Official Sony [X9] XBR-55X900A / XBR-65X900A Owner's Thread - Page 172 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #5131 of 12619 Old 02-03-2014, 07:28 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 138 Post(s)
Liked: 202
Get a
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawyerman1000 View Post

Hello Everyone - New to the Forum.  Just got my 65x900A TV - and I am blown away by the picture quality - everything.  One little tickle though - and I was hoping that someone might be able to steer me in the correct direction:

Right now, the TV is on its stand sitting on a large piece of furniture.  The couch is 8-10 feet away, and when you sit on the couch - you look upwards towards the screen (sort of like a movie theater).  In other words, your eyes (when sitting on the couch) are not lined up with the center of the tv. 

While watching 2d television and movies, the picture can't be beat.  But, when watching 3D (Avatar 3D BluRay) from the couch, the 3D doesn't work very well at all.  You get distorted vision, etc.  However, when I stand up - and my eyes are now on a parallel with the center of the TV, the 3D picture is extraordinary. 

Does anyone have any suggestions as to fixing the 3D issue (as I don't really want to stand up for 3 hours to watch Avatar).  Bar stools in front of my couch probably isn't going to work either.  :-)

Thanks.

Get a lower profile TV stand? I'm lucky because I already had a stand from my previous TV that puts my sets screen center at exactly eye level.
Lawyerman1000 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #5132 of 12619 Old 02-03-2014, 07:33 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 165 Post(s)
Liked: 211
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reddog77 View Post

New update out this morning

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkolk View Post

Hope that takes care of the new codec issue!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeSoFl View Post

I have asked a Sony representative to read some of these concerns and jump in with a comment.

I am ninety-nine percent certain we will be getting software updates to make our first generation 4K Sony televisions compatible with new 4K services and features.

Quote:

I am led to believe it will be software download to the 850/900A television, most likely this month.

I will try to find out if the newest update PKG 4.201AAA (today) has any of the 4K application upgrade that I mentioned in previous posts.

Lee
#SuperUserbySony
---Sony has provided me with complementary products for evaluation. Participation in this program does not affect my posted comments, concerns or criticisms. ---
post #5133 of 12619 Old 02-03-2014, 08:01 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by flinchn View Post

Get a

Get a lower profile TV stand? I'm lucky because I already had a stand from my previous TV that puts my sets screen center at exactly eye level.

LOL - if only it were that easy.  When your wife picks your furniture - changing it isn't that much of an option either.

jjnbos likes this.
post #5134 of 12619 Old 02-03-2014, 08:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1185 Post(s)
Liked: 937
Quote:

Does anyone have any suggestions as to fixing the 3D issue (as I don't really want to stand up for 3 hours to watch Avatar).  Bar stools in front of my couch probably isn't going to work either.  :-)

Thanks.

You are experiencing a known characteristic of 3D viewing. The Spears &Munsil ver 2 Blu-ray test disk even has a test for this phenomenon. There are really only two options. One would be a stand mount that allows you to tilt the display downward so the viewing angle is closer to zero degrees (not sure what options for this there are). Second, you can remove the furniture and wall-mount the display using a mount that allows a downward tilt. Of course, there is always the option to forego watching 3D content--don't know how important 3D is for you.
post #5135 of 12619 Old 02-03-2014, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinJerry View Post

You are experiencing a known characteristic of 3D viewing. The Spears &Munsil ver 2 Blu-ray test disk even has a test for this phenomenon. There are really only two options. One would be a stand mount that allows you to tilt the display downward so the viewing angle is closer to zero degrees (not sure what options for this there are). Second, you can remove the furniture and wall-mount the display using a mount that allows a downward tilt. Of course, there is always the option to forego watching 3D content--don't know how important 3D is for you.

Unfortunately, thought this was going to be the case.  Thank you.

post #5136 of 12619 Old 02-03-2014, 08:58 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 165 Post(s)
Liked: 211
Yep, Superbowl on Comcast 1080i looked very good. I wasn't listening closely, did commentators make mention of 4K cameras that were used for replay and slow-mo stuff?

Also, am I crazy or does today's picture on (65/900) the television look even better after the PKG 4.201 AAA update?

