicely. The 3D, even at 'only' 540p, is staggeringly good and was another reason why I bought it. Third reason is the amazing sound, which seems to be getting even better as the set ages and the speakers 'wear in'.

Actual 4K content - when we Britishers bloody well get some, that is - is just a bonus. That'll be the gravy on top.

And I've said it before about how good the uniformity of these screens are compared to other "normal" Sony 2013 models, and they're worth the money for that aspect alone. Superb blacks, no DSE, no banding/pillars, excellent backlight uniformity (aside from the aforementioned sidelighting artefact, which is only a minor niggle), my 55" is a stunning TV and I loves it, precious.
wase4711, everunman and RiED27880 like this.
post #5046 of 12005 Old 01-29-2014, 12:09 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 97
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff D View Post

Ah, good old buyer's remorse. Me, I don't regret buying it for a second. The calibrated PQ on my 55" is utterly fantastic with HD sources (off-air, Blu-ray, USB) which is exactly what I bought it for, and even things like my old Laserdiscs and game consoles (Sega Saturn FTW!) scrub up very nicely. The 3D, even at 'only' 540p, is staggeringly good and was another reason why I bought it. Third reason is the amazing sound, which seems to be getting even better as the set ages and the speakers 'wear in'.

Actual 4K content - when we Britishers bloody well get some, that is - is just a bonus. That'll be the gravy on top.

And I've said it before about how good the uniformity of these screens are compared to other "normal" Sony 2013 models, and they're worth the money for that aspect alone. Superb blacks, no DSE, no banding/pillars, excellent backlight uniformity (aside from the aforementioned sidelighting artefact, which is only a minor niggle), my 55" is a stunning TV and I loves it, precious.

I'm in this camp; this tv is fantastic; some folks just dont have realistic expectations about the speed in which new technology gets mainstreamed...with all the "new" 4k sets coming onto the market soon, my belief is that there will be tons more 4k content coming in 2014.

My only disappointment was the price drops that happened so quickly, but, being a Best Buy Silver card Elite, they credited me 500 bucks when the price dropped, even though it was 60 days after I bought mine!
Plus, I got my X1 for 100 bucks, waited for it to go on "promo", so I couldn't be happier about my television set up at this point..We all knew, or, you should have done your homework, on what movies were on the X1, and what the pricing was at the time. I dont recall Sony EVER saying there would be 100's of 4K movies available by Feb 1, 2014, or that they would let you rent them for 99 cents...Sure, I wish there were more, and sure I wish they were all 99cents to rent..But I also wish I would win the lottery, I wish there was world peace, I wish no child would go to bed hungry, and I wish Al Gore would bring some damn Global warming to Chicago already!!(Sorry, had to throw that in biggrin.gif)
jjnbos likes this.
post #5047 of 12005 Old 01-29-2014, 12:37 PM

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff D View Post

Ah, good old buyer's remorse. Me, I don't regret buying it for a second. The calibrated PQ on my 55" is utterly fantastic with HD sources (off-air, Blu-ray, USB) which is exactly what I bought it for, .

With you 100%, i still cant wait to watch mine everyday, the upscalling kills anything ive ever owned, i sold my 1080p samsung and i was embarrassed looking at the picture (comparing to what im used to now) when i showed it to the buyer, he loved it though
post #5048 of 12005 Old 01-29-2014, 12:58 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 19
No problems with my 65inch set. Netflix and anything else I put on it looks great..
post #5049 of 12005 Old 01-29-2014, 01:04 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked: 192
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockaway1836 View Post

No problems with my 65inch set. Netflix and anything else I put on it looks great..

Does your Neflix connection run at SuperHD all the time? As stated in my recent posts, I'm getting 720HD or 480SD in the evenings (like when I want to watch something.)