Lee
#SuperUserbySony
---Sony has provided me with complementary products for evaluation. Participation in this program does not affect my posted comments, concerns or criticisms. ---
jjnbos likes this.
post #5137 of 12619 Old 02-03-2014, 08:59 AM

Liked: 21
Quote:

Right. I had no interest in 3D, but I was dazzled by it briefly. I just don't have much interest in messing with my optical control. I really don't like sunglasses either... and I take off my glasses often when I'm not reading or sight seeing. No, if the 3D was not there, I would not have missed it. No, my blu-ray player does not do 3D and I don't care. I'm reminded of the old days when a barber would put the child on a board across the arms of the barber chair. We just have to elevate you.
post #5138 of 12619 Old 02-03-2014, 09:29 AM
AVS Special Member

FWIW, here is a link to the discussion of the importance of vertical viewing angle on passive 3D sets:  http://www.avsforum.com/t/1442511/spears-munsil-hd-benchmark-blu-ray-2nd-edition/360_20#post_23773361

The two tests on the Spears & Munsil ver 2 disk are "Depth steps positive" and the "Depth steps negative".  If you have the disk, and enjoy 3D viewing (talking to you, Quovadis ;)), you should run the tests to ensure your viewing angle is not compromised.

post #5139 of 12619 Old 02-03-2014, 12:17 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 29
So I bought the accent lighting LED strips. I have my TV mounted on the wall.

I really like the look of the top strip as it puts out a nice even glow. The bottom strip, because the back isn't perfectly flat across, puts off weird shadows and I'm not sure that I like it. I do however really like the affect the lighting does have. The black bar at the top during movies literally blends right into the frame. The bottom bar does not as the lighting isn't as even and sort of distracting.
post #5140 of 12619 Old 02-03-2014, 12:33 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkolk View Post

The HEVC Codec to receive Netflix 4K.

It's not just a codec it requires a hevc decoder chip i.e hardware. Sorry but I really don't think the TV (in its current form) will ever do Netflix 4k steaming natively
post #5141 of 12619 Old 02-03-2014, 02:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by laakness View Post

So I bought the accent lighting LED strips. I have my TV mounted on the wall.

I really like the look of the top strip as it puts out a nice even glow. The bottom strip, because the back isn't perfectly flat across, puts off weird shadows and I'm not sure that I like it. I do however really like the affect the lighting does have. The black bar at the top during movies literally blends right into the frame. The bottom bar does not as the lighting isn't as even and sort of distracting.

I think the bias lighting improves PQ significantly. You are correct--it takes a bit of effort to position bias lighting so that the proper amount of light is being emitted, and that the lighting is not causing distracting shadow patterns behind the set. I have my display wall-mounted as well, but I use a different bias light, one from IdealLume. It is a small fluorescent tube with a rotating baffle that allows me to dial the amount of illumination up or down, and to control the shadows. Keep experimenting, you will find the right setting that is pleasing to the eyes.
laakness likes this.
post #5142 of 12619 Old 02-03-2014, 02:56 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 103
hopefully, there will be something that existing x1 media player owners will be able to do to view streaming 4k, if and when it comes to fruition

The BEST thing to happen would be able to just watch it natively through our TV's, without needing any sort of extra device...
Time will tell how this will all play out, but until then, all this discussion here is just S W A G..
post #5143 of 12619 Old 02-03-2014, 03:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Yep, Superbowl on Comcast 1080i looked very good. I wasn't listening closely, did commentators make mention of 4K cameras that were used for replay and slow-mo stuff?

Also, am I crazy or does today's picture on (65/900) the television look even better after the PKG 4.201 AAA update?

Lee
#SuperUserbySony

I downloaded the new FW this morning. Not sure that I can see an improvement, but then the display was looking pretty good anyway. I did check closely, but didn't find that any of my settings had been altered by the download. I also checked the X1 player to see if the audio issues had cleared up, but no, they are still there.

I'm looking forward to a description of what this update fixed/enhanced.
post #5144 of 12619 Old 02-03-2014, 03:28 PM

Liked: 29
Quote:

I think the bias lighting improves PQ significantly. You are correct--it takes a bit of effort to position bias lighting so that the proper amount of light is being emitted, and that the lighting is not causing distracting shadow patterns behind the set. I have my display wall-mounted as well, but I use a different bias light, one from IdealLume. It is a small fluorescent tube with a rotating baffle that allows me to dial the amount of illumination up or down, and to control the shadows. Keep experimenting, you will find the right setting that is pleasing to the eyes.

Thanks Jerry, good to know about the IdealLume. That may solve my lower lighting issues with it being uneven since that light will stay straight and not flex with the shapes behind the lower portion of the TV's back.
post #5145 of 12619 Old 02-03-2014, 03:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by laakness View Post

Thanks Jerry, good to know about the IdealLume. That may solve my lower lighting issues with it being uneven since that light will stay straight and not flex with the shapes behind the lower portion of the TV's back.

Here is a link:  http://www.cinemaquestinc.com/ideal_lume.htm

post #5146 of 12619 Old 02-03-2014, 03:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 186 Post(s)
Liked: 252
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdrozdowski View Post

I don't see this being like 3D at all. For 4k, I see streaming as being key to this as well as widespread adoption of a single format (i.e HVEC/h.265). Google isn't helping much by introducing their own format. So at best, you could compare this to Blu-Ray vs HD-DVD early on - but for streaming only. As far as 4k BluRay - we should have a single format soon. 4k broadcasts - well, I highly doubt that is coming anytime soon (at least in the US). Everyone just switched over to HD and surely isn't interested in going through that again. But no matter - I see broadcasts going away and streaming taking over in the next 5-10 years anyhow. Then it won't matter - you have HD tv, you use HD streams. Have 4k? Use 4k streams. 8k? etc... Which should be a good thing - provided infrastructure continues to improve.

In terms of everyone having their own service - this is no different than it is today. Yes, its quite annoying, but at least there are a few general services that get you 90% of the content you want. If you really want the specialized 10% content, then you can pay for that as well. Or don't - vote with your dollars. I'm less concerned with the big players have their own streaming services rather than the individual broadcasters requiring you to subscribe (for only $9.99/mth!) and still make you watch their commercials in the process...
You're right, there are lots of streaming/physical media options that exist side-by-side now, but the key thing with that is the physical format(s) had boots on the ground before streaming became a viable option. With DVD there was no petty squabbling to distract from the take-up of the format*, which is why it was so phenomenally successful, perhaps too good, because those riches persuaded rival companies and studios to take up arms and duke it out over HD on disc. That format war was an unholy mess, and although Blu-ray has made some good gains it's never really smashed it, partly because of consumer confusion at the beginning and partly because of the proliferation of streaming services in recent years.

That's why I'm concerned that the uptake of 4K media will simply become a streaming free-for-all without the base of a unified physical format to guide it from the start. Even though the modern consumer is familiar with all of these streaming options, and may even be subscribed to several of them already, splintering the 4K distribution market so early on will be anathema to most normal folks. I know that much because I've been working in electrical retail for a long time; when it comes to new formats people want simple, not "you can get this from there, that from here, and this from over there", right from the off. I've seen 3D go from the next big thing to yesterday's news in the space of about 4 years, simply because there wasn't a unifying force tying it all together for a concerted assault on consumers. And with seemingly everyone already fighting for a piece of the 4K distribution pie and no sign of a physical format, I'm dreading how this will turn out.

* Yes, there was DIVX but that was crushed very early on.
zAndy12 likes this.
post #5147 of 12619 Old 02-03-2014, 03:52 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff D View Post

You're right, there are lots of streaming/physical media options that exist side-by-side now, but the key thing with that is the physical format(s) had boots on the ground before streaming became a viable option. With DVD there was no petty squabbling to distract from the take-up of the format, which is why it was so phenomenally successful, perhaps too good, because those riches persuaded rival companies and studios to take up arms and duke it out over HD on disc. That format war was an unholy mess, and although Blu-ray has made some good gains it's never really smashed it, partly because of consumer confusion at the beginning and partly because of the proliferation of streaming services in recent years.