Lee
#SuperUserbySony
---Sony has provided me with complementary products for evaluation. Participation in this program does not affect my posted comments, concerns or criticisms. ---
post #5050 of 12005 Old 01-29-2014, 02:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 491 Post(s)
Liked: 698
Quote:
Originally Posted by quovadis123 View Post

Here is some food for thought.

Quite frankly, my Netflix looks quite poor. Dark scenes are pixel-tearing-full. Super HD my posterior.

During peak hours Apple tv has a motion judder thing going on. The picture is not that great anyway. Dark scenes look awful.

The only good quality stuff I can see on this Tv are blu ray movies, and some Comcast HD channels. But then again, blue rays look great on almost every other Tv!

I am wondering if we are not all idiots for having purchased this $5,500 tv, when any other "normal" tv would have looked perfectly fine with the poor quality of streaming services provided?

In hindsight, remember the time we saw this Tv with the Sony advertisement in red with the little girl? It was in 4k and looked super-stunning. How many people have been conned by those visuals?

Those are the visuals which led me to perform an "impulse buy". An educated "impulse buy", because I read the whole forum before buying the Tv.

I think that reading the forum was the "justification" portion of the purchase I was about to perform.

At that time, little did I know, that I would never see any quality come close to the "little girl in red".

I'm wondering, if instead of the 4k elusive blue-bird-of-happiness, I should not have purchased a lesser quality Tv at 80". There is definitely no "con" on the 80". They are real inches!

I will always remember early on in the forum, reading a post of a guy saying that Sony's flagship of last year, looked just as good as this tv, and we we were all idiots for falling for the 4k version.

I also remember the resentment I had toward the person posting such nonsense!?

Comments!?

You say some of the most peculiar things.  Why would you call us idiots?  Since your post, several respected contributors to this thread have come forward to dispute your rant.  I count myself among those who feel the X900 delivers excellent picture quality when fed high quality source content.

If you get excellent PQ from one source (Blu-ray) and poor PQ from other sources (Netflix client and Comcast), then it's the quality of the source material that is at fault.  Did you run the Netflix speed test I described in a recent post?  If you are not getting the appropriate thru-put, PQ will suffer.  But that is NOT the fault of the set.

wase4711 and MGTR420 like this.
post #5051 of 12005 Old 01-29-2014, 03:29 PM
Advanced Member

Welcome to Ripley's Believe It or Not:

This was a Sony rep this evening.

6:18 PM Customer:
Netflix and Sony announced that 4K Netflix is starting next month. Will my XBR65X900A be able to get 4K Netflix?

6:19 PM Matthew - (C5FY):
Okay.
6:19 PM Matthew - (C5FY):
One moment please.
6:19 PM Customer:
Okay
6:21 PM Matthew - (C5FY):
Thank you for waiting.
I did check the information.
Yes. Your television supports 4k netflix.

6:22 PM Customer:
Will the software on the TV need to be updated for 4K applications such as Netflix?
6:23 PM Matthew - (C5FY):
Still the update is not available for your television.
6:24 PM Matthew - (C5FY):
We don't have any information.
6:24 PM Customer:
I asked whether an update will be needed?
6:25 PM Matthew - (C5FY):
We don't have any information currently now.
6:25 PM Customer:
okay, but the TV will work in 4K with Netflix 4K
6:26 PM Matthew - (C5FY):
Sure. It will work.
6:26 PM Customer:
Okay Matthew, you sound very confident.

6:26 PM Customer:
Thank you for your time.
You're welcome.

Lee
#SuperUserbySony
---Sony has provided me with complementary products for evaluation. Participation in this program does not affect my posted comments, concerns or criticisms. ---
wase4711 and jjnbos like this.
post #5052 of 12005 Old 01-29-2014, 03:49 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeSoFl View Post

Does your Neflix connection run at SuperHD all the time? As stated in my recent posts, I'm getting 720HD or 480SD in the evenings (like when I want to watch something.)