That's why I'm concerned that the uptake of 4K media will simply become a streaming free-for-all without the base of a unified physical format to guide it, becoming ever more fragmented. Even though the modern consumer is familiar with all of these streaming options, and may even be subscribed to several of them already, splintering the 4K distribution market so early on will be anathema to most normal folks. I know that much because I've been working in electrical retail for a long time; when it comes to new formats people want simple, not "you can get this from there, that from here, and this from over there", right from the off. I've seen 3D go from the next big thing to yesterday's news in the space of about 4 years, simply because there wasn't a unifying force tying it all together for a concerted assault on consumers. And with seemingly everyone already fighting for a piece of the 4K distribution pie and no sign of a physical format, I'm dreading how this will turn out.

The fragmentation has happened. But I still see the key players - Netflix, Apple, Amazon, etc riding high from the 4k. I agree, people want/need simple - and that will evolve. I still think there's plenty of room/time for someone to come in and disrupt the whole video streaming technology with something that simplifies and unifies it. We'll likely see a lot of smaller things happen in the near term and an ultimate shake out. The younger generations don't want physical media - the writing is already on the wall for it. And quite frankly, if I can get quality streaming - I don't want boxes of Blu-rays (or worse - outdated blu-rays) that I have to find some place to store and ultimately haul around next time I move. wink.gif

All in all - I don't see physical media as necessary for 4k adoption. It'd be helpful - but not necessary. I also think its still too early to predict doom and am rather optimistic that it will be successful long term - even w/o 4k Blu-ray or any other physical media form.
post #5148 of 12619 Old 02-03-2014, 03:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 186 Post(s)
Liked: 252
But I wants my 4K on disc!
tdrozdowski likes this.
post #5149 of 12619 Old 02-03-2014, 03:57 PM

Liked: 61
Quote:

Does anyone have any suggestions as to fixing the 3D issue

I think most of the wall mounts allow the screen to be tilted at least a few degrees. The OmniMount "ULPC-L" allows -5 to +15 degrees.

A little geometry: tangent of 5 degrees *10 feet = almost 1 foot.

So if your eyes are within a foot of the center of screen that would work, plus there has to be a little be of margin (IOW the 3d effect works at least a few degrees of perpendicular). However if you need a table mount you're stuck.
post #5150 of 12619 Old 02-03-2014, 04:04 PM

Liked: 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjnbos View Post

However if you need a table mount you're stuck.

Omni mount (I have a ULPC that we aren't using do to Wife Approval Factor) have several wall mounts they say are for our sets, see their product selector (this is for 55)

http://www.omnimount.com/mountfinder_results/manufacturerid/1122/modelid/36053/

They have a new model especially good at tilting (10 deg = 2' elevation change in 10')

http://www.omnimount.com/products/tv_wall_mounts/tilt/oe150t/

I'm sure many other brands out there. Maybe a tilting table top exists somehow.
post #5151 of 12619 Old 02-03-2014, 04:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Before selecting one of the nice solutions that have been proposed, I think the first step should be to assess how much of a vertical correction is required. I referenced several test tracks on the Spears & Munsil disk that reveal how bad the problem is. By running these tests and simply elevating one's seat, it would be easy to determine whether the correction needs to be several inches, or several feet. Once this is known, the right solution can be considered.

The S & M disk is available for $30 from a number of sources, and is a good investment for anyone wanting to get the most out of their display. Make sure you get Version 2, which includes a number of 3D tests and demonstration materials.
post #5152 of 12619 Old 02-03-2014, 04:54 PM
Advanced Member

plus, his "warden" has to approve any changes, and, she might be ok with a nice looking tv stand, but might forbid anything hanging on the wall...
I know mine did...eek.gif
post #5153 of 12619 Old 02-03-2014, 05:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wase4711 View Post

plus, his "warden" has to approve any changes, and, she might be ok with a nice looking tv stand, but might forbid anything hanging on the wall...
I know mine did...eek.gif

You married guys need to learn how to buy the significant other's approval....   ;)

wase4711 likes this.
post #5154 of 12619 Old 02-03-2014, 05:21 PM
Advanced Member

trust me, I have, but I have learned to pick my battles, and tv mounting is one that I would gladly trade for something more important to me!cool.gif
jjnbos likes this.
post #5155 of 12619 Old 02-03-2014, 06:52 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 41

I watched part of the Superbowl. Not because I understand American Football, but because it's such a huge event over here.

Actually, it's the first sports event I have ever watched on this Tv. I used the SPORTS setting for the first time. It was a horrible picture. Way too bright and the colors were over-saturated.

I then switched to Cinema 2 which uses warm 1. 

Quite frankly I have no clue why Sony are offering the Sports option which looks way too over-powering?

I'm sure Jerry saw it with warm 2 turned on ....Shhh!! Don't tell Jerry I said that !!

What settings do you guys use to watch sports?

post #5156 of 12619 Old 02-03-2014, 07:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by quovadis123 View Post

I'm sure Jerry saw it with warm 2 turned on ....Shhh!! Don't tell Jerry I said that !!

What settings do you guys use to watch sports?

Too late. You are busted. Did you run the 3D tests I recommended?

The Super Bowl looked fantastic using Warm2, Reality Creation=Manual, and MotionFlow=Standard. My jaw kept dropping because the PQ was so good.
post #5157 of 12619 Old 02-03-2014, 07:47 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by benes View Post

I don't think they would lie about such a thing.

I've had many Sony products and have never felt lied to.

The simple explanation for the firmware upgrade from HDMI 1.4 to HDMI 2.0 is that the TV had more than enough hardware processing power out of the box to cover the requirements of the eventual standards of HDMI 2.0. When the standards were released they simply uploaded the parameters into the TV via a new firmware and add the HDMI 2.0 option set. Sony's way of making sure that people would not have a dud fresh out of the box. If it had been I'd be pretty against a Sony TV in the future. Sony has plenty of competition.

I guess it's like a car. Alter the engines performance mapping in the ECU and the car accelerates faster... yet its the same physical car
jjnbos likes this.

Sony STR-DA5800ES Amp + Sony KD-55X9005a 4k TV
Paradigm Reference Studio 100 (F L+R)
Paradigm Reference Studio CC-690 (C)
Paradigm Reference Studio 20 (F L+R Heigh)
Paradigm Signature Sub 1 (F)
Paradigm Reference Studio 60 (S L+R)
Paradigm Reference Studio 60 (R L+R)
Paradigm Signature Sub 1 (R)
post #5158 of 12619 Old 02-03-2014, 09:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by benes View Post

I don't think they would lie about such a thing.

They may not lie on purpose, but many times with technology you get products that do not fully support all the specifications of a standard because the product was released before its time. It's just one of those cases: cavet emptor.
post #5159 of 12619 Old 02-03-2014, 09:42 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Reading the above posts about posts about accent/bias lighting - was curious. Would this help with the reflection/mirror effect that this TV has? Unfortunately, my TV is in the 'great room' which has a giant sliding glass door/window and other windows in the kitchen area. I keep the blinds shut - but still can see reflections like mad. Was just wondering how I could change up the lighting in the room to counter act all of this - would the bias lighting help?

Also - has anyone tried using the Philips Hue strip lighting as accent lightning? I have those lights in other places in my house, was thinking that they could be decent for this scenario as well...
post #5160 of 12619 Old 02-03-2014, 10:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdrozdowski View Post

Reading the above posts about posts about accent/bias lighting - was curious. Would this help with the reflection/mirror effect that this TV has? Unfortunately, my TV is in the 'great room' which has a giant sliding glass door/window and other windows in the kitchen area. I keep the blinds shut - but still can see reflections like mad. Was just wondering how I could change up the lighting in the room to counter act all of this - would the bias lighting help?

Also - has anyone tried using the Philips Hue strip lighting as accent lightning? I have those lights in other places in my house, was thinking that they could be decent for this scenario as well...

Bias lighting is behind the display, so it would do nothing to alleviate screen glare, unfortunately.  Bias lighting, to be effective, must be color temperature 6500K.  If you are asking whether the Phillips Hue strip lighting can be used as a bias light, I don't know.  Is it 6500K?

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Sony Xbr 65x900a 65 Inch 1080p 120hz 3d Led 4k Ultra Hdtv , Sony Xbr 55x900a 55 Inch 4k Ultra Hd 3d Led Tv
Gear in this thread - 65x900a by PriceGrabber.com