Lee
#SuperUserbySony

I watched several episodes of Lillyhammer yesterday and it showed Super HD. That was between 1PM and 7PM.
post #5053 of 12005 Old 01-29-2014, 04:00 PM

Liked: 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeSoFl View Post

Welcome to Ripley's Believe It or Not:
6:18 PM Customer:
Netflix and Sony announced that 4K Netflix is starting next month. Will my XBR65X900A be able to get 4K Netflix?

Sure. It will work.
-

don't worry! be happy!

Course you might have to spend $1k to get it :-)

Is this for real? If the new sets don't ship for several months, then it has to be a SW or app update for our sets. Right?
post #5054 of 12005 Old 01-29-2014, 04:07 PM
Advanced Member

I'd be willing to be if that same "customer" called netflix a second time, there might be a completely different answer...
post #5055 of 12005 Old 01-29-2014, 04:15 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wase4711 View Post

I'd be willing to be if that same "customer" called netflix a second time, there might be a completely different answer...

Sorry, I should have been more specific. That conversation was with a Sony rep this evening. I had chatted to ask when the 4.101 update info was going to be on the Sony Support site, especially since it's been three weeks since it was pushed through the wires.

Lee
#SuperUserbySony
post #5056 of 12005 Old 01-29-2014, 04:19 PM
Advanced Member

well, that makes his answer quite a bit more encouraging!
post #5057 of 12005 Old 01-29-2014, 04:40 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 40

Idiots in the poetic sense. Not literally.

I realize it's the quality of the source material. Until that source material is sorted out, is it worth spending the money on the best tv?

It's like having a Ferrari, but there's no high octane gas around.

post #5058 of 12005 Old 01-29-2014, 04:46 PM
Advanced Member

some people would love to drive a Ferrari, and not care about how fast they could go without high octane gas..
post #5059 of 12005 Old 01-29-2014, 04:53 PM
AVS Special Member

For me, I have a number of high-quality sources that provide excellent PQ. There is Blu-ray, of course, and DirecTV provides an excellent quality signal. And OTA HD broadcast TV is very high quality. AppleTV's signal provides good PQ, assuming Netflix thru-put is high enough.

Bottom line, I think there is a wealth of high-quality content.
post #5060 of 12005 Old 01-29-2014, 06:04 PM
Advanced Member

Blu rays look amazing on this tv.

Couple that with amazing simulated 3d..this is enough to flush any buyers remorse down the toilet.

I'm a little frustrated with Netflix and ATV. There's so much ghosting in dark scenes.

post #5061 of 12005 Old 01-29-2014, 06:28 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I watched several episodes of Lillyhammer yesterday and it showed Super HD. That was between 1PM and 7PM.

I watched American horror story (super HD) on Netflix, and the ghosting in dark scenes is AWFUL.

You can see the pixels distort in dark scenes. It looks grainy and horrible.

Super HD is not "out of focus" like standard resolution channels on Comcast, but this ghosting is really bad.

How are your blacks with Netflix?

post #5062 of 12005 Old 01-29-2014, 06:42 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I just watched Lillyhammer at 7 pm Chicago time, and it was in HD, not SuperHD...
post #5063 of 12005 Old 01-29-2014, 06:49 PM
AVS Special Member

OK, I just fired up the Bravia Netflix client, launched Season 1 Episode 1 of American Horror Story, and am watching the initial scenes that show two young boys walking around inside the haunted house, which has plenty of dark scenes. It is playing in SuperHD, and the PQ is stunning. I see no issues with the dark scenes at all.

Could there be an issue with your set's calibration? I just can't understand why my experience could be so different from yours.
post #5064 of 12005 Old 01-29-2014, 07:36 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinJerry View Post

OK, I just fired up the Bravia Netflix client, launched Season 1 Episode 1 of American Horror Story, and am watching the initial scenes that show two young boys walking around inside the haunted house, which has plenty of dark scenes. It is playing in SuperHD, and the PQ is stunning. I see no issues with the dark scenes at all.

Could there be an issue with your set's calibration? I just can't understand why my experience could be so different from yours.

Is your black corrector set to high?

Keep in mind I am using the Apple tv to watch netflix.

Let me try on the tv and also on the Oppo Netflix to see if there's a difference

post #5065 of 12005 Old 01-29-2014, 07:47 PM
AVS Special Member

No, Black Corrector on my set is off.  If you have looked at my settings, most of these types of settings are turned off.  You should try the same, maybe it will improve your PQ.

I would try the AppleTV, but I have been getting better thru-put with the Bravia app recently.  On the Oppo app, I can't get the bitrate to display on the example short for some reason, so I don't use it.

post #5066 of 12005 Old 01-29-2014, 08:02 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 135 Post(s)
Liked: 199
This season of American Horror story is purposely shot grainy and cloudy. I don't know about previous seasons and the techniques they used.
post #5067 of 12005 Old 01-29-2014, 08:06 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinJerry View Post

No, Black Corrector on my set is off.  If you have looked at my settings, most of these types of settings are turned off.  You should try the same, maybe it will improve your PQ.

I would try the AppleTV, but I have been getting better thru-put with the Bravia app recently.  On the Oppo app, I can't get the bitrate to display on the example short for some reason, so I don't use it.

Well I have just learned something.

I tried the Netflix on the actual TV and it looks much better than the netflix on the ATV. 

I also tried the netflix on the Oppo, which looks totally out of focus.

What i suspect is that my ATV may have a problem, since i am also getting  a motion judder effect every 10 seconds or so.

Tomorrow I will buy a new ATV to compare.

However the Bravia Netflix is really good...I understand what you mean.

post #5068 of 12005 Old 01-29-2014, 08:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Before you make any decisions, run the "example short" test I described recently on both the ATV and the Bravia.  I suspect you are having thru-put issues on the ATV, similar to what I have been experiencing.  Chances are, there is nothing wrong with the ATV itself.

However, I am encouraged we are making progress!

post #5069 of 12005 Old 01-30-2014, 03:16 AM

Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillJulyan View Post

I just played Example Short 23.976 through four different Netflix sources (Sony XBR 900A, TiVo Premiere XL, Apple TV, and Oppo BDP-105). I got a bitrate of 5800 and resolution 1920 x 1080 on all four, although the time to get to that speed varied, with the Apple TV getting there immediately. I have Comcast Internet (nominally 50Mbps, but tests consistently at 57) and all four devices are connected to my router via Ethernet cable. I did the tests early in the morning (about 630 am). I guess I should try it again during prime time.

My follow-up tests last evening left me very disappointed. Between 730 and 8pm I played Example Short 23.976 on the same four Netflix sources. I got low bitrates and poor resolution on the TiVo, Apple TV, and Oppo. The Sony XBR slowly worked its way up to a maximum bitrate of 3000 and resolution of 1280 x 720. I don't know where the problem lies, but Netflix streaming is not ready for prime time.

Bill Julyan
post #5070 of 12005 Old 01-30-2014, 04:01 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillJulyan View Post

My follow-up tests last evening left me very disappointed. Between 730 and 8pm I played Example Short 23.976 on the same four Netflix sources. I got low bitrates and poor resolution on the TiVo, Apple TV, and Oppo. The Sony XBR slowly worked its way up to a maximum bitrate of 3000 and resolution of 1280 x 720. I don't know where the problem lies, but Netflix streaming is not ready for prime time.

Yep, same results here in prime time. As I posted a few days ago, all three parties (NF, Sony, Comcast) point to each other for slow flow.

I see it move around from (720) HD to (480) SD as it's playing

Lee
#SuperUserbySony
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Sony Xbr 65x900a 65 Inch 1080p 120hz 3d Led 4k Ultra Hdtv , Sony Xbr 55x900a 55 Inch 4k Ultra Hd 3d Led Tv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page